• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attention to all thieves:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, this is another Siege Perilous invitation. But this time I am being more specific to whom I am inviting. This invitation is for those of you who either have or have interest in playing a class that has been nerfed into oblivion on the production shards. Want to play a thief, snoop someone’s backpack and not see it filled with items with the insurance tag? Siege Perilous is your last chance to do this on an EA/Mythic sponsored server.

For this reason, I have created a few guilds. I am the guild master of the Secret Society (S|S) on Siege, it is the oldest thief guild on the shard (there haven’t been many), but was created by Crazy Joe and Chaotic Jelly on the Atlantic shard, many years ago. When I made the move to Siege Perilous, I brought the guild with me and have been here ever since. The primary goal of the guild? Have fun (yes, many will say at the expense of others, but tough noogies on them). The motto of the guild? Live by the code or die by the code. The code refers to a group of rules that were created on the Thief Forum (here at Stratics)…

Rules of Ethics for Thieves:

Any thief that violates these sacred rules forfeits their right to be covered by these rules and becomes KOS/SOS to all of our brethren.

1. Thou shalt not steal from or loot fellow thieves.
2. Thou shalt not purposely reveal fellow thieves.
3. Thou shalt not identify disguised thieves.
4. Thou shalt not kill fellow thieves.
5. Thou shalt not follow fellow thieves around telling people that they are thieves.
6. Thou shalt offer aid and comfort to fellow thieves when possible.
7. Thou shalt not ask stupid questions that are thoroughly covered in the FAQ.
8. Thou shalt check the forum to see if thine question as already been answered.
9. Thou shalt retain a sense of humor.
10. Thou shalt not call thy self a thief if thou hast not stolen from thine fellow player.
11. Thou shalt remember that thine profession is spelled thief and not theif.

If you can’t follow those simple rules…you have no place in the guild and will be targeted by the guild and will be killed or stolen on sight.

It’s been a long time coming, but I am here to see how many old school thieves are still around and are interested in getting started up on Siege. Many may have not bothered because of the tough skill gain system on Siege, but for this reason, I have created a newbie guild the Not so Secret Society (NS|S). The goal of this guild is to be setup for new thieves to the shard, to give you a group of players you can interact with that won’t bristle at the mere thought you are a thief. It is setup for you to hone your skills in thief crafting before your have completed your training. There is no rush to get your skills up by the guild, so if you wish to just start a character on the shard and get them in the guild…fine. Do that; work your skills as quickly or as slowly as you choose, that is up to you. Even if you only play your character a few days a month, again, that’s fine, I have the feeling our skill gain system will be corrected in the near future, so it probably would be a good time to get started on a character, if this is the type of shard you may have interest in.

The S|S has guild does have rules as far as skills that must be attained before entering. Stealing, hiding and snooping must be at 90 before you can transfer into the S|S from the NS|S. Those of you who have been on the shard and already have skills trained that high, will have a two week test period in which you must stay in the NS|S. After those two weeks is up, you can move into the S|S or the S|S.. What is the S|S.? Well, it’s the third guild in the group. It’s the faction guild I just created. I know there are many types of thief out there, and I hope these guilds will give all ranges for fun to be had.

I have not done much as far as planning yet, but do count on events with the guilds. I will also have a website and vent server up shortly, but wanted to wait until I had a few guildies before I bothered with the time or money.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, send me a PM or drop me a note in ICQ: 91865190.

Any who, let’s see how this goes, I think we could have a lot of fun, and hell, even get more people to the shard at the same time \0/ …la

R

rowan_t

Seriously? I laugh... I can't believe you still have that guild running and I had to create an account on here just to say so. Although were you in it from the start? I can't remember... It's been what, 7, 8 years since it was started? And I'm sure none of what we used to do would fly anywhere except possibly on Siege. That's only if they haven't changed it.

Yeah, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I actually was checking things out because a friend of mine and I were talking about UO lately and I wondered what was up with it. I never would have expected to see this guild still going though. *smirks*

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, name from the past. The game is nothing what it was way back when, but I'm still hooked, so what the hell.

*waves*...la

R

rowan_t

I'm seeing that. Although it looks like they haven't bastardized Siege yet. I'm surprised on that one... My friend and I were actually talking about playing again. I miss the griefing days (not sure they would fly even on Siege anymore). He misses the PK days. Meh, things have changed... Give me UO before they screwed it over with Trammel and the changes that came after and it would be very tempting indeed. It's tempting anyway, just because it was so much a part of my life for a while and I made so many friends, but then I see what they've done and it just makes me sad. ):

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, with insurance...you can't even disarm steal on the production shards any more :( ...la

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I always wanted to make myself a thief on Siege, due to the disgraceful direction thieves are going on other shards. Only problem is I am not sure if I have the patience to train stealing with this gain system, let alone raise money to get another 120 stealing ps. But hey, I shall give it a shot. Wish I could x-fer my thief though :p

Galad

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have a tough time abiding by the code, but I'll start working a thief up on siege

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I always wanted to make myself a thief on Siege, due to the disgraceful direction thieves are going on other shards. Only problem is I am not sure if I have the patience to train stealing with this gain system, let alone raise money to get another 120 stealing ps. But hey, I shall give it a shot. Wish I could x-fer my thief though :p
Yeah, I know it takes awhile. I have been working up some new accounts myself. I know the devs have acknowledged the problems we are facing because of RoT but also understand that the whole system can't be thrown out because we are Siege after all, what fun would it be if people could just avoid the RoT system by building a thief via GGS and then just transfer, or change the RoT to GGS on Siege, and then see players come up with completed characters in two weeks. Siege is supposed to be tougher than that.

Please note, cost of scrolls on Siege is not what it is on the production shards. Right now I have seen mage scrolls sell for 6 mill, and +25 scrolls sell for 4.5 mil. Also, I keep pretty good track of the housing on the shard, and there is plenty of room for those who want a house. I know you may have one on your home shard, but after some time on Siege, you may just drop the production shard altogether. Feel free to drop me a line, I'll see how I may help...la

A

archite666

Hmmm you know you just gave me a wonderful idea, I have 6 120 stealings laying around, I think I should start putting them on my random blue in HP regen armor and sit him in a random town with a 120 stealing, wouldnt that be something awesome for upcomming theifs? getting to steal your 120 PS!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Good luck with this Rico. If there is any thing I can do to help, let me know.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Hmmm you know you just gave me a wonderful idea, I have 6 120 stealings laying around, I think I should start putting them on my random blue in HP regen armor and sit him in a random town with a 120 stealing, wouldnt that be something awesome for upcomming theifs? getting to steal your 120 PS!

*chuckles* How fun!

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

Yeah, I know it takes awhile. I have been working up some new accounts myself. I know the devs have acknowledged the problems we are facing because of RoT but also understand that the whole system can't be thrown out because we are Siege after all, what fun would it be if people could just avoid the RoT system by building a thief via GGS and then just transfer, or change the RoT to GGS on Siege, and then see players come up with completed characters in two weeks. Siege is supposed to be tougher than that.

Please note, cost of scrolls on Siege is not what it is on the production shards. Right now I have seen mage scrolls sell for 6 mill, and +25 scrolls sell for 4.5 mil. Also, I keep pretty good track of the housing on the shard, and there is plenty of room for those who want a house. I know you may have one on your home shard, but after some time on Siege, you may just drop the production shard altogether. Feel free to drop me a line, I'll see how I may help...la
I appreaciate your argument about 2 week old thieves, however I have been playing UO for 10 years and wont play Siege because I'm only interested in the end game, not the journey to the end game.

If they allowed one way transfers without any items, just the character then I would be there in a heart beat. But working another char up, na sorry, done that enough without doing it again while handcuffed.

A

archite666

Another interesting point to tell people is that you only need 50 stealing on siege to join the thiefs guild, my first char on siege was a thief and he was able to steal from players his first day, also for those that are curious as to the housing situation on siege, here is my map file of malas.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have my old "Majoka" that I havent played in ages, that could probably be adjusted to a Thief-mage. I havent logged on a thief character in years, since being apart of the wonderful group of Britiania's Under Belly on Pacific.

I suppose being a red thief wouldnt be much of a problem on a shard like Siege.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, there are red thieves here. Sure you can be attacked in town, but I'm sure you are used to it, lol. Beside, killing your mark after they attack you could be a good way to get everything they have in their pack, not just one item. :) Feel free to let me know when you are in game...we'll get you into the guild.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another interesting point to tell people is that you only need 50 stealing on siege to join the thiefs guild
I'm not sure that is true. I don't know if there is need to have any stealing. I really am not sure since I did the same thing you did, I joined my first day with 50 stealing. I know some players are in the guild just to use the disguise kit, maybe they had stealing when they got in, then dropped it and never got out.

*shrugs*

Maybe someone can help us out here?...la

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure I really see the point in having a thieves guild. Stealing is a very solitary thing. There is nothing worse than "bumping" into another thief when you're tracking a mark and getting revealed. Just been my experience with my thief. Maybe you can enlighten me.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure I really see the point in having a thieves guild. Stealing is a very solitary thing. There is nothing worse than "bumping" into another thief when you're tracking a mark and getting revealed. Just been my experience with my thief. Maybe you can enlighten me.
I understand your question as I have usually kept to myself in game, but I have been in a thief guild for years now. It's not like the guild will force it's members to work in particular areas. I guess the biggest thing is, we have been nerfed through out the years it's nice to have guildies to shoot the **** with on the profession, the game or just whatever.

I do plan to setup a UOAM server too, so loggin into that can keep people from stepping over one another...la

V

Vex

I'm not sure that is true. I don't know if there is need to have any stealing. I really am not sure since I did the same thing you did, I joined my first day with 50 stealing. I know some players are in the guild just to use the disguise kit, maybe they had stealing when they got in, then dropped it and never got out.

*shrugs*

Maybe someone can help us out here?...la
I joined with only 10 stealing on Siege the other day :)

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have a tough time abiding by the code, but I'll start working a thief up on siege
Your invitation is too tempting to resist. I will turn my archer/mage/swordsman/miner/(a bunch of other skills i didnt finish) to the darkside and he will be a shoplifting ninja at your service.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well done invite. If only I was not already spoken for on Siege, I might want to join you myself.

Thief.

JAY8533

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know it sounds stupid, but I have been holding off on playing Siege for years because I couldn't commit to a character type to start building (I only have one account, and will only ever have one account).

This sounds like fun. Ima start working on a thief tonight or tomorrow. Some of the most fun I have had in this game was being part of a very large, and active, thieves guild on Chesapeake back in the day.

Now I just have to think of a name :wall:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Send me a message when you get in game. Looks like Siege players had better relearn how to protect themselves...and their belongings. ^^ ...la

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been years since i invested any real time into my seige toon. Can someone explain to me what ROT is and how it works so i don't sit there working the skills when i don't need to be.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is from the FAQ in the Siege forum:

IV. The RoT System and Training Skills

Please note: You cannot buy skills from NPCs on Siege.

"I hear on Siege, it takes FOREVER to train up skills! How long till I have a complete character?"

On Siege, we have the RoT (Rate over time) system for gaining skills. Unlike production shards where you can reach a GM skill under a few hours, skills are valued here and require some amount of patience and effort to gain. You must have good foresight into your future character template. If you put a good amount of time into your character, you can be 7x GM character within 3-4 months.

RoT doesn't kick in until you have a skill or multiple skills at 70. After 70, you have daily caps (for the skills at are 70 and over) that you meet. Skills under 70 are not affected by RoT and the cap, and gain as fast as the production shards.

Here is the breakdown (be aware, it's math heavy):

70 to 79.9 you can gain .1 every 5 minutes to a max of 3.6 per day. This 3.6 is TOTAL for all skills in 70.1 to 80 range, not per skill. 3.6 is max.
80 to 98.9 you can gain .1 every 10 minutes to a max of 2.1 per day. This 2.1 is TOTAL for all skills in 80 to 99 range, not per skill. 2.1 is max.
99 to 120 you can gain .1 every 15 minutes to a max of 2.1 per day. This 2.1 is TOTAL for all skills in 100 to 120 range, not per skill. 2.1 is max.

If you have a mix of skills from 70 and up, you can only gain 3.6 or 2.1 per day (total, across all skills). Also with the time between gains varying from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, it gets a bit more complex on your daily gain caps. If you have one skill (say magery) in the 70-80 range where you are gaining 3.6/day and another skill (say med) in the 80-90 range where you are gaining 2.1/day, you may end up gaining only 0.7 med + 2.1 magery for 2.8 gains for the day.

ROT gains work on fractions type basis, so if you gained say 1.0 in skills in the 70's, then you could gain 1.9 in skills 80+

These are the calculations...
3.7 divided by 2.1 = 1.76
2.1 - 1.0 (what you got in the 70's) = 1.1
1.1 x 1.76 = 1.94

Obviously it gets complicated if you gain more than 2.1 in skills under 80, as then you'd be dealing with minus numbers in the calculations above, so... say you got 2.5 in the 70's...

2.1 divided by 3.7 = 0.568
2.5 x 0.568 = 1.42
2.1 - 1.4 = 0.7, which is what you could get in skills 80+

This is because your total gains are distributed between the two gain rates.

RoT training:

Also, unless you want to spend 3-5 hours every day training one skill, it's generally better to:

1) decide what your template is going to be
2) get all your skills to RoT=70.1 - including some complementary skills which you will later drop
3) let them all gain at the same time.

This is because, while you can only gain every 5 minutes on one skill in the 70-80 range, you have 7+ skills you can do that with. So, 0.7/5 minutes = ~1/2 hour of training per day.

For example, locking everything but hiding, training it to GM, and afterwards working on the rest of the skills together.

Getting 7 skills from 70-100 would take 7 times as long - 3 months.

RoT recycles once per day, at 8pm EST/1am GMT.

Of course, it will STILL take you 3 months to get 7 skills to GM, regardless of whether you did them one at a time or all at once - the difference is, by reducing the number of skills you gain at one time, the sooner you will have full use of the first skills you choose to gain. For some the RoT system is the thing that keeps them away from Siege, but with time, gaining those skills feel so much more rewarding once you have a complete template. The RoT system actually helps slower skills have better chances at guaranteed gains. With slower skills like poisioning, training it in RoT saves you a lot of time and gold.
...la

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A question to all the thieves out there.... Do you prefer using disguise kits or being able to use ninja animal forms?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never liked the disguise kit. It screw up your UOA macros. I have ninja on my template, but usually don't play in any form...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't be in game until after 8 PM CST tonight, left me know if want in the guild...la

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wolf makes it easier to move from location to location since I cant gate...

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to Siege...

It's full of thieves and stealth tamers!!!!

I played Siege for a couple years, there needs to be a new classification for that type of PvP.... it should be called Player versus Random invisible guy waiting for you to get below half life before attacking you.

Honestly the people of Siege should all be ashamed of their playstyle. You want people to come there, but you all play the pussiest templates ever. If you could do a shard wide skill averages report. I guarantee you the #1 skill on that shard would be hiding, followed closely by stealth.

I tried to like Siege, I still have a house and 2 chars there, but the entire shard reminds me of what you see at yew/brit gate on most shards. A bunch of stealthers waiting for someone who is busy fighting someone else to get below half life before 5 stealthers pop out and gank the guy, then yell "pwnd noob".

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey colter is there any template you don't hate on? Besides tamers of course...

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been hating on the greater dragons... So add tamers to that I guess :lick:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to Siege...

It's full of thieves and stealth tamers!!!!

I played Siege for a couple years, there needs to be a new classification for that type of PvP.... it should be called Player versus Random invisible guy waiting for you to get below half life before attacking you.

Honestly the people of Siege should all be ashamed of their playstyle. You want people to come there, but you all play the pussiest templates ever. If you could do a shard wide skill averages report. I guarantee you the #1 skill on that shard would be hiding, followed closely by stealth.

I tried to like Siege, I still have a house and 2 chars there, but the entire shard reminds me of what you see at yew/brit gate on most shards. A bunch of stealthers waiting for someone who is busy fighting someone else to get below half life before 5 stealthers pop out and gank the guy, then yell "pwnd noob".
LOL.

*hands Colter a tissue*

Sounds more like you have been stolen from and been killed by a few stealthers. Guess you couldn't figure out how to adapt, and then ran off to the protection of a production shard.

Siege isn't for everyone. There will always be people that are more suited to playing in Trammel. You seem to fit that bill (not that there is anything wrong with that). Good luck to you...la

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been hating on the greater dragons... So add tamers to that I guess :lick:
Well, guess what? If there wasn't stealth tamers with greater dragons, then there would be stealth tamers with beatles or other pets.

K

K'torr

Come to Siege...

I tried to like Siege, I still have a house and 2 char there, but the entire shard reminds me of what you see at yew/brit gate on most shards. A bunch of stealthers waiting for someone who is busy fighting someone else to get below half life before 5 stealthers pop out and gank the guy, then yell "pwnd noob".
2 characters? If you didn't like it the first time, why start another character on another account?

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can’t follow those simple rules…you have no place in the guild and will be targeted by the guild and will be killed or stolen on sight.
Aren't people stealers more correctly termed kidnappers? :confused:

What kind of shenanigans are you pulling here, mister?

-Skylark

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can i ask a silly question... if you have a house on Siege can you still have a house on a diff shard?