• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ANY Thoughts on a HUGE Gold Sink for UO??

G

Okies....Iam of the opinion that because of the 'recent' and 'past' duping and the blatant scripting that as taken place over the years that UO gold as got out of control and totally unbalaced the UO economy of the game??

One way to combat this would be to have 'new' selling npcs that sell the obvoiusly duped in heavy number items so that everyone in the game can buy and enjoy...im not talking silly cheap either !!!like the monk robes...but say even a huge price like 20-25m for a pair of vinecord sandals or 20-25m for a ta'lkech robe, etc ,etc, basically the heavily duped clothing and weapon items that really should never have been introduced into the game with such stats. Then each time someone buys an item then 20-25m is taken out of the UO economy and out of the UO game...hence a PERFECT gold sink.....

ANY THOUGHTS OR BETTER/GOOD IDEAS??? PEEPS???

I

imported_Sarphus

I'm all for vine cords being available for UO gold. I think 25 mil is WAY too low, though. There are lots of players out there (myself included) that would pay 100 mil for an item like that. The beauty of an item like vine cords as a big-ticket gold sink item is that players will save up for a long period of time just to get a pair. The item is useful enough that people WILL buy them no matter what the cost.

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure that the solution to the duping problem is introducing a gold sink that will only really benefit the richer population. While gold is much easier to make, I still know a lot of people who have never owned more than 10 mil across their account. I agree though that by making those items more readily available, it would kill their "duping" appeal.

IMHO, they shouldn't be bought, they should drop as loot. A simple solution would be to create what I call "replicas". All the former uber EM and Seer items should drop as loot at a slightly higher frequency than the crimson. This could be a drop from the Tram facet champs spawns.

The reason I say replica is because I also dont believe in cheating the original owners out of their legitly earned/acquired reward. So people who own the would still retain it named as such, but everyone else would have a chance of getting Orc Chieftain Helm (Replica) from killing the champ in Tokuno, for example.

So whether it's the helm, the sandal, the sash, the robe, the shield, you could give each champ their own unique item. In Felucca, that potential drop would on top of the PS.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not against gold sinks, but I personally I'm more interested into earning items through gameplay than farming gold to buy them.

E

Emil_surdeegen

the problem will be that ppl Dupe and then sell cheaper than the npc to other players(we could make then only wearable for they buyer)

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

the problem will be that ppl Dupe and then sell cheaper than the npc to other players(we could make then only wearable for they buyer)

[/ QUOTE ]
But what if you wanted to get the item as a present to someone? What if yours has stopped being useful to your template or to your suit and you want to pass it on to a different one of your own characters? Lend it to a guildmate/friend?

I do not argue the fact that this method would effectively nerf dupers, but I've always been against the "bind to specific player" principle. I can understand it in the case of the soulstones, but in every other case (at least that I can think of) it's counter to the whole community/sharing concept which to me is at the core of UO.

It reminds me a lot of one of the things I hate the most in a game like WoW. The whole "item binds when picked up" makes no sense to me. So I receive this uber item that's totally useless to me but that I know someone who would really love having it (or another one of my chars!!) but they can't just cuz they weren't there to pick it up themselves? So I'm forced to sell it back to some NPC for peanuts less than a fraction of what it's worth. It just always gives me the feeling that they're saying "if I can't use/have it, no one else can/will!"

G

A gold sink only counters gold already in the economy or that is being introduced into the economy, but duping while it allows gold to be made is generally used to reproduce items, which simply causes gold or money to change hands, but does not increase the over all amount in the economy.

Scripting gold while formerly very profitable, has had its effectiveness reduced.

In addition if you are going to create an effective gold sink you have to take into consideration that these people who have the ability to script gold or dupe gold will simply obtain more via one of those two methods therefore overwhelming the drain on the economy.

Before you consider creating a gold sink you need to fix the many faucets that pour gold into the economy, or evaluate whether they even exist or if it is simply a matter of the gold changing hands and becoming the properpty of the dupers/scripters.

G

<blockquote><hr>

A gold sink only counters gold already in the economy or that is being introduced into the economy, but duping while it allows gold to be made is generally used to reproduce items, which simply causes gold or money to change hands, but does not increase the over all amount in the economy.

Scripting gold while formerly very profitable, has had its effectiveness reduced.

In addition if you are going to create an effective gold sink you have to take into consideration that these people who have the ability to script gold or dupe gold will simply obtain more via one of those two methods therefore overwhelming the drain on the economy.

Before you consider creating a gold sink you need to fix the many faucets that pour gold into the economy, or evaluate whether they even exist or if it is simply a matter of the gold changing hands and becoming the properpty of the dupers/scripters.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not saying he wants a gold sink DVI. He is saying he is fed up with not being able to own a Talkeesh shroud or Vine Cords himself and can't stand the fact that other people have them. This post is only really about creating another drama thread to ban all items that have been duped.

The key to understanding tophouseplotters' posts is to view him as another microelf or antion villon. His posts are tired old complaints, lacking reason but showing an overwhelming amount of contempt and bitterness.

G

LOL You really are up your own a** Alyssa!!!
My constructive threads= well try this one for ++20 hours work for the europa community!!!
http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7570776&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

-------------------------------------------
The idea of the post is to come up with a gold sink idea!!!! ideas please not stupid critisism....

To help get rid of the excess uo gold thats hurting the UO economy.

To hit the dupers...so there bags of duped good become a lot less valuable, so maybe they wont bother duping more stuff in the future.

The vinecords for certain with only one true pair in exsistance are 100% duped... i certainly would never never pay around 250m for a known duped item , (that may or may not be deleted) at an inflated going rate it seems... but i sure would like to say pay 10/20m for my pvp char from a ingame npc if they became available to everyone as a GREAT GOLD SINK IDEA...

Hey make why not make the npc ones u buy say '' replicas'' as long as they got the same stats, i would be still over the moon in dumping gold into a npc goldsink and all the peeps with the real duped ones can still try to get top whack for them, because they are real duped ones and not the npc replicas......

PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE... have u any better ideas to help steady the UO economy???

G

I have a good idea. How about everytime UOhall sees a post from tophouseplotter whining about something, EA takes out 1 million gold from UO. We should all be serfs by the end of the month.

I

imported_onthefifty

my account's only ten months old.

i've seen much talk about vine cord sandals. can anyone give me a history
lesson as to how these were entered into the game. i'm not talking about
the duped items but the legitimate ones.

thanks.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Hardly "perfect" ... well, maybe a "near perfect" incentive to roll a scritter script to collect the "x" to convert to gold to "buy" yet another unneeded +resists item for buffing the PvPer/PvMer ...

Besides ... as it is now ... kind of a "end game" buy ...IF they remain insurable/blessable ... continually "repairable" ...
PvMers might have paid for the "cost" of their multi-millio suits, either by "earning" it up-front to buy it piece by piece, or "going into debt" by buying the gp online ... then farming enough gold to get back to "the black" ...*shrugs*
PvPers ...
really hard to imagine how they ever "made it back"(the gold paid out) Purely by PvPing .... just saying ... they'd need to "win" an awful lot ... since every "loss" eats into their "gain's" total ...
All the while ... there IS an actual little bit of drain of GP ingame ... when an insured PvP/PvM dies ...

Now ... if the items were to actually "decay" through use ... and NEED eventually to be replaced, or "repeated" death's caused the Insurance rates to climb ... making it "cost effective" to buy a "new" piece, for lower insurance ... or to re-certify a "bless" ... maybe.

but
all the meanwhile ... the inflow of gp, and the pool of gp held, remains pretty high
and the players are well practiced in "circumventing" systems designed to control the levels in the game.

"Fixing" an economy ... not likely to be a "one-shot" deal ...
Especially when humans are involved.

G

<blockquote><hr>

my account's only ten months old.

i've seen much talk about vine cord sandals. can anyone give me a history
lesson as to how these were entered into the game. i'm not talking about
the duped items but the legitimate ones.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were obtained during a seer event on Sonoma shard before events were EM sponsered. The original sandles had no mods, mods came with AOS. They were given out around the same time as other rare named, but of no apparent usefulness items such as Ostard skin boots and gloves. With AOS came the resistances and self repair 1.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. 20,000,000 gold is way out of reach for many, many people.
2. 25,000,000 gold is way too low for vine cord sandles.
3. Once you buy these items, you no longer have a reason to buy them again (at least not more than a few times).

Drop the price to the 10-25k range and make the items become destroyed an hour or so after purchase... and maybe.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Better idea: Lottery system

1. Have the server count the number of accounts that have logged in during the last month for a shard.
2. have lottery tickets cost (100 times the number of active accounts for the shard) per ticket.
3. no ACCOUNT can buy more than 5% of the tickets for the drawing.
4. when the lottery hits 250 million or more in sales, the auction is held on next server maintenance (like the Book of Truth), and vine cords pop into the pack of the first character of the winning account to log into that shard after the drawing. That winning account cannot reenter the lottery for 1 week.
5. After the drawing, the next drawing starts back at #1.

6. Alternatively, have multiple winners each drawing, and multiply the lottery drawing-trigger cap by that number.
7. Optional: Also have one active account at random that didn't buy ANY tickets get a drop each drawing.

G

The collections are a potential huge gold sink (12 million for an 800K-point item). Before we go any further with a vine sandal suggestion, we need to answer why collections have failed as a gold sink and examine what sorts of behavior they have encouraged.

G

I have the perfect gold sink! Everyone give me 90% of your gold.

G

They just plain need to delete all the duped Vinecord Sandals and other Duped crap. They can tell the difference between the real, legit ones and the dupes, by looking at the "ID Tags" on them, which is unique to every item in the game. Since the "ID Tags" have a order, find the Vinecord Sandals with the "earliest ID Tag", and you found the real one (Since only one existed), then delete the rest of them. Then actively pursue and persecute (Ban) dupers.

Don't see how they expect to slow down the flow of gold coming into UO, when they hand out some ridiculous publish that nerfs BoS, yet they continue to let people dupe the hell out of 1 Mill (Or even them illegal checks that went over 1 Mill) checks.

I recently looked in the Rares Collector Forum (Been years since i looked in there), and i honestly think they should rename it the "Dupers and their' Fences Forum". Even see "respected" traders on their selling Vinecord Sandals for 400 Mill or RL Cash, even though the entire couple pages are filled with people selling them.

Honestly, i don't see the difference between that, and finding a bag of cocain on the street after a drug dealer dropped it. Then you getting busted by the cops for trying to sell it, and your' excuse is "But i didn't make it". However, only difference in UO is the cops (GMs) don't give a [censored] to do their job.

F

Flanuva101

<blockquote><hr>

1. 20,000,000 gold is way out of reach for many, many people.
2. 25,000,000 gold is way too low for vine cord sandles.
3. Once you buy these items, you no longer have a reason to buy them again (at least not more than a few times).

Drop the price to the 10-25k range and make the items become destroyed an hour or so after purchase... and maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

20m is not out of reach for alot of people and neither is 25m. Everyone wants to say poor me, poor me, look at him...his has way too much gold...blah blah blah. If people get up off up their butts and work for things in this game like alot of us have, people might be able to afford things they want. But no, people whine and complain about everyone else and they want everything handed to them rather than busting your butt and filling thoses deeds or doing anything whatever it takes ( legally ) to put gold your bank.
People shouldnt be given gold or discounts on items just because they are lazy and want everything someone else has without working for it

G

Delete Vine Cord Sandals en-toto. Let them pass on into UO folklore and end the endless whining about them once and for all.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make a new NPC that will dye items into blink blink color, or colors that shifts between all tok I colors once every 3 seconds.

Make it 20mill per dye, and I am sure plenty of trammies would do it just to have a set of armor with the crazy cool blink blink effect. After all their suit and crossbows along probably cost 50 trillions anyways.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Property Taxes.

You first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have no problem paying a monthly gold upkeep for my castle, keep and 2 18x18's.

G

Then go for it... noone's stopping you right now... are they?

Will you do voluntarily what you suggest people do mandatory?

G

We've had numerous "create this gold sink, create that gold sink" many times prior to this thread, as I said in a prior post
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

and as maplestone stated
<blockquote><hr>

The collections are a potential huge gold sink (12 million for an 800K-point item). Before we go any further with a vine sandal suggestion, we need to answer why collections have failed as a gold sink and examine what sorts of behavior they have encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

or ... perhaps dragons should lay descend and waste to any shop or home containing over a billion gp. That would make a nice gold sink ;-)

I kid, I kid (and yes, I admit I'm jealous and no I don't want to work that hard, although I'm proud of my finger-cramping zoo reward title) ... but it's odd that you would be mad about people not having to "work" for vine sandals since I thought the consensus was that there are no legal pairs left in the game?

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

rtlfc

<blockquote><hr>

we need to answer why collections have failed as a gold sink and examine what sorts of behavior they have encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collections would have been a gold sink if they hadn't allowed items to be donated for more points than gold. Especially in the case of worthless items such as regular bucklers. Also because the handing in of that many items is done with such a tedious and painful system they not only failed in their attempt to be a gold sink but ended up promoting scripting. Scripting in turn in other areas such as mining etc is the reason gold sinks were needed in the first place. (as far as I can tell from others points of view)
So double failure.

Aside from that...

I don't understand why gold sinks are needed.

(I realise this may look like I've said 'script miners are a reason for gold sinks' in the same post as 'I don't know why gold sinks are needed'... let me explain, the first part is talking about why I think collections were implemented. The second part is my own point of view, as I don't script, mine or buy from script miners it doesn't affect me personally.)

G

Not all the collections are so easy - the treasure hunter glasses for example. I was mighty impressed with the lengths that I saw one effort go to in order to get them through maps, but in the end the majority of points were still gold. You have to be insane to do the zoo collection by critters (even though I say that as someone who did donate 2000 drakes).

Are gold sinks needed? I actually have mixed feelings on that. A part of me doesn't care (beyond a little jealousy) but part of me is genuinely frustrated when a single lucky runic earns me more gold than the sum of all my other years of hunting and treasure-seeking (aka having fun).

Inflation does change the dynamic of the game ... it changes adventuring from the search for pure gold to trying to fulfill the needs of the wealthy and that can be a little irksome (since most of us already play the work game in real life and UO is often an escape from that reality). There is the question of how well the game copes with having exploited/duped/scripted gold dumped into it - huge amounts of the gold in the game is tainted in some way. Part of me just prefers the aesthetic of finite wealth. But in the end, no, I don't think UO "needs" a gold sink, unless the billionaires would prefer a way to dispose of their riches rather than using it to "live the high life".

I

imported_spiderpig

Make all event rares a set price. 10 mil, 25 mil, 1 mil, whatever...ends major dupers of those items.

G

"Make all event rares a set price. 10 mil, 25 mil, 1 mil, whatever...ends major dupers of those items."

Until the next "Uber" item comes out, plus they'd still be duping their 1 Mill+ Checks. Best way to end duping is for EA to actively go after dupers, hunt them down, and persecute them. Perma Ban them, block their' IP address and refuse any credit card payments with duper's RL name on it. Also shut down them ridiculous Free Trials.

S

StarlaUO

Gold sink can be easily created by making items that mainly added more decoration into the game but does not affect gameplay or balance. For example metal dye, tokuno dye, bright leather dye. Or change the library items / zoo/ museum items to gold donation only. But why do we need a gold sink in the first place? If you feel like you have too much gold just give to poorer players...

A

Africanus

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Property Taxes.
You first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have no problem paying a monthly gold upkeep for my castle, keep and 2 18x18's. "

Okay, I have declared myself the unofficial property tax apprasier for, which shard are you on? I am setting the rate at 50% value or we seize your home and throw you in the blue macro room until you pay up. How about that?

Bad enough we can' t get rid of the real IRS, we have to create one in UO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Okies....Iam of the opinion that because of the 'recent' and 'past' duping and the blatant scripting that as taken place over the years that UO gold as got out of control and totally unbalaced the UO economy of the game??

One way to combat this would be to have 'new' selling npcs that sell the obvoiusly duped in heavy number items so that everyone in the game can buy and enjoy...im not talking silly cheap either !!!like the monk robes...but say even a huge price like 20-25m for a pair of vinecord sandals or 20-25m for a ta'lkech robe, etc ,etc, basically the heavily duped clothing and weapon items that really should never have been introduced into the game with such stats. Then each time someone buys an item then 20-25m is taken out of the UO economy and out of the UO game...hence a PERFECT gold sink.....

ANY THOUGHTS OR BETTER/GOOD IDEAS??? PEEPS???

[/ QUOTE ]

The major flaw in this idea it that only the dupers with SUPER amounts of money that are currently SELLING the dupes will have the gold you are talking about. So thus THEY are the ones getting all these goodies you are talking about putting up.
I still think all these type of items should become "owned by" on PICK UP..
THEN you idea may have some peices of it used.

G

Totally agree with you... i have tried and contacted one of the Mods about it , but as he said its not his responsebility to make those Rules but Stratics.

So i would like to officially ask stratics to tighten the rules about dupes on forum.
I mean they made it a rule to post about programs not aproved by EA and if you posted about them post gets deleted.

There is rules about posting exployts and scripts but its ok to sell your dupes on this Forum that is obviussly suported by EA since their employes post on it.

I mean what kind of picture that that show for new players ..."Well i bought my vine cord sandals through stratics and now i got banned for it or they where deleted"??

G

Sounds like a good idea initially, but what about all those duped valorite hammers?

G

Gilthas0130

just change the current system.
ie.
remove droped gold from mobs like fel spawn from the ground.
make it cost money to make repair to armor and weps.
better the items like artifact cost more to fix.
get ried of check all together and unable to drop gold in packy.
hey i know use the system like WoW has it works well.

G

Bigger custom house plot sizes up to something like 25x25, but everything bigger than 18x18 costs a lot more. For example 25x25 would cost 50 million or more. Also, houses greater than 7 days old lose 50% of their value when demolished.

G

Some nice ideas coming up specaily house tax!!! per square!!

Oh and by making new event items ''no trade- no drop'' i think they started to do this towards the end of the EM events, kinda makes it cool for the winner of the event item to show off his/her prize and also stops it being sold on silly mega gold amounts into the wrong hands then duped hundreds of times and hence making dupers silly rich more!!!

Not really a goldsink idea above but hell it will stop the cheating dupers, duping more new items, and making more illegal gold for sure!!

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
25 million......listen to yourself. Players who buy gold cannot see the forest for the trees. Seriously, a small majority actuallys dishes out real life dollars for pixels, the rest know better.

One, it's embarressing to family and friends, second it takes away from the true origins of UO. Last and but not least, buying gold is laziness and the fine art of being impatient.....some may disagree.....but guess what, it's because you fall into those nasty modes of existence.

25 million, yeah right......lol

C

Connor_Graham

"Some nice ideas coming up specaily house tax!!! per square!!"

No it's not. It's actually one of the dumbest ideas that continues to pop up every month or 2. If you'd like a reason, just do a search. You'll pull up a myriad of reasons why that idea is ill conceived at best. (As you've agreed to that particular idea before, I'm sure all you'd have to do is pull up your own posting history).

Let's hope 25mil sandals don't start to follow suit....

*shakes head in disbelief*

I

imported_Lord Kynd

personally i think a better 'gold sink' would be if EA would start selling there 'promo stuff / uo shop codes and accepting game GOLD as payment.

S

Smokin

I have an idea for a gold sink, its like the hair dye but instead its a deed you purchase from NPC tailors that lets you alter a hat type item, such as glasses and polar bear mask and all the fancy arti things that are god awful ugly to some people. They will be able to change it to any hat they want. Cost of the deed 500k to 1 mil. They could also possibly make it work for vet robes too.

I

imported_RFrost

I'd like to be able to buy heritage tokens with gold, I'm not going to pay 9.95 per but would spend gold for them!

Z

Zanth

I dont even know why you guys waiste your time putting any ideas into these threads about gold sinks ... All your ideas fall on deaf ears &amp; blind eyes.

They will never put decent gold sinks in place because they do not feel that there is a problems with the economy in this game.

It makes no sense to be honest, because all popular online games i have ever played have currency sinks .. Final Fantasy .. WoW ... They all do.

But then again those are games that care about having decent thriving economy for their players.

All UO has are dupes, dupes and more dupes .. Sure they have caught a few .. Deleted a bit of gold &amp; busted a few scripters. Not a drop in the bucket compaired to if they really cared what they could take out.

But who really cares anymore anyway .. The amount of subscriptions are in the basement &amp; compaired to a few years ago they have had to atleast lost 50% of their player base ( yes that is a guess ).

With the exception of ATL most of these shards are dead &amp; no one plays anymore anyway ... So at the end of the day who really cares if they introduce gold sinks.

Not like it really matters when most of the players have done left for WoW or another online game because those prior to the current Dev Team made bad gaming decisions &amp; already ran half the player base away.

So i say let the gold have no meaning .. Pay 25 mill for Rare Duped sandles or what ever else your little heart desires ... It's all just fake anyway .. So if its fake it should be worthless ... Just like it is .. Worthless !

B

Brommer

Everytime a gold sink idea comes up, so does this horrible property tax idea. I honestly can't believe that anyone could even think that this is a good idea.

I now hearby declare a voluntary property tax! For each tile of your house, you pay me 1k per week fee. Everyone who thinks the property tax is a good idea should meet me at the Luna back and pay me your taxes. That way, people who like the tax idea can pay it, and people who don't like it, don't need to pay it. Everybody wins!

G

Replies to the post in general...

So the UO economy is good- is that what u are telling me??

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Replies to the post in general...

So the UO economy is good- is that what u are telling me??

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether the state of the economy is "good", you need to realise that what many people see as what is wrong, cannot be "fixed" without a TOTAL wipe of all gold, all items, all housing, etc.

Why not just get used to the fact that not everybody can afford everything?