• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anniv Gifts on TC1

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You think they'll EVER get it? We hammer them every single time for awhile now and these art problems just keeps coming back. Maybe they're mad at us and do it on purpose? lol. I've have zero art training but I get that doesn't look right. I just don't get why this keeps happening....
It's clearly part of the art guide lines or wtf ever they use over there. A chain of 10 years worth of artists would not all use this clearly out of place perspective unless they were told to. Someone along the line made a decision, either that person is still in charge, or the official rules set down were never changed. I don't know what the artist situation is for UO atm honestly, so its hard to say.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you don't like this or that, just art in general, the circle at the top of the vase doesn't match the angle of the vase. It really makes one wonder what the hell? lol I'm baffled...
Hey it's been confusing me for literally over a decade heh.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooh well, I'm not huge on deco anyways, just give me a great gameplay

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I mean in the end it's not a huge deal, but like I said I tried to do video game art once, and I hate seeing it done worse than I could do it because that's just sad. :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, I mean in the end it's not a huge deal, but like I said I tried to do video game art once, and I hate seeing it done worse than I could do it because that's just sad. :p
Well resources are limited and now when we do finally get something it's unusable. It's just kinda pathetic lol Well I'm pretty sure I like the plate, lol, and the bag! The bag is nice!

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So true and it's why I hate most of the planters they gave us in the tickets... It's also why I hate the Silver Sapling... And 100 other newer items in the game... it just looks BAD and is not consistent with the old art style and perspective. I REALLY wish they would quit doing that! The only way to use some of it is to cover the top up with a big plant but that too looks silly.
but you can do cool things with planters like this:
upload_2015-9-1_10-18-12.png

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'm surprised (and pleased) that the devs gave us anniversary gifts. thank you! for a while there i was thinking our anniversary gift would be the expansion.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL yes you are correct.

Here is something that CatHat sent me LONG ago regarding perspective in UO back in 2011...
View attachment 35781
View attachment 35782
The real issue here is that it is the floors aspect ratio that is out of place... With the rest of the viewing angle of UO. Adding art to match the floors aspect ratio is why it looks so out of place. We do not look straight down at anything in UO... !

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well it's on test center, right? So they wanted some feedback to fix any problems? So now they'll probably touch them up. Right? Anyone? Anyone buying that? :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The moondials do turn. I had several different angles, but now they're locked down they're all showing the same, plus when you double click them you get the time.

I decided to make a vase that matched my house front:

tall-vase-red.jpg

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The moondials do turn. I had several different angles, but now they're locked down they're all showing the same, plus when you double click them you get the time.

View attachment 35789
Hmm... seeing that, I think the detailing on the vase should be at a different angle too, pointing south instead of southeast. It will probably look best in a northwest corner as is.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Vases.jpg Dyable.jpg

The new 18th anniversary vases are nice. They are dyeable aswell :)
I do not like that they retain the name of the stone used to make them though. Would rather it just say vase or 18th anniversary vase.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The pictures here look nice. Ty team. You only get on TC if you copied a character over? My TC newbies got no toys. :(
I think the char need to be 30 days old, I had an old char there, who got a gift but my new chars did not. Copied chars are old too

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 35789

!! Saw your house, so ty! Could you lock the bag down too? The dial would make a pretty neat table, I think.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The most important question... will they be worth any turn in points the day we get them? :p

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL yes you are correct. Here is something that CatHat sent me LONG ago regarding perspective in UO back in 2011...
Thank you for sharing this Larisa. I had heard this explanation somewhere, but had forgotten where. I also couldn't remember the details of the explanation, just the general point of perspectives being different. (Now I have a saved copy!)

Last edited:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes i like the plates (in theory anyway, gotta see them placed). Sundials I probably won't use like people are saying with the perspective. Didn't use the plants from last time either. Or the four foot coffee pot from before that... lol. Anyway lets see the new vases! I just gotta see the perspective lol
So I picked up like 20 of those 4 foot suckers from the ground when they came out. I had this idea I could build a really cool entrance way with stacking them somehow!!! Still haven't.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't really care for the moon dial art..... I think this could have been better. The plates/vases look fine. Maybe the artwork update will make them look better when it comes out

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My request would be like the 15th anniversary robe with the name changed and slightly different look so it's not a copy.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I still want a despise snowglobe. :sad3:
...or for the Tokuno shrines, the Royal City, the other newer cities/dungeons/etc... I'd be happy if they just did a "catchup" at Christmas, to fill in and bring up to date those old sets that had or now have missing bits, like these. :)

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
...or for the Tokuno shrines, the Royal City, the other newer cities/dungeons/etc... I'd be happy if they just did a "catchup" at Christmas, to fill in and bring up to date those old sets that had or now have missing bits, like these. :)
@Mesanna has said she's open to hearing ideas for gifts and I think this is a great one! Nothing fancy, easy to code and would make all of us snow globe collectors very happy. They could even add Eodon and a rare Shadowguard globe! :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well now everyone knows what they are I wonder when they'll actually release them?
Maybe this gifts are not the real ones, the vases could only be there for testing, so one other item will replace the recipe at the release.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe this gifts are not the real ones, the vases could only be there for testing, so one other item will replace the recipe at the release.
I think not. The stonecraft menu has the message about reading the recipe, and there has been a 'gift recipe' before, gingerbread.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think not. The stonecraft menu has the message about reading the recipe, and there has been a 'gift recipe' before, gingerbread.
Yes but maybe they are teasing us, but time will show

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually I for one am EXTREMELY happy that they chose to give us a recipe instead of each of us getting one vase! I think it's awesome.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got plates of "Juo'nar the Lich occupies Trinsic" and "The Avatar Shatters the Gem of Immortality".

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for giving us gifts. I personally like the rp nature behind the plates although the UO symbol blows immersion a bit. The sundial perspective is a bit off, but the idea of giving a recipe is wonderful for the vases. I also liked the fact they can be made with ore colors and dyed... it helps allow each home owner to make it more special for their house.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's another saying:
18th.jpg

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly UO art is a lost art.

But im happy with all the new pub details.

Quite a huge publish and look forward to playing around with templates and stuff.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Clearly UO art is a lost art..
not really. do a quick google for "isometric art" and see all the wonderful things that can be done with pixels - you might be amazed.

*edit* sorry, that is a different perspective... i mean oblique, not isometric (although a person skilled in both would be an awesome asset to the UO dev team, in my opinion anyhoo)

Last edited:

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Oh, found this (funny, having similar conversation with a pixel artist for some custom work on a website - which we are using the 60/30 isometric view):

I remember a conversation some time ago about perspective and that the UO's art/map is more similar to the Military perspective as it uses a 45-degree angle on two side of the object being drawn - also called Plan Oblique - as in for 3D-ish display of building plans (for you architeches and autocad users out there). So technically, the full circle view is accurate for the perspective used. The things you learn in graphic design. ^.^

What I will add is that the foreshortening, shading and texturing of the art is off and what makes it seem all funky to us whenever new items are released. Without the foreshortening, it looks like we are seeing things straight on and our brains go, "huh?!" However this is limited by the amount of pixels they can use - so I can see the dilemma. There was a project many years ago where someone had redone the perspectives and a whole lot of art for UO that actually made sense. Am hard pressed to find that again - but I remember it very well.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like this plates too as they are telling pieces of UO history