• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Being A Newb Sucks

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frankly, I've heard about the VvV gear but never got it because I had no intention of participating in VvV. Can you indeed just get the gear with no commitment or risk and then just walk away?
Yes, but only 4 pieces. And it's all antique. Not great for spawning or heavy pvm.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not a newb, but I still just cant walk past a Reg on the floor without picking it up!!

Just carved into me, pick it all up/ store it up/ store it higher/ repeat!

Great shout out about the VvV items, I've never heard of that. :thumbup1:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not a newb, but I still just cant walk past a Reg on the floor without picking it up!!

Just carved into me, pick it all up/ store it up/ store it higher/ repeat!

Great shout out about the VvV items, I've never heard of that. :thumbup1:
That's kinda crazy. I only pick up pearl and blood moss ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I debate internally before even picking up gems off corpses... Ain't got time to run all over Moonglow obsessively picking up reagents. LOL

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I debate internally before even picking up gems off corpses... Ain't got time to run all over Moonglow obsessively picking up reagents. LOL
You know since day one I have looted every Gem I ever saw... and when SA came out and imbuing required Gems lucky me already had 30k+ of every gem. I've never had to actually "buy" them.

In Malag's case being an archer with 200 arrows, 200 bandages and carrying at least 10 bows he can't loot gold it weighs too much.... but he still loots every gem he sees... worth far more than it's weight in gold.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I recently returned to the game and starting fresh as a noob was actually quite fun for me. I would do it all over again if there was a new server that was free from players server hoping in with their millions in cash. It also would have been 500% more fun if I didn't feel like the only noob in the entire server lol but I can't fault the game for that. It's an old established game after all.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I recently returned to the game and starting fresh as a noob was actually quite fun for me. I would do it all over again if there was a new server that was free from players server hoping in with their millions in cash. It also would have been 500% more fun if I didn't feel like the only noob in the entire server lol but I can't fault the game for that. It's an old established game after all.
I think Origin is like that? I could be wrong.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Money is worth nothing on Origin because there are so few people and thus nothing to buy in fact we mainly just give stuff away. same with houses there are three spots in Luna right now too many Castle spots to mention if no one wants what you have its value is zero

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I might go to Origin myself. I remember that was my last shard before the big hiatus around when it first landed with AOS.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Can people server hop into Origins though?

Nevermind. Looked up the veteran reward shields. Apparently you can.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Capt. Lucky if you need help on Atl let me know asap!!

As a general statement, taming in the present is the way to go for a noob. Too bad every successful "All Kill" doesn't que a check for a skill gain *hint hint* @Kyronix

Callise

Journeyman
Can people server hop into Origins though?

Nevermind. Looked up the veteran reward shields. Apparently you can.
Not really sure why this is a good or bad thing, the only time we have people transfer in and out Origin is once a month (EM Event Drop night). If someone came in with millions, it wouldn't be of any use, as Anon mentioned previously. Gold isn't really an asset here. For the most part, the only thing I spend it on is my insurance. So while 9 million in the bank is laughable on another shard, it's more than I can spend here.

We're a small shard, so it's not hard to meet us all in little time. Your reputation and playstyle tend to be the greatest assets here. Both are easily made and difficult to change if you start off on the wrong foot. We don't have vendors, but asking for something in General chat a couple of times, will usually get your request fulfilled. While that does leave us vulnerable to be taken advantage of, our small tightly knit community looks out for one another.

Think of it this way:
If Atlantic is NYC, a couple of other shards are the burbs, most shards are those tiny one stop light towns. That makes us a remote Amish settlement.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really sure why this is a good or bad thing, the only time we have people transfer in and out Origin is once a month (EM Event Drop night). If someone came in with millions, it wouldn't be of any use, as Anon mentioned previously. Gold isn't really an asset here. For the most part, the only thing I spend it on is my insurance. So while 9 million in the bank is laughable on another shard, it's more than I can spend here.

We're a small shard, so it's not hard to meet us all in little time. Your reputation and playstyle tend to be the greatest assets here. Both are easily made and difficult to change if you start off on the wrong foot. We don't have vendors, but asking for something in General chat a couple of times, will usually get your request fulfilled. While that does leave us vulnerable to be taken advantage of, our small tightly knit community looks out for one another.

Think of it this way:
If Atlantic is NYC, a couple of other shards are the burbs, most shards are those tiny one stop light towns. That makes us a remote Amish settlement.
I would not have laughed at 9m in my bank when I came back to Origin again after forgetting to transfer 20m I had intended for house placing when I came back to Origin :) But I had fun farming up the gold over a couple of days to get the houses back up and turned into proper Borg Cubes. One thing I like about Origin is if I get a wild hair to move my 6 Origin accounts to Chessy or LS or wherever for a while, When I return to Origin the same house spots I dropped for the move are almost always still there waiting for me. And thus you have a PERV as a neighbor again in Zento until I get a wild hair to go play another shard for a while :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
@Capt. Lucky if you need help on Atl let me know asap!!

As a general statement, taming in the present is the way to go for a noob. Too bad every successful "All Kill" doesn't que a check for a skill gain *hint hint* @Kyronix
Well doing the whole thing through normal game play got old lol. It was fun for awhile. I had maxed out my stats, got all my skills to at least GM level (except healing which is around 86, Pinks cost way too much for me to use those even with having the gold), had an all 70s suit with a few nice bonuses, level 2 swords mastery, etc. So had I been a real newb I was doing pretty well. But I'm not there to conduct some social experiment on making a character. I'm there to make gold and ship stuff back to Legends. So I had @Uriah Heep drop me off a care package. Nothing major... just a 25 stat scroll and 100 mill ;) So I really don't think I qualify for any assistance ;) Even with 100 mill my Legends dexxer is sooooo much better with equipment but I was able to get a few nice items and an ethy horse. So I'm doing fine :) ADDED Oh and I got an all leather suit cause the plate legs, bone chest, leather gorget and tribal mask look was bothering me quite a bit :p

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Think of it this way:

we are indeed like an Amish settlement however Beware we do have UNequiped Shovels here these OP shovels must be nerfed....

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well doing the whole thing through normal game play got old lol. It was fun for awhile. I had maxed out my stats, got all my skills to at least GM level (except healing which is around 86, Pinks cost way too much for me to use those even with having the gold), had an all 70s suit with a few nice bonuses, level 2 swords mastery, etc. So had I been a real newb I was doing pretty well. But I'm not there to conduct some social experiment on making a character. I'm there to make gold and ship stuff back to Legends. So I had @Uriah Heep drop me off a care package. Nothing major... just a 25 stat scroll and 100 mill ;) So I really don't think I qualify for any assistance ;) Even with 100 mill my Legends dexxer is sooooo much better with equipment but I was able to get a few nice items and an ethy horse. So I'm doing fine :) ADDED Oh and I got an all leather suit cause the plate legs, bone chest, leather gorget and tribal mask look was bothering me quite a bit :p
Exactly - it's fun until you get to GM, then you're stuck without a support guild - bad news for the solo types

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think that is the biggest problem. Not enough solo content. Too much content is unplayable on your own and not many like to do it because it's not rewarding to them. Melee templates need serious help. There's no reason a player with 5 120 skills in melee can't last longer than a person with three 120 skills in taming when fighting stuff.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that is the biggest problem. Not enough solo content. Too much content is unplayable on your own and not many like to do it because it's not rewarding to them. Melee templates need serious help. There's no reason a player with 5 120 skills in melee can't last longer than a person with three 120 skills in taming when fighting stuff.
Did I miss a nerf to Samps or did you forget about them or are you just being sarcastic? There's no way you could type that being serious. Any newb that can fully scroll their character isn't really a newb anymore and wouldn't fall under this category.

Rewarding drops should be a team effort. This is why UO is a MMO and not single player.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sampire is a very niche template. It's boiling all the great skills in the game into just needing necromancy. The game is great because I can be a paladin or a necromancer. If you require necromancy for an entire playstyle that's not fun.

I agree with your 2nd point, but the trouble is that the older team effort rewards are no longer rewarding, but they still require team effort. New players should be able to experience that too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think it's so much that too much is unplayable on your own as the fact that the things you can do on your own offer little to no reward for your time invested and are BORING.

I mean I can march through almost any dungeon all by myself... I can do a champ by myself (however it takes too long and the risk vs the reward isn't enough to risk doing alone as its FAR too high)... I could solo Lady M... but more often than not come away empty handed... chances are I could solo the roof even... but 10 times of doing that and coming up empty handed makes it not very appealing for the time involved and the pain it is to do... Better with friends.

Most of the time my problem with much of it is... the things you can do without friends is often unrewarding... and why play an MMORPG if you aren't going to do it WITH someone... I mean if I were going to solo a game it wouldn't be an MMO... it'd be something like Skyrim, Diablo, or No Man's Sky... all of which are DESIGNED for solo play... and are quite fine solo... Heck I'd play my Gumballs & Dungeons game on my phone if I wanted to play solo before I want to play UO all alone.