• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A YAMA story - Updated 3/24 with Chapter 5

• Thread starter Yasou Wakayama
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Mandolin

SpyderBite made his way down the dark halls of the tower, white boots pounding purposefully on the stone floors. Once or twice he'd bump in to a table or chair placed in the middle of the dark hallways.

"Dammit Otto", he muttered to himself, "You lack sight, yet fail to light torches for the rest of us".

Running desperately behind the Vampire, the Imp struggled to keep up with him. Pleading him not to disturb his master while he worked. SpyderBite approached the door to the Laboratory and hesitated. The last time he'd opened this very door, he faced a portal to the Void and the many nightmares within. Shaking the thought, he turned the handle and pushed the door open.

"Hail Spyder", said the blind man from his desk. He turned in his chair to face the Vampire out of courtesy only. Without sight, there was no reason to look at his friend except to be polite. "I heard Grug complaining out there at your approach. He doesn't like you much, you realize that right?".

"Aye", replied the Vampire, "I stopped by to say Hello. I killed two of his mages and Turned his Captain. I'm sure by morning that newly fanged Orc will be building a community center or vaccinating the Tribe's pets much to old Grug's dismay".

Otto chuckled and stood up from his desk, "You have much on your mind, eh?".

SpyderBite often wondered if the old man was mearly insightful or truly could read minds. "This war", Spyder took a seat in one of the comfortable chairs accross from the blind man. Otto walked over and sat with him in a similar seat next to the Vampire. "I am confused, Otto".

"War is confusing, friend", replied Otto staring blankly in Spyder's direction. "Friends fight friends. Enemies ally to fight their own friends. And usually its about something as simple as a woman. Considering the "woman" is the most confusing creature in existance, its no wonder that War would be confusing as well".

The Vampire, smiled wryly, "Too true". His look became more serious, "I am drawing my sword against people I have shared wine with, Otto. I am drugging my friends".

Otto held up a hand, halting Spyder's words. "You drugged somebody? With what?".

"The Suggestion Potion I was working on", his head lowered in shame, "I feared that Maleeka was in danger as a result of her feelings for the Shogun".

Otto shook his head, "I've known Mongbats that have used better judgement than you boy".

The Vampire looked up at Otto with pitch black eyes, "She has been confused as well. It was tearing her apart. I couldn't watch her hurt like that, Otto. She means a lot to me. I will not watch while those I care for hurt".

"That is your greatest weakness", replied the blind man.

Puzzled, Spyder waited for Otto to continue.

"Every time you've fallen, its been a result of letting your guard down to protect your friends and family. Your enemies take advantage of your weakness", Otto rubbed his chin in thought, "You drugged your friend".

"Is there a way I can counter this mistake, Otto?", was all Spyder could muster for words. Distraught, he clasped his head and sighed.

"There's no need", replied Otto, "My Scribe heard Maleeka's tale some time back. She also remembers Mandolin's telliing of your sad past as well. Lets just say she's been busy as of late and leave it at that. In the meantime, go to Maleeka and speak to her. I think you both have much to speak about".

"What do 'stories' have anything to do with the spell I've cast on the woman?!", shouted the Vampire, frustration clear on his face. "I'm attacking Yasou on sight.. without a second thought. I'm drugging my friend!", Spyder stood and paced for a second before spinning to face Otto again, "Gods, Otto! We should be out there slaying the Primitive Vampires or the Brigands that once called themselves Revolutions! Instead we're slaughtering each other on the battlefield!".

"Spyder", said Otto calmly, "Don't let your guilt guide you. Maleeka will be fine. Go speak to her.. I think you'll be the better for it. Trust me".

The ghostly Unicorn neighed and reared up as the Vampire reigned it in before Maleeka's home. He'd encountered a lone Wakayama outside Obake's residence and after the long ride and a short skirmish, the mount was weary and frustrated.

SpyderBite saw Kat's steel clad mount tethered outside the Merchant's shoppe and wondered what his wife would be doing here at such a late hour. Readying himself for a very hard conversation, he made his way up the wooden steps of her home, ignoring the chatter of the Vendors outside.

Upon entering the shoppe, he was surprised to see Katharine and Maleeka smiling and laughing together. He stood their confused at the scene.

"Sit down, my Chosen", beamed Katharine, "Maleeka has something to tell you".

G

Ginsu-SP

The roar of the falls was deafening.

Aeric looked out over the lake that the falls emptied into. It was a beautiful blue-green
mirror with herons stalking it's shores... the occasional fish leaping after a wooly fly.

"WE HAVE TO DIVE UNDER THE FALLS." Skada shouted.

"WHAT!?" yelled Aeric.

"WE HAVE TO DIVE UNDER THE FALLS." she shouted more loudly.. this time making
diving, and swimming motions. "READY!?" she yelled right in Aeric's ear.

Aeric nodded an affirmative, and with that Skada dove into the lake and swam
downward... Aeric followed closely behind.

The current, and noise from the waterfall was almost overpowering. Aeric swam
hard to try to keep up with Skada... seeming to lose ground against the current
with each stroke. He felt the water from the falls pounding his body when he
was directly under them. The noise was so incredibly loud that he thought he'd
lose consciousness any moment... and then all was still. The water behind the
falls was as still as the lake. Aeric's chest ached for air, and he swam hard for
the surface.

Skada and Aeric bobbed to the surface together, both gasping for air.

"I DIDN'T THINK I WAS GOING TO MAKE IT!" Aeric sputtered.

Skada only smiled. "LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU CATCH YOUR BREATH."

Aeric nodded he was ready, and watched as Skada sank silently below the surface.
Swimming straight down, he could see the mouth of the cave. Small schools
of fish swam here and there. And he could see that there was a fairly strong
current coming from within the cave, by the little fish swimming against it all
around the opening. The cavern was completely dark... but was illuminated
somewhat when Skada held out a glowing green stone to him. She had another
just like it, and immediately swam straight up, and up, and up until Aeric thought
his lungs would burst. Finally they broke the surface, with the glowstones being
the only source of light.

"Let's get these glowstones working." Said Skada as she pulled herself out of the
pool of water. She walked a few feet and sat down, shook the water off her hands
and began to rub her stone. Soon it shone as brightly as a lantern. Aeric pulled
himself from the water and went through the same process. Soon the cavern
they were sitting in was well lit.

Aeric looked around noticing many unknown symbols on the walls. "Do you know
what these writings mean?" Aeric was holding his glowstone up to a section of
wall that had many symbols on it.

"Some of them... many of them are very ancient, and most of those I do not
know. This one... symbolizes a demon within. This one is a symbol of change,
and this symbol around it signifies danger."

"So then the stories you told me last night are true then..."

"Aye, you should think long and hard about doing this. I have guided two seekers
here, one now speaks only the truth no matter how insulting...and the other has
not spoken a word since he gazed upon Lac Clair."

Aeric spent a few moments looking at more symbols... stopping at one that looked
like a man with an explosion aura around his head. "What is this one?"

"That is an old one... but I have been told it means enlightenment."

"Or an exploding head..." Aeric laughed nervously, as he knew he must do this thing. "Let's get started."

"First you must clear your mind, and if you are a spiritual person... you should
ask for strength now, as you will need it."

Aeric knelt and was silent in thought for a moment and then said the blessing he
had learned as a child;

Mother of Earth,
Mother of Sky,
Preserve my soul,
Against evil within,
Against evil without.
Direct my path
In light, and in love
Until I am gathered home.

After another moment of meditation Aeric stood. "I am ready."

Silently Skada began to lead the way through a narrow tunnel which, after a
short way, opened up into a cathedral-like room. In the center was a round pit
with a large slab of smooth stone jutting from it's edge to almost the center.

"It is just as I told you last night. Walk to the end of the stone, lay down so that
you can see the reflection of your face. When you are ready, say the chant I
taught you last night three times... and you will see what you came for. Only
you will see this, I will see nothing. Do you remember the chant?"

"Yes.. I am ready." Aeric stepped onto the smooth, flat stone overhanging the
pit. Each step seemed harder than the one previous, until finally he felt as if he
were mired in sticky mud. Finally he reached the end, and lay down so that only
his head stuck out from the end, and he faced the water. Meanwhile, Skada had
set the two glowstones as high up the cave walls as she could, on opposite
sides of the pit, to illuminate the bottom as much as possible. She then
sat down under one of the glowstones, and became as still and quiet as the
stone she leaned against.

Aeric looked down at the strange water. He had never seen such water... it seemed
to sparkle, as if gold dust churned within it. He stared at his reflection, as he
had done everyday for a month. He thought of the chant he was to use to start
this.... and he had a moment of doubt when he questioned whether he was
strong enough for this test... then he began;

"I bathe my soul in the pool of Lac Clair
Honesty of self do I seek,
Clarity of spirit do I seek,
Bring forth the communion of self,
So that I may see the truth.

I bathe my soul in the pool of Lac Clair
So that I may see the truth.

I bathe my soul in the pool of Lac Clair
So that I may see the truth."

The glittering water began to churn, and swell within the pit so that it seemed
it would overflow violently and pull Aeric down to it's depths. Then in an instant
everything around him began to shift and move, until he felt as if he were being
propelled downward at amazing speed... either he was moving down, or the floor
was moving up.... he could not tell and so he grasped the edges of the stone he
was laying on for dear life. He focused on his reflection as all around him became
a blur. In a blink he was face to face with a strange ugly man who wore a scowl,
and looked very sad. His skin was rough, his eyes cold crystalline blue.

Aeric was choked for words...

The ugly man spoke... "Why do you bother me?"

Aeric thought there must be some mistake... he was here to confront himself.

"Who are you?" asked Aeric timidly.

"I am Aeric Horn, son of King Lucian." replied the apparition.

"But I have looked at my reflection for months... you look nothing like me."

"I am not a reflection, I am your inner-self."

Aeric was shocked. He had lived a life of virtue, and now this ugly creature is his
inner-self!!? It was too much for the mind to comprehend.

"You do not believe me? Do you think your inner-self lies to you as you lie to me?"

Aeric was once again taken aback.

"What lies do I tell!? I have struggled with this question for a full month."

"I know you have. I have been there puzzling with you all the while. The lies you
tell are in regards to how you relate to others... you see yourself as friendly and
unselfish, when you are actually bothered and seeking glory. You see yourself as
attentive and patient, when you are actually distant and impatient...."on and on
he went instructing Aeric on the ways that he fooled himself.

With each revelation the inner-self grew to look more like Aeric, and when he
finally stopped speaking... Aeric was looking at his mirror image.

"These things you must strive to overcome... knowing that you are not all you
believe yourself to be is half the battle." and with that the inner-self disappeared.

Aeric was physically drained by this experience. He raised himself to kneeling.
Skada ran to support him. "Just what I need... for him to fall off in the pit.she
thought.

"Aeric?" Skada queried hopefully.

Aeric looked up at her. "Yes?"

Skada gasped.

"What is it?" asked Aeric.

"Your eyes... and... let's get back outside then you can see."

The two made their way back to the surface, and to the deafening roar of the
falls. Aeric immediately found a pool of still water by the shore and lay down to
look at his reflection. Looking back at him were the cold crystalline eyes of his
inner-self, and on his cheek, in indigo, was the symbol from the cave. The ancient
one that Skada thought meant "enlightenment".

"Seems you have yourself some war paint now! Do you feel well?"

Aeric rolled on his back, and swallowed hard. "Aye. It's seems I have been rather
less congenial than I thought."

"Well yes... you didn't have to go underground to find that out."

The two friends laughed all the way back to their mounts.

B

Beatrice Quill

The young scribe shivered, despite the warm night air.
She called Katharine and Spyderbite "friend", but visits to The Tomb always left her uneasy. Still, Otto had needed her to help him deliver a message, and so she had.

It had been a strange few days.

Her sister in the spirit had volunteered to Otto to infiltrate the "true" Britannians, and had managed to rise high enough in the ranks to evesdrop on several of the officers - and even a few conversations in the throne room itself.

Otto's suspicions had been confirmed - and worse.

The leaders of the Britannians saw the warring clans as mercenaries, nothing more. Not duely appointed soldiers, not gatherers of taxes - just useful hirelings. And then, there was the dark robed woman, meeting with Huggibear and Squid in the shadows of the courtyard last night... the woman with the glowing red gem around her neck. The one who spoke of the overthrow of the Britannians AND all who opposed them. A familiar, terrifying name...

The young spy had successfully taken the scroll that the dark woman had handed to Squid from his pack, and replaced it with a set of laundry instructions. She smiled wryly when she thought of their co-conspirator's reaction to being asked to wash their delicates in warm soapy water, but hurried to get the scrolls back to Beatrice.

Upon reading the correspondence, Beatrice hurried to Otto, who, in turn, turned a deathly hue of white.

After some thought he said "I will inform the Knights of this... but the ones who truly need to know, I regret to say, are those false rulers of the realm. But, for a newly appointed Squire of the Silver Serpents to approach the castle - or even a known employee and associate - would be death."

He dictated a short letter to her.

"Take this to Spyderbite. He is used to the shadows, even though he now embraces the light. Perhaps he will have some ideas... when he is done clearing the air with Maleeka."

He rose, and headed to the temple to pray. Waka were indeed a threat - but not the one they had all supposed.

Still, the council was right in one regard. They would not accept the Wakkan terms of rule and taxation - why should they accept their terms of warfare?

He made a mental note to stop by the armory on the way back from the temple. There were swords to forge, and breastplates to enhance.

War it was, but not on the enemy's terms.

Beatrice shivered again, and drew her cloak tightly around her, as she left the scrolls and writings securely in The Tomb, and headed back out into the night.

G

Grot

To the Wakayama Clan,

Your attacks on the Citizens of Wispwood and our allies and friends will no longer be tolerated. You are naught but invaders, marauders and murderers. The Shire is small, and its government a slow process, but enough is enough. Accept our terms or bother us no further.

Grot,
Lord of Wispwood

M

Mandolin

"Katharine", said SpyderBite somberly, "I have something important to speak with Maleeka about. Will you excuse us?".

The Vampiress placed a hand on her hip, lips pursed, "I will not".

Spyder was too exhausted to argue with his wife, which in itself was often pointless anyways, "Kat.."

"She already knows.. here", She tossed the empty vial across the room at him. He caught it and looked at his wife, then Maleeka, confused.

Maleeka stepped forward, smiling warmly at him while the Vampire stared at the empty vial, a thousand thoughts clouding his mind.

"Spyder", said the Crafter, her hands held outward to him, "come here".

SpyderBite approached her and took her hands in his own, "Forgive me", was all he could manage to say.

Maleeka's smile widened, "There's nothing to forgive. You did what you did for me with the best intentions in mind", she frowned slightly, "It was not necessarily the smartest choice.. but your motives were genuine".

She looked deep in to his dark brown, almost black eyes as they welled with tears. Prophets have said that when a Vampire cries, it means he's been reunited with his Soul. Maleeka smiled and dismissed it as an old wive's tale. Spyder's Soul had never left him.

"Your spell was for naught", she said, trying to keep from crying herself, "You cannot bewitch one with devotion, when devotion already exists".

SpyderBite's brow wrinkled at her words, more confused than before, he listened as she continued.

"I have buried many painful memories very, very deep inside me", she squeezed his hands, "Your spell may not have accomplished its intended effect. But, its done much more. You and I have always had a connection. One that neither of us could put a finger on.."

"Oh!! Just tell him!!!", shouted Katharine, bouncing where she stood.

Both the Crafter and the Vampire shot warning glances her way. Pouting, she crossed her arms and began tapping her foot impatiently.

"Marius"

SpyderBite felt unsure of his feet, his vision blurred slightly, and Maleeka had to steady him before he fell. The name she had spoken shook his very being. It was the name of the Shadow that haunted his dreams for as long as he could remember.

Stepping back from her uneasily, he collected himself. "Where did you hear that name, woman?"

Maleeka smiled at him, her own tears flowing freely now.

"I heard our mother speak it when you were you were born, Brother".

SpyderBite sat on his throne of human bones, unable to absorb all that had just transpired. In an attempt to distract himself, he walked over to the air tight chest which he and Kat stored their cache of blood.

Pulling two vials from the chest, he uncorked one and drank deeply as he returned to his throne. He stopped in his tracks however; something was out of place. A large white scroll lay on the floor with a book placed atop it. Finishing the vial, he set them both aside and walked over to where the book and scroll lay.

The scroll was a message from Minax herself. He could feel the magic course through it. Confused, he reached down and picked up the book, opening it, he immediately recognized the handwriting. Otto.

He scanned past the pleasantries which often preceded Otto's missives. A talk of a spies, Waka soldiers, ah.. the scroll! His agent had obtained the message from a Wakayama!

He looked back at the scroll in his other hand and read it..

..in order to bring about the downfall of the Britannians!

He referred back to Otto's message...

And so, I leave this evidence in your hands. I am sure you will know what to do with it.

He read Otto's missive in entirety and walked backwards until he fell back in his throne once again. So much information in one evening. There was much to be done. And there was little time to accomplish it all.

G

Ginsu-SP

After their experience at Lac Clair Aeric and Skada were taking their time getting
home. It was nice to be in the wilds, away from the war for a bit. Aeric was taking
it all in... the air, the birds, the blueness of the sky... there was so much to enjoy
and it could all be taken away in the blink of an eye.

Half day dreaming, Aeric was startled when a mottled pigeon suddenly flew to
his shoulder in a frenzy of wings flapping, and feathers brushing his face. He did
well to stay in the saddle.

The riders stopped in a small clearing. The sunlight penetrated the dense canopy
of the forest in shafts. Aeric took the message from the pigeon and read. After
a moment he looked up at Skada... choked with tears, handing her the slip of
parchment which she read aloud.

"Dear cousin,

Return to Myth with all haste.
Drexton and Leif have been killed.
You are needed here.

Nuriko"

Skada handed the parchment back to Aeric, and patted his hand one time. She
kicked her heels hard into her ridgeback's sides... and the two set off immediately
toward home at a gallop.

After riding hard most of the day and part of the night the lights of Myth finally
came into view. Usually this sight filled Aeric with pride, and good feelings. But
now... riding into town... every sight, every building, every rock, every tree held
memories of his fallen brothers.

Aeric and Skada went directly to the tavern where everyone was gathered for a
wake for Drexton and Leif. The sight of Aeric's eyes, and the mark on his face...
coupled with the sadness of the day caused the place to fall silent when the pair
entered the room. Aeric went directly to Nuriko and embraced her... both weeping.

"I feel so guilty..." sobbed Nuriko "I sent them to Vesper to gather supplies for the
Mayfaire... I should have kept everyone here until your return."

"Nonsense!" said Aeric patting his cousin's back gently "this is my fault if anyone's".

Aeric looked around the room at the sad faces.
"Do we know how they died? Was it WAKA?"

Greenwolf spoke up "It could have been anyone, or anything that killed them. I saw
no sign of WAKA, or anyone else for that matter, when I found them."

Aeric nodded sadly. Suddenly he was overcome by a wave of guilt. How irresponsible
of him to chase these virtue quests while war raged.
"My friends... my family... I beg your forgiveness. I have been trying to do too
much too soon, and now this is the dread return. It is important to raise the Ancient
Order... but more important to safeguard hearth and home."

Aeric then turned from them, downcast, walked to Hatchett Hall and collapsed in
his chair by the fireplace. Ginsu followed him, and sat down wordlessly next to
him. The two sat like that for quite some time, then Aeric broke the silence.

"IT IS ALL MY FAULT!" he roared.

Ginsu stood, and turned so he was facing his half brother.

"Listen to me brother. Fate is fate. You can no more change it than you could
stop the sun from rising. You may have sent them to Vesper, just as Nuri did
had you been here."

"I WOULD HAVE RIDDEN WITH THEM!"

"Perhaps you would have... perhaps you would have met the same fate."

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR!" shouted Aeric, his face now red with anger.

"You have done nothing dishonorable brother." Ginsu sat on the floor at Aeric's
feet and poked at the coals in the fireplace.

"I am going to stop the virtue quests, and concentrate on fortifying the village."

"No, you will continue with the quests, and fortify the village. It is of the
utmost importance to raise the Ancient Order."

Aeric was silent for a moment.

"I know you are very sad about Drexton and Leif right now, but you cannot let
that deter you from your destiny." Ginsu had stoked up a small flame now and
the light played off his face refecting brightly in his eyes.

"My experiences with Shad, and the reflecting pool have been incredible."

"Yes... I almost did not recognize you. You may be completely changed by the
time you finish what you must. What virtue had you planned next?"

"I had thought Humility..."

"Then Humility it is. Have you chosen a mentor?"

"No... have you a suggestion?"

"Yes, SpyderBite."

"SpyderBite!? That was not a name I expected you to suggest."

Ginsu chuckled "You did not expect to be allied with him now either..."

"This is true. He is more honorable than I once thought... still..."

"He has been shunned by mortal and damned alike... insulted relentlessly, and yet
he keeps moving forward. It does take Humility to constantly deal with accusations,
and reminders of past deeds...and keep forging ahead. Do you believe him to
be an honorable man?"

"Yes... in his vampiric way... yes."

"Then perhaps you should honor him as a friend, and let him guide you on a path
he is very familiar with?"

"Perhaps. Maybe sleep will clear my head, I will decide in the morning." Aeric
stood up. "Thank you brother. You always set me right." And with that Aeric
made his way up to his bed chamber."

G

ate into the night, the old blind man worked his craft, barely stopping to eat.

Finally, after loading the last crate of goods into the Umbra Portal Service cart, and ensuring the young driver had grasped a complete understanding of the instructions, he sent him off into the night. For once, he wished that the curse of Insurance had not been removed from the land - UPS had a long way to go to repair their reputation.

"Lord Otto..." came the quiet voice from the inner rooms of the tower "ye must rest."

"For the thousandth time, dispense with the 'Lord' business, Beatrice. I am no lord, nor do I wish to be. Titles are for the vain - men and women who have no sense of self worth, and seek to protect their feeble egos behind such things."

"Tis also a sign of respect, milo...um..Otto." she replied. "But, that aside, I am very confused. The war rages on all across the land - but it is as if you have put it from your mind. When I heard you working so long into the night, I expected to find swords, shields, and fine armour all about - but that shipment was of clocks, and furniture, cloaks and fine clothes. I am at a loss."

"Tis simple. Most simple indeed. The war has filled the waking minds of all in the land. It rules their daily actions, it rules the way they react to others, it dictates the very choices they make. The ancient ones who spoke of a god of war were not far wrong. There is, and was, no god of war - but man makes a god of war, each time he embraces it.

I know where my heart lies - and I'll not have some false god of war dictate how I spend my time. Thus - business as usual. And business to me, is crafting. If the blood thirsty oafs of the land wish to continue with their excuses to slit each others throats, so be it - but they can do so on their own time."

"But... the spy's report... and the spells... the glamors cast upon the Wakayaman priestess..."

"Aye. I did not say that I was ignoring the war. I merely said that it does not dictate my daily activities to me. It is true, we have received word of a treacherous group within the Wakayamas, who seek to use this war to take control of all four factions - and it is true that those three madmen brought me a strange message while I was lodged at the inn - but for tonight, I have a large order for the shops of the land. Ye may wish to tend to thy own market stalls, perhaps? The information is in good hands. We can not do everything ourselves. A wise man knows his limitations, and a wise leader knows when to delegate. I am no leader - but the truth still holds."

Beatrice frowned. Stubborn, pigheaded old man! If the rest of the land was declaring that they should travel north, he'd be right there, asking why they did not head east. She stalked off into the tower, and spent the rest of the night practicing her magery. Otto might be able to put the war to one side, but if she was attacked, at the very least, her attackers would find a few fireballs forming within their garments.

Y

Yasou Wakayama

The Shogun tried to sit up ... and a pain in his abdomen wrenched him back to the flat. It was sunny and warm ... the gloom and depression of winter had passed completely.

"Don't get up Yasou," spoke a familiar voice "You have been laid up for a week. Your wounds are not yet mended."

The Shogun looked down at his abdomen ... two large scars now marked him, one verticle and one horizontal.

"And what of the war?" The Shogun asked.

The familiar voice responded, "Your brethren have faired well in your absence with victories in the field, but I fear some may be losing control."

"As it is meant to be my lady," The Shogun responded. "Does my clan know I am here?"

"Only Iragael delivered you ... if others know of your location I am not aware. Only Iragael has checked on your progress in person." She responded.

The Shogun nodded. "I appreciate your discretion and your care. I owe you a facor once again it seems I am indebted to you Lady Shalimar. In a few days I should be well enough to return to my brethren, please consider how I will repay you."

The woman said nothing as she left the room and redrew the curtains.

M

Mandolin

..she found several Waka soldiers in and around the castle. One of them was given the attached form by a shadowy figure - a woman, with a glowing red gem about her neck, and asked to deliver it - "In order to bring the downfall of the Britannians!"

SpyderBite closed the book Beatrice had delivered on Otto's behalf and considered the words once again.. for the hundreth time that day. There was betrayel amongst the ranks of the Wakayama Clan. Otto's spy had not named the soldier that was to deliver this message from Minax however. That was going to make this a much more difficult puzzle to figure out.

Blowing out the candle that dripped yellow wax upon the ancient skull it sat upon, the Vampire sat back in his bone throne and welcomed the darkness. While he and Kat had enjoyed the convenience of walking in the day, it had been necessary to have dark lenses crafted for both of them as their eyes still remained sensitive to the daylight. The headaches caused by the exposure were annoying at best, but were distracting enough that he looked forward to the sun setting and the night blanketing the land.

He turned the book in his hand while thinking upon this new information. If its true, and he had no reason to doubt his friend's words, then how could this be used to the Alliance's advantage? He could send missives to various members of the Wakayama Clan who he considered most likely to betray their brethren. The odds were likely however that one mis-sent missive would alert the Wakas of the deeds they did not yet suspect.

Perhaps the wisest course of action would be to allow the betrayel to unfold on its own, weakening the Wakayama Clan from the inside. They face many foes right now. To fight a two sided war, one within their own camp as well as out on the field, would surely tilt the scales against the tyranny.

SpyderBite stood and straightened out the long white robes about him. Opening a gold coffer on a table next to Katharines throne, he placed the book within for her to read when she had returned from her own mission. He hoped she was alright and didn't risk being revealed to taunt the Wakayama's she was sent to spy on. Somehow he knew otherwise. Shaking his head, he placed the bright white spectacles over his eyes and stepped out in to the sunlight of the afternoon.

G

Ginsu-SP

Angel's Song
a collage of work from Aeric, Nuriko, and Morning

Nuriko wiped the last glass dry, and put it away.There had been a
large crowd, and tending bar had kept her busy, and occupied her
mind.

Now the Golden Ingot was empty and quiet, and she was alone with
her thoughts. She remembered the last conversation with Leif. He
was excited about a new maneuver he had learned. He was to show
her how it worked on his return.

She sat at the bar, poured herself a sherry and began to weep.
After a good cry she made her way up to her roof garden. Staring
out at the starry sky she remembered Drexton, and Leif... and
rocked until she drifted off.

In her sleep Nuriko shuddered, she was alone in the dark. Mists
swirled around her, making the path she walked hard to see. Twice
she stumbled over some unseen obstacle. Then suddenly, as only
happens in dreams, she found herself at the edge of the sea. Out
on the horizon, bathed in the glow of moonbeams, a ship sailed.
The sea was red as if fresh blood. A voice whispered in her ear...
'This sea runs red with the blood of the innocents what path do ye walk?'

Nuriko woke with a start. The cool night air was chilling her...
something else had made her shiver as well. Now she was wide awake
again... and something was compelling her to walk. She made her way
downstairs, and out into the village paths, stopping to look at the front
of the saloon in the dark. She was very proud of her new place... but
even her beautiful saloon didn't make her smile.

Her steps took her to the starry void and she began to slowly walk it's edge.
The edge always cleared her mind, and left her a bit dizzy. She walked,
and walked... and before she realized it, was standing in front of Morning's
house.

Morning was new to the Guardians, and she did not know him well. He
had come back to Myth with Aeric from the last battle. Dawn was beginning
to break, and Nuriko turned to walk back toward the saloon.

"Well hello there!" came a voice from the shadows of the porch... and
Morning stepped out into the yard.

"Hello... sorry to disturb you, I was just out for a walk." and Nuriko began
to walk away.

"You've not disturbed me dear lady... please, you seem upset. Why do
you walk away... please stay and talk."

Nuriko turned slowly, eyes welled with tears, her face telling of the trials
that she had endured.

"I have lost two dear friends, it is my fault... and my burden to bear."
Nuriko began to walk away. "I walk... ", her voice trailed off, leaving
Morning to look around at where it may have gone as the first rays of
sunlight broke the horizon.

Morning shook his head. He took his new friend by her listless hand and
turned her towards him. Her eyes cast down a shadow covering
everything nearby. The shadow swallowed landscapes, movements, sounds and
left only embers shaking off the fires of their previous lives. Morning stole
a glance into those low-land eyes. He saw angels dancing where they
used to be.

"Did you see the angels laughing and dancing in your eyes?"

"Angels?"

"Angels... I see them. They don't seem to know how sad you are, we all
are. They are dancing, laughing; and I can almost hear the music they
move to. Here, see this."

Morning pushed a few belongings around in his bag, settling in on an old
mirror. Polishing the glass on the sleeves of his arcane robe, he handed
the mirror to his friend.

"See that?"

"Angels? I see no angels in my eyes... only leaves falling and winds picking
them up, sending them to the Void."

"Please, Nuriko. You didn't even look, did you? Please, look again... am I
mad to see angels where you see the Void?"

Nuriko stopped, holding the mirror before her, and looked deeply into her
eyes, looking carefully for those beings her friend said made mirth in
place of sadness. A vampire bat flew overhead, heading in the same
direction as the Guardians, towards their village of hope. As it flew by,
the rays of the sun shifted documenting its flight and casting playful
lights upon the face of the lovely Nuriko.

"I see two leaves falling from a Great tree. They fall to the song of the
rivers where I swim. I see them as they fall and I encourage them on
their way."

The warrior maiden paused as she studied her eyes.

"The winds change and the songs of the rivers cease. The leaves are
taken up violently, against their will, by foreign winds... what have I
allowed... ?", her voice trembles. She looked away in disbelief, stooping
her heavy burdens to the ground.

"Are we done; is that all you see? I hear the rivers song is still sung.
Listen. I see the leaves are not lost. Look."

The angels looked right into Nuriko as she looked right into them. She
saw them at last, as the light of the sun left her warmer for such a cold
day in Spring. The angels danced and sang and their song grew stronger
as Nuriko absorbed their mirth, a song old as the rivers guiding their revelry.

"I could almost laugh", said Nuriko while a tear left her eyes.

The Guardians turned to the sun and to their village as the songs from
that direction slowly joined in perfect harmony with the songs in the war-woman's
eyes. All told, the young warriors felt that there was yet cause for celebration
in the lands. Winter leaving, Spring coming in.

G

Ginsu-SP

I really enjoyed this.

I think it's worth another look.

Cheers!