• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bug: Pets Disengaging from Combat

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pet keeps disengaging from fights for some reason. I'll be fighting something, then all of a sudden the fight stops. I thought it was someone doing area peacemaking, or the monster using peacemaking, but there is no peacemaking skill available in the monsters skill list.

So, I say, WTF!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the mob your fighting casting Invis? since pets reveal it only lasts like half a second but seems to be long enough for a pet to get confused.....not that that takes much...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the mob your fighting casting Invis? since pets reveal it only lasts like half a second but seems to be long enough for a pet to get confused.....not that that takes much...
Yeah, it happens for me a lot, and I've noticed that it happens most often on Crazed mages in Shame. I even tell the pets to follow them and it doesn't do anything. Other casting mobs like Eternal Gazers, Navrey, and Greater Dragons don't exhibit this behavior.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I gave one of my Cu-Sidhes spellweaving and I have found him fairly prone to disengage from combat, and that is fighting unbound EVs, so invisibility is a non issue.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A guild member on Oceania had similar problem. My guess is that your Hiryu has spellweaving? I suspect the pets with spellweaving are casting ethereal voyage by the way the mobs stop attacking the pet as well.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tell the pet to 'follow' the mob that casts, then all kill. It should maintain the battle.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, it happens for me a lot, and I've noticed that it happens most often on Crazed mages in Shame. I even tell the pets to follow them and it doesn't do anything. Other casting mobs like Eternal Gazers, Navrey, and Greater Dragons don't exhibit this behavior.
tell the pet to 'follow' the mob that casts, then all kill. It should maintain the battle.
Beat me to it. :)
@Petra Fyde @Fridgster See Quoted Message. Highlighted for you...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They have been doing that since Test Center....pet fights mob A, beats it down to half then switches to mob B or just stops fighting and returns to owner...mine do it quite often. Training Healing on my Cu killing rotting corpses in Doom and he'll kill one Rotter half way then make a beeline for a mummy half way across the room.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oops, guilty as charged. I guess I was in too much of a rush.

I'm not sure what to make of that behaviour, other than we need to remind them frequently what it is their supposed to be fighting. Put a crimp in the plans of the semi-afk folk I suppose.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Oops, guilty as charged. I guess I was in too much of a rush.

I'm not sure what to make of that behaviour, other than we need to remind them frequently what it is their supposed to be fighting. Put a crimp in the plans of the semi-afk folk I suppose.
No really, they can still tell the pet to guard them and each time a mob targets the tamer the animal will attack, will give it a few bits and stop, just like a puppy!

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My pet keeps disengaging from fights for some reason. I'll be fighting something, then all of a sudden the fight stops. I thought it was someone doing area peacemaking, or the monster using peacemaking, but there is no peacemaking skill available in the monsters skill list.

So, I say, WTF!
Please post the lore of your pet.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
All of us who are having this issue?

My Cu does it while killing rotting corpses, it will all of the sudden stop in the middle of killing one to go take a bite out of a mummy...sometimes it will kill the mummy and sometimes it will go back to the rotting corpse.

HeathStats.jpg

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Hiryu:

Hits - 850
stamina 125
mana 60
strength 616
dex 150
int 321

resists
phy 80
fire 82
cold 75
poison 48
energy 80

Wrestling 100
tactics 106.7
resisting spells 92.1
anatomy 100
detect hidden 79.9
parry 110
Meditation 100
focus 100

Lore and Knowledge
grasping Claw
Dismount

pet advancments
parry 110
tactics 110

4=>5 - requirment 108.0

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm doing this now...and I just told it to kill a mummy..he ran towards it, stopped for a few seconds, then attacked the rotting corpse.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm doing this now...and I just told it to kill a mummy..he ran towards it, stopped for a few seconds, then attacked the rotting corpse.
I had the same with a Neira about an hour ago. Was trying to get my Rune Beetle to attack her, and it responded positively, but never actually approached her until I was practically right on top of her.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah the behavior is REALLY odd. He'll attack something until it's almost dead then switch to something else....or stop attacking it entirely and just come back to me while the thing is beating up on him...silly pets.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The actual animal lore gumps of your pet.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Magery Mastery also seems to give pets more of an archer AI... anything over unlevel terrain or that flys and the pets run around trying to find a ranged place to cast from. Very difficult to get pets to actually attack at a place like Navery lair.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i noticed that for whatever reason it seems like the pets don't do this if you tell them to guard you first, then All Kill target. At least so far, could be an anomaly.

psycoder

Visitor
I had this issue as well, I had to keep spamming "all kill" non stop trough out the fight to keep my pet fighting.

It seems like some parts of the game is broken and pets just decide not to fight sometimes.... This happened to me, if i am not mistaken, when my pet was fighting ancient whyrim,... It literally took me 22 minutes to kill a single with a greater dragon with each skill maxed...

As you can guess, i gave up on using my tamer after that...

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm done with my Hiryu, now I'm doing my Nightmare & it is still happening even on this pet. This disengaging from combat is affecting this pet too. Any ETA on a fix?

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to see an example of this, come to Great Lakes server & check out the Sphynx t2a spawn - Trammel side. It's happening a lot today for some reason.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Rune beetle is doing the same thing now. Fact that a greater dragon is also exhibiting this issue is interesting.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here with my mare except she just freezes on spot on all kill and cast. Then runs in for an attack or two and runs back to me and stands there lookin stupid.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed this issue today while training a boura on Stone Elementals on Shame Level 1. I specifically noticed that when two elementals would attack my pet, it would repeatedly switch to attacking the newer attacker. I'd have to fight it non-stop to get it to finish off the one it had already seriously damaged. Then I started wondering if this glitch had to do with other mobs targeting it. In Shame, there's the Central Cave Troll passage which is blocked off but still has lots of spawn that could have been flagging on my pet, distracting it. Did anyone else notice spawn nearby that might've aggroed your pet but couldn't reach it?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed this issue today while training a boura on Stone Elementals on Shame Level 1. I specifically noticed that when two elementals would attack my pet, it would repeatedly switch to attacking the newer attacker. I'd have to fight it non-stop to get it to finish off the one it had already seriously damaged. Then I started wondering if this glitch had to do with other mobs targeting it. In Shame, there's the Central Cave Troll passage which is blocked off but still has lots of spawn that could have been flagging on my pet, distracting it. Did anyone else notice spawn nearby that might've aggroed your pet but couldn't reach it?
I have saw this more with my casting pets. Took my mare to the Origin EM event last night she mostly just stood there trying to cast. Took her out for a dread pirate, if I run right up next to the dread pirate and all kill she will melee and mage him for a couple of minutes and then run to the opposite end of the ship and go into casting only mode, occasionally teleporting to the pirate. Same with serpentine dragon. The other new glitch I have seen is the pets teleporting onto the Dread pirate ships long before they are scuttled and then just standing there getting pounded on. Only ways I have found to save the pet from a death is to log in and out or open a gate and go through and then back if I give the all follow me command and my ship is close enough to the DP ship. I did notice at the EM Event several of the greater dragons kept disengaging the scalis and running back to their owner as well. Others did not seem to be exhibiting the same behavior though.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Very aggravating situation. Hope they are working to fix it.

Did anyone else notice spawn nearby that might've aggroed your pet but couldn't reach it?
I have noticed that at times but at other times the pet just stops fighting and walks right back to me and stands there almost like it has been peaced but we are alone and fighting things that do not have bard skills. It did that a few times fighting RC's in Doom. The switching is only a minor nuisance right now because low level critters are being killed while it is training but I do not even want to think about trying a Travesty with the AI being like it is right now. Pet would be targeting the mirror images or luring Trav back down to me...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could it be a terrain issue? If you try using honor before killing the monster, do you get a message about not having a clear path to the monster?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could it be a terrain issue? If you try using honor before killing the monster, do you get a message about not having a clear path to the monster?
Nah this is something different. Think it has something to do with the casting critters ai. I have a 5 slot hiryu that doesn't seem to be effected by this and he (she?) Has no ranged casting spells

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happened multiple times with my gator today. Trying to train him on a GD, and he keeps on just stopping and standing there.

Just a slightly trained 1 slot gator.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nah this is something different. Think it has something to do with the casting critters ai. I have a 5 slot hiryu that doesn't seem to be effected by this and he (she?) Has no ranged casting spells
Nope cus my Cu does it ALL THE TIME! Kill a rotting corpse..OH HEY there's a mummy WAY OVER THERE I think I'll go kill that now....:/ stupid dog ;)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Experienced this myself today. Had a mare and a fire steed training fighting a mob, and the fire steed kept leaving to attack something that was behind a wall. It couldn't hit it. I'd all kill back to the original, but every maybe 30 seconds it'd leave to get the one behind the wall.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have only had this problem while using pets that have some form of an Area attack (attack/ability that hits multiple targets in a single use).

I see a lot of people seem to choose "Explosive Goo", that would cause your pet to disengage after hitting more than one target in a single use.

as far as pets attacking things on the other side of a wall... tell your pet to stop > invis your pet > rubber-band yourself so whatever is on the other side of the wall flags you (you cannot have your pet "guarding" you or it won't work).

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have only had this problem while using pets that have some form of an Area attack (attack/ability that hits multiple targets in a single use).

I see a lot of people seem to choose "Explosive Goo", that would cause your pet to disengage after hitting more than one target in a single use.

as far as pets attacking things on the other side of a wall... tell your pet to stop > invis your pet > rubber-band yourself so whatever is on the other side of the wall flags you (you cannot have your pet "guarding" you or it won't work).
Didn't matter for me. I invised the pet, put the fire steed back on the other mob got wall mob to attack me, and the fire steed still kept going for it. Keep in mind too, the wall mob was over a screen away. I could just barely see both mobs on edges of screen, so I know they couldn't see each other. The steed also was untrained, so no effects.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I saw it with a giant beetle with no casting skills, constantly going off the eternal gazer it was fighting (my rune beetle was tanking), to fixate on the other in the complex, even though there were walls and rock between them, and the two gazers (as a result of me fighting the other one an hour before) were each in the two gate rooms, and barely in sight of each other.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is how it will roll out... they will look at it for a few weeks all while remaining deafeningly silent. When they can't figure out what got broke, you will see a blurb in the next newsletter saying that it is working as intended.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Upon further investigation of your reports about pet disengagement, we will be addressing aggro issues for creatures with no line of sight. Pre-Publish 97 pets would attack the closest aggro creature even after all kill command was given. Also, if a kill command was given targeting one creature and then a guard command was given afterwards the pet may disengage from the previous target. Regarding fighting swoop there are lots of Dryads in that area which will peace your pet. Hope this answers you questions.