• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer nurf went too far?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah after going back and doing a few spawns, this hit rate totally sux butt.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Is there something to this? Pulled an archer out for the first time in a while, and also notice it does not hit nearly as often, even base hits, as a regular dexer. Is there some back end less hit chance thing going on? Maybe a bug where the moving shot hci penalty sticks to the char even when not moving shoting? Missing disarmed targets often, even lesser spawn or wandering healers where as a fencer has no issue with this

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This has been my experience since I came back to game like 4-5 years ago. I don't think it was effected by the archery nerf publish. I routinely miss 12+ times in a row, archery or melee. Other dexers, parry mages, MAGE WEP USERS, it doesn't seem to matter.

Up against anyone with parry, OH BOY, whiff, whiff, ping, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, ping, ping, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff. It's a joke. To actually average out my hit rate, I would guess mine is probably around 10% across my characters; that being said, I'm often up against people who hit me almost nonstop, that's the part that bugs me greatly. I sometimes, rarely, manage to hit people 6 - 8 times in a row, it's very rare, but does not happen often enough to average out to anything near 50%, 33%, 25%.

I've always assumed I said the wrong thing to the wrong GM one day and had my HCI set to the negatives behind the scenes. I just can't imagine my LUCK irl being so bad that I see these types of statistically anomalies happening on a regular basis to me, just blows my mind most days. If people were getting bugged with LMC staying on their characters even when they took off their armor, and it's been proven that that happened, and was apparently addressed by the devs, then who's to say that you can't have been bugged in a stat in a negative way that will NOT show on your character's status gump, I don't believe that it's impossible. - Hit with HLA and get a weird crash? I dunno, maybe that's how it could happen.

As an experiment I took archery off my macer, stoned on 120 Ninjitsu, got a 25% Splintering club with 50% HLD, with focus attack that's 50% Splintering and 100% HLD, 100% chance for me to gain, supposedly, a HUGE advantage for hitting the player on my next couple of swings. I played this temp about 3 days before the lack of ability to ever hit anyone enough times consecutively to kill them stopped even being funny to me. So after missing about 10 times with focus attack toggled on, bam, get a hit, woohoo, you'd think that SOME of the following hits would actually land so I could pull off a dismount, what a damn joke. How can it be that I get a hit off, with 100% chance to lower the opponent's DCI for 7 seconds, and 9 out of 10 times miss the next missess? It's a JOKE, if you don't want to play a parry mage, you HAVE to play a hybrid temp of some type, at least for solo play. Ask me how that 50% Splintering business worked out for me? hehe, oh boy.

Routinely missing mage wep users 8-12 times in a row, to land one shot, and miss the next 8-10, well, THANK GOD FOR BLOOD OATH and EO interrupts, good grief. Missing swings on a player that's just been disarmed, that you know couldn't have room on their temp for wrestling or the anat/eval combo, it's rly discouraging. Missing twice in a row on a slime or giant rat, well, now my time if just being wasted. I like playing mages, but I like to switch it up, sometimes every few months my template preferences change.

To add insult to injury, again it doesn't take long before it stops being funny: These new PETS, THEY ALMOST NEVER MISS. Almost never. If I had a hit rate like these pets do, holy cow, this would be a different game.

Archers are a fun template, but I would say def limited to group play mostly, unless you're gonna play a spellcasting hybrid, for hybrids I think melee is more fun though, if not a bit more challenging.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Put the archer back in storage as your right you'll wiff more than hit even at 120 natural archery... can't hit the broad side of an Ogre... from 2 feet away...

But as Cady says it's been that way for several years now. Every publish or whatever it gets worse... basically we are all supposed to play mages and tamers..

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We currently have 4 decent archers in our PvP team, I cannot relate to anything in this thread anymore.

The only change for Archers is they cannot solo machine gun down 5 characters in a row like they used to, now they are a team player like the rest.

They did nerf all long range (Including casters), effectively buffing short range, which makes it seem harder for Archers.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I cannot relate to anything in this thread anymore.
I get that, some people seem to consistenly have what I would consider to be incredible luck, I don't get it when I consistently miss 6-12 times in a row, and other players seem to consistently hit 6-12 times in a row, win or lose(if I ever win it's bc I play hybrid temps), I've been in many fights that last for a long time(5-15 minutes) that are incredible lopsided for the entire duration of that fight. Going MINUTES without hearing anything but whiffs.

I often wonder, "WHAT AM I MISSING?", I've got 45 HCI, 40-45DCI, 50% HLD on ALL weps, and day after day, I'd say my hit % is 10%ish. I think people can be bugged with negative stat values that won't show in their status gump, like our supposed 2000 Luck Bonus in fel, if you believe that exists.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just ran a slight test.

120 fencing, 45 hci vs 120 fencing, 45 DCI. NO HLD. ELF. NO PARRY.

49% of hits connected

120 archer same scenario, against same char.

35% of hits connected

I took 100 swings with the fencer, hit 49/100. Sounds about right. I took 100 shots with the archer and only connected 31/100. Thought wow... That can't be right. Took another 100 and hit 39/100 for a total of 70/200.

@Kyronix @Bleak

Intended or something a miss? Rng can't be that bad. I can agree with others, even shooting and missing something as simple as a rat or a bear sometimes, and the fencer would never ever miss.

Is there some mechanic at play here that was never shown, like the strange throwing sweet spot?

Last edited:

Aeneas

Adventurer
Does throwers have the same issue? May be it's their way of forcing range attackers to make garg characters :)

Either way, I am fine with a lesser hit chance for archers :) After all they have a great advantage of not getting hit. With that advantage is better luck suit for better loot. It may be true that archers don't hit as often but they also don't get hit as often.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thiefs these days are crazy- can steal anything and not flag... and with chiv being a damage temp now... so nasty ways to fight your opponent...

To the rest of this thread... when they brought the base sdi cap up, hybrid mages came back into play... with suits that can fit 100-120 skill points without too much effort, bushido and Magery are pretty much the norm- outside of tamers with pets that needs 2-3 people to kill it... but that's lots of other threads!

Archery has become a running template... meaning- you can't stand still- or the dump will get ya... always moving! So speed is the name of the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can assure you thieves can and do still flag. Like anything else in UO stealing has calculations involved. Good thieves know how those calculations work and often because this go unnoticed. Now if only there was more to steal.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I can assure you thieves can and do still flag. Like anything else in UO stealing has calculations involved. Good thieves know how those calculations work and often because this go unnoticed. Now if only there was more to steal.
i had 48 GHeal potions stolen in 1 take yesterday - no flag... not sure what else to say when you are fighting someone who steals all your potions from you as they beat you down in pvp (thanks to chiv now being offensive with no need for other skills) - good times!

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i had 48 GHeal potions stolen in 1 take yesterday - no flag... not sure what else to say when you are fighting someone who steals all your potions from you as they beat you down in pvp (thanks to chiv now being offensive with no need for other skills) - good times!
If that's the case something was just changed

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scott, I just tested what you said out and it is without a doubt false. Not only did I fail on a stack a stack of 22 greater heal pots but I went grey while trying. I also tried targeting the player and similar results