• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we get a "Dislike" button added ?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I realize, if you don't like a thread or topic, don't read it, or if you read it and don't like it, keep it to yourself. In this ever protective society we live in, that's a great thought, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to say "yes I read this, I'm not going to offer my negative opinion because I'll be at risk of getting a warning so instead I'm going to hit the dislike button". As it is, you can read a thread, put your .02 positive spin on it, AND hit the like button. If I respond negatively on something, it can either get me shunned, or warned and my thoughts deleted. I know, didn't your mother tell you If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ?

sigh

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All that would happen is spiteful people would troll the people they dislike and dislike all of their posts, I've seen it on other forums, it's nasty and it's not pretty... the Mods would have to waste their time telling people to stop.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've seen that added on other forums, 100% ended up removing it within a few months. You have to think of it from an administration viewpoint too, "will dislikes prevent people from posting and stunt the growth of the site?"

In nearly all cases the answer to that is yes. It just upsets people and makes them more hesitant to post anything, because they fear the social humiliation of being downvoted into oblivion.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the forums I am a co-founder and admin on tried this 5-6 years back. People simply quit posting and participating and site traffic dropped by 30% in the first 90 days. It was removed its was 100% among the founders of that board that it would be removed before day 91 rolled around. Took a year to build site traffic back up to where it was. A dislike with no further input is in no way productive and defeats the purpose of pretty much any public forum. Much more productive to mod the consistent negative folks and trolls than to have people leaving the boards because they feel marginalized or disliked with zero input as to why.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First of all, I would have to question the premise that people don't comment on posts they dislike. Lol, most of the posts on this forum are people expressing their dislike of something somebody said. It can be done in a way doesn't result in a ban :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't mind me, having a bit of a rough time lately...i would have deleted it but apparently that's not allowed. Anyway, Good Friday to you all :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Don't mind me, having a bit of a rough time lately...i would have deleted it but apparently that's not allowed. Anyway, Good Friday to you all :)
Awwww you poor thing! Here have a hug! *hugs Garth* I hope things will be better for you soon! :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All that would happen is spiteful people would troll the people they dislike and dislike all of their posts, I've seen it on other forums, it's nasty and it's not pretty... the Mods would have to waste their time telling people to stop.

100% correct.

Love me or hate me I am completely unbiased when it comes to the like button. There are posters here who I have disagreed with vehemently both in forum and by PM ... but if they post something special I'll give them a like. Conversely there are certain posters here who wouldnt give me a like under any circumstance. The dislike button would just give them the opportunity to further exercise their prejudice.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would anyone pay attention if the liked or disliked?
Not like that is going to change anyone mind with something they want or think
Have you ever been to reddit? :(

I understand likes simply because it's an easy way for people with nothing new to add to say "I agree!" without having to clutter up a post with extraneous replies. Really if there's a post someone doesn't like then they should respond with a critique and or counter position. If it's not important enough to put some thought into a reply, then simply ignore it. :D

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see less censorship on these forums. Let people exercise freedom of speech. I mean almost everyone hates 3rd party programs, but mentioning said program to help the situation is frowned upon here. I don't get it.
And never call someone a cheater when they post a pic or vid with all of their crap running before or after it is removed by the mods, it might make the cheaters feel bad :) Stratics has gotten rather hung up on political correctness and allowing one person to express their opinion while deleting counter opinions. But their site and they can run it how they want.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I mean almost everyone hates 3rd party programs, but mentioning said program to help the situation is frowned upon here. I don't get it.
We don't mind people talking about what a program does, or how the devs should counter what a program does. The thing that will always get removed is actually naming the program, and the reason for that is by naming it for any reason you are essentially advertising for them. If someone sees the name of the program on Stratics, then goes and googles it to start using it... that post just added +1 cheater to the game even if it was a post about how that program should be shut down. Same thing applies to free shards.

Sentence A which is completely allowed: "A well known cheat program used in pvp lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed by the developers adding ____"

Sentence B which will be deleted: "(Name of program) lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed by the developers adding ____".

All that has to be done is not say or try to hint towards the actual name of the program or free shard, and the post is allowed. It is only when people start trying to name them or convince others to start using them which gets the post removed.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've seen that added on other forums, 100% ended up removing it within a few months. You have to think of it from an administration viewpoint too, "will dislikes prevent people from posting and stunt of the growth of the site?".

In nearly all cases the answer to that is yes. It just upsets people and makes them more hesitant to post anything, because they fear the social humiliation of being downvoted into oblivion.
If this button was added, I would love to achieve most disliked poster in history of stratics. I already achieved this status in UO, I need a new hater trophy for my wall. HAHAHA

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I realize, if you don't like a thread or topic, don't read it, or if you read it and don't like it, keep it to yourself. In this ever protective society we live in, that's a great thought, but I don't see anything wrong with being able to say "yes I read this, I'm not going to offer my negative opinion because I'll be at risk of getting a warning so instead I'm going to hit the dislike button". As it is, you can read a thread, put your .02 positive spin on it, AND hit the like button. If I respond negatively on something, it can either get me shunned, or warned and my thoughts deleted. I know, didn't your mother tell you If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ?

sigh
upload_2017-6-30_13-58-38.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We don't mind people talking about what a program does, or how the devs should counter what a program does. The thing that will always get removed is actually naming the program, and the reason for that is by naming it for any reason you are essentially advertising for them. If someone sees the name of the program on Stratics, then goes and googles it to start using it... that post just added +1 cheater to the game even if it was a post about how that program should be shut down. Same thing applies to free shards.

Sentence A which is completely allowed: "A well known cheat program used in pvp lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed be the developers adding ____"

Sentence B which will be deleted: "(Name of program) lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed be the developers adding ____".

All that has to be done is not say or try to hint towards the actual name of the program or free shard, and the post is allowed. It is only when people start trying to name them or convince others to start using them which gets the post removed.
What doesn't make sense Captn is EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY DO :)

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Sentence A which is completely allowed: "A well known cheat program used in pvp lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed be the developers adding ____"

Sentence B which will be deleted: "(Name of program) lets people endlessly use heals automatically, which gives them a huge unfair advantage against other players. This can be fixed be the developers adding ____".

I understand what your saying but the same time, look at the devs response to someone mentioning one at the meet and greet the other day. They sounded baffled and had no idea it even existed. So in turn we are informing them as to what to look for.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey we could start a new area called General Chat or we could call it the politically incorrect forum where people are allowed to say anything they want that is not illegal.

And anytime a moderator thinks a person has stepped over a line - the post is moved to that forum.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey we could start a new area called General Chat or we could call it the politically incorrect forum where people are allowed to say anything they want that is not illegal.

And anytime a moderator thinks a person has stepped over a line - the post is moved to that forum.
That used to exist, it was called the No Holds Barred forum and was the second most popular forum on the site behind Uhall. At some point a new owner bought the site, was horrified at the thousands of questionable topics, and deleted the whole forum in its entirety.

The last owner put up a poll asking if posters wanted it put back two years ago, and it was a dead-even tie. Over 100 people voted in it and the "yes" side had just one more vote than the no side.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Isnt this called spiels and rants on the forums, but yet its still censored. LOL

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My thought is if you really dislike something someone posts then make a reply and tell them why you don't agree with it...

I will say I have a HUGE amount of likes... but I think I'd have double that many dislikes if anything like that were implemented and I'm really rather glad it's not. People who post on here (some of them not everyone)... are negative and nasty enough they don't need any help being more so...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That used to exist, it was called the No Holds Barred forum and was the second most popular forum on the site behind Uhall. At some point a new owner bought the site, was horrified at the thousands of questionable topics, and deleted the whole forum in its entirety.

The last owner put up a poll asking if posters wanted it put back two years ago, and it was a dead-even tie. Over 100 people voted in it and the "yes" side had just one more vote than the no side.
Thats where @TheScoundrelRico made most of his 35k posts :p

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That isnt a 'dead-even tie' Captn. The forum should have been reinstated based on the results of that poll.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That isnt a 'dead-even tie' Captn. The forum should have been reinstated based on the results of that poll.
One of the yes votes was from me, so maybe he wasn't counting staff votes as part of the total heh. ;)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the second, if not the third (or more), time that a "dislike" button has been suggested for Stratics.

It is an eminently bad idea for many of the reasons stated above.

People complain that Stratics is fairly hostile in its current form, just think of how much more hostile it would be if anonymous asshats with multiple trolling accounts were given yet more power to be asshats. *insert present-day real-world comparison here*

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100% correct.

Love me or hate me I am completely unbiased when it comes to the like button. There are posters here who I have disagreed with vehemently both in forum and by PM ... but if they post something special I'll give them a like. Conversely there are certain posters here who wouldnt give me a like under any circumstance. The dislike button would just give them the opportunity to further exercise their prejudice.
This is exactly how I am if it's something we'll said I'll like it even if I can't stand 99% of there post I'll like it..

What doesn't make sense Captn is EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY DO :)
Not trying to troll you here I promise (I like your post lol)
but I only know of one 3rd party program and have no clue how it works I have never used any of them. I have tried to use uoassist and the map one years ago but didn't like them.
At the same time by "saying the name" of such programs would not in any way entice me to go out and look for it how I feel is, either your the type of person that is going to cheat or your not. I could be wrong though just how I am never understude cheats how do they really feel like winners? Very confused about that.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is true for the most part, though in this case Captn is close but not exactly on the mark. We don't want to provide free lip service advertising for these programs in the event someone doesn't know of any given program, even if they know of one or more other unapproved 3rd party apps. This brings up the second part, until it's stated clearly and plainly in an update to UO's ToS/RoC these programs are still not legal for use. I don't really care what the devs say at a M&G, usually the answers along this line of questioning are ambivalent, non-committal, or just plain sketchy. Until it is changed in writing they still have the option to ban someone for their usage if they want, and we don't want to do anything that could be seen as encouraging the usage of or directing people to information on cheat utilities. Lastly we aren't mind readers, we don't know what programs you do or don't know, and you're experiences may not match another users.

sigh
On this Captn is on the money, every forum I've been on it's turned into a way to harass other users. Imagine our trade board regulars, who much trouble could this cause them if every post they make has 30 dislikes? Would you offer to buys from someone that outwardly appears to be reviled?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As basically everyone said: Dislike button is a bad idea, a community should provide as positive a scene for discussions, if from the community platforms side begins to provide features for users to act negatively on other users, it not only sends a bad message but also somehow legitimize the harsh tone that exists on platforms on the internet as a whole.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The opposite Form of a dislike Button is to Post your thoughts in a respectful manner. But Postings will feed the Troll. That's the disadvantage.
This anti-feed maybe the reason to ask about such a button.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'd like a dislike button as well, because sometimes saying what you really think about a post will get you banned or at least a hand slapped. so rather than tell the dumbass little snowflake, they're a dumbass little snowflake, it might be a good idea to have a dislike button.
I liked it for the sentiment not the idea of a dislike button :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's something that's been asked for more than once, I always felt it was a bad idea. Trolls don't need the encouragement.

There are, believe it or not, polite ways of disagreeing with someone - just saying 'I disagree with that' for example. A 'dumbass little snowflake' can be told they appear to be missing the point? or that you feel their idea is perhaps in need of deeper thought?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

sigh
Maybe it is not a dislike button we need but more a disagree or :thumbdown: button we need as a dislike button could be used to show dislike for the poster more than the contens of the post.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe it is not a dislike button we need but more a disagree or :thumbdown: button we need as a dislike button could be used to show dislike for the poster more than the contens of the post.
Perhaps if folk just quoted more saying um.. no I don't agree with that... And said why etc... and not in a vindictive way but in more of an intelligent manner explaining why and such we could understand one another better.

Honestly though there are many things several folk are passionate about who play UO... Playstyles, clients, cheating, etc...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Any button that has negativity to it will be abused, they always are, as it is if you don't like what a person says you just post your disagreement or you don't 'like' it, there is nothing that can be abused or used to hurt people. On the Marvel Heroes forum people would search and 'dislike' every one of another persons posts if they took offense at what they said, usually when people openly disagreed. Generally the MH forum had really nice people, but even so, the dislike button caused problems.