• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

and when it does.......

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok this isnt about whether they should or shouldnt....or who is gonna quit if they ever do...cause frankly...I dont give a ****e~~~~~

Now what I would love to see is great ideas on how they could go F2P and generate comparable profit margins.
This is a business question....not a debate on ethics or should/shouldnt.....

Personally I think just the sale of gold itself could generate $1000.00s a week.
Sale of Housing accounts, as in accounts that have a castle. There is a crap ton of space on Malas that could hold castles and already holds 2 castles.
Housing upkeep fees or property taxes in UO gold. ( which they sell)
Sale of all vet rewards ( including shard shield, special mounts etc)
I dont think they need to get into selling elite armor or weapons....
but selling the raw material that makes those items ( runics for example)

thoughts???

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My thoughts are it will suck cause they would only do it to make more money than they are now. So one way or another they will get more outta us. I doubt the current team has the resources to pull this off. It would be a lot of creative work to keep coming up with new items to suck money out of us. Mesanna says she has trouble coming up with ideas for new vet rewards, so coming up with the quality and quantity of new items regularly that we would want to spend cash on might be a bit tough. To make new uber items we'd naturally would want to buy would imbalance the game greatly and it would be a hot mess unless they have been hiding some brilliance I haven't come across yet ;) Not hammering the rather small dev team, it would be hard to pull off with a large team. I mean they could hit a switch and make the game free, but I'm pretty sure that's not what EA would have in mind lol. They'll never sell shard shields, they make good side cash on that now.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now what I would love to see is great ideas on how they could go F2P and generate comparable profit margins.

Personally I think just the sale of gold itself could generate $1000.00s a week.
thoughts???
Why bother to login and play if I can buy gold from the store? And what do I need gold for, if I can just buy the items from the store?

Sale of Housing accounts, as in accounts that have a castle. There is a crap ton of space on Malas that could hold castles and already holds 2 castles.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here? Didn't the developers with-hold 5 castles on each shard when Malas launched?

***Ah, rereading and editing. You're saying sell a house with a castle (Or keep/tower/whatever) already placed. Charge more for accounts with prime housing spots? (Example: create instanced housing and vendor stalls in Luna and sell them with the account for say $29.99?)

Not a bad idea. They could place and sell accounts with houses now.

New Account Code - Free
New Account Code with Stygian Abyss $24.99
New Account Code with starter bundle (SA/TOL) and 1 castle placed in Trammel $64.99
New Account Code with starter bundle (SA/TOL) and 1 castle placed in Malas $74.99

Umm, we already pay housing taxes. It's $9.00 a month per account.

Are you saying just add an additional spot for extra? Like $9.00 for your first house, then an additional $3.00 for a second house? It doesn't matter if you define this as paying with gold. If I can buy gold then pay with that, or I just pay directly, same difference. Also, why can't they just do this now?

What prevents them from doing this now, without taking the game free to play?
I've wondered why they haven't done this for a long time. Make the vet reward system not about the reward itself, but one free item from the reward choices. Take the money and use it to build out the rewards - higher res art, better sound, better functionality, etc.

If you're going to go free to play, this is the meat and potatoes of the business model. Hell yeah this is what you sell.

You sell this too. Because if you're selling weapons to the warriors to make money off their play style, then you damn well want to make money off the crafters too. ('Course, the crafters probably won't be selling to the warriors, since you're taking that over from them, so this playstyle might not be there anymore. However, if you're going F2P you want as wide of a revenue stream as possibly. Don't miss any places where you can profit.)

I should point out here that while I would be wary of any major change, such as going free to play, I just re-opened a third account. (I need, just need, those extra 'toons.) So F2P would save me $30 a month - or $360 a year. Wait, holy crap I'm paying that much for UO. @Kyronix I hope you are enjoying that new office chair I just bought you.

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
No new ideas needed. Just add another selection for every year over 15...
Well my point was if they have a hard time coming up with vet reward ideas it isn't going to be easy for them to come up with cool stuff we'll wanna buy on a monthly basis.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In order to accurately assign cost to arbitrary things (houses, deco etc.) You need to know what revenue benchmark you need to reach monthly and go from there. Everything else is guessing and subjective.

Furthermore there is no way, on UHall, that you are going to have a business discussion, about subjective pricing with no real facts, without lots of feelings, arguing and gnashing of tooths. <--see what I did there foo!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as it's not stupidly limited like people here tend to suggest whenever F2P comes up. No housing is fine, that should be a source of revenue, skill limit should be 110 or 115, skill cap 700, if any limit. Have some kind of reasonable restriction on gold, maybe limit bag of sending use.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok this isnt about whether they should or shouldnt....or who is gonna quit if they ever do...cause frankly...I dont give a ****e~~~~~

thoughts???
F2P is easy, just take off the 15day timer on trial accounts to give people a longer time to decide if they want to sub or not.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with selling gold on the store is that it would inflate it faster than it already is because they would just create gold out of thin air each time a player buys some vs the current gold sellers who are selling gold that already exist within the game. Yes, I know a lot may have been duped in the past (and maybe still now?) hence why it's even worth less than years ago, but why inflate it faster than it currently has been?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should go like GW2 as a Buy to Play (B2P) model. Similar to a F2P model but different

You buy the game fully updated to todays date at a one time price. Then you pay for any future xpacs later on. So say today a new player buys every UO expansion made at a one time price of 50 bones. When a xpac comes out later all current players after todays date would pay for it.

UO has an item store already. Just add items to be bought.

-Have different prices for housing for new players.

-Add new house tiles at a time only available through the item store.

- Clothing outfits for RP purposes. Can be anything like a wedding dress for women or an outfit for a Duke of Trinsic.

-Pets for tamers account bound

-Pets for any other class account bound

-Gold

-Crafters starters pack. Has an X amount of resources depending on the crafting skill pack you choose to help you start out.

-Crafters Bod packs

- +1 Character slots

-New mounts only bought from the item store and account bound.

-Special items for Holidays.

-House decorations.

It can go on and on but people would pay for them.

How it would work my idea that current players don't have to pay subscriptions anymore for accounts. New players would have to buy the game. Any new xpacs then all players would have to buy them to have access to that content.

The item store could be tied into the EA Game Card since its used on Origin and Pogo.

Makes it easier on both EA and the consumer using the EA Game Cards. You can just walk in any Walmart, Toys-R-Us, Gamestop, and any other place you can buy cards now days. Or you can still buy game cards online.

I think it would bring a huge influx of players to the game and generate more revenue compared to the current system. Then they could actually fill up the servers and add new lands when needed for population. Use unused parts of the land to add more content or such.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the game hasn't been F2P in it's 10.000 years of existance...i doubt it will ever be F2P.
(UO doesn't have to be F2P for me...but the sub fee could be cut in half to a more reasonable price)

Although F2P would be neat and bring a lot of old players back that are now on freeshards.

But the most important thing is connecting with your costumers.

Even if official UO was F2P...if nothing really happens ingame...then people will leave anyway and go back to freeshards where they do a lot of fun events...

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Yeah we better be careful and not create any ....GASP..... Theories!!!!1!1 (The reason the last thread was locked) (Think about that for a second, nothing on the ROC was violated, no one was being disruptive, no....it was closed for fear of those radical theories!!!!1one!!!!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah we better be careful and not create any ....GASP..... Theories!!!!1!1 (The reason the last thread was locked) (Think about that for a second, nothing on the ROC was violated, no one was being disruptive, no....it was closed for fear of those radical theories!!!!1one!!!!
"We" didn't start theories. "THEIR" customer service agent did lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

thoughts???
You may have missed the "if and" before that bit. I wouldn't get too excited.

That said:

Gold sales: NO. No pay to get ahead. No runics, not equipment. Selling stuff like that devalues those pursuits in game so dramatically.
Vet Rewards: Um... some of them yes. Mainly any with utility. If it has utility, they should sell it. If it doesn't it should be exclusive.

The way I would do it would be 4 account levels:

Free: No access to any area beyond the original world. No crafting or gathering skills. No scroll use. No house. 3 character max.

Basic (5$ a month): Regular account, except you cannot place a house. 5 character max.

Classic (10$ a month): Regular account, 18x18 max house size. 7 character max.

Gold (14$ a month): Regular account like we have now (can place castles, keeps, etc) 9 character max, plus monthly points for the item store, GM paging priority, Beta invite priority, invites to dev Q&A session, things like that.

Expand the item store with deco, and appearance altering items, tile sets, ease of use items like the the lathe and stuff like that.

Open a new instanced housing option, personal little area that only you can access, you choose the area the plot is placed in (woods, ice, desert, etc.), all plots are customizable, you can have as many as you want to pay for.

7x7 size/storage: +2$ a month.
18x18 size/storage: +5$ a month.
Keep size/storage: +7$ a month
Caste size/storage: +9$ a month.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Th thing about gold sales is it's already happening everyday and has been since almost day one. So why shouldn't EA get the money over some overseas outfit? The stronger UO is financially the better. It's not if you like gold sales or not, it just about who's making money off it. Currently it isn't EA.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're going to go free to play, this is the meat and potatoes of the business model. Hell yeah this is what you sell.
It doesn't have to be that way. Plenty of free games don't sell uber gear or anything like that, only the crappy ones do.

Good f2p should be a lure, not a bleeding.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Th thing about gold sales is it's already happening everyday and has been since almost day one. So why shouldn't EA get the money over some overseas outfit? The stronger UO is financially the better. It's not if you like gold sales or not, it just about who's making money off it. Currently it isn't EA.
The difference is that any gold currently sold is generated in game, so there is a limit to the speed in which it accumulates, and the fact that someone had to play the game for that gold to exist. Selling gold skyrockets inflation, and reduces incentive to play the game. It's a bad idea.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The difference is that any gold currently sold is generated in game, so there is a limit to the speed in which it accumulates, and the fact that someone had to play the game for that gold to exist. Selling gold skyrockets inflation, and reduces incentive to play the game. It's a bad idea.
I got a ton so I really don't care ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the game hasn't been F2P in it's 10.000 years of existance...i doubt it will ever be F2P.
(UO doesn't have to be F2P for me...but the sub fee could be cut in half to a more reasonable price)

Although F2P would be neat and bring a lot of old players back that are now on freeshards.

But the most important thing is connecting with your costumers.

Even if official UO was F2P...if nothing really happens ingame...then people will leave anyway and go back to freeshards where they do a lot of fun events...
They were actually working on going f2p before KR. I think that f2p seems like a logical "last gasp" plan for when the sub rate gets under a certain point.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well I care about the game doing well, not just about myself, but that's just me. ;)
You gotta know though that if UO were to go F2P everything would have a price tag and I'm sure gold would be the first item up for sale. And because it benefits you doesn't mean it's good for the game.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with selling gold on the store is that it would inflate it faster than it already is because they would just create gold out of thin air each time a player buys some vs the current gold sellers who are selling gold that already exist within the game. Yes, I know a lot may have been duped in the past (and maybe still now?) hence why it's even worth less than years ago, but why inflate it faster than it currently has been?

Dude billions and billions are sold every day, most of it duped to order. Once they make all checks void and useless, that will remove all this artificial gold. Then they have the easiest way to sell and distribute gold. Supply and demand will be controlled by broad sword. Where do you think all this gold comes from that is sold off many third party sites?? Duped checks....removing checks makes it just a little harder. Plus all the profit from selling this duped gold now funnels back to the game...not to a third party site. I also believe if given the option....all these players who buy from a third party site would rather buy from UO directly.

Dont fool yourself in believing that the current gold being sold is generated in game....that thought process is hopelessly naive!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In order to accurately assign cost to arbitrary things (houses, deco etc.) You need to know what revenue benchmark you need to reach monthly and go from there. Everything else is guessing and subjective.

Furthermore there is no way, on UHall, that you are going to have a business discussion, about subjective pricing with no real facts, without lots of feelings, arguing and gnashing of tooths. <--see what I did there foo!
Brother no where did I suggest we do any of that.....My original post has no price tag on anything.
It is simple a place to post ideas to generate income.
Personally I believe this is coming sooner rather then later.....so I would just love to see it done well

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Dude billions and billions are sold every day, most of it duped to order. Once they make all checks void and useless, that will remove all this artificial gold. Then they have the easiest way to sell and distribute gold. Supply and demand will be controlled by broad sword. Where do you think all this gold comes from that is sold off many third party sites?? Duped checks....removing checks makes it just a little harder. Plus all the profit from selling this duped gold now funnels back to the game...not to a third party site. I also believe if given the option....all these players who buy from a third party site would rather buy from UO directly.

Dont fool yourself in believing that the current gold being sold is generated in game....that thought process is hopelessly naive!
I think the economy is bleeding gold though. I've noticed the rares aren't getting the prices they once were on say Atlantic. If someone was duping gold for a living the word went out well before the publish. They could have easily stocked up on all the checks they wanted.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
checks still exist in game my friend.....and they are still getting duped and added to third party bank accounts to be transferred at request

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the economy is bleeding gold though. I've noticed the rares aren't getting the prices they once were on say Atlantic. If someone was duping gold for a living the word went out well before the publish. They could have easily stocked up on all the checks they wanted.
Just like @TimberWolf said. They still exist and are being duped. It's called gold laundering in UO :)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Here..we...go...
  • Mesanna stated at a meet & greet prior to the publish which changed the banking system that duped checks would disappear.
  • Checks are now no longer able to be made in game.
  • The problems that people have buying legit items - be it x-fer tokens or gametime from the Origin store have driven people to 3rd party sellers over the years.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Here..we...go...
  • Mesanna stated at a meet & greet prior to the publish which changed the banking system that duped checks would disappear.
  • Checks are now no longer able to be made in game.
  • The problems that people have buying legit items - be it x-fer tokens or gametime from the Origin store have driven people to 3rd party sellers over the years.
Yes but if you took 500 million dollar checks and put them in a chest in your house, they're still there and I assume "dupable". I never was able to dupe anything in my life so I have no idea, lol. They don't disappear until you put them in your bank box. So if checks still exist and if duping still exists, well there ya go.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes but if you took 500 million dollar checks and put them in a chest in your house, they're still there and I assume "dupable". I never was able to dupe anything in my life so I have no idea, lol. They don't disappear until you put them in your bank box. So if checks still exist and if duping still exists, well there ya go.
Fair scenario, but why wouldn't you dupe several EM items which were worth a bil or more instead of checks? Personally, I'm not buying the "billions and billions are sold every day, most of it duped to order" argument. Not saying that it hasn't happened in the past, or that it didn't infuse the game with a huge, insanely huge amount of gold... but I do not believe that this is happening currently (or even recently).

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Fair scenario, but why wouldn't you dupe several EM items which were worth a bil or more instead of checks? Personally, I'm not buying the "billions and billions are sold every day, most of it duped to order" argument. Not saying that it hasn't happened in the past, or that it didn't infuse the game with a huge, insanely huge amount of gold... but I do not believe that this is happening currently (or even recently).
I have no idea where they actually get it all but they seem to have plenty. I've heard rumors @Captn Norrington that Broadsword supplies the 3rd party sites with gold ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You gotta know though that if UO were to go F2P everything would have a price tag and I'm sure gold would be the first item up for sale. And because it benefits you doesn't mean it's good for the game.
You act like that the only possible way it would go, when there are dozens of games out there you can point to that don't do that. F2p games don't HAVE to be predatory, and generally the only ones that are were ones who were designed from the onset to do so. Games that were subbed and go free, always have sub options that give you access to everything, and don't sell game breaking items, just luxury stuff.

And I know that just because it benefits me, its not necessarily good for the game, but I wasn't the one saying "I've got mine so who cares", you were. I was criticizing that attitude, so...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
You act like that the only possible way it would go, when there are dozens of games out there you can point to that don't do that. F2p games don't HAVE to be predatory, and generally the only ones that are were ones who were designed from the onset to do so. Games that were subbed and go free, always have sub options that give you access to everything, and don't sell game breaking items, just luxury stuff.
True enough. I guess when it comes to UO I expect the worse lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That's from the meet and greet where that one guy loves hassling Norrington lol

"Moxy: ok ty and second part of teh question, both nails and norrington have told me broadsword take kickbacks from gold sites"

Yeah I was LOL on that one....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also believe if given the option....all these players who buy from a third party site would rather buy from UO directly.
Not unless some practices were changed lol. I can see it now, Origin selling gold...each million is a separate transaction. Plus, with the third party site, there is no waiting 24 hours for a code to be generated {lamesauce}

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not unless some practices were changed lol. I can see it now, Origin selling gold...each million is a separate transaction. Plus, with the third party site, there is no waiting 24 hours for a code to be generated {lamesauce}
I have bought items from third party sites and from EA store. I guess I have been lucky but I have never waited more than 5 mins when dealing with EA store. I have waited 24 hrs for items from 2 different third party sites.

And if you do a little investigating then you will know yes billions in gold are sold every day on most shards. People dont want to buy a duped event drop they cant put on a vendor to sell. They want duped gold ( fast cheap and easy) where they can go buy castles and runics and ingredients and yes real event drops.

I am not a huge power player and I pretty much play on one or two single shards. But I spend 200 million a week easy making things for my characters or my friends. Have you ever tried to actually farm a million gold??? How long did it take you?? Now multiply that by 1000. If third party sites actually got their gold from players who sell it to them...then prices would be continually rising as the player base falls. But gold prices have been on a slow decline for years.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok for the sake of argument they don't allow gold to be an item sold in a UO item store.

We kind of going off topic.

There is so much more that can be added to make extra cash. Anything house deco or even new housing styles. That alone could be a 1000 items added to the game in a year and charging say an average of 5 bones an item.

Your common UO player is a pixel addict so say they bought 200 items a year on just housing items at 5 bones a pixel, then that's a 1000 bones spent. Now say that same person who has 2 accounts and only paying a subscription (30 bones average a month) and that's it. That's only 390 bones a year. People tend not to think when they are buying more items on a free subscription compared to paying a subscription and buying items which UO has now.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally anything sold from third party stores can and should be sold by EA.

And yes collections of flowers and teapot and deco crap.....sales from those things alone could fund the entire game...lol

By taxing housing with gold withdrawn monthly from your bank box you would discourage house hoarding...if account subs were free. If your bankbox is empty come tax day.... house drops or is seized

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I'm not buying the "billions and billions are sold every day, most of it duped to order" argument. Not saying that it hasn't happened in the past, or that it didn't infuse the game with a huge, insanely huge amount of gold... but I do not believe that this is happening currently (or even recently).
Very naive woot...

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's too late for that. How many players would a shift to f2p or b2p bring?
The client is out of date and people laugh when they see the game. They wouldn't touch it with 10ft pole.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The client is out of date and people laugh when they see the game. They wouldn't touch it with 10ft pole.
It would bring more than anything else they could realistically do.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can think of ten people that I could coax into at least trying the game out if it was free to play. And if I was to post about it on Facebook, I could probably coax quite a few more to give it a shot.

Before anyone asks why I don't do that now with the 14-day free trial, my answer is that you can't really get a feel for the game play in just fourteen days without guidance of some sort, which we all know is currently lacking. And while I'd be more than willing to try and help out people, I'm not always around to do it.

If they really wanted to go free to play, they would need to get the store system working as seamlessly as possible and put together some sort of a player's guide. This second part would be time consuming.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I really like the idea of F2P for UO. If you start with the limitation for trial accounts and add a few more things... F2P is implemented. I think what they are afraid of is that people with multiple accounts will cancel the majority of their subscriptions if it goes free to play. But, the main reason people have multiple accounts is for house storage, and if the F2P account isn't allowed to own a house then there should be no issue.

Some of these are ideas others have posted before, but I agree with them. Others *might* be originals...
1. Skill cap of 100, total of 700 (or less)
2. One character per account. This might encourage them to subscribe instead of the hassle of creating multiple F2P accounts.
3. No houses.
4. Players can ONLY reside in felucca... bring back some excitement to the game.
5. Plain resources only is good - keep this. Plus all the other trial account restrictions.
6. No vendor ownership. Can create vendor search map limited times per day.

Store Items
I don't believe they should outright sell gold, it's a bad model and will destroy the game, no F2P game does this that I know of. Instead, you allow people to purchase Quality of Life items that don't cross the P2W threshold.
1. Skill cap unlock - raise a single skill cap to 120
2. Dragon shrinking potion (turn that dragon into a cold drake model)
3. Pet war paint (dye) with reasonable hues (no neon...). Gives people some customization options.
4. Alacrity Scroll Bundle.
5. Character Slot available for F2P accounts.
6. Stable Slots. People love to hoard pets, and not just IRL.
7. Race unlock tokens for F2P, and more races (no new armor types though...) Remove expansion requirements for races and require token purchase if not already grandfathered in. Subscribers can play any race. IF you switch to F2P without the right account flags the character is unplayable.

I dunno, I thought I would have more idea, but it's kind of hard to just randomly create a good F2P model :)

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That is like saying the oceans of the world have a slow drip.
There REALLY needs to be a good gold sink. Like some sort of gated dungeon event that you pay 10M+ to increase your luck by 10,000 or something higher so you have a better chance at loot drops. Or at least some mid-high ranged

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There REALLY needs to be a good gold sink. Like some sort of gated dungeon event that you pay 10M+ to increase your luck by 10,000 or something higher so you have a better chance at loot drops. Or at least some mid-high ranged
There should be a vendor that literally sells a sink made out of gold for like 1 billion gp each and it's only function is to look pretty and show off your billionaire status, have a limit of like 50 so they're slightly more desirable to rares collector. Once the sinks run out then have the vendor switch to selling gold toilets.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There should be a vendor that literally sells a sink made out of gold for like 1 billion gp each and it's only function is to look pretty and show off your billionaire status, have a limit of like 50 so they're slightly more desirable to rares collector. Once the sinks run out then have the vendor switch to selling gold toilets.
I instantly thought of 6 people who would buy that the second they saw it when I read "gold toilets" lol.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really like the idea of F2P for UO. If you start with the limitation for trial accounts and add a few more things... F2P is implemented. I think what they are afraid of is that people with multiple accounts will cancel the majority of their subscriptions if it goes free to play. But, the main reason people have multiple accounts is for house storage, and if the F2P account isn't allowed to own a house then there should be no issue.

Some of these are ideas others have posted before, but I agree with them. Others *might* be originals...
1. Skill cap of 100, total of 700 (or less)
2. One character per account. This might encourage them to subscribe instead of the hassle of creating multiple F2P accounts.
3. No houses.
4. Players can ONLY reside in felucca... bring back some excitement to the game.
5. Plain resources only is good - keep this. Plus all the other trial account restrictions.
6. No vendor ownership. Can create vendor search map limited times per day.

Store Items
I don't believe they should outright sell gold, it's a bad model and will destroy the game, no F2P game does this that I know of. Instead, you allow people to purchase Quality of Life items that don't cross the P2W threshold.
1. Skill cap unlock - raise a single skill cap to 120
2. Dragon shrinking potion (turn that dragon into a cold drake model)
3. Pet war paint (dye) with reasonable hues (no neon...). Gives people some customization options.
4. Alacrity Scroll Bundle.
5. Character Slot available for F2P accounts.
6. Stable Slots. People love to hoard pets, and not just IRL.
7. Race unlock tokens for F2P, and more races (no new armor types though...) Remove expansion requirements for races and require token purchase if not already grandfathered in. Subscribers can play any race. IF you switch to F2P without the right account flags the character is unplayable.

I dunno, I thought I would have more idea, but it's kind of hard to just randomly create a good F2P model :)
That would quite possibly be the most limited F2P model I've seen. **** that. It's like you guys don't want new players.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally anything sold from third party stores can and should be sold by EA.
So every item in the game then? Why play?

By taxing housing with gold withdrawn monthly from your bank box you would discourage house hoarding...if account subs were free. If your bankbox is empty come tax day.... house drops or is seized
Just make people pay for extra house, and let them hoard all they want.