• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another Feature (mathematicians are welcome!)

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to understand something to like it, and if you don't like something why should you take some efforts to pass over the adversity?
Funnily enough, not being stupid, we can figure that out... equally we'd hope you understand we don't think this is right, but apparently that doesn't matter and it'll happen anyway, so I may as well leave the conversation ....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funnily enough, not being stupid, we can figure that out... equally we'd hope you understand we don't think this is right, but apparently that doesn't matter and it'll happen anyway, so I may as well leave the conversation ....

Well, if there would be a toggle that one can turn on or leave it as off..... what would be the problem ?

I mean, having more options about varied ways to play the game I would imagine it as a bonus considering that not all players might want to play the game just exactly the same.... so, for those not wanting to know, the toggle could be off while for those wanting to know, the toggle could be on.

What problem could there be with this approach ?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lately I brought 3 people to play UO, new players that never known this game. 1 of them took the risk against the unknown, he died, lost everything and then he told me: "what a crap game, I lost all against this monster, and now what? should I farm noble at new haven to re-buy all? no thanks". After that and due to the fact that he couldn't find any purpose, he uninstalled the game.
The other 2 just got bored to kill skeletons and asked around to someone what they could do, but unfortunately they found the local jester that brought them in destard where they died immediately. Lost forever into the woods without a clue on what to do or any idea of what kind of monster they could really handle, they just quit forever.
the experiences of your friends sound just about like everyones "nooby" experiences. ones we remember fondly. the difference is they gave up and quit. didnt learn to be more careful next time. sounds like UO just wasnt the game for them. sound like very impatient gamers that UO would not be a good fit for.

I think the new player experience would be better served by new quested, and blessed quest armor that was a little better than what we have now (say 70s resists, 30hci/dci, or 60s resists 100lrc 30lmc.

the new UI is nice, but its no where near a solution to new players not sticking with UO.

Too many "easy mode" buttons WILL cause players to leave the game, or come back to it and not stay. because it just wont be the UO they remember.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the experiences of your friends sound just about like everyones "nooby" experiences. ones we remember fondly. the difference is they gave up and quit. didnt learn to be more careful next time. sounds like UO just wasnt the game for them. sound like very impatient gamers that UO would not be a good fit for.

I think the new player experience would be better served by new quested, and blessed quest armor that was a little better than what we have now (say 70s resists, 30hci/dci, or 60s resists 100lrc 30lmc.

the new UI is nice, but its no where near a solution to new players not sticking with UO.

Too many "easy mode" buttons WILL cause players to leave the game, or come back to it and not stay. because it just wont be the UO they remember.
yes, a set of quests to lead the character progression is necessary, but also more decent rewarding quests for everyone that doensn't want to invent something to do.
The blessed armor is available only if you buy the game, new players always goes for the trial first so they don't have any bonus.

it's not an easy mode, it's just an automated way to tell you if you can handle something instead of searching around the web and using countless formulas to do that...
Also remember that a game needs to be attractive, not the player that must find something attractive or some memories of a long gone past. The past is always sweet when you think about it, even if it was a real hell.

Everyone always remember the game when it was simple like if it was some kind of heaven where all were happy, but why noone remembers the huge lag spikes that lasts for even 5-10 minutes, the countless crashes, the insane duping and cheating? and what about the slaughterhouse that brought to the creation of trammel since many player leaved the game because for them it was too much frustrating to play?

Like for the real world, the game needs to evolve. Sure, I can add toggle to disable features (like on real you can choose to ride a horse instead of using a car), but you can't expect that the new generations likes something just because you liked it 15 years ago, otherwise this game will have the same fate of the dinosaurs...

We should not base the whole game on returning players, because many of them are DEAD of old age , sooner or latere there will be noone left to return :D

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand ur point smoot .. but returning uo players even ones that have been gone just a handful of years are coming back to a UO that is way different.

I do agree a new player should get some quests for a decent suit.

Which goes had in hand with a new player starter package in the bank box. i.e. some lower level suit based on there start skills.. weaker then the quest suit u proposed.. a bit more start cash.. full book depending on there start skill.. (or at least somewhat filled).. a runebook with maybe luna or newhaven or both marked.. with some charges... the book you spawn with.. with some tips inside... etc.

i was logging into old chars last night i have some on shards with the old 100gold packages!!

but back to this topic.. i don't think some type of in game guide is a bad thing. i hate it... but see the point.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... I do agree a new player should get some quests for a decent suit...
Perhaps a mid-range blessed suit that can't be lost, but isn't over-powering. That would make a nice newbie quest. It should even be possible to make it so someone with too many skills can't use it to keep from being exploited.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand ur point smoot .. but returning uo players even ones that have been gone just a handful of years are coming back to a UO that is way different.

I do agree a new player should get some quests for a decent suit.

Which goes had in hand with a new player starter package in the bank box. i.e. some lower level suit based on there start skills.. weaker then the quest suit u proposed.. a bit more start cash.. full book depending on there start skill.. (or at least somewhat filled).. a runebook with maybe luna or newhaven or both marked.. with some charges... the book you spawn with.. with some tips inside... etc.

i was logging into old chars last night i have some on shards with the old 100gold packages!!

but back to this topic.. i don't think some type of in game guide is a bad thing. i hate it... but see the point.
i dont think by its self its bad. a simple rating of monsters would be useful to a new player.

what i do think is very bad is if things like this go too far.

Examples:
Being able to see a creatures / players stats and resists.
Being able to see slayer type (or auto equip right slayer)
Automated actions / macros that remove elements of skill (theres some already built into the EC that highly resemble script play)

Theres a fine line between user-friendly and marshmellow non-skilled gameplay that we see in so many mmorpgs today.
UO isnt a modern game.
It needs to be user-freindly, but still keep the feel / style from 20 years ago because thats the reason people play it.
theres plenty of better games if you want modern convenience

The Old Man

Journeyman
Premium
Stratics Veteran
I Like the idea of some 'Hunter's Guide' type info on monsters. Just makes life a little more convenient than typing the name into Stratics.

Difficulty rating by character class (as Hunter's Guide) seems useful, but going further and relating it to yr specific character is perhaps a little bit to far.

Also very difficult to do accurately & reliably. If Pinco says the Toon will win and it looses I can imagine lots of posts complaining!

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe you can do analysis of your skills and stats against the enemy from 1 - 10 or how you like:

120 skill primary weapon is 10
45 hci also 10
45 dci 10
etc.

against the troll or monster with its values, by the way you need a good db for it ;) instead of calculating excatly

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also keep in mind some skills are worthless until a certain spell is reached.
a skill of 95 might be of no benefit
a skill of 100 might be of huge benefit

real skill might be huge benefit vrs jewelry / item skill no benefit

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, a set of quests to lead the character progression is necessary, but also more decent rewarding quests for everyone that doensn't want to invent something to do.
basic tutorial quests would be helpful, beyond that UO is not a quest / progression based game.

if a person doesnt want to "invent something to do" then UO isnt the right game for him. maybe play wow instead.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The blessed armor is available only if you buy the game, new players always goes for the trial first so they don't have any bonus.
blessed armor is currently available to all new players via newhaven quests. its just not very good. a bump to resists and minor bump in stats would be a huge improvement.

Also keep in mind cursed gear is very stong and easily replaceable.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if a person doesnt want to "invent something to do" then UO isnt the right game for him. maybe play wow instead.
I don't agree with that... WoW will always force people to do quests, but UO can give freedom AND quests. This is what will bring more people, the possibility to do whatever you want or just some quest to pass the time. Forcing people to do one thing or another is never the answer, the more things you can do, the better it is :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if there would be a toggle that one can turn on or leave it as off..... what would be the problem ?

I mean, having more options about varied ways to play the game I would imagine it as a bonus considering that not all players might want to play the game just exactly the same.... so, for those not wanting to know, the toggle could be off while for those wanting to know, the toggle could be on.

What problem could there be with this approach ?
if its a simple difficulty level there would be no problem
i Do see a problem tho if its a detailed assessment, or if it brings up detailed info for a monster
One feature isnt a gamebreaker alone, its when its many features like this

This is the problem.
These features will only be available in the new UI, available only in the EC.
If the EC becomes overwhelmingly superior to the CC people will feel like the are being forced to play it to be the best at the game
Mesanna says its about 50/50 EC vrs CC right now (Stratics polls usually have about 70percent who prefer CC)
if people feel like they have to play EC to be on the same competitive playing field your going to lose players.
So, if we have too many of these features with no update to the CCs features, were going to lose alot of players.
Lets say 50percent of players just stick to CC as is, 50 percent arent happy knowing EC players have massive benefits. Out of that 50 perecent who arent happy half switch, the others quit.
Thats an overall 10-15 percent loss of current players.

The Old Man

Journeyman
Premium
Stratics Veteran
and if you start adding features to the Classic Client you'll end up with the ECC (Enhanced Classic Client) which will also displease people!

I think its all in the name...The Classic is for those who want what they've always had & the Enhanced has lots of Enhancements :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and if you start adding features to the Classic Client you'll end up with the ECC (Enhanced Classic Client) which will also displease people!

I think its all in the name...The Classic is for those who want what they've always had & the Enhanced has lots of Enhancements :)
But there is also the people (like myself) whos major problem with EC is mainly the graphics and the performance. Just about every person who plays classic, it comes down to the graphics. the ECs graphics are just too bad / sloppy to be enjoyable. Some of the features i would love to have in the CC however.

That being said, i wouldnt want to be stuck in a situation where EC players have a gamebreaking advantage over classic client players.

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This is the problem.
These features will only be available in the new UI, available only in the EC.
If the EC becomes overwhelmingly superior to the CC people will feel like the are being forced to play it to be the best at the game
Mesanna says its about 50/50 EC vrs CC right now (Stratics polls usually have about 70percent who prefer CC)
if people feel like they have to play EC to be on the same competitive playing field your going to lose players.
So, if we have too many of these features with no update to the CCs features, were going to lose alot of players.
Lets say 50percent of players just stick to CC as is, 50 percent arent happy knowing EC players have massive benefits. Out of that 50 perecent who arent happy half switch, the others quit.
Thats an overall 10-15 percent loss of current players.
I'll have to disagree with you here, Smoot.

First of all, Stratics polls are not scientific and have zero use. But you didn't really base your argument on that.

Second, you are guess what other people will quit because of improvements to the EC and not the CC? That is just nonsense. I can guess just as accurately, that so many new players will be pleased with the extra features of the EC that the player base will double. This is just guessing and nothing more.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately it seems the first lesson many of us learned in this game was NOT to trust fellow players, gradually IF you don't quit you find one or two you can trust and it expands. With the decline in players that's harder and harder to do. The next lesson I learned was to RUN. The game is a steep learning curve, and even as a Veteran of some things there are many things that have never been part of my game life and the newer things I've experienced in limited quantity. While I am willing to spend hours if need be explaining, making rune books, spell books, giving tours etc. It's not enough. The inconsistencies in game and lack of info really are frustrating, and wading through pages and pages of websites to gain that missing piece of info you need gets dreary. I can see the need to make it functional if new to the game. New Haven was an attempt... but it doesn't give enough variety to keep you interested long enough to be wandering freely on any facet.

We had despise as a newbie dungeon... they've now got the New Haven Mine and New Haven. We had companions and staff if things got terribly out of control. While some things like the "help I'm stuck" feature were added, and some of this stuff may eventually sort of be back maybe, it has very much become a place where your sort dropped off the deep end into the pool and then just left there. Part of the changes are that we're talking about a whole new generation raised with computers and technology and instant information. For those of us whose first game was Pong, and computers came as adults and were the size of a kitchen appliance I think the challenge of can we learn this, continue the skill working etc was part of the fun. Maybe we need to yield some and accept as my grandfather had to that Elvis and Rock n Roll weren't going away again. hehe Welcome the newer generation and let them teach us?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The netire game bascially needs a revamp, the global loot will hopefully help some. I personally get tired of going out of my way helping someone new with scrolls full armor and weps just to have them stop playing after two/three months. Most people that are new don't want to grind things out. They want to just login and be able to do anything at anytime. There is a difference between helping someone and them straight out mooching everything cause theyre lazy. No lazy UO players allowed TYVM.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lately I brought 3 people to play UO, new players that never known this game. 1 of them took the risk against the unknown, he died, lost everything and then he told me: "what a crap game, I lost all against this monster, and now what? should I farm noble at new haven to re-buy all? no thanks". After that and due to the fact that he couldn't find any purpose, he uninstalled the game.
The other 2 just got bored to kill skeletons and asked around to someone what they could do, but unfortunately they found the local jester that brought them in destard where they died immediately. Lost forever into the woods without a clue on what to do or any idea of what kind of monster they could really handle, they just quit forever.
Were these 3 people already familiar with MMORPGs? Because it seems they were already trained to the Theme Park rails (especially the first guy). People trained to the Theme Park rails, want to be led by the hand and told what to do, with 0 risk. Which as a Sandbox, is what UO has never been about.

As for the newb "losing everything", what kind of gear was he wearing? An Exceptional Valorite Platemail Tunic crafted by a GM Armslore Legendary Blacksmith with 52 total Resist costs 62 gold to insure, that's a single Zombie in New Haven worth of gold. For an entire Exceptional Valorite Platemail Suit, it's like 275 gold in insurance. Even a total newb can quickly rack that up in 2-3 mins killing stuff in New Haven. Maybe instead, you should have a popup occur informing new characters/players about Insurance. Because that's what seems to be the problem, new players are just dumped into the game with absolutely no knowledge of even the existence of insurance, at least until a veteran player tells them about it.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But there is also the people (like myself) whos major problem with EC is mainly the graphics and the performance. Just about every person who plays classic, it comes down to the graphics. the ECs graphics are just too bad / sloppy to be enjoyable. Some of the features i would love to have in the CC however.

That being said, i wouldnt want to be stuck in a situation where EC players have a gamebreaking advantage over classic client players.
yeah a toggle in ec.. to turn on old art for the win. heh

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to disagree with you here, Smoot.

First of all, Stratics polls are not scientific and have zero use. But you didn't really base your argument on that.

Second, you are guess what other people will quit because of improvements to the EC and not the CC? That is just nonsense. I can guess just as accurately, that so many new players will be pleased with the extra features of the EC that the player base will double. This is just guessing and nothing more.
Actually the reality is that the changes made over the years indeed have led to the decrease in populations that now exists on most shards, instead of a doubling of the player base.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say no to a feature like this even if it comes with an off switch. UO is a sandbox - discovery and exploration is a huge part of the experience. And it just doesn't sound like something that will work well or be really useful to anyone. Let me explain why before anyone flames my rear off...

I'm still explaining to new tamers that the power rating on a pet isn't the full story, but some really get it in their heads that these numbers are conclusive and all they need to know. These players will never know a really good pet when they see it because they learned about ratings, think that's accurate and we have to explain to them why the formula can mark down a good pet or mark up a bad one. Then begin explaining what we might look for in a strong pet and why. Here we go again with another rating system! Again we'll be explaining why the rating isn't all they need to know, when we could save time and just explain how to evaluate how strong a creature is. Let's not treat newbies like idiots and keep them that way.

And let's be totally honest. A tool like this might convince a few newbies to fight something, but they will just quit because of another complexity or problem further down the line. Sooner or later UO gets complex, so they may as well know that up front before they put in training time.

The best way to help newbies and experienced players via the UI is to put in a link to the Hunter's Guide etc on a button so players can get their browser open and find a map of the spawn area, the monsters in it, and make an informed decision. Before they go into the spawn, not when they meet it (which is far too late and deadly lol). Include a link to the hunter's guide page for a creature when you see it - that would be handy if you want the max stats for a pet before you tame it or you aren't a tamer who can lore creatures on the spot. But it's better for a newbie to look up a dungeon, see what's in it and equip themselves before they go hunting. It's a good practice to get into. It's better that they see the full details of a creature when they encounter it, than another "rating" that they really need to ignore if they want to learn UO properly.

I'm also concerned that this sounds like we're getting a new UI in terms of the full Pincos rather than a more streamlined version. I hope there is going to be a way to remove the bits we don't want rather than have a client bogged down with all these tools, or the EC just got seriously OTT.

Wenchy

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say no to a feature like this even if it comes with an off switch. UO is a sandbox - discovery and exploration is a huge part of the experience. And it just doesn't sound like something that will work well or be really useful to anyone. Let me explain why before anyone flames my rear off...

I'm still explaining to new tamers that the power rating on a pet isn't the full story, but some really get it in their heads that these numbers are conclusive and all they need to know. These players will never know a really good pet when they see it because they learned about ratings, think that's accurate and we have to explain to them why the formula can mark down a good pet or mark up a bad one. Then begin explaining what we might look for in a strong pet and why. Here we go again with another rating system! Again we'll be explaining why the rating isn't all they need to know, when we could save time and just explain how to evaluate how strong a creature is. Let's not treat newbies like idiots and keep them that way.

And let's be totally honest. A tool like this might convince a few newbies to fight something, but they will just quit because of another complexity or problem further down the line. Sooner or later UO gets complex, so they may as well know that up front before they put in training time.

The best way to help newbies and experienced players via the UI is to put in a link to the Hunter's Guide etc on a button so players can get their browser open and find a map of the spawn area, the monsters in it, and make an informed decision. Before they go into the spawn, not when they meet it (which is far too late and deadly lol). Include a link to the hunter's guide page for a creature when you see it - that would be handy if you want the max stats for a pet before you tame it or you aren't a tamer who can lore creatures on the spot. But it's better for a newbie to look up a dungeon, see what's in it and equip themselves before they go hunting. It's a good practice to get into. It's better that they see the full details of a creature when they encounter it, than another "rating" that they really need to ignore if they want to learn UO properly.

I'm also concerned that this sounds like we're getting a new UI in terms of the full Pincos rather than a more streamlined version. I hope there is going to be a way to remove the bits we don't want rather than have a client bogged down with all these tools, or the EC just got seriously OTT.

Wenchy
For pets there is already the pet power calculator inside the animal lore of my UI :D

Also a game should NEVER rely on any kind of web site to provide info to its players, otherwise the game is not a good game. Because players should get what they need by playing and not by spendig time on the internet searching for what they need.

And let's not mistake the new default UI with what I'm planning for my UI, because those are 2 separate things :p

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to understand something to like it, and if you don't like something why should you take some efforts to pass over the adversity?
@Pinco - From what I have read, there is a lot of good feedback in this thread. This statement (above) got my wheels turning about your original post. It seems to contradict it.

Your original post is a very grand undertaking. It is an attempt to boil down a highly complex set of variables, from two sources (player and target) into a single, simple Go / No-Go number (or stoplight chart). Any explanation of how that number/rating is achieved will cause most players to quickly tune out, they will not understand. The number will be constrained to whatever scenario/build is used, how the various aspects are weighted to the player's odds of success, and qualified by the stats/skills of the player. This will limit the usefulness of the rating significantly. Player A may have an easier time, than Player B, versus the same monster, simply because of their character builds. The number will be unable to represent intangible factors such as: 1) Player skill and tactics (e.g it is easy to kill an Arctic Ogre Lord with a cheap Ogre Slayer Spellbook and the 3rd Circle Fireball spell, just keep your distance); 2) Location of the target (e.g. any additional spawn in the area). This endeavor can quickly and easily become even more complicated than the original post eludes to, and produce a very meaningless result.

To this end you have to take a step back and re-evaluate the goal of the project. Try to focus on the "problem" and not the "solution". The original post goes right into the execution of a solution.
  • What information are you trying to convey?
  • Who is your target audience?
  • What will the information be used for?
  • Why is this needed?
To me, it sounds like you want to:
Create an easy to understand rating to identify the difficulty of a foe to a new player, in order to ease the learning curve of the game.

As other posters have suggested, there is an in-game system which provides the difficulty rating of a foe, the Barding Difficulty (http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/bardingdifficulty.php). I suggest using the Barding Difficulty, simply as it is, without qualifying it against the player's stats/skills. This will result in a number which indicates how difficult the monster is compared to other monsters. If the number is adjusted for the player's stats/skills it can become a crutch and eliminate intangible elements of the UO learning curve. I suggest using the same scale of 0-160 as the Barding Difficulty, so that the player does not need to learn a new system and will be more familiar with the Barding Difficulty when they want to explore using bard skills. Most 0-10 scales are arbitrary, there is no law/reason that it cannot be 0-160. As far as determining which monsters correspond to which levels of the stoplight (red/yellow/green), you can use the Hunter's Guide Advanced Search (http://uo.stratics.com/database/search.php?db_content=hunters) to search on Barding Difficulty. I suggest you explore the monsters at several values of Barding Difficulty and solicit feedback as to which are red/yellow/green. One thing to keep in mind, there will be alot of "red" for a new player.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stop dumbing down the game. Work on the UI, not giving away all the hard earned info that is at the heart of what makes UO fun... you're basically trying to steal the exploration factor from a new player. Part of the fun is seeing a gargoyle and thinking, "I CAN TAKE IT!" and running in guns blazing with a newbie sword and a few bandaids. Then realizing, OH HELL, it just poisoned me and used some fire spell on me, RUN HALF LIFE! ;) Stop dumbing down the game. Don't copy other 3d games. This is UO. Not Evercrap. INNOVATE. How about opening up UO (it is old) and giving the player community some tools to help the dev team innovate? I know a LOT of people in the community that would dive in headfirst (free of charge) for the opportunity to help make UO better than any dev has in the last 10+ years... Just go look at any freeshard for examples. I see better ideas on some of them than I've ever seen in pay UO.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way Pinco, I know you put a lot of work into the 3d ui. I've tried it myself. Nice work, I wasn't disparaging that at all. ;) If you need to help getting imbuing scores to match more closely, I'm sure I could help you. ;)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also a game should NEVER rely on any kind of web site to provide info to its players, otherwise the game is not a good game. Because players should get what they need by playing and not by spendig time on the internet searching for what they need.
You never played WoW at all, did you? You ever try doing a Heroic dungeon or Raid with people who didn't research the boss mechanics at all? Those people dropped like flies, and they could get the entire group wiped because of their lack of knowledge. The people who were too lazy to look up a boss mechanic on WoWHead or a "How To" on YouTube, were also too lazy to look at an in-game Dungeon Journal that listed the boss mechanics. They were collectively known as "baddies".

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Pinco - From what I have read, there is a lot of good feedback in this thread. This statement (above) got my wheels turning about your original post. It seems to contradict it.

Your original post is a very grand undertaking. It is an attempt to boil down a highly complex set of variables, from two sources (player and target) into a single, simple Go / No-Go number (or stoplight chart). Any explanation of how that number/rating is achieved will cause most players to quickly tune out, they will not understand. The number will be constrained to whatever scenario/build is used, how the various aspects are weighted to the player's odds of success, and qualified by the stats/skills of the player. This will limit the usefulness of the rating significantly. Player A may have an easier time, than Player B, versus the same monster, simply because of their character builds. The number will be unable to represent intangible factors such as: 1) Player skill and tactics (e.g it is easy to kill an Arctic Ogre Lord with a cheap Ogre Slayer Spellbook and the 3rd Circle Fireball spell, just keep your distance); 2) Location of the target (e.g. any additional spawn in the area). This endeavor can quickly and easily become even more complicated than the original post eludes to, and produce a very meaningless result.

To this end you have to take a step back and re-evaluate the goal of the project. Try to focus on the "problem" and not the "solution". The original post goes right into the execution of a solution.
  • What information are you trying to convey?
  • Who is your target audience?
  • What will the information be used for?
  • Why is this needed?
To me, it sounds like you want to:
Create an easy to understand rating to identify the difficulty of a foe to a new player, in order to ease the learning curve of the game.

As other posters have suggested, there is an in-game system which provides the difficulty rating of a foe, the Barding Difficulty (http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/bardingdifficulty.php). I suggest using the Barding Difficulty, simply as it is, without qualifying it against the player's stats/skills. This will result in a number which indicates how difficult the monster is compared to other monsters. If the number is adjusted for the player's stats/skills it can become a crutch and eliminate intangible elements of the UO learning curve. I suggest using the same scale of 0-160 as the Barding Difficulty, so that the player does not need to learn a new system and will be more familiar with the Barding Difficulty when they want to explore using bard skills. Most 0-10 scales are arbitrary, there is no law/reason that it cannot be 0-160. As far as determining which monsters correspond to which levels of the stoplight (red/yellow/green), you can use the Hunter's Guide Advanced Search (http://uo.stratics.com/database/search.php?db_content=hunters) to search on Barding Difficulty. I suggest you explore the monsters at several values of Barding Difficulty and solicit feedback as to which are red/yellow/green. One thing to keep in mind, there will be alot of "red" for a new player.
yes the barding difficulty it may be a useful factor, but if I consider the current equipment I think there could be a way to tell that a monster is an easy kill if you have the right slayer :p

Stop dumbing down the game. Work on the UI, not giving away all the hard earned info that is at the heart of what makes UO fun... you're basically trying to steal the exploration factor from a new player. Part of the fun is seeing a gargoyle and thinking, "I CAN TAKE IT!" and running in guns blazing with a newbie sword and a few bandaids. Then realizing, OH HELL, it just poisoned me and used some fire spell on me, RUN HALF LIFE! ;) Stop dumbing down the game. Don't copy other 3d games. This is UO. Not Evercrap. INNOVATE. How about opening up UO (it is old) and giving the player community some tools to help the dev team innovate? I know a LOT of people in the community that would dive in headfirst (free of charge) for the opportunity to help make UO better than any dev has in the last 10+ years... Just go look at any freeshard for examples. I see better ideas on some of them than I've ever seen in pay UO.
It's not so simple, not everyone likes that... and that's why I have to add features that conciliate everyone. Remember that what for you is funny, for others may be frustrating, and that's why toggles do exist :D

By the way Pinco, I know you put a lot of work into the 3d ui. I've tried it myself. Nice work, I wasn't disparaging that at all. ;) If you need to help getting imbuing scores to match more closely, I'm sure I could help you. ;)
That would be interesting...

Anyway, you see? you like to get the imbuing scores, others may want to be surprised with that like you want to be surprised on monsters strength :D

You never played WoW at all, did you? You ever try doing a Heroic dungeon or Raid with people who didn't research the boss mechanics at all? Those people dropped like flies, and they could get the entire group wiped because of their lack of knowledge. The people who were too lazy to look up a boss mechanic on WoWHead or a "How To" on YouTube, were also too lazy to look at an in-game Dungeon Journal that listed the boss mechanics. They were collectively known as "baddies".
yes, but at least you have a dungeon journal that tells you something and you're not forced to search on the internet. If the game provides you the info, shame on you that you didn't read it. If the game doesn't provide any info at all, you have all the rights to complain.
I don't know where you live, but over here there are many people that pays the internet connection per MB consumed (with a monthly cap, if you get over that cap your speed is reduced by 3/4), so the more MB you spend watching videos, and reading web pages, the less you have for playing, and when you finish the MB, you have to wait for the next month for playing again...

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For pets there is already the pet power calculator inside the animal lore of my UI :D
Yes, I know about your lore UI. However it still doesn't tell the tamer enough to make a properly informed decision about which pet is best. It's just another thing to explain about before I can explain how to select a good pet. Which wasn't even complicated in the first place ;)
Nonsense. It just means it's a more complex game than Candy Crush. Didn't you ever play games with manuals explaining the controls and how different things worked? Websites have just replaced that and added further information that is going to help them play complex games like UO. I've never played an MMO that didn't have an official website with information and fan sites with guides. And forums. If you are going to get the best out of games like UO then you need to do some reading and learning. There is no way around that. Just relying on the game and Pincos would result in a lot of confused newbies. You might think you can put a rating system into a game and that it's enough for them to play the game, but the player still needs to learn what's behind those ratings to get the most out the game. They will still have related questions even if you think they shouldn't. And your UI will never answer everything unless you build in an encyclopaedia (which is cheating...). Sooner or later they will need to use the internet and it's better that they know of those resources early on as I did. Having that website to refer to gives you confidence that you can solve your own problems. A bunch of number ratings on a screen will never replace Stratics.
And let's not mistake the new default UI with what I'm planning for my UI, because those are 2 separate things :p
Ok, so the UI won't be totally loaded out with other stuff, and hopefully it's still customisable to do some mods of our own if necessary. We'll basically just be moving on a bit from the current situation - those who use the default client have some as-yet-undisclosed features, but they may still end up installing the full Pincos on top.

Wenchy

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never played WoW myself, but I presume most are familiar with "Leeeeroy Jenkins!"

I'm surely not the only one who appreciates the information available from Stratics, and in particular UO Guide (to which I've returned the favor and contributed myself). I'd rather be prepared and thus maximize my fun by reading the knowledge players have contributed, rather than waiting to encounter something in the game (which may be an extreme resist anyway versus a typical range). When a friend came back to UO after several years, it sounded strange to carry an assortment of slayers with different elemental damage, but it works and has added variety.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. I quit wow a few years ago so wasnt sure if it had changed.
In wow (still one of the most popular mmorpgs out there) if you relied on the in game system you straight out sucked. Those were usually the people doing horrible dps or healing, and who either learned to ignore the in game system and think for yourself or got kicked out of the guild. (i was in top tier raiding guild at the time)

Sometimes a blue was better than an epic. sometimes something with a lower gear rating was actually better than a higher gear rating. And wow was a relatively cookie cutter game. Spent hours on Shadowpanther.net optimizing my rogue, you werent allowed in the raid if you hadnt watched the video if the content was very difficult.

Point is, any game to be the best your going to have to not rely on any in game system. if you do you fail at the game.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never played WoW myself, but I presume most are familiar with "Leeeeroy Jenkins!"

I'm surely not the only one who appreciates the information available from Stratics, and in particular UO Guide (to which I've returned the favor and contributed myself). I'd rather be prepared and thus maximize my fun by reading the knowledge players have contributed, rather than waiting to encounter something in the game (which may be an extreme resist anyway versus a typical range). When a friend came back to UO after several years, it sounded strange to carry an assortment of slayers with different elemental damage, but it works and has added variety.
Pinco wants to make a button tho to auto equip exactly which slayer, which elemental damage to use. i just dont agree with that.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pinco wants to make a button tho to auto equip exactly which slayer, which elemental damage to use. i just dont agree with that.
no, that already exist on my UI (and has been there for a LOOONG time now...), I just want a system that tells the player if they can handle the monster in their current state or not :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, that already exist on my UI (and has been there for a LOOONG time now...), I just want a system that tells the player if they can handle the monster in their current state or not :p
yeah, and it shouldnt. a player should at least learn how to identifies slayers if they plan on playing the game. i dont believe the "lazy players need accommodation" argument for 1 second. thats just nonsense.

I started UO with 4 other real life friends.
Out of those 4 two would come back to UO, but not as it is now.
1 plays on a free server because its more like the UO he remembered from the start
Im sure everyone has friends like this.
More and more changes like this will most likely be what eventually leads me to also quit.
Keep in mind that for every "enhancement" that will supposedly draw people in, it will also discourage others from coming back, in addition to contributing to current players leaving the game.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm planning another feature for my UI rework, and this one will require a lot of math.

Basically I'm trying to do a new system to help the player (especially new ones) to determine if they can handle an enemy.
For example, if you see an ettin with this system active, you should be able to immediately know if you can handle the fight against him or not.

The main idea is to use a number from 1 to 10 near the creature name (like inside a circle), and if this number is equal to 1 it means that you can beat the creature without problems, if it's 10, the creature is too powerful for you and you may need help. This number could use some color too, like from green to red.

Anyway, the point of this post is to use your help to create a solid formula to generates that number.
Possibly it would be great to make this formula to work on pvp too, so that everyone can determine if you are attacking a newbie worker or a veteran player.

In order to work for any kind of build we have to account the following variables:

1) hit chance player vs opponent: 0-100%

2) hit chance opponent vs player: 0-100%

3) player magic skills level: an higher level means that you can use summons like vortex/colossus and cause more damage

4) player damage vs opponent resistances

5) player resistances vs opponent damage

6) player's pets: based on the slot number and the animal lore evaluation.

7) bard skill success vs opponent: if you can discord/pacify or use a bard spell, the difficulty will be lower.

8) healing factor

Since I don't have much time to work on this, right now I'd like to hear some ideas, comments or whatever you have to say about this topic.

Thanks
Honestly the system you propose seems like far too much work for the end result. An easier solution would be to just rank monsters regardless of the players stats, and let people judge for themselves if they can handle a 4 or a 5 based on past experience. Same general effect, but the only work required is ranking the monsters, which could be done by the community if need be. More subjective yes, but I think the result would be similar.

I think it's a perfectly fine idea as well. New players have a really steep learning curve, heck even people who played for 7 years and have been away 7 years have a steep learning curve. Every little bit helps.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind that for every "enhancement" that will supposedly draw people in, it will also discourage others from coming back, in addition to contributing to current players leaving the game.
Well, that's really always the case no matter what you do isn't it? Can't please everyone.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't think it should be allowed to add this, sound like cheating to me and will hurt the game. I hope Devs have to say yes first before stuff like this are made legal

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it should be allowed to add this, sound like cheating to me and will hurt the game. I hope Devs have to say yes first before stuff like this are made legal
if this is illegal, let's just shut down stratics and uoguide and let's go back to stone age... ignorance it's a bliss right? :D

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just feel it's like everything is legal in EC but in CC, people call you a cheater, just for using UORudder, a tools, that don't do anything you can't do with UO macros in CC already.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if this is illegal, let's just shut down stratics and uoguide and let's go back to stone age... ignorance it's a bliss right? :D
researching your information before a test isnt cheating

having access to all the information During the test is usually considered cheating.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes the barding difficulty it may be a useful factor, but if I consider the current equipment I think there could be a way to tell that a monster is an easy kill if you have the right slayer :p
A slayer weapon will not make the monster an easy kill. It will let you do more damage, making it easier (quicker) to kill. There is a significant difference int these two statements. An Arctic Ogre Lord is easy to kill with fireballs with and without a slayer spellbook, using a slayer will simply make it faster.

Perhaps you could simply identify/suggest the two slayers to use against the monster (the specific and the super) and indicate which slayers to not use (their opposing slayer group). You can find the list of slayer vulnerabilities here: http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/slayerweapons.php.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go Ahead, I have already looked up the best Reforging prefixes and material to use for my club. :bdh:;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A slayer weapon will not make the monster an easy kill. It will let you do more damage, making it easier (quicker) to kill. There is a significant difference int these two statements. An Arctic Ogre Lord is easy to kill with fireballs with and without a slayer spellbook, using a slayer will simply make it faster.

Perhaps you could simply identify/suggest the two slayers to use against the monster (the specific and the super) and indicate which slayers to not use (their opposing slayer group). You can find the list of slayer vulnerabilities here: http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/slayerweapons.php.
would also have to consider weapon specials. some monsters are near impossible with most weapons, but an easy kill with a special move like feint.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some of you are crazy. Every MMO has a way to tell you if the mob your are looking at is gonna wtfpwn you.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of you are crazy. Every MMO has a way to tell you if the mob your are looking at is gonna wtfpwn you.
agreed. i think most would embrace a simple system that rates a monsters difficulty (including myself). What most oppose is a complex calculation that may or may not be acutally even accurate that attempts to take into effect all skills and items on your character.

while it might be possible, i dont see it as a good use of time. it would have to take into consideration everything from weapons specials, to simple things like potions / stats, to more complex things like that some skills are useless until 98, but game changing at 99 and go thru each of those skills and active abilities individually.

For UO, i think simple is best. look at all the failed systems that no one uses because it not worth it.

First thing you teach a noob shouldnt be "oh yeah, the rating system, ignore that its not really accurate"

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a couple of tools that perform this function in the back pack already. And how does one determine the viability of say a pet or a summons against another critter?

I'm not against it, per say. Lotro has a similar function for both quests and creatures, and it can be very useful when starting out. My question then becomes, are you planning to have this feature as a default on, but with a toggle to turn it off?

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, so I see that my question about a toggle has, at least, already been asked.

Maybe it would be more in keeping with the spirit of the game if, when you right click on an opponent that is way beyond the scale of your abilities, a counselor would *poof* to your location riding a coconut yelling, "Run Away!" Or something like that.