• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Check out what Richard Garriott (The Creator of UO) is up too!

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Looks pretty so far, like WoW with houses. Nice!

Think I will need a new computer for this game, and to get a large house, a bigger bank account in real life.

:(

I think this is a proper version of a 3D UO, but I don't really care for the soft edges of items like furniture as compared to the hard edges of 2D.

Kobolds one of humans biggest enemies, doesn't WoW have kobold miners?

Wait...what's this write your own script create scenes business at the end of the video?

Time to visit the Shroud of the Avatar website I think.

Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will eat my hat if this game survives longer than a year

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, Housing will also be able to be gained through in game currency and questing. It isn't all about the all mighty dollar, but the game has to be funded in some manner. There is no big corporation backing this. It is supported solely on community.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far, crowd funding has coughed up more than $3 million. That should keep it going at least a year, long enough to see Promathia eating a hat.
LoL yeah and we should make sure he keeps his word. :)

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you really misjudge how much it takes to develop and run an MMO. This article is a great read http://www.gamebreaker.tv/news/can-learn-mmo-development-costs/

So SOTA raised 3 million? That was the initial development cost for Everquest in 1999.

Unlike other MMO's out there, this is very much a group project. There are scores of volunteer Developers who use the Unity developer tools to add artwork and game scenes, objects, characters, etc.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unlike other MMO's out there, this is very much a group project. There are scores of volunteer Developers who use the Unity developer tools to add artwork and game scenes, objects, characters, etc.
That's great, but this isn't 1997. There are way too many MMO's on the market, and I remain confident that SOTA only lasts about a year after release. I would love to see how many microtransactions are in the game upon release.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a little more interested in the game the boards are devoted to, but who knows I may well be unusual in this respect, as in others.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Elder Scrolls online... whos with me?

*crickets*

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's great, but this isn't 1997. There are way too many MMO's on the market, and I remain confident that SOTA only lasts about a year after release. I would love to see how many microtransactions are in the game upon release.

What makes UO different from other MMO's is one of the same that will guarantee its success and that is a classless system. Even the questing system uses NPC interaction as the NPCs use AI to interpret keywords. It isn't about click and follow, but interaction with the environment. The more you dig into the videos and information about this game, the more amazed you will be as it is way different than other MMO's in nearly every aspect.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What makes UO different from other MMO's is one of the same that will guarantee its success and that is a classless system. Even the questing system uses NPC interaction as the NPCs use AI to interpret keywords. It isn't about click and follow, but interaction with the environment. The more you dig into the videos and information about this game, the more amazed you will be as it is way different than other MMO's in nearly every aspect.
Thats great, shouldnt this be on the SOTA forum or something?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SoTa has 30,000 people in the donators already..29,500 of which are current, ex, and future UO players..it's in the right spot ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SoTa has 30,000 people in the donators already..29,500 of which are current, ex, and future UO players..it's in the right spot ;)

Thats great, but there is a seperate forum for SOTA, this is Uhall where it states " This is the place for general discussion about Ultima Online gameplay, development issues, and related Ultima Online issues. Please keep posts on topic, and use the Stratics Off Topic forum for off-topic posts!"

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats great, but there is a seperate forum for SOTA, this is Uhall where it states " This is the place for general discussion about Ultima Online gameplay, development issues, and related Ultima Online issues. Please keep posts on topic, and use the Stratics Off Topic forum for off-topic posts!"
Thanks dad!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SotA isn't an MMO last I heard. More like a stand alone game with brief online elements. Boring.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I correct to say it would cost me $45 for "Adventurer" level to gain early access? Has anyone on here tried this out? I'm sure i read before they have already done one alpha test or something like that.

Also looking in the store the housing seems expensive. $165 for a plot then the houses seem to start at $50!

I'd definitely give it a shot.

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, Housing will also be able to be gained through in game currency and questing. It isn't all about the all mighty dollar, but the game has to be funded in some manner. There is no big corporation backing this. It is supported solely on community.
I can't say I have any problem with houses being for sale for cash if it's easy enough to get them ingame still

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SotA isn't an MMO last I heard. More like a stand alone game with brief online elements. Boring.
This is the only thing ive found i dont like about Shroud so far. that you can choose to interact only with people on your "freinds list" if you select that option. its basically a huge "ignor" button. you can also play the game offline.

in my opinion, if you log into a mmorpg you should be forced to interact with everyone. like it or not. if you dont like it dont play an mmorpg.

I havent heard much about the pvp in this game, which will be the deciding factor for me. i hope the servers are handled like wow so there wont be "complainers" everyone on wow chooses which server to play on, (pvp, pvm, rp, pvp rp) the initial segregation makes for much more enjoyable gameplay, as you already know everyone on the server has at least a similar mindset.

If theres no unrestricted pvp in this game i wont play it.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I correct to say it would cost me $45 for "Adventurer" level to gain early access? Has anyone on here tried this out? I'm sure i read before they have already done one alpha test or something like that.

Also looking in the store the housing seems expensive. $165 for a plot then the houses seem to start at $50!

I'd definitely give it a shot.
Adeventurer gets you alpha access now and the first release episode of the final game. There are planned to be 5 "episodes" in total. There have been 2 early Alpha tests so far, of the first city Owls Head, then Kingsport and Crafting.

The prices you're looking at for houses are for early access to placement; basically there's an offline and online persistent mode; think Diablo basically. Housing and their plots can be bought with in game gold... offline you can own everything ever (eventually) but in online persistent the spots can be taken by other people. Thus if you buy ahead of time you've the right to claim a spot of your choice before the non-payers can grind their way to buying one. Some of the home design types will be store only.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the only thing ive found i dont like about Shroud so far. that you can choose to interact only with people on your "freinds list" if you select that option. its basically a huge "ignor" button. you can also play the game offline.

in my opinion, if you log into a mmorpg you should be forced to interact with everyone. like it or not. if you dont like it dont play an mmorpg.
I heard this exact same thing when they were talking about what they were planning to do with the game. It's exactly why I've not been following it closely. I want to see everyone around, not just (I dread the thought) my Facebook friends?

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I heard this exact same thing when they were talking about what they were planning to do with the game. It's exactly why I've not been following it closely. I want to see everyone around, not just (I dread the thought) my Facebook friends?
So then why are people trying to say "Check it out, its like oldschool UO!"

This sounds nothing like oldschool UO

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've got the beta and will be playing this weekend... but so far, I'm not impressed.
same here, played the last beta.... ugh i wanted so much more. is skyrim online so much to ask?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, similar to Diablo3 joining with a limited amount of players, which is fine, It looks like it'll be good but it's not a true MMO, I don't see it lasting more than a year or two unless something is changed with that.

It definitely looks good for passing the time though, I'm sure I'll try it out, but I can tell you it's not going to replace UO.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to pop in over on their forums. Still no word if their will be player versus player stealing. If there is...I'll definitely be trying it out. If not...:( ...la

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been testing SotA a bit, so far they have not created anything related to PVP, their still focusing on building the actual world, cities, graphics etc. they have been making it sound like the entire world will be like felucca in UO, but you can choose to only play with a group of 100 or so people, in which case the chances of you being PK'ed while mining or something are very small, however you can go to whatever the popular area for PVP ends up being and find people to fight at any time. since this game is still 8 months away from being launched, they can of course make any changes they want still. If you have suggestions for the developers, post on the official SotA forums, they truly do respond to almost every question or suggestion. :)

Last edited:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'd be surprised if the Kickstarter support ($3 million) was all the development funding. Typically, crowdsourcing is more about demonstrating to real investors that your venture has broad interest/support.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been testing SotA a bit, so far they have not created anything related to PVP, their still focusing on building the actual world, cities, graphics etc. they have been making it sound like the entire world will be like felucca in UO, but you can choose to only play with a group of 100 or so people, in which case the chances of you being PK'ed while mining or something are very small, however you can go to whatever the popular area for PVP ends up being and find people to fight at any time. since this game is still 8 months away from being launched, they can of course make any changes they want still. If you have suggestions for the developers, post on the official SotA forums, they truly do respond to almost every question or suggestion. :)
Just to expand on this; I don't have time to locate it now I'm afraid, but they've sketched some rough ideas for how PvP will work... it will be opt in, but possibly via quests, that is you take a quest to deliver an item that people want to steal, which flags you as PvP enabled and people can hunt you down and take it. But, that was just an idea, they're nowhere near specific subsystems yet, even combat isn't in at present. And if you spoke to an NPC in Alpha R2 they reminded you of that!

As for funding, yes the Kickstarter is just a part of it; I've heard figures of a $10 million total with other sources of funding bandied about...

Last edited:

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to expand on this; I don't have time to locate it now I'm afraid, but they've sketched some rough ideas for how PvP will work... it will be opt in, but possibly via quests, that is you take a quest to deliver an item that people want to steal, which flags you as PvP enabled and people can hunt you down and take it. But, that was just an idea, they're nowhere near specific subsystems yet, even combat isn't in at present. And if you spoke to an NPC in Alpha R2 they reminded you of that!

As for funding, yes the Kickstarter is just a part of it; I've heard figures of a $10 million total with other sources of funding bandied about...
Thanks for the Info!