• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong public 81

boltar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bonnie posted on UO.com
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to take a few moments to address the Publish 81 Weapon and Armor changes on TC1. Please understand this was put on TC1 over a month ahead of a normal publish because the changes are so extensive that we wanted your feedback. We appreciate your constructive feedback as to why you like or dislike the changes to Armor and Weapons.

We have no intentions of releasing these changes to production as they are. Right now we are compiling your feedback that is on Stratics and from the feedback emails. We expect to make several changes before this is actually released to all shards.

What our community needs from you is to tell us what your goal is. What are you trying to nerf, or buff or something. Right now saying we will test over a month on this new patch is terrible. Why? Because we are now in limbo on what to farm, what to build, what items to try and craft.

The 81 publish implies to me this:
Nerf throwers
Nerf melee with stamina penalties, leafblade and maybe Daisho
Buff archers to be on par with throwers
Trying to nerf sampires, whammies

Attempting to use stamina penalties to encourage armor selection. <== poor idea as the base. Plate, bone, stud, (etc) aren't strong enough in stats and leather and wood aren't strong enough with the stamina penalties. This causes overall melee nerf.

Attempting to change some special abilities to make them more appealing. The changes proposed will not make us use them because they aren't as powerful as armor ignore, feint etc.

Even though most dont like nerfs I believe we can live with them if you state to us what you are trying to nerf and target that only without it effecting other builds/skills etc.

In summary we would like to continue playing UO with developers goals in mine. Saying we will not publish for over a month will deter us from playing UO in fear we are wasting our time working on certain skills and items.

Last edited:

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with your post and just recently posted something along these same lines. We need to know the goals of this patch. I think we all have assumptions at what this publish is supposed to do, and I think a lot of us are incorrect in its true motives. I have a feeling a lot of users are seeing big changes to their characters and panicking. I think it is perfectly acceptable to "nerf" an overly powerful class, template, or item combination. Of course it sucks when it directly effects your character and that the powerful build you have been using is about to be weakened. Its expected users will complain about it but at the same time they will be told the reason for the changes.

-redman2k

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes maybe if they said what they think the problems are the community can help. I totally agree with the OP. They should say what the goal is.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bonnie posted on UO.com
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to take a few moments to address the Publish 81 Weapon and Armor changes on TC1. Please understand this was put on TC1 over a month ahead of a normal publish because the changes are so extensive that we wanted your feedback. We appreciate your constructive feedback as to why you like or dislike the changes to Armor and Weapons.

We have no intentions of releasing these changes to production as they are. Right now we are compiling your feedback that is on Stratics and from the feedback emails. We expect to make several changes before this is actually released to all shards.

What our community needs from you is to tell us what your goal is. What are you trying to nerf, or buff or something. Right now saying we will test over a month on this new patch is terrible. Why? Because we are now in limbo on what to farm, what to build, what items to try and craft.

The 81 publish implies to me this:
Nerf throwers
Nerf melee with stamina penalties, leafblade and maybe Daisho
Buff archers to be on par with throwers
Trying to nerf sampires, whammies

Attempting to use stamina penalties to encourage armor selection. <== poor idea as the base. Plate, bone, stud, (etc) aren't strong enough in stats and leather and wood aren't strong enough with the stamina penalties. This causes overall melee nerf.

Attempting to change some special abilities to make them more appealing. The changes proposed will not make us use them because they aren't as powerful as armor ignore, feint etc.

Even though most dont like nerfs I believe we can live with them if you state to us what you are trying to nerf and target that only without it effecting other builds/skills etc.

In summary we would like to continue playing UO with developers goals in mine. Saying we will not publish for over a month will deter us from playing UO in fear we are wasting our time working on certain skills and items.

Throwers needed nerfed. They still have the advantage in comparison to archery.
Archers needed buffed. No one plays these because of throwing.

Sampire and Whammies should be nerfed. Soloing peerless shouldn't ever be possible.

drclown

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
on the PVP side, throwers must be nerfed, mystic heals must be nerfed as well as spell pleage, also I believe the stam potion nerf is uncalled for, theres no way as of now to move through monsters in fel without potions, maybe tram it makes since but as of fel it doesn't make since, but again I don't really think the devs really care what the pvpers say, even though we been playing this game longer then they even been working with the company L O L ! so I look at it as a lose lose battle they just gonna do what they want to anyways. theres a few ppl in this game still all they would have to do is talk to them and get advice from the pvp aspect what is needed to be done and im sure its the same way with the trammel.

Otis Leroy Funk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes! Please explain how this proposed patch satisfies what they community called for i. e. make all armors and weapons useful and nerf throwing a little bit.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Throwers needed nerfed. They still have the advantage in comparison to archery.
Archers needed buffed. No one plays these because of throwing.

Sampire and Whammies should be nerfed. Soloing peerless shouldn't ever be possible.
Although I agree in principle, there is a large portion of UO who can only play alone. An even larger population who play only 2-3....The community is dwindling, a large portion can only play in off or odd powers. I myself work late and have kids and when I sit down to play, it may only be for a coulple hours, I don'thave time to spend the first hour trying to raise a party. Back in '99 that would be easy....today....on Catskills....I'm lucky if I come across 1 player, unless I want to stand around Luna. UO may be in the massively multiplayer catagory, but that is definitely not the case anymore. Remember I only speak for Catskills.

Sampires (I don't play a Whammy), are strickly a PVM template and horrible at PVP.....so I don't see how they really unblance the game and never really understood why they are continually targeted. I am a reasonable person, and if it is necessary for the good of the game....double up the peerless HPs, set all resistances at 99%, give them a 1 hit kill, set a 45 min encounter timer, and call it a day. But all that will do will make a unused encounters (see High Seas Bosses).

My point is I don't think that group play is the major play style of UO, and I believe that Sampires are an extremely popular template. I enjoy the challenge of shifting skills around, crafting weapons and armor for a specific boss, working out the tactics...and the ultimate victory. Soloing bosses is such a minor problem in this game. The problem we have is population. The focus should be on getting new accounts.....Come to UO....Play in groups...Play alone...Friday Nights...Sunday Mornings....There is challenge for you....

drclown

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Although I agree in principle, there is a large portion of UO who can only play alone. An even larger population who play only 2-3....The community is dwindling, a large portion can only play in off or odd powers. I myself work late and have kids and when I sit down to play, it may only be for a coulple hours, I don'thave time to spend the first hour trying to raise a party. Back in '99 that would be easy....today....on Catskills....I'm lucky if I come across 1 player, unless I want to stand around Luna. UO may be in the massively multiplayer catagory, but that is definitely not the case anymore. Remember I only speak for Catskills.

Sampires (I don't play a Whammy), are strickly a PVM template and horrible at PVP.....so I don't see how they really unblance the game and never really understood why they are continually targeted. I am a reasonable person, and if it is necessary for the good of the game....double up the peerless HPs, set all resistances at 99%, give them a 1 hit kill, set a 45 min encounter timer, and call it a day. But all that will do will make a unused encounters (see High Seas Bosses).

My point is I don't think that group play is the major play style of UO, and I believe that Sampires are an extremely popular template. I enjoy the challenge of shifting skills around, crafting weapons and armor for a specific boss, working out the tactics...and the ultimate victory. Soloing bosses is such a minor problem in this game. The problem we have is population. The focus should be on getting new accounts.....Come to UO....Play in groups...Play alone...Friday Nights...Sunday Mornings....There is challenge for you....
WOW someone else with a brain! Bring more members too this game. stop putting a 180 on temps and armor. now the game has soo much to do it will take a new member 3 years to understand the whole mechanics. please keep pushing this issue too the DEV's or UO wont be around much longer they will destroy it with purely just the changes like they have in the past!

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah many people do play alone. I often do when I can get on because of my rotating shift schedule and my kid. Though I am reluctant to make a case in favor of being able to do peerless alone. Should we allow the minority to continue to solo, so the majority can take advantage of this? I'm not sure. But I guess we'll see.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Subject : Alternative Motives

Speaking from Baja
In my opinion you have to be ok with playing by yourself. If Friday night or Saturday you can solo Despise with out getting PK'd then we gonna need some armor to HELP us solo. Think about it - killing the current armor (pre publish 81 Feb 8th 2013) would make Despise (the easiest spawn) go from 1 player to 0 on Baja.....

The chief principle that was noted at the birthday party is not even close to coming to fruition. The announcement / goal was to "make armor useful"... Making armor useful and then killing warriors, archers and I guess throwers (have not tested throwers gleaning from others) is all together a disappointment to put it nicely. We were lead to believe at the birthday party the intention was to make armor useful, I would not have stood up and cheered if I had known about the hidden alternative motives.

My concern is, and I will call it for what this publish appears to be (at this point) - Are we going to go after tamers next? make them stand 2 tiles away from their pet or the pet goes wild (because GD disco players can solo)? No one would play a tamer.... How about anyone casting an EV or RC there is a chance the summoned creature goes wild and attacks the caster (because Mystic Disco can solo lady Mel)? No one would cast summoned creatures... No any publish that destroys the entire category of play styles (melee/tamers/mages) should be abolished.

Spell Breaker
Baja

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't there at the birthday party to hear that the announcement / goal was to "make armor useful", but I would have totally agreed with it. Do I like the proposed changes? No, I think they are going about it from the wrong direction. But what I was definitely expecting was a nerf.

In order to make other armors more appealing, lets take a look at the possible options they have. Introduce a new game mechanic (their current patch), weaken existing popular armor choices and buff the other less popular armor, or leave the popular armor as is and buff the hell out of the undesirable gear. I think the majority of people expected them to leave the existing popular armor as it and just buff the hell out of the stuff no one uses.

I'm not certain users should get much more powerful than they currently are. Logically, I think users are too powerful and they need to be dialed back a few notches. But you make a solid argument. UO is a dying game, there aren't a ton of people logging in to help fight the larger bosses. The fact that the game isn't instanced makes it a huge problem to fix. If dungeons were instanced, they could "easily" solve the issue with cross server communication. (I'm not advocating this as a solution...)

Most likely any patch they come up with isn't going to be a popular fix as it messes with people's existing items.

-redman2k