• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Candid Coverage News] Star Trek in UO???

I

imported_Pasquinade

Couldn't have said it better... Enterprise totally deviated from established Trek history. I avoided the series, and have only seen it in SciFi reruns.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Personally, as an avid Star Trek Fan, I don't consider the tv series "Enterprise" Star Trek, nor do I accept its stories as Star Trek Canon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur...and further, I say in the Star Trek family, let series Enterprise be stricken from the genealogy, and its memory lost in time. The writing &amp; story lines are bad enough (snoozefest anyone??), but then when you add casting choices...

Scott Bakula really should have stuck with making Quantum Leaps.

-Skylark

G

I personally like Voyager the best out of them all, and yes, I have seen every original episode and all tng and ds9 episodes. I missed about 1/2 of season 6 and most of season 7 of Voyager however, which I am in the process of watching the entire 7 seasons again (on disc 3, season 6 atm). I stopped watching Enterprise about 1/2 through due to lack of interest and moving at the time it was on the air and new. I'm slowly catching up with the ini-marathons on Sci-Fi.

Voyager is my personal favorite. They were going to bring the Voyager crew back home when DS9 was cancelled and have them continue like TNG did, but ultimately decided to keep them on their journey to find home and cancel it in the 7th season to allow Enterprise to fill that niche. Unfortunately, Enterprise failed.

I so hope they make another Star Trek series and keep on the path of the evolving story-lines like TNG and Voyager did.

Don't get me wrong, I lobe the Movies and am so glad they are continuing to make them. I just would like some weekly new Star Trek love.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone else excited to see the new Star Trek movie that is comming out? lso there is a new X-Files movie in the making as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Yes!!! I am even more excited that Sylar (from Heroes) will be playing Spock! Without ANY make-up, he looks like Spock! *imagines a vulcan death grip accompanied by a superhuman skull cutting finger gesture* *Spock becomes all powerful and goes to steal the power of a nearby Crystalline Entity*

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Images-Of-Sylar-As-Spock-Leak-Out-6907.html

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They should have used Shatner's Star Trek Universe as the jump-off, and instead of doing that mirror-universe episode earlier, had the series end with the revelation that the "Enterprise" universe was the mirror universe Kirk would later encounter (after all that 1 TNG episode with the multiverse-jumping Worf made it clear there were a LOT of alternates out there). It would actually fit, in a number of ways (essentially, having things go south after that point, and it all being driven by Cochrane KNOWING that the Borg were out there as a danger, and causing the eventual slide into paranoia and belligerance).

J

Justy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well according to the series, Enterprise, Archer was the first Enterprise capt'n.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, as an avid Star Trek Fan, I don't consider the tv series "Enterprise" Star Trek, nor do I accept its stories as Star Trek Canon.

That Series ignored and or rewrote established lore that was set in previous Star Trek Series and novels. This is one of the Biggest reasons that the series was a flop, and its director was canned (Thankfully). Too top it off, according to the Original Series, the Enterprise as it appeared in that series was the first Star Ship Enterprise, and visually the one from this latest disaster of a tv series looked nothing like it should have.

RIP Rick Berman may he be forever banished from Directing/writing Star Trek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when First Contact made Zefram Cochrane a human and not from Alpha Centurai that mucked up the Star Trek canon. That retcon made it easier for future rewritngs of history. The Alpha Centurians were supposed to be the first race met. Warp Drive was a combined effort between the Humans of Earth and the Alpha Centurians. Both were puttering around at sub-light and using sleeper vessels. The Vulcans were met later after warp drive was discovered.

Go ahead! Burn me as a heretic for clinging to the old ways! But I will die with conscience clean and pure.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That Series ignored and or rewrote established lore that was set in previous Star Trek Series and novels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,

1. Afaik, the novels aren't canon.
2. I don't really remember there being much of a conflict with it and the other series canonical lore.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, Encounter at Farpoint rewrote canon by having a nuclear war take place (see "Assignment: Earth", IIRC), that was apparently NOT Khan's or Green's. This was continued even into First Contact, where I THINK reference might have been made to Green, but that might have only been in the adaptation or unrelated novels in the same era (Strangers from the Sky, probably)

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

That Series ignored and or rewrote established lore that was set in previous Star Trek Series and novels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ... having hung with some "high-end" trekkies ...
that quite thoroughly "dealt" with the "Canon issue"

Everything Star Trek ... IS canon ...

The Original Series, introduced BOTH,
Time travel, Tomorrow is Yesterday(slingshot),The City on the Edge of Forever(alien artifact) ...{ two methods out of ...4?}reference
Alternate Universes, The Alternative Factor, Mirror, Mirror

Toss in "God like" entities ...Metamorphosis, Who Mourns for Adonais, Charlie X, The Squire of Gothos ...

Just Saying ...
Everything Star Trek ... IS canon ...

G

Actually TAS isn't considered Star Trek Canon at all.

But yeah, its a bit more vague with Star Trek than it is for for instance Star Wars.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Actually TAS isn't considered Star Trek Canon at all.

But yeah, its a bit more vague with Star Trek than it is for for instance Star Wars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe not for you, but, lacking any bonefides as to being the "Most High" word of/on canon re: Star Trek ...

Your opinion is also no greater or lesser than any ...

for the religeously fanatic trekers
canon 1,2,3
1 a: a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council
b: a provision of canon law
2[Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin, from Latin, model] : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine
3[Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard] a: an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture
b: the authentic works of a writer
c: a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works &lt;the canon of great literature&gt;

and the well versed dabblers
canon 4,5
4 a: an accepted principle or rule
b: a criterion or standard of judgment
c: a body of principles, rules, standards, or norms
5[Late Greek kan&amp;#333;n, from Greek, model] : a contrapuntal musical composition in which each successively entering voice presents the initial theme usually transformed in a strictly consistent way

The use of "canon" as 3b+5 shows you to be "in error"

burma shave

G

<blockquote><hr>

At the end of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, all licenses for Star Trek spin-off fiction were renegotiated and the animated series was essentially "decanonised" by Gene Roddenberry's office. Writers of the novels, comics and role-playing games were prohibited from using concepts from the animated series in their works.[3] The Star Trek Chronology by production staffers Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda does not include the animated series

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thats the somewhat official word on that. But yes, Star Trek isn't exactly all that well controlled like for instance the Star Wars franchise is.