• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another dupe strikes UO?

• Thread starter imported_ImaNoobieToo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_ImaNoobieToo

I got an ICQ from someone offering to sell gold for $.70 per million gold saying any shard any quantity... considering at the time most gold from sellers was around $2 to $1.80 per million and in the last 2-3 weeks its gone from $2 to $1.00 per mil I smell another dupe.

A little info query from the people on my ICQ has returned a few messages back saying "there has been another HUGE dupe reported".

J

jagarr

my broker friends have been icqing me huge lists of true rares and EM items to sell.

my guess is the few accounts that were dormant during the bans storing items have been reactivated and are now being liquidated because we can't really sell anything anymore ('we' being brokers). the playerbase has shrunk down past the point of worthwhile profit for brokers in UO.

D

Daren Athlorn

I was told there was one, but apparently there's a change in this publish that fixes it? Which may explain why they are selling off stuff now.

No source or evidence though, just hearsay and rumors, but that's what I was told.

The most likely explanation and most plausible one is what the poster above said though, just dupers who had stocks left over selling off tons of stuff from the accounts that escaped banning. Keep in mind if they missed a single account, there could be thousands of those items.

G

Sounds like people frantically trying to get rid of everything they have while still making a profit because they don't want to be caught like the previous dupe line. My guess is someone found something in the new publish that proves painful to them.. and that wether they try to dump it or not they're prolly gonna get banned.

Want to prove my point? Don't buy anything high-end until the publish hits all shards. Just a hunch.

G

*nods*
There are large quantities being fenced off right now.
I'd use caution buying anything. The last time something like this went down a lot of gold was flat out deleted.

S

Sorcon Gartius

There has to be one... All those w/ the big rares and items are suddenly selling massive quantities of some things...I've been thinking something was up for a while now.

I

imported_Cysphruo

has more to do with recent changes and not future changes, nobodys buying anything and tons have quit while some have come back, gold isnt selling and theres too many brokers(dupers) with too many items, people make a living selling stuff and if they cant sell it they can only offer deals to continue making a living, hence the drop in gold and new people selling bulk rares they bought at a discount rate to resell.

C

Connor_Graham

Just about every shard trade forum has gold now for 1.25 or less.

You happen to have one yourself for .90/mil

Just sayin.....

G

*wonders if there will be more effigies appearing*

(I'd better check my supply of torches and pitchforks)

G

A bad thing for us honest players is that any million gold checks we get from selling stuff could be duped.

Dupers and cheaters just suck obviously. I'm not saying all selling gold are cheaters, it's just that the bad ones always make the rest look bad

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

my guess is the few accounts that were dormant during the bans storing items have been reactivated and are now being liquidated because we can't really sell anything anymore ('we' being brokers). the playerbase has shrunk down past the point of worthwhile profit for brokers in UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, GTFO. Maybe there won't be as much scripting and duping when there aren't as many people trying to make an IRL buck off of UO stuff. Yeah, yeah, you don't know anything about any of that. None of you ever do. Every trader is honest, right up until his Luna house blows up.

G

Just the other day I got an ICQ from someone I didn't know trying to sell me vinecords for real cheap so my guess would be that they were old inactive accounts holding previously dupped items.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
* imagines all the people who own vine cords logging on one day wearing crap brown monks sandles....and the sounds of a million voices rang out in anger...and in the next moment were silenced......*

I

imported_Suzzy

<blockquote><hr>

has more to do with recent changes and not future changes, nobodys buying anything and tons have quit while some have come back, gold isnt selling and theres too many brokers(dupers) with too many items, people make a living selling stuff and if they cant sell it they can only offer deals to continue making a living, hence the drop in gold and new people selling bulk rares they bought at a discount rate to resell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is similar to an explanation I gave a friend a day or two ago on why I think gold prices were dropping. Most of the "new dupe!" rumors spread because of gold price drops. Purely speculation, and nothing more, but the more people talk about it the more momentum it picks up and people think it's true.

If you take into account that it no longer costs 40 mil for an orny(more like 8-9 mil if you look hard enough) and that the runic changes made stuff a lot cheaper and easier to get(BODs, etc), gold is just not as high in demand as it used to be. Less demand, means cheaper prices. Simple economics really. UO progressively loses subs on a daily basis, coupled with the lower price of in game items, gold price drops are inevitable for those who make a living off this game.

A point to ponder even further would be that perhaps the US being in a recession may be affecting people's spending habits. Why spend money on UO gold when you can barely fill up your car with gas, or buy bread on a regular basis. I just have a feeling that people are just not buying it as much currently for numerous reasons.

I

imported_lord richard

I'm replying to you on my newly installed Linux Ubuntu oS...so I may make some sense(flashes back to the ComCast Digital Phone Service Commercials)...Hey, if gold is so easy to dupe, why hasn't a stupid a$$ like me been able to figure it out before now...Ill sell you all my gold for um, like $50 U.S. currency, since it takes me a week at least to dupe it out of the earth elementals....

So since the osi really don't care whether we dupe, will someone PM me so I can get in on the bandwagon with all the rest of us guys..thx in advance.
?

I

imported_ImaNoobieToo

The source of the sudden influx of items is the same as the previous big dupe. IMO that means the items are also duped but I can't be certain if the items are from a new dupe or leftovers from the other one.

G

If trial-account houses have been used as storage, I suppose the housing changes could be forcing someone to liquidate stockpiles or start paying?

(but in either case, I hope the middle-men are asking a *lot* of questions of their sources ... guilt by association and all)

I

imported_ImaNoobieToo

I am nearly certain the sellers are the same ones banned during the last dupes... Get an account worth maybe $1000-$2000 banned? OMG no? Whats $2000 compared to $100,000 profit in a short time? All they have to do is be able to sell the stuff as fast as possible and the current price drops show that is exactly what they are doing.

This has been going on for a few months I believe just FYI... Only hard core the last few weeks tho.

G

"I love the smell of [sulph ash] in the morning. Smells like...victory."
~Col Kurtz~

*eagerly looks forward to seeing more burning houses &amp; effigies*

I

imported_feath

<blockquote><hr>

I am nearly certain the sellers are the same ones banned during the last dupes... Get an account worth maybe $1000-$2000 banned? OMG no? Whats $2000 compared to $100,000 profit in a short time? All they have to do is be able to sell the stuff as fast as possible and the current price drops show that is exactly what they are doing.

This has been going on for a few months I believe just FYI... Only hard core the last few weeks tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, agreed - and add this mix to what i just posted...