• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we get Ultima lore-friendly guns in UO yet?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Judging purely from the "political leanings" of those in "power"... I'm gonna go with a no way in heck.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it sad that we ignore a part of the game based on politicsl bias. I actually agree with aran on this one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt Political is the motivation. Machine guns and rocket launchers would have to follow.

Maybe a pet gun turret instead.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The next exspansion.....Ultima Online Fortnite Edition.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt Political is the motivation. Machine guns and rocket launchers would have to follow.

Maybe a pet gun turret instead.
No they wouldn't. We already have cannons, that hasn't led to artillery and tanks.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well if you can have cannons I gotta think you could achieve a flint lock. Single shot. I would love a flint lock pistol on a belt artwork for my pirate. They would balance it out to have the same effect and distance as a bow or whatever so it wouldn't be a one shot kill. You'd probably have to carry all the junk you need for a cannon too lol. I don't see it being much of a factor either way. If I had a vote I'd say no to it but would still love the pistol belt graphic :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it sad that we ignore a part of the game based on politicsl bias. I actually agree with aran on this one.
I don't think these items are not included due to politics. It's just that when you have guns, swords and energy bolts are kinda pointless. You can ignore theme like they did with cannons, but the less the better, IMO.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we need Ultima Online Star Wars Edition...
Become a jedi, and fight for justice at yew gate with your'e light swords...zwoooing zwooing !!!!

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Lol we have dinosaurs why not guns? How about an automatic potion launcher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In order to get Guns you have to get rid of the first obstacle. That obstacle is the Producer at this time.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In order to get Guns you have to get rid of the first obstacle. That obstacle is the Producer at this time.
Actually, PvPers would not allow any changes to their kingdom. Your gun will be a pop gun very quickly if they did any damage to players. PvMers dont care if something has some killing power.

I want a tank:
upload_2018-7-17_17-46-11.png

or pet cannons.

My new white Cu

upload_2018-7-17_17-59-1.png

Last edited:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I may actually play through all those games again. I played them all. Thats how I became hooked on UO.

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not political--------->The first device identified as a gun, a bamboo tube that used gunpowder to fire a spear, appeared in China around AD 1000.[2] The Chinese had previously invented gunpowder in the 9th century
not original Gariot Ultima games style

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would be curious if Ricky ever intended to add guns at some point. The Avatar did travel from our time yes?

Adrahil

Adventurer
It would be something interesting for Tinkers to construct other than repair deeds and potion keg parts.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My opinion: They are in the lore, add them. Stick to the lore and don't apply biased morals and you can't go wrong. You've got blow guns and ninja darts and poisoning and.... etc already. It's a pixel world, not reality.

Last edited:

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
why the hell would you add guns to the game, when it is already difficult to balance all the bows we have.

Also, we have canons already. Not good enough?

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
why the hell would you add guns to the game, when it is already difficult to balance all the bows we have.

Also, we have canons already. Not good enough?
Because they are in the lore already? Maybe some people don't want to hunt only with bows. Balance isn't our problem, that's on the Devs, but getting the lore right shouldn't be too much to ask.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not asking for machine guns. Arquebius, Blunderbius, and Flintlock Pistols. Should be right around the level of Technology that Brittiana would have. Not to mention there is also a chance of misfire with cbc primitive firearms.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At this point why not also add a new class as well

Cowboys and Indians nvm that’s not political correct either

How about just outlaws and pirates class that can have guns but limit the magazines to only 10 rounds and no removable clips or speed loaders

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So has Mesanna or another dev actually flat out said that the reason for no guns is political? I sure don't remember any such statement. Even if there is that aspect to it, I very, very much doubt that is the only reason. I'm hardly one to cheerlead, but I think there are some unfair oversimplifications taking place in this thread. And frankly as much as some people want to decry opposition to guns in UO as political or one individual's personal whimsy, I've no doubt that at least some of the endorsement of the idea is just that. There's two sides to that street.

But ultimately it's not about politics or personal preference. It's about resource allocation versus payoff. Investment versus reward.

I mean, I RP a pirate. She would absolutely be toting some kind of firearm if they were an option. Even if I couldn't shoot it. Regardless of what I as a player do or don't think about guns in real life. It's a game.

However, it's a game with very limited resources, and introducing guns, especially as some are describing here, would be a whole new set of weapons and probably a new skill. They could either clone/graft onto archery, which would mean it would ONLY be for looks and would require lots of art just for aesthetics, or they could make it an actual complete skill, which would require extensive testing and re-balancing and so on.

The game already has loads of weapons that get little use, and several skills that are useless or nearly so. Even introducing just one gun type would likely be a significant expenditure of resources, even if it's only art skinned over archery weapon/skill--we're talking new weapon art for character, paperdoll, and backpack, probably new movement animation art, for walking, running, and mounted/flying, for up to three races (two if you count elf and human as the same--I'm not sure if they are entirely the same animation-wise or not), across two clients--and for what? MORE weapons for an already severely over-complicated system?

What are you really wanting here? A full fledged new skill, or a particular appearance?

If it's just appearance, I say toss something in the store, a re-skin of a bow or something. Maybe. If it's not prohibitively difficult to incorporate the art, which I suspect it would be if you want anything of halfway passable quality. (They should be selling re-skins left and right in the store anyway...). I'd probably buy a few if they looked okay.

If it's a full skill, then the question shouldn't be why can't we have guns. The question should be what would guns bring to UO that would improve or enrich the game as a whole enough to justify the development time and effort? The answer to that, as far as I can see, is very little. I'm not even necessarily opposed to the idea depending on execution; I just seriously doubt it's a good use of limited resources. I'm not saying it's impossible either, just that it is much more complex than "but they are in the old games". So is Lasher, and people complained when that was added (and it was added weirdly... Lasher was a unique character, not an endless fountain of rainbow ponies, but I digress). So is Mars, but I don't see people arguing for that or complaining about "political correctness" when it doesn't happen.

What are you really asking for, and what does/could it bring to UO's game experience that would make it worth the resource investment?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was just making fun of this thread and mocking the past additions (samurai, ninja and elf’s)
I said this when SE came “what’s next guns Star Wars with lasers”

We should have orcs not all this other BS

By the way I do own hunting rifles but they are locked up in a friends house because I have under age kids at home. I’m on the fence with this hole gun issue.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My opinion: They are in the lore, add them. Stick to the lore and don't apply biased morals and you can't go wrong. You've got blow guns and ninja darts and poisoning and.... etc already. It's a pixel world, not reality.
UO is generally set in the middle ages of Ultima 7-8, and ninjas and samurai are not out of place in that time setting. Guns and spaceships are. The only games that had elements that were outside of this period were the early ones, and those random elements were dropped from the more polished chapters for a reason. Outside of easter eggs, there's really no reasonable backing for guns or spaceships or any of that. Just because RG was tossing **** on a wall to see what would stick early on doesn't mean all of it should thus be represented in UO.

This game already has enough out of place stuff, it needs less not more.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So has Mesanna or another dev actually flat out said that the reason for no guns is political?
I think people who want guns are more likely to want them included for political reasons than those who don't. People just want guns in UO because they like guns, and 2nd amendment people can get really myopic. Like guns not being in game must be a political statement.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think people who want guns are more likely to want them included for political reasons than those who don't. People just want guns in UO because they like guns, and 2nd amendment people can get really myopic. Like guns not being in game must be a political statement.
I hope that is not the case. I played guns as a child. I have guns. We had gun racks on trucks that had loaded rifles on them that we drove to high school. We were horrible bullies to each other. No one thought of using a gun at school. I walked into a Gibson's (like a walmart) with a rifle to get the correct ammo when I was 16.

Society has changed. I would prefer more restrictions in RL but UO is a game.

I gave my reason. PvP rs would nerf them in a day.

I want a rocket launcher on my Cu as stated earlier.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UOGuns.png
Firearms are included in Ultimas 1, 2, 3, 6, Savage Empire, Martian Dreams and 7.

Spaceships and or implicit space travel is included in 1, 2, Martian Dreams, 7 and is broadly hinted in at in Underworld 2.

Current Sosaria/Britannia is the "present" state of a fallen higher civilization. A post-post-apocalyptic recovery after the orgy of destruction wrought by Mondain, Minax and Exodus (who was part supercomputer).

While I'm not campaigning for the addition of firearms in UO, I recognize that they have an undeniable history in the source material.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was just making fun of this thread and mocking the past additions (samurai, ninja and elf’s)
I said this when SE came “what’s next guns Star Wars with lasers”

We should have orcs not all this other BS

By the way I do own hunting rifles but they are locked up in a friends house because I have under age kids at home. I’m on the fence with this hole gun issue.
Teach them gun safety at a young age. (I started my daughter and son at 11). Have them take a safety course. Always keep them locked up with ammo in seperate place. The younger they learn gun safety the better. Accidents DON'T happen when you use proper gun safety.