• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we please do away with pets going wild?

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't be quick to judge the attachment players have to their pets. I quit for about 7 years after I lost my White Wyrm.

I started playing in 2002. Right before Samuri Empire came out, I was in Doom trying to board the ship to enter the Gauntlet. Someone rang the bell and did not have a skull to give. A Skeletal Dragon spawned. It turned my WW wild and someone killed it before I could re-tame it. That was the first WW that I ever tamed. It was second only to my Nightmare, which I still have by the way. After my wyrm died, I was so pissed off that I quit UO & did't come back for 7 years.

Now, I don't see the problem with making it so pets don't go wild. It doesn't matter to me if people say "tamers are OP", "tamers got it easy". There is no good reason why a pet should go wild.

If you're a tamer and think that pets should go wild, just release your pet when you get bored & leave the rest of us alone.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay i'm just going to throw this thought experiment out there:
Has anyone seen the movie The Prestige, where the guy sets up a teleport trick, but actually, he never teleports himself, he kills himself each time he does the trick and a duplicate clone carries on his life and there are a ton of dead bodies he has to dispose of...
a bit like when you get beamed up in star trek, some people beleive they're suicide booths.

What if... every time you stable your pet or walk through a server....it is already a new pet.

I'm just throwing the thought experiment out there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
okay i'm just going to throw this thought experiment out there:
Has anyone seen the movie The Prestige, where the guy sets up a teleport trick, but actually, he never teleports himself, he kills himself each time he does the trick and a duplicate clone carries on his life and there are a ton of dead bodies he has to dispose of...
a bit like when you get beamed up in star trek, some people beleive they're suicide booths.

What if... every time you stable your pet or walk through a server....it is already a new pet.

I'm just throwing the thought experiment out there.
Then everytime you took it out it'd be different in some way. But it's not.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ofcourse it is, you think that when you stable the pet, there is a real stablemaster who really takes in this pet and feeds it. All you do is save a file of numbers on a part of a drive, and the system generates a new pet based on those numbers.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ofcourse it is, you think that when you stable the pet, there is a real stablemaster who really takes in this pet and feeds it. All you do is save a file of numbers on a part of a drive, and the system generates a new pet based on those numbers.
There is a sub server that has robot hamsters that never stop. When the servers shut down, the sub server keeps everything in tact. When a crash occurs, the sub server takes over.

There is a stable master in there, he does feed our pets and he brushes their coats. My pets also do skilling in there, I sure dont!

Everything is mathematical. If our pets do not really exist then I am sure there is a formula showing we dont exist.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hands down, that's the uttermost dumbest thing I've ever heard. And every software developer or any person who knows anything about objects, entities & instances (software-related that is), will agree.

Every time you log into the game, the client is creating instances of all objects & entities, which are required to run the game. Like characters, items, mobs, levels, you name it. Every. Single. Thing. You. Seen. On. Screen. (And even more things you don't see or don't even know they exist). That's how software works.

So do you also want to tell us, that people created "new" characters every time they log in or cross a server boundary?
:facepalm:

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stop crying is not a legitimate argument and I ignore flame-baiting; it's a waste of time.

I hope with EJ though, some things get addressed, but eh, I'm not sure how new player friendly the Devs are really going to be.

Given all other changes, pet wilding is archaic. I would not wish to visit it upon newbies.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IIRC the only reason we have pet-autolog, is to prevent loosing the pet because of going wild. Well, if they would prevent pets going wild on their own, like the OP suggests, they could remove that workaround as well (and just log the pet with logging the char, which would also mean no more cheesing out of combat, because you would have to wait until the the combat flag on your char wears off). Would be a nice tradeoff...

Plus then they could also remove that "feature", that the pet auto-recalls to your position upon re-logging. Means you would have to go & find your pet on your own should it run off. (Then it also would be nice to have a "Recall pet" option on any stable master, just in case you really don't find your pet anymore).

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IIRC the only reason we have pet-autolog, is to prevent loosing the pet because of going wild. Well, if they would prevent pets going wild on their own, like the OP suggests, they could remove that workaround as well (and just log the pet with logging the char, which would also mean no more cheesing out of combat, because you would have to wait until the the combat flag on your char wears off). Would be a nice tradeoff...

Plus then they could also remove that "feature", that the pet auto-recalls to your position upon re-logging. Means you would have to go & find your pet on your own should it run off. (Then it also would be nice to have a "Recall pet" option on any stable master, just in case you really don't find your pet anymore).
Finally! Some sanity!

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am glad to see that some tamers are finally coming around to see that pet auto log is an exploitable "feature"

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am glad to see that some tamers are finally coming around to see that pet auto log is an exploitable "feature"
Except it not a exploit when they more or less tell you it is working as intended :)