• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bookshelf at Luna

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll say it again.
If you're paying for an account you aren't using you're not the brightest crayon in the box.

I also do insist that people with jobs care about $15 a month.
Not all of them of course. This is one of the reasons why some people have more than others.

The fact remains, Broadsword UO is dying.
When you look at the numbers, I don't think you can logically debate that without looking foolish.

Maybe if we're lucky Laura Miele will shut this clown show down after the New Legacy flop.

:heart:
Entirely possible... I am fairly ready for that.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe if we're lucky Laura Miele will shut this clown show down after the New Legacy flop.
Debate on the state of the game aside, I don't understand this mentality. There are hobbies I grew bored with or shows I stopped watching, but I never demanded the activity end for everyone. If we are having fun, can we be left to it?

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Debate on the state of the game aside, I don't understand this mentality. There are hobbies I grew bored with or shows I stopped watching, but I never demanded the activity end for everyone. If we are having fun, can we be left to it?
If you're having fun you can be left to it until it's gone.

There are online games running right now with very few people, some with none.
Some games get shut down.

Both are very similar, they are both dead.

Broadsword UO is dying.
It really comes down to poor decision making by Mesanna.
Poor decision after poor decision, for some time now.

If Mesanna made different decisions this game would have been populated and in good shape for a while now.
She has passed up high quality workers in favor of her personal preference choices.
It doesn't have to be this way but things are getting worse and time is running out.

UO will never die but Broadsword might have to go soon.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Side note on what the actual thread topic is....

Anyone kinda think it's semi weird that the clicky for the VDay gift (ie the armor taste tester) ended on March 1 but the book shelf in Luna doesn't end until like March 12? I understand they added it like a week later but if this book was supposed to tell you about the taste tester... and now he'e gone... isn't that kind of backwards?

Anywho carry on about the health of the game; I'm just hoping we get that March content today. More likely it will be next Tues/Wed though.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Side note on what the actual thread topic is....

Anyone kind semi weird that the clicky for the VDay gift (ie the armor taste tester) ended on March 1 but the book shelf in Luna doesn't end until like March 12? I understand they added it like a week later but if this book was supposed to tell you about the taste tester... and now he'e gone... isn't that kind of backwards?

Anywho carry on about the health of the game; I'm just hoping we get that March content today. More likely it will be next Tues/Wed though.
Just knowing what when and where would be nice...

mihali

Sage
I'll say it again.
If you're paying for an account you aren't using you're not the brightest crayon in the box.

I also do insist that people with jobs care about $15 a month.
Not all of them of course. This is one of the reasons why some people have more than others.

The fact remains, Broadsword UO is dying.
When you look at the numbers, I don't think you can logically debate that without looking foolish.

:heart:
Doomsayers have been predicting UO death for about 15-20 years now. There are new faces/players at least on ATL from all over the globe really, all the time. Also other shards.
Also, some people enjoy spending some spare cash on a hobby they enjoy and gripe about. Like UO. Or Golf, or other and for golf you have to pay dues etc. for the membership etc. Different people like different things, some people like to spend some money on UO dues.
They do so because it pleases them, one way or another otherwise they would quit.
Also whose numbers are you looking at? Are they reliable/real?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doomsayers have been predicting UO death for about 15-20 years now. There are new faces/players at least on ATL from all over the globe really, all the time. Also other shards.
Also, some people enjoy spending some spare cash on a hobby they enjoy and gripe about. Like UO. Or Golf, or other and for golf you have to pay dues etc. for the membership etc. Different people like different things, some people like to spend some money on UO dues.
They do so because it pleases them, one way or another otherwise they would quit.
The game is like this forum. If you look at posts last year, you see some names that post now but you see many that do not. If you look 2 years ago you see the same. Look at 10 years ago and you see names that you don't see now. You may see a name that you see now.

UO players come and go. Some stay for a week some stay longer. There are no real numbers of active accounts that you can look at. There are only speculations from people who are jealous of those that are still having fun.

It reminds me of the fact that people have said the world will end soon for thousands of years. I have wondered what is going thru those peoples minds that they think they are so special and things should end for everyone just because they think it will. Again all I can come up with is jealousy that they will not experience the future.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO gets a lot of new content. You have to play to see it. The posters who don't play don't know so they make up lies. Maybe they are jealous because some of us are still having fun year round.
I would hesitate to call those month-long dungeon farm-fests fun. Enemies that you can't lore even at 120, Paragon AI that works like literally none of the other paragons that have been in the game for over a decade (basically, everything in ilshenar - if you approach them properly, those will NEVER retarget to a tamer), and people that get you killed because they don't want to understand the basics of said decade+ old AI.

mihali

Sage
I would hesitate to call those month-long dungeon farm-fests fun. Enemies that you can't lore even at 120, Paragon AI that works like literally none of the other paragons that have been in the game for over a decade (basically, everything in ilshenar - if you approach them properly, those will NEVER retarget to a tamer), and people that get you killed because they don't want to understand the basics of said decade+ old AI.
They are fun for many people. Its game evolution, the old dungeon master challenge. Many people like the challenge, some like push-button trophies and rewards. The player base those that are here and actually play and those at the uo message board and the actual game that are vocal have helped in this evolution by making requests for changes and corrections. There is change and some people do not like it, many others do.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
can you please stay on subject?
this post is about a clicky in Luna

NOT about your opinions about the state of UO
NOR about why people are or are not playing.
if you want to talk about that, then create your own post.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are fun for many people. Its game evolution, the old dungeon master challenge. Many people like the challenge, some like push-button trophies and rewards. The player base those that are here and actually play and those at the uo message board and the actual game that are vocal have helped in this evolution by making requests for changes and corrections. There is change and some people do not like it, many others do.
Congrats, you've missed the point. Paragon AI is over a decade old. All of us have killed hundreds, if not thousands, of them. It is 2022, and there is no excuse for not understanding how they work. The devs changed an existing system FOR NO REASON - you cannot hide at all against these monsters and they randomly re-target to players with no rhyme or reason, which no Ilshenar Paragon has ever done (assuming you approach them properly.) There is a difference between challenging and "challenge" from bad design. These dungeon farm events are the latter. I should not need multiple clients to handle what are essentially "Trash mobs"; that should be reserved for boss-level monsters.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The power creep that has created the new stupor monsters is exactly why NL is doomed no one can take a year off their regular shard...

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
I'm looking at Broadsword's numbers.
The numbers are reliable and real.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look around and see that most shards are a ghost town.
The most populated server looks like one of the lesser populated shards before they became ghost towns.

Anyone who has been around long enough has many points in time to use as a reference for comparison.

You can deny it all you want for whatever reason but the reality is that Broadsword UO is dying.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look around and see that most shards are a ghost town.
The most populated server looks like one of the lesser populated shards before they became ghost towns.

Anyone who has been around long enough has many points in time to use as a reference for comparison.

You can deny it all you want for whatever reason but the reality is that Broadsword UO is dying.
Actually, I have to say after not playing much at all for the last 2 years... then starting to play again in late Nov to now... I have taken a walkabout on my shard and I have found that the population has boomed... it is hard to find a place to drop a house whereas 2 years ago dropping a Keep was not unheard of... or impossible. If you were willing to look... Now you would be hard pressed to find an 18x18 spot in Tram... which to me is a good indication of population increase.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, I have to say after not playing much at all for the last 2 years... then starting to play again in late Nov to now... I have taken a walkabout on my shard and I have found that the population has boomed... it is hard to find a place to drop a house whereas 2 years ago dropping a Keep was not unheard of... or impossible. If you were willing to look... Now you would be hard pressed to find an 18x18 spot in Tram... which to me is a good indication of population increase.
LS also has a lot of new names since the same time.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
can you please stay on subject?
this post is about a clicky in Luna

NOT about your opinions about the state of UO
NOR about why people are or are not playing.
if you want to talk about that, then create your own post.
Pretty much any posts here get derailed, hijacked, and boiled down to one of maybe 6 topics. I apologize for contributing to this.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
You would see more people if there was a population boom.

I could go fill an entire shard up with houses myself.
So could someone on the UO Team.

The houses aren't an indication of a population increase.
This is easy to see if you look around.

It's common for the remaining players to have numerous accounts more so than their predecessors.
Broadsword has used tactics to encourage this type of behavior through various game mechanics.
You know, like town elections and castle contests etc.

As players continue to fall off, it's usually not one account disappearing.
The losses are exponential.

Again all I can come up with is jealousy that they will not experience the future.
I'm not sure what future you're talking about.
Broadsword Ultima Online is dying.

New Legacy isn't going to fix anything.

Not that they would have in the first place but after Broadsword released a Russian military dog breed during Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I highly doubt they will be delivering UO to the broadest audience ever.

I know you like to come off as the authority of all things UO and speak for the shard of Lake Superior and it's players but all the O.G.'s I've spoken with have no idea who you are.
I'm not sure why anyone would be jealous.
I honestly feel like I need to take a shower after responding to the comments of a grown man who plays Broadsword Ultima Online for over 8 hours a day, almost every day.

LS also has a lot of new names since the same time.
I don't think we have have the same concept of a lot.

I view the numbers you describe as a "couple" or "few".

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think we have have the same concept of a lot.

I view the numbers you describe as a "couple" or "few".
You would be correct. Other than myself (who has 3 accounts, 2 of which were previously EJ), there are maybe half a dozen individual players who have returned in the past couple months; one is a guy that I remembered from several years ago, another that I "fought" once or twice (it's more correct to say that she had MUCH better gear than me at the time and absolutely destroyed me. But that's how the days of 4/6 mages went.) The # of people active on LS is nowhere near what the self-proclaimed authority of the shard thinks it is.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You would be correct. Other than myself (who has 3 accounts, 2 of which were previously EJ), there are maybe half a dozen individual players who have returned in the past couple months; one is a guy that I remembered from several years ago, another that I "fought" once or twice (it's more correct to say that she had MUCH better gear than me at the time and absolutely destroyed me. But that's how the days of 4/6 mages went.) The # of people active on LS is nowhere near what the self-proclaimed authority of the shard thinks it is.
DIE DIE DIE

You are one of the returners I speak of. And we did a Mel recently with 8 players that I never saw before. Had to make 2 parties to get all of us in. You have also been to a few crowded Mel runs recently.

4 months ago we were lucky to get 4 or 5 players there.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

All things must pass. When that happens I'll deal with it, in the meanwhile all doomsayers are just noise.