• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

and when it does.......

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's too late for that. How many players would a shift to f2p or b2p bring?
The client is out of date and people laugh when they see the game. They wouldn't touch it with 10ft pole.
It would bring a ton of people, on that I would be willing to bet any amount. It doesn't matter if it's outdated. People are bored, looking for something to do for a night, don't want to buy a 30 dollar game with monthly 14 dollar subs. Now give that game a free option, stick it on steam... many bored people will give it a whirl just to kill an evening, and many of those people will end up thinking its a cool game. That's just how f2p works, that's the entire point.

There are many games with far worse graphics and far worse gameplay than UO that have 10x the players.... why? No entry barrier, no other reason.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think you all are insane.... it would kill what crappy economy we have.... completely..... there will be a FLOOD of BOTS and other scammers, and crap out to make a buck and get rich quick....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would quite possibly be the most limited F2P model I've seen. **** that. It's like you guys don't want new players.
I think the idea is to show them the game, but limit them enough that they want to become subscribers. Plus I honestly don't think it's that limited. It's basically just UO when it launched, 100 max skills 700 max cap, basic ore/wood, only fel... that's just 98 UO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you all are insane.... it would kill what crappy economy we have.... completely..... there will be a FLOOD of BOTS and other scammers, and crap out to make a buck and get rich quick....
Get rich quick on a game where gold is like 10 cents per million? I don't see it. If I had to guess I would say the ratio of bad players coming in with f2p would be the same as the ratio of bad players we have now. Many would just want to play the game.

Besides I think f2p is a scenario used when the game is otherwise dead, which is a scenario that can't be that far off.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the idea is to show them the game, but limit them enough that they want to become subscribers. Plus I honestly don't think it's that limited. It's basically just UO when it launched, 100 max skills 700 max cap, basic ore/wood, only fel... that's just 98 UO.
So it's basically not modern UO at all. Okaaaaaay. I know there needs to be limits but those are terrible.

And about F2P wrecking the economy with bots, maybe try, oh, I don't know, BANNING?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Get rich quick on a game where gold is like 10 cents per million? I don't see it. If I had to guess I would say the ratio of bad players coming in with f2p would be the same as the ratio of bad players we have now. Many would just want to play the game.

Besides I think f2p is a scenario used when the game is otherwise dead, which is a scenario that can't be that far off.
NO the economy is already circling the drain... adding in F2P when we already have 24/7 bots that are never stopped from scripting resources including gold ..... I can already picture the 400 more at it 24/7 because now it's FREE to do ..... just link to a paying house account and you can have resources all day long.... it would be HORRIBLE for the game....

Unless they are restricted to a special shard my vote is a MAJOR NO ......

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just do away with the 15 day time limit on trial accounts, problem solved.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for example...I love to make weapons and suits but depise gathering resources and doing bods for runics

so I buy my resources. I dont have shard shields to travel around and shop, so I buy them from a third party....does that make me the anti christ???

Does that make me less of a real player??

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So it's basically not modern UO at all. Okaaaaaay. I know there needs to be limits but those are terrible.

And about F2P wrecking the economy with bots, maybe try, oh, I don't know, BANNING?
You got a mouth on you eh boy? Let's hear your ideas then if this is so terrible...

The model I described is supposed to entice people to pay for a subscription by luring them in and restricting things they think they really need to enjoy the game even more. If you think you can offer the full game F2P and have it survive off store type purchases like some of the other F2P models do you're kidding yourself.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think GW2 has a pretty good system for a free to play model. You buy gems with real money, which can be used in the game store to buy gold or armor skins/weapons skins/various items. They do a pretty good job of making anything in the store not be game breaking. You can buy the gems for in game gold only if someone is wanting to buy gold with gems. So no gold is artificially introduced. I'm not sure the exact logistics, but I can say it worked at least fairly well from what I saw.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think GW2 has a pretty good system for a free to play model. You buy gems with real money, which can be used in the game store to buy gold or armor skins/weapons skins/various items. They do a pretty good job of making anything in the store not be game breaking. You can buy the gems for in game gold only if someone is wanting to buy gold with gems. So no gold is artificially introduced. I'm not sure the exact logistics, but I can say it worked at least fairly well from what I saw.
It does work.

Now the Free to Play model GW2 has to offer those accounts are allowed to buy gem cards to get gold but cant trade gold in the game to get gems. Regular accounts you can do both since you only buy the game once and has no subscription.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well we know something works at ArenaNet when they have 350 devs focus on the game with no subscription, item store that is just for aesthetics purposes only and upgrades, and has a Play for Free model ( Not F2P which some would think are the same) for players who have not bought the game.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You got a mouth on you eh boy? Let's hear your ideas then if this is so terrible...

The model I described is supposed to entice people to pay for a subscription by luring them in and restricting things they think they really need to enjoy the game even more. If you think you can offer the full game F2P and have it survive off store type purchases like some of the other F2P models do you're kidding yourself.
I posted my thoughts already.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have heard mind you..... never.
Where I did this listening is reputable in its information.... non UO source with no interest any way shape or form.
The scuttle is bean counters and legal both wrapped their noodles together. With a biased eye to begin with EA brass didn't like the analysis they worked out. This was NOT for UO..... but it will effect the question of if UO ever will.
Look they are not even considering Stream and they are the last word on it....and its safe!

Give it up guys... EA as long as its holding the purse strings will never allow it.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So, does EA still own rights to UO? I thought Broadsword bought UO and DaoC outright? or are they just the company in charge of maintenance at the moment?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA still owns it. BS is basically contracted to keep running it.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have heard mind you..... never.
Where I did this listening is reputable in its information.... non UO source with no interest any way shape or form.
The scuttle is bean counters and legal both wrapped their noodles together. With a biased eye to begin with EA brass didn't like the analysis they worked out. This was NOT for UO..... but it will effect the question of if UO ever will.
Look they are not even considering Stream and they are the last word on it....and its safe!

Give it up guys... EA as long as its holding the purse strings will never allow it.

Yeah I have to agree they are not considering Stream as you said it . Never heard of it but I have heard of Steam.

The rest of what you said I hardly believe. Nobody talks about UO at EA. They have bigger F2P games that bring in more revenue that they talk about.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Personally I think just the sale of gold itself could generate $1000.00s a week.
Free to play shouldn't automatically mean Pay to Win.

Granted there is already a margin in which this exists, however that doesn't mean the devs should jump on board and legitimize the sale of gold, especially when it'd be an electronic currency that THEY magically generated into their game for a profit... Something about special taxes there and whatnot outside of the scope of micro-transactions, or cyber currency stuffs.

Now then something that they could do to generate income, which they already do is micro-transaction, eg: the sale of tokens, codes etc. Another idea would be to take the route of most other sub based games such as Square Enix's sub based game FFXIV:ARR, where you are awarded the veterancy status to which you've paid for. If you pay for two years of gametime, then you unlock the rewards of a two year veteran. That ofcourse has it's problems in regards to people who have continued to pay for their account age and their more than likely automatic reaction of how they deserve more, but can be met with the idea that hey, things change and at the end of the day, they have technically paid just as much per as anyone else with an account aged the same (not taking into consideration the discounted gametime for greater lengths purchased. 1/3/6/12 months price dif per month cost). And if that wasn't enough there could be limitations set into place where those who choose to boost their new accounts to the maximum age range by paying for (and take this number with a grain of salt, and monitor your sodium levels too, because it's just an example) 20 years of gametime or roughly 3 grand, receive a reduced amount of rewards per year of veterancy. Or for those who would cry out "gimmie gimmie gimmie, what do I get at no additional cost and only because something is changing?!" maybe gift legacy veteran accounts with an additional reward.

I dunno tho, purely speculation and hypothetical dribble.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just do away with the 15 day time limit on trial accounts, problem solved.
I'm fine with that too honestly, though ideally I would put some other limitations on it, as the idea is to encourage people to sub.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO the economy is already circling the drain... adding in F2P when we already have 24/7 bots that are never stopped from scripting resources including gold ..... I can already picture the 400 more at it 24/7 because now it's FREE to do ..... just link to a paying house account and you can have resources all day long.... it would be HORRIBLE for the game....

Unless they are restricted to a special shard my vote is a MAJOR NO ......
I personally think your fears are overblown, if for no other reason there are only so many spots to farm, though I would put a resource limitation on free accounts. I'd also note that you fears about inflation (which really doesn't effect anything) would be the same if 10,000 paid accounts all signed up tomorrow, and I have a feeling you wouldn't be against that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't see what's so terrible about those restrictions. You act like the game would be unplayable.

Agree on the banning. It would be nice if players had a way to alert GM's to obvious cheating, and more over for GM's to actually do something.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't see what's so terrible about those restrictions. You act like the game would be unplayable.

Agree on the banning. It would be nice if players had a way to alert GM's to obvious cheating, and more over for GM's to actually do something.
Completely agree.

Mesannas policy on handling cheating now is a joke.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not her policy....its EA legal department.
They have specific guidelines to follow....
Evidence is not as easy to get unless you get it as its being done.
There are the exceptions...like rare 1 of a kind items or limited things in numbers so low you can count them on your fingers.
I myself spotted what was clearly an item of value from hunting that by all the evidence was duped the hell out of... but because it all was deeded she couldn't even remove the obvious handiwork from the game... because she had not one shred of solid proof.... even though it would have taken over 10 years of hunting to get so much of it!
I wont say how the cheater's are beating the system but I do know even faced with absolute evidence of its being done, without solid proof her hands are tied.
Proof comes in many forms and the cheaters use the systems built into UO to cover their tracks very well.

*Steam was what I thought I typed... not stream Zosimus and it was not about UO as I said but covered that grey area...
(I blame my fingers on this one)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not her policy....its EA legal department.
They have specific guidelines to follow....
What are you basing this on? Games ban people alllllllll the time, there's no legal question. You sign the user agreement, they can kick you at any time, no legal question, and I see no reason EA would a) care about uo whatever, or b) make banning cheaters any harder than any other game company.

I feel like, while EA deserves a lot of criticism, it gets blamed for everything under the sun around here.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What are you basing this on? Games ban people alllllllll the time, there's no legal question. You sign the user agreement, they can kick you at any time, no legal question, and I see no reason EA would a) care about uo whatever, or b) make banning cheaters any harder than any other game company.

I feel like, while EA deserves a lot of criticism, it gets blamed for everything under the sun around here.
EA caused global climate change.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No F2P player is going to enjoy the game if they're stuck in Fel with no more than GM skills. The idea is to make them enjoy the game enough to pay, not piss them off enough to quit.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uvtha you make it sound like she can walk up to any player and go poof your banned... it don't work that way.
Hypothetical...
Lets say you spot a players vendor you know..
On it they have placed a ton of deeds for something you know for a fact there is no way any one much less a guild could have gathered so much of it...
Or in the past that pile of gold checks that covered a 18x18 to its max. cap storage.
She cant do nothing.
Even thought you and she know its all duped.
The items have been "laundered".
Mesanna has not a ounce of ground to stand on in a legal sense.
She bans them and here comes a law suit so big ....
so don't say it cant happen for your info it has in the past....
Cheaters have gotten way smarter to the ways of the system...
EA set the rules...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm fine with that too honestly, though ideally I would put some other limitations on it, as the idea is to encourage people to sub.
As far as I can tell these are the current restrictions and as far as I am concerned a few tweaks might be needed such as amount of gold a trial account can hold.

Trial Accounts

Trial accounts allow prospective new players to ‘sample’ the game for two weeks without cost, but with certain significant restrictions. Anyone can get a Free 14 day trial account here

Trial Account Restrictions:
  • Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
  • Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
  • Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
    • Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
  • Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions –
    • Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they’d otherwise qualify for better types
    • Will not receive sand or stone when mining
  • Trial Account Misc. restrictions –
    • Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
    • Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
    • Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
    • Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
    • Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
    • Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
    • Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
    • Cannot use Commodity Deeds
    • Cannot do Community Collections
    • Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
    • Cannot use Pet summoning balls
    • Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
    • Cannot use the Bag of Sending
    • Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
    • Cannot acquire BOD’s

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No F2P player is going to enjoy the game if they're stuck in Fel with no more than GM skills. The idea is to make them enjoy the game enough to pay, not piss them off enough to quit.
So I guess you want to give them everything and have no reason what so ever to pay a sub, that is stupid. There has to be reasons for F2P players wanting to sub and giving them everything gives them no reason. Trial Account restrictions are plenty to enjoy the game and determine if they want to sub or not.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I guess you want to give them everything and have no reason what so ever to pay a sub, that is stupid. There has to be reasons for F2P players wanting to sub and giving them everything gives them no reason. Trial Account restrictions are plenty to enjoy the game and determine if they want to sub or not.
You do realize there's a middle ground between everything and nothing, right?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah, it's called "Ender's Game" - we just don't tell him that's he's controlling actual people in an alternate universe - hehe

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
for example...I love to make weapons and suits but depise gathering resources and doing bods for runics

so I buy my resources. I dont have shard shields to travel around and shop, so I buy them from a third party....does that make me the anti christ???

Does that make me less of a real player??
Nope. A lot of us are in the same boat you are. At one time I would have never thought of doing that, but since they made it so scripters are the only ones who can play long enough to collect special ore and woods, I but also. Don't care it it's scripted or duped or whatever. Want me to mine my own ore? set the veins back like they were. I'll chop my own wood if you set if back like it was. I don't care diddly about working for an hour just hoping to stumble onto that "random" resource that I need.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you assume that?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are you claiming thats nothing? You can experience a lot, and certainly get a good idea of what the game is like.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uvtha you make it sound like she can walk up to any player and go poof your banned... it don't work that way.
Hypothetical...
Lets say you spot a players vendor you know..
On it they have placed a ton of deeds for something you know for a fact there is no way any one much less a guild could have gathered so much of it...
Or in the past that pile of gold checks that covered a 18x18 to its max. cap storage.
She cant do nothing.
Even thought you and she know its all duped.
The items have been "laundered".
Mesanna has not a ounce of ground to stand on in a legal sense.
She bans them and here comes a law suit so big ....
so don't say it cant happen for your info it has in the past....
Cheaters have gotten way smarter to the ways of the system...
EA set the rules...
Dude, they can ban you for any reason, at any time. Read the tos. They csan absolutly ban you on suspiscion of cheating, they don't need proof, and they cannot be sued.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well now that I've closed my account down again, that's 1.3 Billion gold gone from the game into long term storage :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can tell these are the current restrictions and as far as I am concerned a few tweaks might be needed such as amount of gold a trial account can hold.

Trial Accounts

Trial accounts allow prospective new players to ‘sample’ the game for two weeks without cost, but with certain significant restrictions. Anyone can get a Free 14 day trial account here

Trial Account Restrictions:
  • Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
  • Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
  • Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
    • Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
  • Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions –
    • Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they’d otherwise qualify for better types
    • Will not receive sand or stone when mining
  • Trial Account Misc. restrictions –
    • Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
    • Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
    • Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
    • Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
    • Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
    • Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
    • Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
    • Cannot use Commodity Deeds
    • Cannot do Community Collections
    • Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
    • Cannot use Pet summoning balls
    • Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
    • Cannot use the Bag of Sending
    • Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
    • Cannot acquire BOD’s
Ah very good, I didn't realize trial accounts were limited on resources. I never had one. :p

Yeah honestly I think that's a good basic set up.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sticking the new players in fel for the ashats to drive out of the game would be stupid. Put them in tram where they can play the game in color and have fun, instead of black & white surrounded by the pkers who would flock into fel to slaughter them on sight. The idea is to have new players stay, not leave the game in a couple hours swearing about the pkers.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you assume that?
Because if they choose a populated shard they're either never going to see anyone on account of it being Fel only, or are just gonna get slaughtered by the only people that go to Fel without even a chance of being able to fight back? Because they'll have basically no chance of making any gold, and even if they just farmed it for days on end they wouldn't be able to buy anything because they can't access any player vendors?

Sticking the new players in fel for the ashats to drive out of the game would be stupid. Put them in tram where they can play the game in color and have fun, instead of black & white surrounded by the pkers who would flock into fel to slaughter them on sight. The idea is to have new players stay, not leave the game in a couple hours swearing about the pkers.
Exactly.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because if they choose a populated shard they're either never going to see anyone on account of it being Fel only, or are just gonna get slaughtered by the only people that go to Fel without even a chance of being able to fight back? Because they'll have basically no chance of making any gold, and even if they just farmed it for days on end they wouldn't be able to buy anything because they can't access any player vendors?
They would see a lot of other new players, also limited to the same landmass, giving them excellent reason and opportunity to team up, make friends. I think they would make gold just fine, people made gold before tram, they got pked, life went on. Of course, again, the idea here is to give them incentive to sub.

I honestly don't want to limit them to fel (I would limit them to fel/tram only) but people who already play who are dedicated tram players are overestimating the horrors of fel. Some people would run around killing noobs for no reason, but many would see there was no point or profit in doing so, and wouldn't bother. On the other hand maybe it would inspire a few guilds to establish anti-pk forces like in the olden days. Player interaction and all that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a siege player you know very well that just because a ruleset ALLOWS pking doesn't mean everyone will be pked the second they step out of doors.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They would see a lot of other new players, also limited to the same landmass, giving them excellent reason and opportunity to team up, make friends. I think they would make gold just fine, people made gold before tram, they got pked, life went on. Of course, again, the idea here is to give them incentive to sub.

I honestly don't want to limit them to fel (I would limit them to fel/tram only) but people who already play who are dedicated tram players are overestimating the horrors of fel. Some people would run around killing noobs for no reason, but many would see there was no point or profit in doing so, and wouldn't bother. On the other hand maybe it would inspire a few guilds to establish anti-pk forces like in the olden days. Player interaction and all that.
They really wouldn't make any amount of gold relevant in today's UO. There's really nothing of any substance that they'd be able to do in Fel. Fel only, 100 skill cap will not give them an incentive to sub.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a siege player you know very well that just because a ruleset ALLOWS pking doesn't mean everyone will be pked the second they step out of doors.
We're talking fel here, not Siege. I played fel for years on Chessie after joining the game with UO:Ren. The fel crowds were complete ashats. The pkers of Siege are not ashats.

If the game goes Steam F2P with new players stuck in fel the pkers who nearly killed UO back pre tram will swarm back to rampage and kill everyone they can until all the new players are gone, then they will whine, say the game is no fun, and leave again.

Bleeping ashats ... so dumb they kill their own fun. :twak:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They really wouldn't make any amount of gold relevant in today's UO. There's really nothing of any substance that they'd be able to do in Fel. Fel only, 100 skill cap will not give them an incentive to sub.
Firstly, I disagree on both counts. You can find good items, items worth selling for fair, if not huge bit of cash anywhere. As for powerscrolls not being a lure... I don't see how you don't see that as something people would want. Everyone wants character progression, all the advanced templates are based on 120 skills, and much of the end game stuff (depending on your approach) can be very difficult without maxing your skills.

Secondly how much money do new players limited to fel/tram need? Do you think they need to buy artifacts or something? They don't. They can just wander around, find some friends, kill some monsters make some suits... they don't need millions.

I feel like, as a vet your view of UO is focused pretty much entirely on the end game high level stuff, and as such you may have forgotten what it's like to be new, and how different the two experiences are. A new player just needs to get out there, raise some skills, kill some liches, see the world, see the cool houses, meet some cool people, and when they realize there's a lot more game beyond the limited free account, if they are a fan of the game, they will have a lot of reasons to want to subscribe, including a vested interest in a fairly developed character.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Firstly, I disagree on both counts. You can find good items, items worth selling for fair, if not huge bit of cash anywhere. As for powerscrolls not being a lure... I don't see how you don't see that as something people would want. Everyone wants character progression, all the advanced templates are based on 120 skills, and much of the end game stuff (depending on your approach) can be very difficult without maxing your skills.

Secondly how much money do new players limited to fel/tram need? Do you think they need to buy artifacts or something? They don't. They can just wander around, find some friends, kill some monsters make some suits... they don't need millions.

I feel like, as a vet your view of UO is focused pretty much entirely on the end game high level stuff, and as such you may have forgotten what it's like to be new, and how different the two experiences are. A new player just needs to get out there, raise some skills, kill some liches, see the world, see the cool houses, meet some cool people, and when they realize there's a lot more game beyond the limited free account, if they are a fan of the game, they will have a lot of reasons to want to subscribe, including a vested interest in a fairly developed character.
So you'd allow them to get power scrolls but not use them? How are they gonna sell them? What would they even buy without being able to visit any good player vendors?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We're talking fel here, not Siege. I played fel for years on Chessie after joining the game with UO:Ren. The fel crowds were complete ashats. The pkers of Siege are not ashats.

If the game goes Steam F2P with new players stuck in fel the pkers who nearly killed UO back pre tram will swarm back to rampage and kill everyone they can until all the new players are gone, then they will whine, say the game is no fun, and leave again.

Bleeping ashats ... so dumb they kill their own fun. :twak:
I played pre ren too, and there were both jerk pks and non jerk pks, and as someone who played siege from it's inception there have been PLENTY of complete ******* reds running around just looking to disrupt other people's game play.

That said I think there are factors to consider here comparing 1998 to 2016. Mindless dickhead pking is really the purview of the teenager, and I honestly don't think UO has many of those any more. I think a lot of people who were cruel and immature grew up and no longer have those inclinations. Will some people get pked by *****? Sure. But I don't think it would be a universal experience. I also don't think it's such a terrible thing to have new players not be terrified of being killed by others.

Again, to clarity, I am not FOR limiting them to fel, I just don't think it would be the horrible disaster people are envisioning.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you'd allow them to get power scrolls but not use them? How are they gonna sell them? What would they even buy without being able to visit any good player vendors?
Would I allow it? Yes, of course. We WANT them to want to sub. They have these items, to make their characters better... want to use them... natural conclusion would be increased desire to sub. Even if you didn't allow them to posses the items for some weird reason, they would know they exist, and would desire them.

How are they going to sell them? If they want to sell them, offer them on general chat, or on a forum like this one, like many people do. They're new not stupid. ;)

What would they buy? Whatever they want. Consumables, clothes, low end gear... whatever. Why do they need to buy things? They are new players, they don't need much, and much of what they need they can get from adventuring around. Anyway, perhaps that would be incentive for people to start up some fel vendors? Build community?

Last edited: