• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ABC Archer

N

Neandratol

Guys back in the game after years looking to rebuild so was thinking of going as easy as I can out of the gate with limited resources. Archer/Bush/Chiv/Resist/Anat/Heal/Tactics seems the easiest way to go for me but was curious with Bush as an archer if you pick up parry is that better than resist or do you even parry with archery? Thanks for any help and advice.

C

Connor_Graham

You can't Parry with Archery. Here's the template to go with:

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75

R

RichDC

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75
I tend to agree but with the following alterations,

Archery 100(use the hunters to 120)
Healing 90 (use enhanced bandies to 100)
Chiv to 70
Resist spells to 120
Anatomy to 100

C

Connor_Graham

Archery 100(use the hunters to 120)
I NEVER suggest to anyone that they use items to replace skill. You get married to that item, and if you decide, or need, to make any changes, you end up having to change everything on the character, including the entire suit and template. +Skill items are ok to enhance a skill you already have at a level that's suitable, but not to bring a skill to the desired level.

Healing 90 (use enhanced bandies to 100)
Enhanced bandages DO NOT bring Healing to 100 if real skill is 90, it only heals damage equivalent to what GM skill would bring you. The chance to cure poison or rez remains exactly the same.

Chiv to 70
75 gives fewer casting failures, thus increases total damage output.

Resist spells to 120
Not necessary for archers.

Anatomy to 100
5 Anatomy one way or the other isn't going to make that much of a difference, and the 5 points is better served to increase damage output by putting it into Chiv so you fail less while casting.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Guys back in the game after years looking to rebuild so was thinking of going as easy as I can out of the gate with limited resources. Archer/Bush/Chiv/Resist/Anat/Heal/Tactics seems the easiest way to go for me but was curious with Bush as an archer if you pick up parry is that better than resist or do you even parry with archery? Thanks for any help and advice.
with Limited resources go with this
archery 115
Bushido 115
tactics 115
anatomy 100
resist spells 100
chiv 75
healing 100

you can pick these scrolls up fairly cheep all 3 for under 500k compared to 10 to 20 mill for 3 120 scrolls
if money is no object go with what connor said
I run this temp because I am cheep and have not much money and can go pretty much anywhere less damage total but a good one till you get $
also you could bump chiv to 85 and lower resist whatever you think is best for you you could do away with resist altogether and pump up other skills or add a new one I dont suggest this unless you are very experienced! A group of mages or spell casters hitting you will make you have a very fast dirt nap !

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Connor already made all the main points but resist is never really needed unless you are somewhere, where all the mobs do is cast magic. Parry does nothing for an archer.

Archery
Bushido
Chivalry
anatomy + heal for healing poison and rezzing reliably
tactics for damage output

I highly advise 120 archery for max chance to hit. The other necessary skills to 120 you can get down the road. I would go in the order of 1. archery 2. bushido and then 3. tactics

Connor's given template is a max damage template. I highly advise something close to it and recommend it if all you will be doing is PvM.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I would advise 120 archery also but as he said Limited resources on LS 120 archery scroll is 6 mill to me thats not limitied resources I was attempting to show what can be done with low resources..

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would advise 120 archery also but as he said Limited resources on LS 120 archery scroll is 6 mill to me thats not limitied resources I was attempting to show what can be done with low resources..
True. I was making a recommendation though...as were you. Limited resources can mean many things: 1. gold 2. weapons 3. armor 4. jewelry 5. etc. Provided the fact that he has o.k. armor and a better than average weapon, he can go a long ways with farming enough gold to get said scroll.

I know there is no bags of sending any more and hasn't been for a little while now, but...it's not that difficult? This isn't FFXI where everything I do hinges on whether something sells or not at the AH.

C

Connor_Graham

I know there is no bags of sending any more and hasn't been for a little while now, but...it's not that difficult? This isn't FFXI where everything I do hinges on whether something sells or not at the AH.
Bags of Sending were restored to their previous usefulness just a couple of weeks ago. On top of that, the weight of gold was reduced 300%. It is now 1 stone per 150 gold, where it used to be 1 stone per 50. BoS's are back in style again.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bags of Sending were restored to their previous usefulness just a couple of weeks ago. On top of that, the weight of gold was reduced 300%. It is now 1 stone per 150 gold, where it used to be 1 stone per 50. BoS's are back in style again.
Cool Connor. Well haven't played in as many weeks as stated. Good to know though. After all, all they had to do was make the birds tougher *hint hint.*

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
best change in the game for a while IMOP I actually pulled a few 100k from oaks the other day was nice not to have to run back and forth with my beetle :)

S

sleepyprince

a stupid question to ask. . .
as 4 a abc, why need to have 120 bush?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
bushido works well with honored foe at 120 you are getting 12% damage increase per step and 120 luck bonus per step to a max of 100% damage increase and 1000 luck bonus at 120 it takes fewer steps to reach this !
also I believe it gives you about 20% chance for a crit crits can do up to 200% damage increase I have hit in the hundreds for damage doing this!

basicly if you hit every time it takes 9 steps to reach perfection instead of ten! the damage can be insane when you maintain this level

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
actually I think it gives you a 20% chance to ignore armor not crit cant remember wich

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To add to what Storm said, the chance for critical is 7% better...if I recall correctly. Additionally from a PvM point of view, the more steps achieved and maintained, the more health, mana, and stamina returned back to you after each foe fought. That said, the foe has to be applicable to your honor level.

e.g. It would be pointless to go out and honor lizards when you are a knight of honor. You won't get any return and...they should die fast anyways if you have that level of virtue.

It really may sound like apples and oranges, but from a proficiency standpoint as Storm basically already touched on, its very important. I can kill more mobs faster, tougher mobs faster, and basically not even have to blink due to the amount of damage output, and the fact that if everything is going my way (it is luck after all), I won't have to wait on stamina...and more importantly MANA.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just ran some damage calcs with 100 di a bow 100 str and 120 bushido and 115 tactics
the damage against a 70 resist suit would be 17-21 damage now if you hit with a crit/armor ignore you are doing 55-69 and thats a huge difference then if you add in slayer weapon and perfection etc the damage will be huge

S

sleepyprince

thx for the answer, but if it is in a pvp. . .?
cause i hear that, abc are also good for pvp

R

RichDC

I just ran some damage calcs with 100 di a bow 100 str and 120 bushido and 115 tactics
the damage against a 70 resist suit would be 17-21 damage now if you hit with a crit/armor ignore you are doing 55-69 and thats a huge difference then if you add in slayer weapon and perfection etc the damage will be huge
Hmmm Im guessing you dont pvp much

Damage from critical strike is capped at 35 as is armour ignore.

ABC archers can work nicely in PvP and in PvP i would honestly say think long and hard about keeping resist spells on that temp(taking to 120), if not, i can see you being mana vamped, paralysed, radily poisoned...basically makes things harder to do.

TBH Conner, although i agree with you on the most part, the thing with the hunters in terms of PvP is not only does it allow for more skill points(kind of neccessary for PvP) but it also grants some very nice mods, dex boost HCI. As the resists are so low(except in cold which is farily easy in all suits ive ever built)to max i wouldt really see it as hard to replace.

I tend to look at things from a PvP stance, whereas i get the impression you PvM. For PvP chiv isnt needed at hing levels, 70 is more than enough if you maintain high karms. Resist spells is a great skill to have(but only at 120) the anatomy to 100 isnt about damage output, its about damage healed. 90 with enhanced aids(especially when using balanced bow and cure pots) is more than enough coupled with gm anatomy.

N

Neandratol

Thanks everyone for the insight will be greatly helpful after years away from the game. Like the template specifically for the ability to pvm like a monster but when that little twerp decides to get on my last nerve I'd like to be able to take a walk to Fel with him and have a fighting chance. :) Hope to see you all on Atlantic my name is Visions and great to be back.

R

RichDC

Great to have you back, glad we could help...even if we have differing opinions :p

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Archery is very good in PvP indeed. But you have to have a good bow with SSI and spell effects. I was pretty ineffective until I found my current bows, it seemed that everyone could out-heal my attacks and I never won without hitting 3-4 times in a row. We ran an experiment on Catskills with only GM weapons and armor and found that no bow works without modifications.

Bushido is somewhat good in PvP. You really only have two bushido spells which work with archery. Lightning strike is good because it uses less mana than armor ignores. Confidence is outstanding, having made the difference between life and death for my archer many times. Having Confidence, potions, healing and chivalry heals may seem like overkill, but trust me, it isn't.

Chivalry is somewhat less useful for PvP, but the spell for remove curse is priceless, especially if you have 3 faster casting.

Putting them all together makes you pretty near impossible to kill in a one on one unless you make a mistake or get really unlucky.

R

RichDC

Bushido is somewhat good in PvP. You really only have two bushido spells which work with archery. Lightning strike is good because it uses less mana than armor ignores. Confidence is outstanding, having made the difference between life and death for my archer many times. Having Confidence, potions, healing and chivalry heals may seem like overkill, but trust me, it isn't.
Can you not evade with archery or is it just that without parry it doesnt last long enough to be effective?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The success of evasion is based on your parry skill. So if you carry a bow, no parry check is performed and you can't parry anything using evasion.

At least that's the way it has been described. Honestly, I haven't tested it.

S

Seismic

I am really enjoying my change from 115 to 120 archery the last few weeks. I'm hitting *all* the time (35-40 HCI too, tho) and don't resort to Lit Strike as much (115 bushy).

In a group last night in Doom, I ran circles around the DF, and when I'd stop, I'd almost always connect. Very nice!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I am really enjoying my change from 115 to 120 archery the last few weeks. I'm hitting *all* the time (35-40 HCI too, tho) and don't resort to Lit Strike as much (115 bushy).

In a group last night in Doom, I ran circles around the DF, and when I'd stop, I'd almost always connect. Very nice!
I need to hunker down and stop spending money on my other characters and save up 6 mill and get my 120 scroll the 3 120 scrolls are all I need to finish my archer his suit and everything else are done

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75
Nevermind 100 healing. Thats a waste of 20 points. 80 is all that is needed.
Nevermind 95 anatomy. Thats a waste of 95 points altogether.
Use enhanced bandages for extra healing if needed.
Use the 95 points saved from anatomy for something useful, like med etc. etc.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are 0/2 so far in advice. There is still a 3rd post I have to read though.

90 healing is the minimum to never fail healing yourself.

Anatomy is needed for both Damage output and healing.

C

Connor_Graham

In a PvM setting, I'd be willing to bet my archer outdamages yours. 95 Anat gives a 52.5% increase on base damage.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One can be effective, but you have to have a pretty good setup of bows as Farsight mentioned, in order to be really effective. The template in of itself is not effective for PvP. When coupled with a few good bows and what have you...it's pretty descent. I hold my own.

Just one tidbit, I should rephrase myself and say that you have very good survivability. I just wanted to clarify that your weapons will help differentiate you from a Robin Hood who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Either way though, if you have bad tactics its all a mute point, yah? :D

O

Old Man of UO

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75
I am confused by the ratio of anatomy to tactics here.

According to Stratics calculator this gives a base damage for my stats and a bow of:
95 Anat/120 Tactics = 55-69 base damage
120 Anatomy/95 Tactics = 54-68 base damage

and divided evenly
100 Anat/100 Tactics = 54-68 base damage
107 Anat/108 Tactics = 55-70 base damage
120 Anat/120 Tactics = 57-73 base damage

So, based on the template posted above with 215 points to divide between Anat and Tactics, aren't you better off with 107 Anatomy/108 Tactics for damage output?

Is there another bonus to having 120 tactics?

C

Connor_Graham

Tactics gives a much higher base damage increase than Anatomy does. At 120 Tactics, you're getting a 170% damage increase compared to 65% with 120 Anatomy.

O

Old Man of UO

Tactics gives a much higher base damage increase than Anatomy does. At 120 Tactics, you're getting a 170% damage increase compared to 65% with 120 Anatomy.
Then Stratics combat calculator is wrong?
http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

FORMULAS:
Tactics Damage Bonus% = Tactics ÷ 1.6 (Add 6.25% if Tactics >= 100)
Anatomy Damage Bonus% = (Anatomy ÷ 2) + 5
Lumberjack Damage Bonus% = Lumberjack ÷ 5 (Add 10% if Lumberjacking >= 100)
Strength Damage Bonus% = Strength * 0.3 (Add 5% if Strength >= 100)
Final Damage Bonus% = Tactics Bonus + Anatomy Bonus + Lumber Bonus + Strangth Bonus + Damage Increase Items*
Final Damage = Base Damage + (Base Damage * Final Damage Bonus%)
* Damage Increase is capped at 100%.

According to that, you would get better base damage by making Anatomy = Tactics, rather than maxing Tactics first. I'm trying to decide how to balance it on my archer.

C

Connor_Graham

To the best of my knowledge (and experience) this is the formula for Tactics that is currently in use:

FORMULA: % of Base Damage that is Dealt= Tactics + 50

O

Old Man of UO

To the best of my knowledge (and experience) this is the formula for Tactics that is currently in use:

FORMULA: % of Base Damage that is Dealt= Tactics + 50
I just checked on TC1 - your formula isn't correct, but Stratics is. If you have 215 skill points to distribute between Anatomy and Tactics, best ratio is 107.5:107.5 (give or take a point or two, doesn't make a difference).

95.0 Anatomy/ 120 Tactics = base damage 45-58
120 Anatomy/ 95.0 Tactics = base damage 45-57
107 Anatomy/ 108 Tactics = base damage 46-58
120 Anatomy/ 120 Tactics = base damage 48-61

Save your gold and don't buy the 120 scrolls, grab the free 110 scrolls from Luna bank. Unless you want to take both to 120.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just checked on TC1 - your formula isn't correct, but Stratics is. If you have 215 skill points to distribute between Anatomy and Tactics, best ratio is 107.5:107.5 (give or take a point or two, doesn't make a difference).

95.0 Anatomy/ 120 Tactics = base damage 45-58
120 Anatomy/ 95.0 Tactics = base damage 45-57
107 Anatomy/ 108 Tactics = base damage 46-58
120 Anatomy/ 120 Tactics = base damage 48-61

Save your gold and don't buy the 120 scrolls, grab the free 110 scrolls from Luna bank. Unless you want to take both to 120.
I'm not sure what point is trying to be proven, but tactics at 120 = 170% base damage...as Connor stated. With anatomy at 120, you divvy out 65% base damage. Additionally damage is dependent on what type of bow is used.

I have to say also, for all the readers on these boards, that neither the stratics site nor the uoguide site is updated on a consistent basis. Even with the adjusted calculation rates, tactics will ALWAYS be more base damage. Why?

Tactics = Weapon proficiency, which correlates to a better ability to deal damage the higher you go in skill.

Anatomy = Is used in combat, BUT it is a supplementary skill. Meaning, that it is not only used in combat but for A. healing and B. the ability to assess others.

Hence, pure logic would define that tactics will ALWAYS allow for more damage to be dealt.

Ex. Diomedes Artega uses a heavy x-bow with 125 STR, 120 tactics and 120 anatomy. Result = will be dependent on damage on x bow as well. anywhere from 57 to 81 per hit.

95 anatomy and 120 tactics is naturally less. 54 to 77 per hit with that same x bow. Results dependent on no damage bonus on the bow or the max cap allowed.

110 anatomy and 110 tactics is as follows: 55 to 78 per hit given the same parameters.

So you ask...what is my point? That the argumentation for having a skill at a certain level in terms of damage calculations is kaput. Each and every archer has to determine what suits their purpose best. In terms of a skill with a decimal in it, it has no valid point. Only whole numbers are used for healing skill. 90.0 healing is more reliable than 89.9. If you haven't tested it out, I highly recommend it. 90.0 is the magical mark.
106.7 magery could also be used as an example, but then again, why "only" 106.7?

An argumentation for no 120's in an ABC archer template is not a concrete point either.

1. For starters one might as well just leave bushido at GM than progress further if not going to 120. After all, at GM your critical rate is 13%. Going to 120 gives you 20%, which gives you a higher rate of damage, which helps you achieve perfection in less steps, which consequently helps you to fight longer without having to "rest."

2. Not having 120 archery = less accuracy. In this case however, a bit less archery only equals a little bit less accuracy. But, the better chance to hit you have the more you are able to get a. more criticals b. the mob dies faster, you achieve perfection at a greater probability c. you fight longer without "resting."

Do you have a point though as far as the damage output? To an extent, yes. But, it is like apples and oranges. Inevitably you will have to figure out where to put "x" amount of skill points, and to me that is too much of a hassle.

IF I have the skill points to use, burn, AND it makes sense to 120 the skill then I do it. No skill is SO expensive that if it can be 120'd, that it is such an expense. There are only a handful of skills that one can even debate with me that are deemed expensive. Besides, Connor stated bags of sending are back in style. So, go get hot and farm for a while. It's not THAT difficult.

Additionally, before the stated point, it seems to me that, that logic runs into the mill-type-of-logic of using skill +items to increase proficiency in certain areas. Another bad plan. After one has capped out on the PVM damage cap of 300%, why does it matter anyways?

I rather change stuff on the fly than be married to certain items because I want to make "x" build which has a difficulty to make rating of $#^%%$^.
If the OP needs to know how to farm as an ABC archer, I will be more than happy to log back into the game and give a very quick tutorial. Do the RIGHT thing and invest some time into getting your skills WHERE you want them. NOT to nickle and dime over +1's and +2's on damage output. You should have 300% as it is.

O

Old Man of UO

Diomedes... you sure waste a lot of words in which to say so little. You should preface your statement with "My opinion is" since there are so little facts to advance the argument in your statement.

However, after re-reading what Connor was saying I see the error in my thinking and Connor appears to be correct on the Tactics bonus. I was confusing Base Damage with how Total Damage is calculated. I know they aren't the same thing, but I am trying to determine how it all works for the best skill combination for a limited amount of available points.

Since both Anatomy and Tactics affect BOTH Base Damage and Total Damage, it isn't as straight forward as it appears on first glance. Base Damage affects both the minimum and maximum damage output. And it appears that Stratics page for Base Damage calculation is correct.

UO Herald doesn't have all the calculations for skill bonuses, and looking for an "Official" reference and can't find it yet.

O

Old Man of UO

Okay, I checked references and made calculations based both on the formula that Connor cited and the one on Stratics combat calculator (by the way, there is an error in the Stratics written formula for Anatomy - it gives the 5% bonus at all skill levels not just for 100). UOGuide gives citations for BOTH formulas, UO Herald gives neither one. So I ask you warriors, which is correct?

All that aside, I ran calculations based on both Connor's citation and Stratics guide, looking for the optimum balance with limited skill points available for Anatomy and Tactics - and found the same answer with either calculation.

IF only 200 skill points are available, the optimum is 100 Anatomy and 100 Tactics. This gives you both the 5% Anatomy bonus and the 6.25% Tactics bonus - or no bonus by Connor's formula. This is better than 80/120 or 120/80 ratios by either method.

IF you have 215 points available, the optimum is 100 Anatomy and 115 Tactics, with either method. The 5% Anatomy bonus just slightly outweighs the 5 extra Tactics skill points taking it to 120, both on minimum and maximum weapon damage totals. To my earlier point, if you are limited on skill points there is no need to buy a 120 Tactics scroll.

Now, if you do have the skill points available in your template choice, 120/120 is certainly best.

Does anyone have a link for Connor's cited formula other than UO Guide?

C

Connor_Graham

Does anyone have a link for Connor's cited formula other than UO Guide?
Yeah, it's the formula listed on Stratics under Tactics....

The formulas for the 2 should be-

Anatomy= (Anatomy/2) + 5

Tactics= Tactics + 50

It's very easy to see that Tactics gives a larger base damage increase than Anatomy, at any skill level. Also, the calculator that you're using is very much outdated.

O

Old Man of UO

Yeah, it's the formula listed on Stratics under Tactics....

The formulas for the 2 should be-

Anatomy= (Anatomy/2) + 5

Tactics= Tactics + 50

It's very easy to see that Tactics gives a larger base damage increase than Anatomy, at any skill level. Also, the calculator that you're using is very much outdated.
What you are not taking into consideration is that the 5% Anatomy bonus is exactly the same as the +5 skill points in Tactics going from 115 to 120 skill. BUT, you also get the additional damage bonus from Anatomy going from 95 to 100 skill, which outweighs the Tactics. This works the same way for either method used to calculate damage.

Mind you, this only applies if you have limited skill points available for Anatomy and Tactics - which most of us do. So best method is 100/100 Anatomy/Tactics - lock Anatomy and continue to raise Tactics up to max available skill points.

Stratics calculator may be out of date, but I haven't found a more up to date one.

C

Connor_Graham

Except that the higher percentage used as a multiplier gives a higher bonus for the points invested.

O

Old Man of UO

Except that the higher percentage used as a multiplier gives a higher bonus for the points invested.
Umm... No, Connor. At least that part of the math I am sure of.

We are talking about a difference of percentage from 115 to 120 Tactics skill, which equals 5% (i.e. 170&-165% bonus). The "higher" percentage from Tactics has nothing to do with it. At GM Anatomy you get a 5% bonus which is also use as a multiplier. Those two are exactly the same damage bonus.

The difference is that going from 95 Anatomy to 100 Anatomy gives 5%/2 damage bonus, or 2.5%. So, going from 95 to 100 Anatomy, and 120 to 115 Tactics (keeping the same 215 skill points for both) actually gives you a 2.5% increased damage bonus.

That is using the Tactics Damage bonus formula of base damage x (Tactics +50). Using the Stratics calculator gives almost the same thing.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Herald doesn't have all the calculations for skill bonuses, and looking for an "Official" reference and can't find it yet.
If there was an official reference, no questions would be needed. Consequently between an official record and the FAQ's, no questions would need to be asked.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a discussion about this some time ago. Regarding damage calculations that is. Obviously my point was missed and post not read as to confirm understanding. IF you have 300% total damage bonus, why are you going to nitpick over damage percentages?

Between your profession abilities (lighting strike for example), and if you already have the internal cap of 300% from special moves, you will not increase your damage further...even if you cast Enemy of One. You are already at 300%.

True, tactics, anatomy, lumberjack and STR aren't included in the damage calculation.

This is the most recent link to my knowledge regarding calculations:

http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday63.html

Obviously, people choose an ABC archer for a reason. Not to nitpick over a percentage of a few skill points, which will result in a paltry increase in damage considering the base damage of the weapon and where the rest of the damage is coming from. e.g. STR, Enemy of One as another example (otherwise few people would use chivalry for damage dealing purposes).

Connor in my opinion uses ABC archer for PvM (which is well suited of course). Given the 75 chivalry, that just makes failing a lot less probability to occur (in terms of casting Enemy of One). Given the rest of the template, 95 anatomy suited his needs better than adjusting other skills.

If one wants to nitpick over a few percentages on calculations, so be it. The numbers are trivial when compared to bushido and ones OVERALL tactics.
an ABC archer is a custodial type of template. It is not effective if you don't have high bushido (fact). Bushido allows for:

1. Higher chance for criticals.
2. Using the perfection system.
3. A nice healing spell that is effective (when used correctly).
4. An ability to strike multiple opponents at once (good depending on your playing style).
5. The ability tied into perfection that allows you to replenish HP, MP, and stamina after EVERY fight).

Probably a few more reasons that I cannot think of at the moment. The point is all those things are more important in my opinion, then nitpicking over a few percentages on skill points.

After all, you don't want low archery, correct? Of course not. You won't hit as often. Achery ties into bushido. The more chances you have to hit an opponent (and land a hit for that matter), the more chances you have of using the different bushido abilities to your advantage.
The higher the bushido skill, the greater the chance for critical hits coupled with achieving PERFECTION in less steps.

Perfection seems to be a forgone conclusion to most dexxers (based on my readings, my opinion, and their grasp of what it is about). However, it is STILL important on an archer (yes my opinion and a valid one). When combined with your honor virtue, I can fight many mobs in certain areas using perfection that I would not be able to normally. Why? I can fight in confined areas (normally not suited to an archer) since I don't have to worry too much as far as the spacing between myself and monster opposition. Normally an important point due to the fact that an archer has little in the way of defense (DCI, resists, and depending on the applicable template, not much else).

In conclusion, given financial constraints or what have you, one still needs high archery and high bushido to have an effective ABC template. If you use the ABC template the way it was meant, damage output is of little issue. Every 5 to 7.69 hits (at the worst) land for criticals. This is theoretically speaking of course. Perfection runs in streaks and is based on several different factors.

The rest of your template will have to be tailored towards WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. If you PvP with the template at times, perhaps lower chivalry suits your needs. Perhaps you would want higher resist. Maybe you only PvM and want a max type of damage template. You could have spellweaving as a janitorial type of tactic. There is as many ways to make ABC templates as their is sampire template. The effectiveness of certain templates could be argued certainly. If you play the template how it CAN be played though, nitpicking over percentages on skill points isn't really needed in my book.

O

Old Man of UO

... IF you have 300% total damage bonus, why are you going to nitpick over damage percentages?
PFFFTTT.... you are wrong, very verbose and boring. Use that calculator that you cited.

By the way, thank you for the link showing the Stratics calculator is correct! Now we all know the "Formula" for Tactics is wrong.

C

Connor_Graham

This entire thread has given me a headache, which is exactly why I try and avoid the math of the game whenever possible. I think I did less math when I was in college...

O

Old Man of UO

This entire thread has given me a headache, which is exactly why I try and avoid the math of the game whenever possible. I think I did less math when I was in college...
Heh... I was thinking that I needed to go back to calculus to explain better. It's actually just an intercept of two linear slopes (but Anatomy has a kink in it at 100%) on the same graph... But nah...

If you ever get to Michigan, stop on by and I'll buy you a beer and do a better job of explaining the math over a mug of suds.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PFFFTTT.... you are wrong, very verbose and boring. Use that calculator that you cited.

By the way, thank you for the link showing the Stratics calculator is correct! Now we all know the "Formula" for Tactics is wrong.
I'm not sure what is found wrong about the bushido information. The bushido FAQ discusses much of the same information.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Heh... I was thinking that I needed to go back to calculus to explain better. It's actually just an intercept of two linear slopes (but Anatomy has a kink in it at 100%) on the same graph... But nah...

If you ever get to Michigan, stop on by and I'll buy you a beer and do a better job of explaining the math over a mug of suds.
I love to explain things over beer ... Well maybe not much gets understood but the beer is good :)

The sad part is I understood what you just said I think I am going to go have a beer so if later I say something that does not make sense its the beer that did it ;-)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I thought the calculations where like this
* For Tactics Skill Levels < 100.0
o Tactics Damage Bonus = Skill Level/1.6
* For Tactics Skill Levels >= 100.0
o Tactics Damage Bonus = Skill Level/1.6 + 6.25
and anatomy
* (Skill Level/2) + 5

N

Nightryu

What would the recommended stats be for an ABC archer?

100 Str
100 Dex
30 Int?

Any recommendations would be great!

Thank you!