• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Changes coming to Test Center

Neton

Journeyman
i have 1. how should i test it correctly? i tried training it and nothing happened (no change from 4 slots to 3). i tried release and retame and still 4 slots.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
i have 1. how should i test it correctly? i tried training it and nothing happened (no change from 4 slots to 3). i tried release and retame and still 4 slots.
Neton, if it is a pure white, you need to talk to a GM to see is=f they can fix it for you...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
it is unfortunately a high stat low cold resist pure white and can GM fix it?
Yes, you have nothing to lose by asking. Only try to do that on weekdays not on weekend, as there are more GM's available then. I do NOT think you will be asking for something illegal. You have a rare pet, VERY hard to spawn. If you paid for it 30-40 M to begin with the pain is much greater, but even if you spawned it, you may spawn daily for 1-2 months to get one like this one, esp if high HPS! So the pain is there anyways. Please call them and be persistent. Your pet imho is bugged and can be likely fixed. Just dont give up. Otherwise at 4 slot untrained it is not very good. Also if one GM tells you "nothing can be done", ask another one. You are NOT asking anything illegal.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
PP WW tested 3->5 . Didnt slotjump.
PP NM (3 out of 3) 2->5 didnt slotjump.
Seem to work fine.
Tested 3->5 dreadmare, also seemed fine.

Tested a 2slot void nightmare for reference, also seemed fine.

PP 4 slot prepatch WW didnt go back to 3 slot, still not fixed. (also something GMs say they cant fix)
Tried release / tame + reset training.
PP 4 slot dreadmare, didnt go back to 3 slot, still not fixed. (also something GMs say they cant fix)
Tried release / tame + reset training.

GMs seem to not want to touch slot jumped pets at all, Ive petitioned quite a few but always been denied.
GM River, Chernabog etc all say it. And they seem to be the active GMs.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
GMs will not fix slot jumped pets, no matter how hard you try. It isn't like a pet stuck in Discord, where you just have to find the "right" GM that knows how to fix it.

You were able to fix them yourselves pre-99 by releasing and re-taming. However, since releasing and re-taming was what led to one of the pet exploits, in Pub 99 they made pet slots static once tamed and released -- pets slots are no longer re-calculated on taming them, they are what they are.

I do not see this changing, as this fixed a pretty serious exploit (hello 2-slot CU's, Hiryus, etc.). Some on these forums are hopeful the devs will "fix" being unable to lower a slot jumped pet, but honestly that time has come and gone.

Yes it sucks if you have a slot jumped pet, especially if it was a rare pet, but there was an entire patch cycle to fix it. Stable them as a memento and move on to a new pet.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Sounds like my pre-patch 3 slot dragon is going to slot jump to 4 if this patch goes live as is, so he'll only get 1 round of training. If that is the case, will he be worth keeping? I doubt there will be enough points to set his resists/regens/magics/scrolls, even if I just kept magery on him to save points. He has over 800 STR, but I think his HP is low (at work now, can't remember what HP is exactly).

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you give some more information, stats, skills etc before the jump?
Unfortunately, no. I was testing something else and was not expecting a jump. I know that I did add a bunch of heavy stats that round. I added some HP, and it jumped when I maxed out Str right after.
I still have the same untrained drake, so I will try to duplicate it today.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately, no. I was testing something else and was not expecting a jump. I know that I did add a bunch of heavy stats that round. I added some HP, and it jumped when I maxed out Str right after.
Was discussing your post with khyro before you responded and we were wondering if you went heavy into stats. Kind of like the old slot jump issue when stats were invested in heavily the first rounds. Will be testing this thoroughly.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Were you mounted by chance? We had a guildie that was available go over to test real quick. He tried two legacy mares and stat dumped into Str then Hits on one, and Hits then Str on the other. Neither slot jumped and trained fine through to 5. They also tamed a fresh spawn poison crimson drake, and stat dumped heavy into hits in the first round, then str the second. Again, was able to train it all the way to 5 without jumping.

Did you add any magicals that you can remember? Do you still have this pet on TC that you can post a screenshot of lore page after the jump?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Were you mounted by chance? We had a guildie that was available go over to test real quick. He tried two legacy mares and stat dumped into Str then Hits on one, and Hits then Str on the other. Neither slot jumped and trained fine through to 5. They also tamed a fresh spawn poison crimson drake, and stat dumped heavy into hits in the first round, then str the second. Again, was able to train it all the way to 5 without jumping.

Did you add any magicals that you can remember? Do you still have this pet on TC that you can post a screenshot of lore page after the jump?
I was not mounted. I did add AI, Chiv, resists, and some of the regen stats going from 2 to 3. At three I raised HP a bit and then maxed Str to 700 at which point it jumped to 5.
Unfortunately I deleted that character to make room for a new copy (was messing with it late last night and did not think before acting). I can generate an unmodified version.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Khyro? Are you the developer on this? If so, could you make a change to Animal Lore so that if you have the prompt up, it will close it and reopen it rather than block you? Otherwise, like now, you have to manually close the prompt then use the skill or it won't allow you to.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Khyro? Are you the developer on this? If so, could you make a change to Animal Lore so that if you have the prompt up, it will close it and reopen it rather than block you? Otherwise, like now, you have to manually close the prompt then use the skill or it won't allow you to.
I wish :p You are probably thinking of Kyronix. I am just a player that likes to test and theorycraft and test some more~

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I just tried it again with a copy of the same pet going through steps in the same order to the best of my recollection and I could not duplicate it.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be good insurance to start training on prepatch pets, before the next patch drops? I've read, and it doesn't seem like it would be needed, but I'm just wondering if it would give you more certainty that they won't jump up. The only two pets that I have to be concerned about are PP nightmare and Bane Dragons, which I have left completely alone while I get more knowledgable on pet training.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have some answers to the post above.

1. If you dont want to train your pets, give them to me!

2. Bring them to LS, I will train them for a fee.

3. Why arent all your pets trained yet? I have >10 that are done with the last 1501 points that can make any build.

4. What are you waiting for? The devs to do what they did with Dragons? (Chicken Little channeling)

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some answers to the post above.

1. If you dont want to train your pets, give them to me!

2. Bring them to LS, I will train them for a fee.

3. Why arent all your pets trained yet? I have >10 that are done with the last 1501 points that can make any build.

4. What are you waiting for? The devs to do what they did with Dragons? (Chicken Little channeling)
1. I'll be sure to give them to someone and let you know.
2. No. If you want to do some builds on test center with them and post it here for everyone to benefit, that would be worth trying to get together and try to do. Oh, and I'd even do that for no fee, lol.

3&4.

I haven't trained them because I'm a returning player, so I have been trying to skill up, and also haven't got the scrolls to finish them.

My thoughts have been to finish redoing my skills, get better armor, then go get scrolls. At the point where I had a set of scrolls for them, I figured I would be knowledgeable enough, and able to make my mistakes over on test center before doing the final completed build.

Also, UO has a good community, so there will other ideas that I didn't think of, that I might want to use. There's no undo training button if I learn that too late.

In the mean time, I've got 2 PP Mare (2 slot) and 3 Bane Dragon (3 slot) sitting around waiting. Honestly, the only real purpose I can think of for the bane dragons is to do a champ spawn build, but it seems like you could do a good enough one with post patch pets as well. So the good news is they are not wrecked yet. PP Mare is sweet, but it absolutely deserves a set of scrolls.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My answers were for generic players. Not you specifically.

Theres a lot of fearful players out there that need your go get em attitude. :cheerleader:

AI and chivalry all around!!!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
1. I'll be sure to give them to someone and let you know.
2. No. If you want to do some builds on test center with them and post it here for everyone to benefit, that would be worth trying to get together and try to do. Oh, and I'd even do that for no fee, lol.

3&4.

I haven't trained them because I'm a returning player, so I have been trying to skill up, and also haven't got the scrolls to finish them.

My thoughts have been to finish redoing my skills, get better armor, then go get scrolls. At the point where I had a set of scrolls for them, I figured I would be knowledgeable enough, and able to make my mistakes over on test center before doing the final completed build.

Also, UO has a good community, so there will other ideas that I didn't think of, that I might want to use. There's no undo training button if I learn that too late.

In the mean time, I've got 2 PP Mare (2 slot) and 3 Bane Dragon (3 slot) sitting around waiting. Honestly, the only real purpose I can think of for the bane dragons is to do a champ spawn build, but it seems like you could do a good enough one with post patch pets as well. So the good news is they are not wrecked yet. PP Mare is sweet, but it absolutely deserves a set of scrolls.
There can be many reasons for not training the pets yet:
1>=Most important --> Time constraints since some of us work 40-80 hours/week (sadly yes, 80hrs that is me).
2>=Returning player status Plus #1.
3>=The TC1 with pub 100 on it now does not slot jump : Banes, PP mares, and PP WW. I just tested that the other day. Will they change that? If they do that will be the biggest pimp ninja job dirty trick to play on paying customers. Like the cook in the restaurant that spit in your sandwich.
4>=A big one: Some of us don't have Billions of gold in the bank, and the few power scrolls we have have been super pricey, shamefully so. So even if we spent all of our gold in these scrolls, then put them on a pet that is going to be TRASHED by pub 100? No way.
5>=Lots of us sadly do not/don't have time to or equipment to or skills to do the g** damn spawns that spit them out.
6>= Lots of us do NOT agree or have the moral fiber to CHEAT by going to websites that sell these PS. The PS are not that expensive in these websites, but it is CHEATING, and also against the game rules of conduct and TOS.
7>= Finally lots of us play the game to have some fun and relax from our sometimes high-tension real lives, real jobs obligations etc. So the pet training is nice to go a little and relaxed at a time, mostly. It sucks when it becomes another high tension job.
8>=Some of us are really pissed that they forced upon tamers the need to either become PVP players and camp spawns to get PS, and also about the very miscalculated approach to pet advancement by using these PS. So lots of us just gave up on pet training on and off.

I am sure there are probably other reasons also..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
4>=A big one: Some of us don't have Billions of gold in the bank, and the few power scrolls we have have been super pricey, shamefully so. So even if we spent all of our gold in these scrolls, then put them on a pet that is going to be TRASHED by pub 100? No way.
You missed the part about the >10 pets I have trained to max but still 1500 points. You can get them ready, you dont have to put the scrolls on until you get them.

Slot jumping is a myth! (Don always hated that when I said it in chat)

Pub 100 does not TRASH pets!

FEAR FEAR FEAR <---- You have to know Allen to understand that.

8>=Some of us are really pissed that they forced upon tamers the need to either become PVP players and camp spawns to get PS, and also about the very miscalculated approach to pet advancement by using these PS. So lots of us just gave up on pet training on and off.
Completely untrue. Cossack and DC are on LS. We do spawns in Fel just fine. (Don will hate me for saying that) It is a secret.

Know your shard, know what PvP groups battle, yell in chat what guild is raiding you where.

Meet the PvP guild leaders. Make them some nice pets and leave room for scrolls. They will protect you or give you the scrolls they get from the guild that raided you. They like Nightmares.

(shhh... we talk to both the major pvp guilds on LS)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I keep a lot of unfinished pets in my stables also, in fact, when we do pirates, any guildie tamer who is available will just train everything we have in the stables to cap on that pirate. We usually do 2-3 pirates at a time sometimes 4 or 5. So we end up with a bunch of finished leveling pets and just need finished specs/scrolls.

And *gulp* Pawain is right about Power Scrolls. My guild hasnt been raided in over a year. If you know your shard, your pvp guilds and the visiting pvp guilds, it gives you a distinct advantage. You would not believe some of the people on my server that are able to mass farm power scrolls, definately not the pvp crowd.

Last edited:

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You missed the part about the >10 pets I have trained to max but still 1500 points. You can get them ready, you dont have to put the scrolls on until you get them.

....We do spawns in Fel just fine....It is a secret....
OK, when you first commented I didn't realize what the reply was about, so first and more importantly, YOU are a great UO player. OF COURSE, YOU make the best decisions, no discussion.

Anyway, yeah, so maybe someone will talk about how to best build a pet for doing a solo spawn other than just raiding and camping Baracoon, but one where you have a better chance to pull scrolls and return with them. I know for me, I want to be at a level where I'm not that guy who can't hang and always needs a rez before joining a guild. Plus, are they ok with a casual player and have low levels of guild drama, but at the same time not "that guild" full of time burners that can't do basic things and need constant coaching?

So, anyway, that's great and yeah, it's all worth about $10. I get it. I'm playing UO for fun, so I want to build a pet that if I make a mistake I can just go get another one and try again. Then actually use it, because it's only fun for a while to train pets. If I can get scrolls, and I have the understanding, then I will use it on a personal pet that's pre patch, or trade them off for something that will make my game more enjoyable. Or yeah, if I make good friends while playing again, give them one, because UO is about having fun and randomly making friends.

Like I already mentioned, if I had full sets of scrolls for all the prepatch pets, I don't know if I would even train up even 1 Nightmare today. I still need to train and use a few 5 slot pets to feel 100% solid on my training choices, because even if all the advice and guides are well intentioned, if the build isn't good for my play style and I don't use the pet, it's not useful to me.

Anyway, back to the important stuff. Yeah, that's great what YOU do. I 1,000% validate that, just be understanding that I don't play on your shard, so you can't give me a full set of scrolls for free.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, anyway, that's great and yeah, it's all worth about $10. I get it. I'm playing UO for fun, so I want to build a pet that if I make a mistake I can just go get another one and try again. Then actually use it, because it's only fun for a while to train pets. If I can get scrolls, and I have the understanding, then I will use it on a personal pet that's pre patch, or trade them off for something that will make my game more enjoyable. Or yeah, if I make good friends while playing again, give them one, because UO is about having fun and randomly making friends.
We all agree that YOU should train up a Cu or two or some Hiryus that are disposable and get no scrolls to learn the system. IMO the easiest pet to train is a 2 slot Najasaurus. You can save points at the end for scrolls. Or just see how it works.

I did not know you were a returner, but we all are here to have fun. Also to have fun in the actual game.

OK, when you first commented I didn't realize what the reply was about, so first and more importantly, YOU are a great UO player. OF COURSE, YOU make the best decisions, no discussion.
:lie:

Aww thank you.

Anyway, yeah, so maybe someone will talk about how to best build a pet for doing a solo spawn other than just raiding and camping Baracoon, but one where you have a better chance to pull scrolls and return with them. I know for me, I want to be at a level where I'm not that guy who can't hang and always needs a rez before joining a guild. Plus, are they ok with a casual player and have low levels of guild drama, but at the same time not "that guild" full of time burners that can't do basic things and need constant coaching?
There is a player on LS that does spawns when she plays she uses a 110 scrolled purple Hiryu and does the spawns that are commonly raided. I hear her get mad in chat once in a while. Everyone knows her so if another guild is on, they will go kill the raiders and give her the scrolls. Mage/weaver/tamer is a very good template and easy to use. You remeber to use your gift of Life spell every 10 minutes and you can res. So, yes you can run solo or with a guild or a group of 3 can do a spawn and have fun.

Like I already mentioned, if I had full sets of scrolls for all the prepatch pets, I don't know if I would even train up even 1 Nightmare today. I still need to train and use a few 5 slot pets to feel 100% solid on my training choices, because even if all the advice and guides are well intentioned, if the build isn't good for my play style and I don't use the pet, it's not useful to me.
There are building threads for the Nightmares: How to train your legacy Nightmare (without messing it up)

There is one for getting a Cu to a good template Choosing points for a Cu slot 3 to 4. 1st points allocation Then some sample builds. Cu Sidhe Builds AI/Civ is best

Template for Lessers Choosing points for a Lesser Hiryu Slots 1 thru 4

Template for Hiryu Choosing Points for a Hiryu Slot 3 to 4. 1st Points allocation

AI/Chiv is best again...

Save the scrolls for the PP pets and a good stat/color Cu and Lesser

Anyway, back to the important stuff. Yeah, that's great what YOU do. I 1,000% validate that, just be understanding that I don't play on your shard, so you can't give me a full set of scrolls for free.
My pets eat my scrolls. Allen dont sell pet scrolls! Much less give them away. (except for 110s for new players that I help train pets with so they will go kill stuff with me.)

So, Welcome aboard. The addiction will be strong in you. Have fun and ask questions!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
because even if all the advice and guides are well intentioned, if the build isn't good for my play style and I don't use the pet, it's not useful to me.
That is the most important thing with taming, to find the pet that fits your playstyle and that you enjoy your pet.

Take your time, have fun, and tell us what you end up liking.

Quite a few of us on these forums actually have fun training pets (just dont ask Pawain about skilling). They are like Pokemon and we have to collect them all.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Changes to Special Move list order:

Live Order:

New Order:

Not sure why they did this, but at least Armor Ignore and Armor Pierce aren't next to each other anymore.
Thing is though, they kept Crushing Blow on there. Crushing Blow does jack **** for a pet, it doesn't add any extra damage.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Slot jumping is a myth! (Don always hated that when I said it in chat)

Pub 100 does not TRASH pets!

FEAR FEAR FEAR <---- You have to know Allen to understand that.

Completely untrue. Cossack and DC are on LS. We do spawns in Fel just fine. (Don will hate me for saying that) It is a secret.

Know your shard, know what PvP groups battle, yell in chat what guild is raiding you where.

Meet the PvP guild leaders. Make them some nice pets and leave room for scrolls. They will protect you or give you the scrolls they get from the guild that raided you. They like Nightmares.

(shhh... we talk to both the major pvp guilds on LS)
Pawain I respect you a lot for the work you have done and the great advice for pet training.

Inn therms of the PvP buddies :
I have family members that PvP, that is the only part of t he game they are interested in, or I should say were interested in since I hope they do not play the game anymore and concentrate on their education.
I used to do PVP many years ago. There is nothing wrong about it. Unless it involves PK, that in reality if theft of intellectual property, an activity supported by this game.
I go to Fel all the time, every day for resources etc. This was not about me.
Its about the vast majority of UO tamers and other players that do NOT want to do PVP or PK.
I dont think its FEAR FEAR. I think its frustration of having some1 steal your work that people have expressed. This looks like geting "protection" in the standard racketeering scheme. All I am saying it should not have to be so just to scroll pets, according to the wishes of most UO players, and I think they should be respected also.
Anyways We should NOT derail this thread with this bs, as it has been hotly debated multiple times with 1001 posts each thread.
Also: Slot jumping? You think that the posters that posted slot jumps were wrong? It has been fixed supposedly, but it looks like it did happen previously.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The FEAR FEAR FEAR is training pets.

I got 2 PMs since then from timid players that are ready to take the plunge. Train those pets, stop waiting!!!

The people you are arguing with in that thread are on LS!!! They dont stop us from doing spawns in fel.
There is also no reason to fear Fel if you go to spawns that the PvPers would never do anyway.

I have not posted about spawns because we have kept that quiet for over a year now. It is time for Tamers to know that they can do spawns and feed their hungry pets!!! (Don is not going to like this)

Also it is summer, the kids are on vacation with mommy and daddy.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I meant Steal Life, was apparently a desync between my head and hands :X
How much of the 75 total damage returned as HP?
Got around to testing this more thoroughly. It looks like you return 100% of the Steal Life damage as healing. This is decent on low resist targets, but once you go against something with even ~70 resists, you are only getting around 22 healing over 5 seconds. Steal Life also doesn't scale with your pet's damage bonuses (Str, Anat, Tactics, etc.), it is a static amount.