• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are regular MiBs (SoS) worth fishing up?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now that all the events have ended I'm looking for stuff to do and decided to start clearing my completely full Davies Locker. Over the past week or so I've done about 50-60 treasure maps with some mixed results and as I got further into the locker from clearing the maps I see like 80 SoS (opened MiBs) that I've acquired.

I know Tmaps might not always give the best stuff but they can still produce some very usable gear (and at the very least blue/pinks) but in my experience with sunken chests in the past was the loot was all completely (and without exception) garbage. The best piece that would come from a non white sunken chest (again based on my experience years ago) was the kelp leggings which are a dime a dozen now.

I think part of the grind I hated was needing the sail around to the various spots (which always seem like sailing is 10x slower than running) instead of being able to use a rune library and running to the coords.

Does anyone do regular (non ancient) MiBs with any kind of consistency (or maybe you did and stopped)? What are your thoughts? Are they worth going through the 80 or so SoS to fish up or would I be better off just sticking to the TMaps for the pinks/blues and occasional other "find"?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Good cleanup points , 100 pts for things fished up . Also get colored nets to use for deco or fish up krakens with .

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Keep what ever you want as goodies then unravel chest for imbuing, place all scrolls and regs in a chest, trash the rest. Very relaxing day out fishing.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Keep what ever you want as goodies then unravel chest for imbuing, place all scrolls and regs in a chest, trash the rest. Very relaxing day out fishing.
Sailing to the various locations is more of a chore than anything for me. I will do it if there is something worthwhile doing it for but if we are talking unraveling / clean up points as reasons to fish up a regular SoS then I'd probably just do a Tmap instead as they go quicker and have more upside.

Still early but so far I haven't heard much reason not to do what McDougle does and just trash these things lol

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Save up a few thousand, and grab all the ones close together. Loot sucks, but its 10-40k a chest now, which is awesome for a newbie.

Unravel, save gems and regs, cut up wedding dress, sell kelp leggings.

I wish they put pinks, blues, and 105's in sos loot, even if it was to a lesser degree than tmaps.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Scrour of Invulnerabiliy dragon platemail ringmail chainmail...bone invilnerabitlity studded all selling for mils

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are after refinements you pirate the sos really just a waste of time i tried unraveling cuz i needed more relic fragments but guess what the loot is to trash..

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Try to get creative with what you do on your ship. My fisher is also a cook so ill often make tons of dough, use the ocean as a water source, while I’m sailing. I trained poison while sailing too lol.

You could also just fish.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't have fun trying to fish up those.
The only ones I would try to do now are the "Kotl Technology" ones.
Everything else has gone into the mailboxes of people that I know who are more interested in doing these.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll throw my .02 in, i toss them on the ground an WBB or Luna bank for a newb to do for money. other than that, just cleanup points.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's something that makes it a lot easier.... It's a Google Sheets version of an Excel spreadsheet (that was posted on Stratics 15 or more years ago by one of the fishing guilds) designed to convert manually entered SOS coordinates into UO Automap data to be inserted into a new or existing .map file (and UO Cartographer, which can use UOAM .map files). I've made modified versions (Tabs 2-4) for using Davies Locker data entered manually, and for the new T-Maps across all shards.

UOAM/UOCart Spreadsheet (for creating coordinate data)

While it CAN be used online, you may want to download it and use it on your own computer with Excel, Openoffice, etc. as if two people are accessing it at once, you can overwrite each other.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's something that makes it a lot easier.... It's a Google Sheets version of an Excel spreadsheet (that was posted on Stratics 15 or more years ago by one of the fishing guilds) designed to convert manually entered SOS coordinates into UO Automap data to be inserted into a new or existing .map file (and UO Cartographer, which can use UOAM .map files). I've made modified versions (Tabs 2-4) for using Davies Locker data entered manually, and for the new T-Maps across all shards.

While it CAN be used online, you may want to download it and use it on your own computer with Excel, Openoffice, etc. as if two people are accessing it at once, you can overwrite each other.

...Or just fish in EC with Pinco's UI. Pinco's UI puts all the map pins for read SoS onto the world map, and has a glowing beacon situated over the exact spot you need to fish at.
Fishing up SoS is actually pretty good for getting gains at higher skill levels, especially if you have a large amount of SoS to complete. I have a Davies' Locker with about 400+ SoS in it, that i'm saving for when my Fisher on Atlantic gets a 120 Fishing PS.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hmm. Sounding like fishing up chests is either for those who just like to fish (something different to fish & not really for reward) or new players who need gold. Neither of which are me. :(

Someone in the game said that using a dredging hook when fishing up SoS can give "cool stuff".

Anyone know about that? I just checked on VS and there are only 2 hooks which are almost 10m each so not sure how "cool" the stuff is to warrant that price tag (I used a dredging hook one time and didn't get anything).

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Use dredging hook gives you a chance to pull up barnacles
It will be rehued bones broken barels portraits etc in weird colors. Sometimes you out get weapons I got a crossbow that's purple and says barnacle on it's description.

You won't get anything guaranteed, but like a25% of a barnacle. I haven't fished or done mibs in a really long time but I remember taking like 30 or 40 with me after I sorted them by NE, NW, SW , SE so I could chain them more quickly.
Pretty laid back effort and a easy way to work the fishing system if you ask me .

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I fish up MiBs when I want to do something peaceful. I fish them up in Fel on the off chance I get a treasure map (Fel treasure maps have a chance at power scrolls). I bank the gold, keep the scrolls, gems and raegents, unravel the weapons and armor, and trash the rest. I can never have too many trash points.

In short, I find it worthwhile.

mihali

Sage
...Or just fish in EC with Pinco's UI. Pinco's UI puts all the map pins for read SoS onto the world map, and has a glowing beacon situated over the exact spot you need to fish at.
Fishing up SoS is actually pretty good for getting gains at higher skill levels, especially if you have a large amount of SoS to complete. I have a Davies' Locker with about 400+ SoS in it, that i'm saving for when my Fisher on Atlantic gets a 120 Fishing PS.
Why save SOS till Fishing is 120? What are the benefits from that? Thanks!

mihali

Sage
Nice! Ty for info. But anything special from fishing 120 skill? Better stuff you fish? Ty again. Looking it up also. Big question is if it is worth it, especially since fishing 120 PS is not too cheap on vendors.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice! Ty for info. But anything special from fishing 120 skill? Better stuff you fish? Ty again. Looking it up also. Big question is if it is worth it, especially since fishing 120 PS is not too cheap on vendors.
You can get all the aquarium fish when you are 115 fishing.

I have cast hundreds of Ancient Aquarium nets. I have had others that are 120 skill cast hundreds of them and I only have 1 fish above 100 skill. Still have hundreds if anyone wants to cast the for me. I got bored at 105 Fishing.

I know those higher skill ones sold for many millions at one time.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vanilla EC puts the pins for MIB's on the map.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
From my understanding (and limited experience with fishing in general) 120 fishing gives you better chances at fishing up like the void crabs (need proper bait etc too) but doesn't really do much else (note - I have never even tried to pull a void crab as they are just deco). I think the main reason a 120 fishing scroll is so expensive is purely because the amount of fish/crabs/lobsters needed and much of a PITA it is to them all fish up in order to get a 120 scroll. I don't think it's like having 105 magery vs 120 magery where there is a noticeable difference on the difficulty. Someone once told me anything past 80 is fine (last milestone to be able to fish up things like white pearls) and although this was easily 10-15 years ago I'm not sure much has changed with fishing to require anyone to really push for 120 fishing.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Pinco's UI puts a ship on the map
(flashing vortex is regular EC)

but Pinco also has a feature that shows how many tiles away you are.
when you get within 10 tiles you can start fishing up items

I usually keep around 60 items in my backpack
& i can pull up around 10 items, before I pull up the chest
(all the items that say shipwreck are worth 100 cleanup points)

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From my understanding (and limited experience with fishing in general) 120 fishing gives you better chances at fishing up like the void crabs (need proper bait etc too) but doesn't really do much else (note - I have never even tried to pull a void crab as they are just deco). I think the main reason a 120 fishing scroll is so expensive is purely because the amount of fish/crabs/lobsters needed and much of a PITA it is to them all fish up in order to get a 120 scroll. I don't think it's like having 105 magery vs 120 magery where there is a noticeable difference on the difficulty. Someone once told me anything past 80 is fine (last milestone to be able to fish up things like white pearls) and although this was easily 10-15 years ago I'm not sure much has changed with fishing to require anyone to really push for 120 fishing.
Getting a 120 is not hard at all, all you have to do is commit to the task the way you would anything else in UO. But 120 isn't really anything more than a title. The Devs made sure it was nothing more than that. With very little effort they could tweak fishing , especially Legendary Fishing, but since they don't actually play the game they won't. They didn't even properly code baits the way they should have. I don't remember the type of fish I was trying for, but I had the Fishermans suit on, tremendous amounts of bait from when I was heavily into the fishmonger , 120 skill, I was literally dressed for success. Went through 1500 baits, no lie...you think I caught one ?

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Getting a 120 is not hard at all, all you have to do is commit to the task the way you would anything else in UO. But 120 isn't really anything more than a title. The Devs made sure it was nothing more than that. With very little effort they could tweak fishing , especially Legendary Fishing, but since they don't actually play the game they won't. They didn't even properly code baits the way they should have. I don't remember the type of fish I was trying for, but I had the Fishermans suit on, tremendous amounts of bait from when I was heavily into the fishmonger , 120 skill, I was literally dressed for success. Went through 1500 baits, no lie...you think I caught one ?
Preach!!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't get the wrong idea, I"m not a disgruntled UO player who wah wah didn't get what they wanted. I put the effort in, and was not rewarded. In todays UO all you have to do is attend an EM event, put the effort in, no matter how minimal it is, and guess what ? You get rewarded, damn near every time. Some of us just want that in other aspects of the game. This isn't rocket science when it comes to a simple skill like Fishing either. Utilize the quest engine. There should be quests for Void Crab or any other extremely had to get creature. I don't know about everyone else but I would love love love a long quest chain that ends up with a guaranteed reward. It should take time, and effort, but it should pay off in the end. This is where the Devs have their head on backwards. They put out all of this effort to prevent someone from cashing in on certain things, they limited the number of NPCs you could gate because Oh no, someone might get rich, they put in a limit on followers because oh no, someone might get too much gold. (Yes having 25 white wyrms in tow was a bit much lol) resource spawns, oh no someone might chop down a lot of wood and kill the game, oh no the same thing with ore, Oh no people have too many doubloons and , here's the hilarious part, we need to protect the value of these items !!!!! wtf, oh no people have too many doubloons, let's limit that. And of course, we can't have people actually getting the high end (it's all deco anyway) fishing items, we can't have the game be ruined by that....I could go on and on about the stupidity of it but really, it's pointless. Every day this forum comes up with really incredible ideas that should be implemented. Again, I"ve never ever played on a free shard, but those ideas usually end up on free shards where they're a smashing success. Production shards ? Nope, can't do it, it might ruin the game.....sigh.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Zombie fish... My late friend and I were trying to catch Zombie fish... I think it was for some event... anyway I had over 2k in bait... I thought surely this would be easy... I started and on the second cast I caught one... but of course it was the minimum 10stones... Certainly couldn't be a whopper of a zombie fish but I was encouraged... got one on the second cast... well that was the ONLY one I would catch... I was wearing the fisherman suit... and using my bait... yeah... meanwhile he however completely WITHOUT bait or a suit... caught 4 in the span that I was working it... as we often competed with one another... he got 4... I got 1... he didn't use a suit or bait and I did... his best was near 170 or something of that nature... but yeah... I was DISGUSTED beyond belief... but that is UO.

IMO the game is coded like it was a kids project... in crayon... on an old brown bag... that was used... pulled from a bin... etc... by a bunch of 3rd graders... with ADHD all hyped up on sugar and chocolate... led by someone like Mr Magoo... and his good friend Dory...

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO the game is coded like it was a kids project... in crayon... on an old brown bag... that was used... pulled from a bin... etc... by a bunch of 3rd graders... with ADHD all hyped up on sugar and chocolate... led by someone like Mr Magoo... and his good friend Dory...
Given that there's never really been a long-term road map, each iteration of the team has tried to stamp "their vision" on UO without cleaning up the previous vision. Add in the ineffective leadership of the current team and poof you have today's UO. However... NL will fix everything ;)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pinco's UI puts a ship on the map
(flashing vortex is regular EC)

but Pinco also has a feature that shows how many tiles away you are.
when you get within 10 tiles you can start fishing up items

I usually keep around 60 items in my backpack
& i can pull up around 10 items, before I pull up the chest
Haven't played regular EC (without Pinco's UI) in a long time, so i wasn't aware of that.

Higher Fishing levels (in increments of 30 skill, at 60, 90 and 120) increase the chance to pull up the "Enchanted Fish" that can be used for cooking Magic Fish Pies. There's also at least 4 Legendary Fish that require 120.0 Fishing to fish up.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

@Basara

How does one use that Spreadsheet ?

It is necessary to manually write from one's own SOS the coordinates into the spreadsheet ?

And then, UOAM and UOCart will display the pin for those location ?

If so, it would still be quite time consuming as one would need to then sail back and forth in between all "pinned" locations on UOAM and UOCart...

I was looking for a way to "group up" my SOSes to moreless the same location at Sea so that, I can go fish up like 15-20 or even more all close to one another without having to sail too much in between...

Is there a way to "filter" or "sort" all moreless same location SOS when being in a Davie's Locker ?

This way, one could then only pull them out like 20 at a time, all at moreless the same location, and go fish them up without having to do too much time consuming sailing....

Another thing which could help, would be if handing out an SOS to a tillerman and telling him/her start, would then get us to the SOS location without any more trouble....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Popps:

1. You enter your SOS coordinates manually into the spreadsheet.
2. Once the data is all entered, you highlight the yellow section of the spreadsheet, hit Copy (CTRL+C).
3. Then, you open up a .map file (or create one) with notepad or other text editor, and paste the info (CTRL+V) into the file, and save. If it's a new file, you'll need to have a "3" as the first line of the file, then paste the lines below it.
4. Then, from inside UOAM or UOCART, make sure that the program is reading the file (in UOAM, it's a matter of making sure that the file name has a checkmark).

At that point, the pins will appear.

The only way to filter the data is the old-fashioned way - manually grouping the physical SOS in the game.
What I do is
  • Pick the area that I want to fish up the SOS for (say, the Skara Brae area, which typically has about 10%-15% of all my SOS), then for that area find the coordinates (most of the Skara SOS are between 43 and 93 Degrees West, 0 Degrees to 50 degrees South).
  • Starting with all my SOS in a Davies Locker, I then pull out all the ones that fit that range, and only those. I then stick a T-map as a separator, then put all the SOS that I pulled back into the Locker, with another t-map at the end.
  • Repeat the process for all the other areas that have clusters of SOS.
  • When it's time for fishing them up, pull the SOS for the area you're fishing (try to keep it under 40-50 SOS at a time per area), and put them in a backpack in your main pack.
  • Go to the area, sail to the first dot on the map you come to, and fish up the chest. You don't have to sort them any further, as long as you have them on you. The SOS will disappear from your pack when you pull up the chest. When the pack with the SOS is empty, you're done.
  • Now, try fishing again, to see if you get more pre-chest loot, or fish. Sometimes you'll have 2 or more chests close enough to fish without moving (within a degree or so), and you won't know which SOS you actually fished up initially. If you get fish, then right-click on the dot in UOAM and delete the spot. If you get more chest loot, fish that chest up, and repeat until you start getting fish (and delete the spot). Then check the nearby dots (if you fished up multiple chests, you may have eliminated several dots at once), and if you don't get any pre-chest when sitting right on the spot, delete it.
  • you then just go sailing from dot to dot, fishing them up and deleting when the chest is up.
  • If you end up with SOS left over after fishing all the dots, you may have mis-entered the data into the spreadsheet. you can reenter it manually using the tools in the mapping program, to see if it's somewhere you weren't looking, or if it had been a duplicate of a spot you deleted.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use 6 Davy Jones lockers
And sort them by s e - n e - s w - n w
I use then I use an empty locker and start with the lowest numbers and slowly match them up the closet I can
Doing it this way I can do 25 to 40 and hour
It takes longer to sort through them all lol
I use 1 locker for Aos

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Popps:

1. You enter your SOS coordinates manually into the spreadsheet.
2. Once the data is all entered, you highlight the yellow section of the spreadsheet, hit Copy (CTRL+C).
3. Then, you open up a .map file (or create one) with notepad or other text editor, and paste the info (CTRL+V) into the file, and save. If it's a new file, you'll need to have a "3" as the first line of the file, then paste the lines below it.
4. Then, from inside UOAM or UOCART, make sure that the program is reading the file (in UOAM, it's a matter of making sure that the file name has a checkmark).

At that point, the pins will appear.

The only way to filter the data is the old-fashioned way - manually grouping the physical SOS in the game.
What I do is
  • Pick the area that I want to fish up the SOS for (say, the Skara Brae area, which typically has about 10%-15% of all my SOS), then for that area find the coordinates (most of the Skara SOS are between 43 and 93 Degrees West, 0 Degrees to 50 degrees South).
  • Starting with all my SOS in a Davies Locker, I then pull out all the ones that fit that range, and only those. I then stick a T-map as a separator, then put all the SOS that I pulled back into the Locker, with another t-map at the end.
  • Repeat the process for all the other areas that have clusters of SOS.
  • When it's time for fishing them up, pull the SOS for the area you're fishing (try to keep it under 40-50 SOS at a time per area), and put them in a backpack in your main pack.
  • Go to the area, sail to the first dot on the map you come to, and fish up the chest. You don't have to sort them any further, as long as you have them on you. The SOS will disappear from your pack when you pull up the chest. When the pack with the SOS is empty, you're done.
  • Now, try fishing again, to see if you get more pre-chest loot, or fish. Sometimes you'll have 2 or more chests close enough to fish without moving (within a degree or so), and you won't know which SOS you actually fished up initially. If you get fish, then right-click on the dot in UOAM and delete the spot. If you get more chest loot, fish that chest up, and repeat until you start getting fish (and delete the spot). Then check the nearby dots (if you fished up multiple chests, you may have eliminated several dots at once), and if you don't get any pre-chest when sitting right on the spot, delete it.
  • you then just go sailing from dot to dot, fishing them up and deleting when the chest is up.
  • If you end up with SOS left over after fishing all the dots, you may have mis-entered the data into the spreadsheet. you can reenter it manually using the tools in the mapping program, to see if it's somewhere you weren't looking, or if it had been a duplicate of a spot you deleted.
This is way too techy and TMI for me.
I just look at the 1st and 3rd number of the coords with a sextant and look at what quadrant the sos is in ( NW NE SW SE)
Put as many that are close in a bag ( or your favorite container) and fish them when you got many in one area.

Good luck popps !!

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm. Sounding like fishing up chests is either for those who just like to fish (something different to fish & not really for reward) or new players who need gold. Neither of which are me. :(

Someone in the game said that using a dredging hook when fishing up SoS can give "cool stuff".

Anyone know about that? I just checked on VS and there are only 2 hooks which are almost 10m each so not sure how "cool" the stuff is to warrant that price tag (I used a dredging hook one time and didn't get anything).
Dredging hooks can be bought from ncp next to building by the Trinsic docks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dredging hooks can be bought from ncp next to building by the Trinsic docks.
Those are salvage hooks. They were put in to bring up monsters from the deep to speed up that part of the Zippy quest.

I don't know what dredging hooks do.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
dredging hooks come from fisherman quests they are like the junk and lava hooks when using them with your fishing pole you have the chance of barnacle covered items

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those are salvage hooks. They were put in to bring up monsters from the deep to speed up that part of the Zippy quest.

I don't know what dredging hooks do.
do you get anything special from salvage hooks ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They bring up sea creatures. So I guess you can loot them for SoS. You have to kill a lot of them for the quest. It would take hours if you did not use these hooks. It is similar to tossing a white net and not getting Scalis. You get about half that amount of sea creatures and no Leviathan.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I believe there is a like a yellowish staff you can fish up that may or may not have been part of the quest (been a while but I think it was pretty hard to get). I want to say the salvage hooks were used to pull up pieces of stave or something needed for the quest and the staff was like an extra item you could get.

I think this is the staff? Someone with a better memory than me might know.
1643749464746.png

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The staff is from old invasion quest
My fisherman still gets them I never finished the quest so fishing up SoS I get them still

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The quest hooks (which sell for about 10k) are effectively a poor man's green net (only it's possible to get no spawn from one).