• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Cu build for a Treasure hunter

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the title says! Can someone tell me the best build to solo level six and seven t-maps? I've read through the cu builds, and frankly there are SO many different ones to choose from I found my head spinning! I know everyone has favorites, but is there one that seems to work best for a solo treasure hunter?

I'd like to use my new white Cu. I know the stats are fairly low, but she's cute and she really wants to learn!

Here are her stats:

As you can see, I've barely begun to train her. I took a UO break during the winter, but I'm wanting to start back up with training some of my pets now.

Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you have a Cu with more starting HP? You could take that Cu to Atlantic and sell it for the resists. Some want cold and energy at 72. Yours is real close.

First your Cu has low HP. But, if you are not going to use 120 scrolls you can make it work.

Your best build would be AI and Chiv. Follow This on the first round. Choosing points for a Cu slot 3 to 4. 1st points allocation If you have one with more HP you could add Goo. I would stick with AI and Chiv in case you pull a renegade changeling.

You need to get to the Crazy Mage to train it faster.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd go one step further than Pawain - although his proposals are great as usual and I'd say ... the best "cu" for a treasure hunter is a ... tadaaa ... a 5-slot giant beetle with AI, RC & perhaps even also poisoning ...

Such a beetle already spits out ancient wyrms when it's at GM skill level - it'll get great when scrolled / skilled to 110 and will have a blast with wrestling @ 120 while the rest can be a mix of 110 or 115.

Just make sure you gave it max STR, max DEX / stamina, max base damage, max mana & hit point regen - not more than 5 stamina regen and rest into hit points

While I have to agree, that not much tops a cute "cuddly" ... but from a practical point of view - your treasure hunter tamer CANNOT have a "better" pet than a (fully trained) giant beetle (ridable truck)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
d go one step further than Pawain - although his proposals are great as usual and I'd say ... the best "cu" for a treasure hunter is a ... tadaaa ... a 5-slot giant beetle with AI, RC & perhaps even also poisoning ...
I agree but she asked about a Cu. :D

A beetle can carry your loot away.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A giant beetle? Honestly I would have never thought that a beetle could defeat an AW! I will have to tame one and check it out. I focused on the Cu because I wanted something that I could use for level six and seven maps.

Pawain, most of my stable consists of VERY old pre-aos animals. I even have an old meat eating unicorn!

I don't want to train any of those until I get some experience under my belt, which is why I thought I would tame a new Cu and practice on that one!

Thank you both for the options.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, a Cu or hiryu are good to practice on.

The beetle with 110 or more scrolls would work fine.

Only old Nightmares and flappy pets are better than what we can get now.

If you just returned, your Cu is 4 slot. You will need to get a fresh one that is 3 slot.

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am having great luck with a AI/Chivalry CU with 120 scrolled to all possible items. 700STR 750HP. I farm Rend for Paragon chests and then go treasure hunting with the maps I get. Have not had any issues killing all the mobs that spawn but occasionally die trying to get away. If I used invis potions I would not die.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am having great luck with a AI/Chivalry CU with 120 scrolled to all possible items. 700STR 750HP. I farm Rend for Paragon chests and then go treasure hunting with the maps I get. Have not had any issues killing all the mobs that spawn but occasionally die trying to get away. If I used invis potions I would not die.
Sometimes I focus so much on frustration of not invising that I forget I could use my provo ..... or on some of my characters I forget I have peacing and could have done an area peace and invised ...

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Sometimes I focus so much on frustration of not invising that I forget I could use my provo ..... or on some of my characters I forget I have peacing and could have done an area peace and invised ...
I have not tried the Bard skills yet but seems like it would be hard when the gang of monsters spawn all at once. Thinking I would run around clicking wildly until I died if I tried music skills.... I just run after the lag/pause when the chest fully appears and heal, cure or cast invis as needed. My AI/Chiv CU can solo the mobs with no issue. On a hard group might get "Zeus" down to 60%. Template is Magery 120, Eval Int 120, Taming 120, Animal Lore 120, Mining 100, Lockpick 100. It is a pretty gimpy template but can do L6 chests no problem. I usually do 2 chests a night. To get the maps I drop Mining and Lockpick for SpellWeaving and Meditation and go farm Rend in Labyrinth.

The maps are fun because you get an artifact, imbuing ingredients and decent items to unravel.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I have found a little dislike with the Chiv skill for THunts. EOO can be a killer when you end up with a couple high end critters of different kinds. It becomes a lure away and kill them 1 at a time fest.

Cu are a great choice, but I prefer an AI/Disco build to AI/Chiv.

croy6325

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
still training my disco cu, so I haven't T Hunted with one yet, but my mystic cu has been amazing. Chiv tends to cast eoo at the worst times, but mystic has some serious burst potential

RunningMan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Personally I have found a little dislike with the Chiv skill for THunts. EOO can be a killer when you end up with a couple high end critters of different kinds. It becomes a lure away and kill them 1 at a time fest.

Cu are a great choice, but I prefer an AI/Disco build to AI/Chiv.
I was thinking about an AI/Disco pet. Do you find it more effective then AI/Chiv in general?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was thinking about an AI/Disco pet. Do you find it more effective then AI/Chiv in general?
I like mine, but I can't do a direct comparison as my 5-slot AI/Chiv pet isn't a cu.

the AI/Disco Cu (with a disco of 120, or nearly so if it's died recently and hasn't regained it), does well against massed stuff - it really only struggles on things like the Pirates (super-executioners) in the shadowguard Bar, where discoing the targets means that it takes more reflect from no disco (just like the buffs would cause), and can come close to death if you don't use consume or vetting to supplement its healing.

I've not taken my Tamer TH's cu out yet (Still training), but when using my bard tamer's AI/Disco cu to kill the spawn of a friend's level 6 maps (they're hard pressed with their build to survive a level 3 spawn popping), it does quite well. The only danger is from too many AWs/GDs, in which case I mount it, run to the edge, invis, then try to have it fight one at a time.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Each pet has its better use. For times were there are multiple mobs (like spawns or Tmaps) of different types I prefer AI/Disco. For bosses or single mob types (like Navrey) I like AI/Chiv.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you all are talking about training up to 120. What if you are too poor to train a cu more than 100?

Still AI/Disco or AI/Chiv?

Gardo

Journeyman
So you all are talking about training up to 120. What if you are too poor to train a cu more than 100?

Without 120 Disco, it seems like it wouldn’t land (land often) on difficult creatures. In that case I would go chiv/ai, unless you leave points available to scroll at a later date. (Could do that with either build)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The AI Chiv will work right away. They will die faster as Chiv increases. Make lots of pet builds!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

A 115 disco scroll usually isn’t too expensive and can be pretty effective for most critters. Leave a few training points on the pet to upgrade to 120 down the line.

cdharr68

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As the title says! Can someone tell me the best build to solo level six and seven t-maps? I've read through the cu builds, and frankly there are SO many different ones to choose from I found my head spinning! I know everyone has favorites, but is there one that seems to work best for a solo treasure hunter?

I'd like to use my new white Cu. I know the stats are fairly low, but she's cute and she really wants to learn!

Here are her stats:

As you can see, I've barely begun to train her. I took a UO break during the winter, but I'm wanting to start back up with training some of my pets now.

Thanks!
i literally just took my new white cu on a Hoard thunt with ancient wyrm and all the high end critters and did just the first level training and i built up the resists, stats and regens and it did just fine without any special moves or magics .... my thing is picking the move and magic on mine or maybe just the move and special ability.. i like the AI chiv build but im looking for something different this time... any ideas on a different maybe unique build that would be interesting anyone?

Last edited:

cdharr68

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
is there a way to add AI and whirlwind on a cu? i dont think you can have both but if you could i think that would be a good build then it could do more mob killings on thunts