• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another week of boredom?

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading the current FoF, I take it as the event won't change? Golly, think I'll twiddle my thumbs for another week because I'm sick of killing Warriors, Wisps, Berserkers. Rarely does my shard kill the Shadowlords now. What a fun week. =/

G

yea was my thoughts too! gotta love all this Excitement huh! keepin me on the edge of my chair they are.........

F

Fayled Dhreams

which Origin will be the first to see later in the week, including some ways to for all you obsessive hoarders get your lockdown counts down

G

<blockquote><hr>

The next publish also contains some awesome event stuff, which Origin will be the first to see later in the week, including some ways to for all you obsessive hoarders get your lockdown counts down

[/ QUOTE ]

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is great for UPCOMING, meaning future. But we have been doing the same dang thing with this event for 3 weeks now. Damned if I'm going to spend another week doing it. Some event....

G

<blockquote><hr>

which Origin will be the first to see later in the week, including some ways to for all you obsessive hoarders get your lockdown counts down

[/ QUOTE ]

2 problems... Later in the week, could mean Friday... And that means even longer for those of us on normal shards...

G

You could close your eyes and pretend the gate has closed for the next week?

G

We're on an approximately four-week publish cycle, which is just about as fast as we can get content out without having to publish twice to fix everything that was broken the first time. I don't want to disappoint you, but it's better that you have reasonable expectations about how fast the events will come out.

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, ungrateful. We pay RL money for the same thing for three weeks.

Sorry have to edit, make that FOUR weeks.

G

The phrase "slow devs" and also "lack of new content" comes to mind also...

G

Yeah later in the week, for ORIGIN.

Could stop the spawn now, give people something to sell! At the moment I feel like I *should* be getting more stuff but I haven't got the motivation to. And if I do something else, I know i'll regret not getting more stuff later.

G

This isn't meant to be a criticism as such but I find that this just makes the content feel rather stale after a while and the static nature of this particular cycle just feels more and more apparent.

Supposedly, EMs were cut out because the decision was made to focus on what we are getting now. As i've mentioned elsewhere, I think that the best of both can be combined to great effect. Have EMs deliver content over 4 weeks, being on their own time and delivering stuff bit by bit and perhaps with shard-wide variaton. This way you get everybody participating (like now) with the dynamic and fresh content (like with EMs).

As much as I appreciate how publishes work and how its just not easy to give us new stuff on a large scale every week or two, it really is just going on a bit too long. I think the problem is not so much a month between publishes, but during that month the content is no different from day 1.

I thought this was a 2-day affair. As a week went by I thought ok - a 2 WEEK thing.. by the first few days I was already picking less and less up. Now I have about 100 cloaks and I can't go on anymore. As each week went on, not knowing how long we would have to carry on, I just got less and less into it. It might have been better to have been told from the beginning that the rift would be around perhaps a month or so. Oh well. At least we know when something new can be expected!

G

Well then perhaps you should take your RL money elsewhere if you arn't happy with the current situation... alot of people don't get all day and night to collect the goods for the turn in you know!
Like has been said in the past, people cry about not having any events then there is people like you for example that cry because it's not moving at the speed of light... It's friday, step outside, get some fresh air and be glad we still have a game to play!

^Wolfie^

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone should go play candyland.

As for on topic, doesn't feel fun anymore when an event starts feeling like a chore.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't know about ya'll but I've been paying for the same content for oh...5 YEARS??? Geesh guys gimme a break. The next publish is gonna be the turn-in thingy so this gives you time to collect even MORE stuff to turn in! GO GO GADGET HOARDING! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOo

*runs off to terra keep to stock up on more ophidian stuff*

G

A chore as in someone is "making" you do it? Seriously, i'm sure no one is twisting your arm to log on uo and kill things!

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I bet there are many people out there who are happy that it goes on for a while. People who do not have that much time to play get now more chances to collect stuff. If you think it's too much for you right now, then go mining, go hunt something else or do whatever you want.

I think it is good that things last not only for a week or two.

G

*puts pom poms down*

I gotta agree with the theme of this thread. To keep the game fresh and exciting for people you have to keep the updates coming.
An "event" is something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time, and after a month that "interval of time" becomes less "eventful" and more "tedious".
I realize we are short-staffed in the dev department. Even the smallest of changes would shut "us" up I think.
Test shard next week. Origin at the end of the week and over the weekend. The rest of the world... 11-14 days away?

G

Im with Wolfie here.

If I was still collecting items at the rate I was in the first two days, I would have run out of house space a few weeks back. Already having to carry around spare runebooks, use new character's banks and sell stuff just to make space to store stuff. In the first two days I went all out to get lots of stuff but like Wolfie says, it feels like a chore now.

Myself, I have had 3 weeks off Uni. I wasn't expecting this particular content to go on for as long as it had. Two days staying up late and putting in lots of time to get items is fair enough. A week, perhaps. But this is 3 weeks.. and now I can't justify wasting time and not getting items because of the time I DID put in in those first two days.

But with this next week approaching and two assignments due in, I can't justify spending any more time collecting stuff. Every minute I am not in Moonglow, other people are getting stuff I could be getting.

New stuff DID happen after a week or so - the rift pieces started moving around a bit. Didnt do anything, but it was new.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ya, ungrateful. We pay RL money for the same thing for three weeks.

Sorry have to edit, make that FOUR weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see... I pay RL money for UO to do the following:

Champ Spawns
Peerless
Roleplay Events
PvP Tournaments
Factions
Occasional EA Event
Fun Quests
Random PvM
Silly Player-Run events
House Design
Runic Crafting
Building Suits

I'm getting my money's worth. But I can see, Wolfie, if -all- you have done for the past while is the Moonglow event, where you would be disappointed. So then, in my infinite wisdom, I suggest branching out, and trying all the other things Ultima Online has to offer. Then you will get your money's worth.

If, however, you do not get your money's worth through that, yet continue to pay AND complain, then you are only being silly. Just cancel!

I

imported_Heartseeker

Agreed.

Was fun for a couple of days.

Even though the dev team is small, we pay the same amount of money we did when it was larger.

Bottom line is that we should expect a certain amount of service/content.

All the fun things in this game were in long ago, and there is no new "real content".

Since bits and scraps are enough for a lot of the player base; then that is all we will get.

Besides the KR client I haven't seen anything new or worthwhile, just some fixes to existing systems.

G

You see I thought that, as it said, the event would occur over two days. We were told there would be more to do over the coming weeks.

<blockquote><hr>

If you can't make the scheduled portions of the event, there will be more to do over the next few weeks as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

Event occurs over two days

[/ QUOTE ]

Day 1 was really a pre-cursor short set of dialogue for day 2. Day 2 we went and fought some stuff after a short initial dialogue between characters (which was already fairly late on Europa!) Since then, nothing at all is different since that second day.

My issue really is that I (and probably others, I don't know) thought that the two-day thing was one event and that after that we'd get more stuff to do. Instead, day two's speciality was just some dialogue (that, no offense, I wouldn't have stayed up nearly 2 hours past the scheduled GMT time to watch).

And, finally

<blockquote><hr>

Just being there sets the stage for your interactions in Day Two.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. It really was JUST day two that had the special buff for being there on day one.

I guess it just wasn't what I had expected and, had I known it would be like this, I would have not rushed to get any of the items.

Also on day two:

* Be prepared to choose your loyalties

Hmm.. what was that even supposed to mean?

C

cjc2797x

Hey...I know...I know....!!!! You can just complain and whine about how bored you are! I mean really, complaining and whining doesn't happen often enough on UO U.Hall. Now that you put your two cents in, you can be busy with responding to your stupid post - how fun!!!

I

imported_Sip-n-Shine

<blockquote><hr>

After reading the current FoF, I take it as the event won't change? Golly, think I'll twiddle my thumbs for another week because I'm sick of killing Warriors, Wisps, Berserkers. Rarely does my shard kill the Shadowlords now. What a fun week. =/

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here i go being myself again. I have enjoyed the event an no i have not spent every minute in the Dark moonglow. I have been there enough to get a few items very few. I have spent my time working on other things till some other players are there to help kill the spawn. I have already said what i got an a few thought i spent me time in doom because of the items i got seemed to be from doom...

I have been working on chars to be ready for the faction up-date there are many things to do you can even go outside an get fresh air.

With all this moaning about Iam bored. Well that is your fault do something else..

I want a Pre Pub 16 shard I want stat loss back so i can put would be reds out of commission I want the old Uo back... I want a lot too an pay just as much as everyone else..

An for those that got over 50 of any thing shame on you greedy no good fools. Like i said i got wants too. An i want them more than you :p Clowns

G

<blockquote><hr>

I thought there were supposed to be updates to the event over the timespan it was to occupy.. all that's happened were fixing most of the shards because they werent working right, and the machine disintegrating last week sometime... so where's the "more to do"?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my assumption as well. I actually like long events, but I also like changes during that time. If this event continued until June it wouldn't matter to me as long as we had new stuff added along the way here and there. Even tossing a few new monsters in to beat up is an update.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There'll be more to do as the next two weeks wear on, of course. Then it's go time with the next publish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was expecting. Even just new things to find, NPC dialogues to follow around or a new place to look at.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not going to throw a tantrum - ill probably just carry on with Uni work - I just think a big point needs to be made about it, especially since I thought that there would be more to do.

I

imported_Risso

<blockquote><hr>

New stuff DID happen after a week or so - the rift pieces started moving around a bit. Didnt do anything, but it was new.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assumed that was just to stop people standing in the fountain and casting on beserkers without fear of dying? So not plot relevant as such, just putting an end to an exploit.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I assumed that was just to stop people standing in the fountain and casting on beserkers without fear of dying? So not plot relevant as such, just putting an end to an exploit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so too.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I bet there are many people out there who are happy that it goes on for a while. People who do not have that much time to play get now more chances to collect stuff. If you think it's too much for you right now, then go mining, go hunt something else or do whatever you want.

I think it is good that things last not only for a week or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh enough of this. Every event we get drags on for months until everyone has lost interest and the previously exciting and new rare event items are being thrown on the bank floor as dirt-common trash. And when someone complains, it's always the same thing about how "casual players" only get to log on for thirty seconds a week, and letting every event run on for weeks and months allows them to participate too.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We're on an approximately four-week publish cycle, which is just about as fast as we can get content out without having to publish twice to fix everything that was broken the first time. I don't want to disappoint you, but it's better that you have reasonable expectations about how fast the events will come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely believe that you guys need to revisit EMs then because even the worst EM events were more spontaneous than these events. First of all there are hardly any events for months and then the ones we get severely lack in pace.

Think of it as a hollywood movie where 90% of the conversation happens in the first and last 10% of the movie.

It is not working.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Well then perhaps you should take your RL money elsewhere if you arn't happy with the current situation... alot of people don't get all day and night to collect the goods for the turn in you know!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just rubbish. Asking that everyone who pays has to follow the pace of the slowest gamer is a surefire way of killing the game. There is absolutely no reason that it cannot be paced in such a way that it has everything for everyone. However, to think that someone who plays apparently two days in 4 weeks should have exact same opportunity at "stuff" and feeling of being part of the event as any other gamer is downright ridiculous.

BTW, I don't give a damn about "collecting" turn in. I have gotten two cloak of corruptions and 1 thread - that was more than enough. Anytime I go down there now is only to heal people and see if I can feel like being part of something fun. However, the way the event is geared is mostly for people who want to "collect stuff for the turn in."

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually ... I've been eyeing the "fountain" as a sort of "tracker" ...

not all shards are the same.

Atlantic is a little off center
Siege's "decayed' in an odd sort of way ... looked like the black "spire" with the vortex cube ... shrunk down into the soil ... before totally dissapearing.
Napa has a vortex cube ... on the ground between the fountain and the 'erbal splendor tree ...
Europa still has 3 sides of the earlier "fence"
Pacific has a clear path between the floating bits

Some have the kettles and cables and acid back ..
most don't

pretty long and uniquely winding road ...
just to kill an easily disallowed "exploit"
(change the tiles to "can't transport there")
*shrugs*

E

eolsunder1

Well I have to also say that the progression of the event is kinda lagging. First day, about 5 minutes of "event" then finally the spawn came, and everyone was happy dying to warriors, wisps, shadowlords, then beserkers, everyone got their shields, swords, finally most blackrock used up and now we can get cloaks..

Then we see the current "stage" of the even dragging on. one week, 2 weeks, up to 3 weeks, now word that its another week or 2.. Dragging...dragging...

But yea, even though the event is progressing as slow as molassas, 2 things.

1) You don't have to do the event. Plenty of game about. Its just a small area that you can work and fight in, still everything else in the game to do. Just stop going to the rift and do other things.

2) hopefully with the long wait something good will be comming, hopefully unlike the magincia event. You know, the magincia event, where after weeks of the same old rubble/demons, we had the "ending" of the event at the gate, which really only lasted minutes as a few people ganked down the final foes and ran off with the rubble shadow pillars. Everyone else wandered by later and went "so, whens this event going to end" LOL.

I

imported_Desolation87

Me Mam always said only boring people get bored...

G

You can twiddle your thumbs if you want to.

I'm too busy to be bored, far too many things to do in this game to have to do any one thing, even a current event, if you've had enough of it.

I

imported_wrekognize

I'm glad there's other things to do. Peerless/spawns are fun. This event is not.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

This is great for UPCOMING, meaning future. But we have been doing the same dang thing with this event for 3 weeks now. Damned if I'm going to spend another week doing it. Some event....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do anything for 3 weeks straight to the exclusion of anything else, you're bound to get bored. There's an entire world out there called Sosaria with multitudes of things to do. Why don't you go try some of them and not blame the event. There are plenty of us that still have fun with the event every day, so it's not that the event is boring, it's just boring to YOU.

Sure, I would have liked to have seen something change this weekend, but I'm perfectly content to continue as things are going now that we know that we're looking at changes coming up next week, and most importantly, the turn in after a successful trial on Origin.

G

I am enjoying the event and hell its better than the nothing we had before but yes maybe its gone on a little too long

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

there are other things for you to do with your life you know.
you are not stuck with whatever 'event' might be going on.

i've spent plenty of time durring this event being to sick to sit up, and now look the weather it's hitting 70's wooot, time to plant grass and flowers and enjoy the nice weather.

this event could last forever and i woud be happy. then i could enjoy it at my leasure.

Peace,Love,N Slurrpies

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you code the event so that various parts of it are triggered by some control files. So you publish the entire event and at server it up it checks the control files to decide what part of the event is active per shard?

Maybe UO is too archaic to work that way - but I'm perplexed by the fact that you need an entire publish to 'turn on' parts of the game. You obviously found a way to 'parameterize' the xmass trees on/off. Why can't events be run the same way?

I

imported_Thed

Personally I think the event is going well.

It is progressing at a rate that everyone, even those who can't play several hours a day, has a chance to get in and enjoy the event.

It is a rough job to balance between players that play alot and players that don't.

I'm glad to see it going at the rate it is.

Thank you Jeremy.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Needing the UO devs to provide players with weekly reasons to play is seriously sad. This game is diverse, there's too much to do. I have been paying too for over 5 years for what I see before me.

If I did not like it, I'd quit and go build levels, or some other mundane task.
Imagination, the kids of today have no clue.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Another week of boredom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredulous. Some of the replies are amazing. Do you realise that you are actually paying a monthly fee to be bored?

If youre bored then cancel your subscription for a month then come back when theres something to do. I have NEVER been bored playing UO. If I think its heading that way then I'll cancel and do something else for a month or so. If im ever logged in its BECAUSE I have something to do. It seems a lot of people just log in out of habit without thinking what they'll actually do when in game.

Failing that you could always do something else instead of play UO. In other words get a life and do something different if youre bored. Paying for the pleasure is just plain stupid.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this doesnt make any sense , 4 weeks to make a 1-2 hour event...

G

Lucky me I have not stepped foot in moonglow or dark moonglow whatever you may want to call it woot no trammie drama for me lol.