• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A potential alternative to Insurance on Siege...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
all this talk bout needing a vendor selling suits is bs, bo has had the same suits on Bo's vendor for the last month. No one has bought them. They are really good suits at a steal of a price, people make there own or have a guildie make them. Why pay for something when you can get it for free.
Maybe it do not have the right mods for the buyer. I always sell more suits after an IDOC, so if we could get more players and more PvP, I would sell better :)

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 2 cents some of the topics that popped up in this thread... ok, a few cents (I was bored - waiting for Mrs. Rue Tor).

Most shards want a thriving population.

To gain population here, more than likely it will have to come from another shard. Brand new players are not the norm - this game has become very complex for a new player. A player has limited time during a normal week, so how do you get them to try the shard. How is playing on this shard a better experience or a more unique experience than a production shard?

A) Kat: “UO has become a very item based game” “…no one, no matter your playstyle, wants to farm for days on end and spend tons of time on acceptable replacement gear only to lose it again 10 minuts later.” In a very simplistic reader’s digest fashion, I believe this is where Trammel and Insurance came from.

B) Kat: “Many of those people took to hide/stealth to protect their gear…” and Bo: “…stealth is a huge problem on siege it has been op for years.” So true…

C) SpyderBite: “…truth is that the developers will never dedicate the time to programming such a system for Siege.” So true… tweaks would be more realistic.

D) Rico: “…On a selfish note, I'd like to see containers stealable again.” Make containers stealable if the are underweight as long as the damage from a full tinkered explosion trapped is boosted up to kill anyone easily in a 70 suit. Always loved watching someone die while snooping my pack or opening their new container. “..oh and have it tagged as your "last item")..” Last item macro… *Shakes head in disappointment* abuse of game mechanics in my opinion.

E) Troop: “Leave things as they are. Any attempt to fix anything will probably just screw it up further.” So true…

F) Kat: “All worn or equipped items are non-lootable. They will basically act as if they are blessed, but without a blessed tag. These items include earrings, necklaces, full suit, clothing, shoes, books, sheilds and weapons. Esentially, anything worn or held in the hands.” Technically for Human or Elf that is about 16 blessed items for a fully geared character which leaves me with a very non-Siege risk/reward shard. Just increase the number of Siege bless items to 5 or 6 (should cover most of suit and something for your hand). At the same time remove blessed status from all vet rewards, event spellbooks, etc that give a property boost (i.e., people can still keep their CBD purple shoes)

G) Bo: “…put stealth back to the 8 steps at 120 and have to wait to stealth another 8 for the skill timer.” Agree with this one. There was no stealth in the original game, only hiding. If you want this to be a different experience from a normal production shard, go back to the original game mechanics and eliminate stealth. Putting stealth back to counting steps is a good also.

H) Lore Denin: “…its been impossibly slow setting my character up for pvp …” “…I've been here putting things together on Siege since Nov …” This is the new player experience.

Other Random thoughts:

• Increase bank size to 1000 items and eliminate the extra house on Siege. You only get one house per account, but an increased bank size will help people to check out the shard without consuming open spots.
  • Make a vet reward turn in box to exchange any vet reward for the same year reward prior to unblessing them.
  • Make the gate spell a zero magery skill requirement with a gate scroll. Allows other templates to travel while generating a market for scrolls.
  • Reduce the skill/stat timer gain to .1 every 5 minutes up to maximums. This would be your GGS, but in addition allow increases based on skill use. Does any really care how fast it takes someone to build a character? You want people to play and enjoy the game faster.
  • Reduce Siege vendor fees so items can be stocked readily or put a threshold cap on when vendor fees start increasing (i.e., Total vendor inventory = less than 1 mil = no fee or less percentage). If your vendor total inventory is higher, the fee percentage starts to goes up.
  • If the extra Siege bless items is pushing the limit due to no risk, explore being able to insure only 5 or 6 items from the insurance menu at a higher cost than production shards. Allows people to keep their very expensive items while adding in some gold risk.
  • Update and maintain a better stratics “guild” sticky post on the board for active and guilds and if they are recruiting or not. I know one of the reasons I check out new shards is based on the active guilds – whether you want to try to join them or if you want to oppose them.

Ok… done for now…. Back to Jhelom to try to figure out how to get that Arts Centre out of the city and moved to Moonglow.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all this talk bout needing a vendor selling suits is bs, bo has had the same suits on Bo's vendor for the last month. No one has bought them. They are really good suits at a steal of a price, people make there own or have a guildie make them. Why pay for something when you can get it for free.
One reason the suits sit there might be that people don't know what to type into vendor search...and that vendor search seems to have problems being up to date :-/
Is your vendor at your house in Ter Mur?

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Suits are on a new mag vendor, at holdens house.

And that post by RueTor has to be one of the best posts ever!! Is there anyway we can make sure the devs see that.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As one of the "sheep" on Siege I would hate to see such a change take place.
If I die I want to know that there´s a risk that I could lose everything and if I kill someone I want to be able to loot everything. That is the main reason I came to and stayed on Siege.

I understand that the proposal is about the bigger picture and not just me but what we need is players that want to play Siege for what it is, not make Siege into yet another, albeit tweaked, prodo shard...

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 2 cents some of the topics that popped up in this thread... ok, a few cents (I was bored - waiting for Mrs. Rue Tor).
  • Increase bank size to 1000 items and eliminate the extra house on Siege. You only get one house per account, but an increased bank size will help people to check out the shard without consuming open spots.
  • Make a vet reward turn in box to exchange any vet reward for the same year reward prior to unblessing them.
  • Make the gate spell a zero magery skill requirement with a gate scroll. Allows other templates to travel while generating a market for scrolls.
  • Reduce the skill/stat timer gain to .1 every 5 minutes up to maximums. This would be your GGS, but in addition allow increases based on skill use. Does any really care how fast it takes someone to build a character? You want people to play and enjoy the game faster.
  • Reduce Siege vendor fees so items can be stocked readily or put a threshold cap on when vendor fees start increasing (i.e., Total vendor inventory = less than 1 mil = no fee or less percentage). If your vendor total inventory is higher, the fee percentage starts to goes up.
  • If the extra Siege bless items is pushing the limit due to no risk, explore being able to insure only 5 or 6 items from the insurance menu at a higher cost than production shards. Allows people to keep their very expensive items while adding in some gold risk.
  • Update and maintain a better stratics “guild” sticky post on the board for active and guilds and if they are recruiting or not. I know one of the reasons I check out new shards is based on the active guilds – whether you want to try to join them or if you want to oppose them.

Ok… done for now…. Back to Jhelom to try to figure out how to get that Arts Centre out of the city and moved to Moonglow.
Very much like this post and agree. It hits all the major areas that need to be addressed [I'd add the double resources or lower imbuing costs]. If the items insurable was lowered to 3 with one siege bless(4 total) rather then 5-6 I'd be all in.

I agree with Tjalle that part of siege is the prospect of losing your things and not being able to run around in your super suit - crimson, Slither, LT sash, super quiver, etc etc...

5-6 allows people to use all those types of things AND keep the best parts of their suit/ favorite weapon...

4 items gives more options to players in how they want to outfit their character but still carries considerably risk. It will keep that line between prodo and siege but adjust for how the game has changed and draw more people to the shard.

-Lore

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Was there ever any sort of poll type thread done on the reasons people either don't play Siege or did play Siege and left?

We seem to go round in circles on ideas we think would make Siege more popular(as you maybe know, mine is dropping the char limit), its maybe no good to have people who already play Siege trying to work this one out, we need to know from people who don't.

When I see people on gen chat on Europa going on about how they miss "the good old days before Tram blah blah" etc, I tend to say "why don't you play Siege then", they normally answer with "because its dead", if that is really their opinion rather than an excuse(I suspect the latter) then its a chicken and the egg situation isn't it.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people who we need to ask are the people who left. I came here ten years ago in 2005, about 2 years post AoS and it was a well populated and active shard. I think a number of people started leaving because of frustration with a dev team that was uninterested in fixing key issues on Siege, but there is a lot more to it than that. People leave for different reasons, but I really think the people who played here regularly and ultimately left, are the ones who can answer those questions. They occaisionally come back hoping things have changed, but never stick around for long.

Vaype, who posted above, was a founding member of our guild [TnT/TnA] back in 2005. He touched on some of his reasons. Krystal, who posted on this forum earlier in the week is a former guildmate, as well, and was here long before I ever got here. Spyderbite and Rico were around during that time, as well. I would love to hear from these folks and really anyone who truly played here for a decent amount of time.

People from REV/KOC/OTF and their many incarnations, JSV, VmP, WAKA, MLP, I^A, CWS, KRT, KSS, JD, DTA, PAG, Orc, HEMP, UND, ZEN, B^G, A|B, LEX, BORG, C8V... I give up, I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. It's hard to believe there were ever that many active guilds here at one time.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
4 items gives more options to players in how they want to outfit their character but still carries considerably risk. It will keep that line between prodo and siege but adjust for how the game has changed and draw more people to the shard.
I believe each bonded Pet you have with you, should count as one Siege Bless item, so a tamer with GD will only have 3 choice left. Pets are a tamers weapon.
If we unbless the special spellbooks with mods, all can bless their favorite spellbook.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Was there ever any sort of poll type thread done on the reasons people either don't play Siege or did play Siege and left?
There was a few, but some people set them self before the healthy of the shard.
I believe no matter how we turn it around, it's about items and the problem with replacing them. We need some love to the crafters, so they can fill their vendors without loosing money to vendor fee, getting headache from trying to make suits, not being able to craft a suit without having any skills left for defense.

Just take a skill like Carpentry, it should be for making funitures and other Wooden items. Why do you need tailoring to make a spin or a loom or to make a bed. Let the tailor make the Mattress, duvet and pillow and you can click on one deed for Mattress, duvet and pillow and then target bed deed to put them together, that should not take extra skills.
Multi crafters are not good for the game. When I started playing, I did both have combat skills and 1-2 crafting skills. I stocked my vendor with leather suits on one char and my other one made potions. I had time to PvM/PvP and to take care of my vendors. Now Tina do have tinkering, tailoring, armslore, imbuing, carpentry, smithing etc. Not sure that is good a char can have so many crafting skills.

Guilds would need each others if they had to support each others but with soulstones, it may be to late to changes that. Also PvM and PvP players need all 720 point for their template with no room left for 1-2 crafting skills. I have archery, tactics, anatomy, healing, resist, focus and some magery to get around, I only think I should be able to use 480 point for combat, then I had 240 point left for crafting. Same, make a max for crafting skills at 480 points and they will have 240 left for combat. Why do a warrior need both anatomy and healing to heal and res, there are some support skills, that should go

When I see people on gen chat on Europa going on about how they miss "the good old days before Tram blah blah" etc, I tend to say "why don't you play Siege then", they normally answer with "because its dead", if that is really their opinion rather than an excuse(I suspect the latter) then its a chicken and the egg situation isn't it.
Game have changed so much since then. It's so complicated now, you can't just login, relax with crafting a few items and maybe PvM or PvP a little. If you get a perfect suit and lose 1-2 pieces, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just pick 2 new pieces on a vendor or in guild chest because your resist will be messed up. In old days, you only needed to care if it was exp. and if it was medable or not.
If you was dry looted, you knew, there was a vendor near, who would sell a new suit for a few k, life was much easier.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I had a bit of an idea last night and I haven't quite fleshed it all out, but maybe we could do that together if the idea has any merit. Please bear with me while I go over some of my thoughts on this particular problem.

It has long been my opinion and I think a lot of you and also former Siege players agree that one of the primary problems with Siege has been that over the years, UO has become a very item based game. It started with AoS and grew from there year after year. The suits we put together can be very costly and certain items can be quite difficult to obtain and prodo shards have insurance to protect not only their gear, but pretty much any item they place in their backpacks. Basically EVERYTHING there can be protected from loss. If its not blessed, it can be insured. Plus, if they dont want to live in peril, they can stay in Trammel. We do not have such options. Here... People stop playing, stay in their houses or stealth everywhere. No bueno.

Siege wasn't designed to be played that way. Gameplay was fun back when it was cheap to equip yourself to PvP or Pvm and if you lost whatever battle you happened to be engaged in you went home, licked your wounds, re-equipped, went back out and proceeded to have fun again. The fun of the old days ended when equipping ourselves became heavily item based and suits became very expensive to replace. Pvper's took to house hiding and only coming out when they had larger numbers to PvP with to protect their assets. Faction buybacks became way too frustrating to deal with. Even PvMer's/PvEer's had the same issues. Many of those people took to hide/stealth to protect their gear. Many of the PvPer's left this shard in frustration. It was just too costly to re-equip and no one, no matter your playstyle, wants to farm for days on end and spend tons of time on acceptable replacement gear only to lose it again 10 minuts later. Yet, most of us still do not want insurance. It's too big a pill to swallow. It goes against the very nature of what Siege was meant to be, but... something has to be done. What, is the question of the day!

So the other day I mentioned in another thread that I wished the devs would just roll us back to a pre-AoS verson of Siege, but when I thought about that a little more seriously, I didn't think that was such a hot idea either. Yes, I would love to play a shard like that again, but I would miss all the things I love about the game today. Champ spawns, bosses in the Abyss and imbuing. Necromancy, ninja, busihido and chivalry skills, etc. So I started wondering what might alleviate some of the problems here on Siege and attract more players at the same time... and I came up with some ideas that might be a little more palatable to us.

My idea is similar to having insurance, but on a limited scale and there is a pretty big tradeoff on the flipside. Here is the basic idea:

- All worn or equipped items are non-lootable. They will basically act as if they are insured. These items include earrings, necklaces, full suit, clothing, shoes, books, sheilds and weapons. Esentially, anything worn or held in the hands.

- There is no gold cost involved. [See tradeoff below] This is not insurance. I haven't thought of a name for it yet. Help me out here! :)

- All soulstones, bank checks, spellbooks, runebooks, tokens/gift tickets ethy mounts and charger's of the fallen remain blessed.

The Tradeoff: [And this is going to be huge for Siege thieves!]

- ALL other blessed tags are removed from siege.

Just for clarification, this includes all other vet rewards [not listed above] that are not equipped, all gift items in our out of a bag or box, BOD's, commodity deeds and anything else the game automatically blesses.

- There is no insurance so no item equippable or not can ever be insured for protection.

- The Siege Bless function will be disabled.

- All items that are currently blessed with CBD's will be unblessed.

- CBD's will be removed from the tailoring reward list on Siege.

So the general idea is to get people playing again and not so afraid to leave their houses! Not just PvPer's, EVERYONE! Pvmer's, crafters, thieves, merchants! We all make this shard what it is and we need people to show up, be visible and play. We need to have fun again and not be so worried about losing million dollar suits. We need players, we need community, we need good guys and bad guys again. We need a little more danger in the land of peril! I think these changes, in combination, could give that back to us and... I think these changes, in combination, are also in keeping with the spirit of what is Siege Perilous.

Not only might this be more palatable to older Siege players, but could also draw players from other shards. Here, there will be no rez-killing padding the killer's bank account. The only cost for equipment is your initial cost and/or improvements.

This is the basic idea. It may need a little more fleshing out. Thoughts?

***Edited to add/remove/alter details as needed.

Added that tokens/gift tickets should remain blessed

Removed that equipped items should become stealable. [Unfair to warriors who get disarmed]

Altered wording to state that items would act as if they are insured instead of blessed, which behave differently than insured items upon rezzing.

One side of me: This is all very against the spirit of the shard.

Other side of me: The item system simply does not work with this ruleset.

I'm torn, I don't like it, but something really should be done about how items are handled here.

As for it hurting crafters... is there ANYONE who makes a living selling suits? I really don't think there is. Imbuing for money is basically impossible unless you only take orders, even then as has been said, everyone has an alt anyway, or a guildie with an alt.

Personally it wouldn't effect me, I hardly ever lose stuff, but it would be a bummer, just philosophically. But it isn't quite as bad as insurance.

On the plus side I think it would leave more people open to pvp, (and keep current pvpers in the game and would greatly increase the market for good looted armor pieces.
On the down side general power level would spike, which isn't great in my eyes.

tl;dr: It's a very "not siege" idea, but siege has already been hobbled, so probably wouldn't matter all that much. Shards gotta work.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kat i think your right these are the people that can tell us what they feel is wrong and why they left and man i wish they would come back but we all know whats wrong with the shard too we stayed and dealt with all the problems and changes yes this game has gotten very items based compared to 2005 and our days in TNT but the siege player's mindset has changed alot too.

This is what i mean: TNT if you dont mind i would like to use you as an example because i remember doing this and thought it was awesome kept me in suits all the time: TNT used to have weekly resource gathering that each member had to complete i dont remember the numbers but example each person has to collect 100 barberd leather for this week the next week would be 20 arcane gems and the crafters would make suits and arcane clothing or what ever (i remember mainly Kat dong this but i think others helped to) and there would be a time during the week that the guild would go on a resource gathering hunt together for those that could make it. I thought this was an awesome idea it kept us all in suits and kept us farming resource and basic gameplay ,which IMO is very important, not to mention all the spawns we did to level our guild up. Guilds in siege now a days don't require such things we expect items to be given back to us when we die and if we cant get them back we give up until someone sells us simular items so we can play again. with the new loot system and crafting system suits really aren't that hard to come by if groups would just get out there and play together not just to PVP but to play the rest of the game too

This is what our guilds need to do and what your guild doesn't need throw on vendors so others may obtain what they need too this is what brings people here and stay its seeing people actually play the game

Just my "what siege needs" rant i guess

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Most shards want a thriving population.

To gain population here, more than likely it will have to come from another shard. Brand new players are not the norm - this game has become very complex for a new player. A player has limited time during a normal week, so how do you get them to try the shard. How is playing on this shard a better experience or a more unique experience than a production shard?

A) Kat: “UO has become a very item based game” “…no one, no matter your playstyle, wants to farm for days on end and spend tons of time on acceptable replacement gear only to lose it again 10 minuts later.” In a very simplistic reader’s digest fashion, I believe this is where Trammel and Insurance came from.

B) Kat: “Many of those people took to hide/stealth to protect their gear…” and Bo: “…stealth is a huge problem on siege it has been op for years.” So true…

C) SpyderBite: “…truth is that the developers will never dedicate the time to programming such a system for Siege.” So true… tweaks would be more realistic.

D) Rico: “…On a selfish note, I'd like to see containers stealable again.” Make containers stealable if the are underweight as long as the damage from a full tinkered explosion trapped is boosted up to kill anyone easily in a 70 suit. Always loved watching someone die while snooping my pack or opening their new container. “..oh and have it tagged as your "last item")..” Last item macro… *Shakes head in disappointment* abuse of game mechanics in my opinion.

E) Troop: “Leave things as they are. Any attempt to fix anything will probably just screw it up further.” So true…

F) Kat: “All worn or equipped items are non-lootable. They will basically act as if they are blessed, but without a blessed tag. These items include earrings, necklaces, full suit, clothing, shoes, books, sheilds and weapons. Esentially, anything worn or held in the hands.” Technically for Human or Elf that is about 16 blessed items for a fully geared character which leaves me with a very non-Siege risk/reward shard. Just increase the number of Siege bless items to 5 or 6 (should cover most of suit and something for your hand). At the same time remove blessed status from all vet rewards, event spellbooks, etc that give a property boost (i.e., people can still keep their CBD purple shoes)

G) Bo: “…put stealth back to the 8 steps at 120 and have to wait to stealth another 8 for the skill timer.” Agree with this one. There was no stealth in the original game, only hiding. If you want this to be a different experience from a normal production shard, go back to the original game mechanics and eliminate stealth. Putting stealth back to counting steps is a good also.

H) Lore Denin: “…its been impossibly slow setting my character up for pvp …” “…I've been here putting things together on Siege since Nov …” This is the new player experience.

Other Random thoughts:

I think more 5, 6, or even 7 bless options (suit plus one held item) would indeed be better than everything equipped.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game have changed so much since then. It's so complicated now, you can't just login, relax with crafting a few items and maybe PvM or PvP a little. If you get a perfect suit and lose 1-2 pieces, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just pick 2 new pieces on a vendor or in guild chest because your resist will be messed up. In old days, you only needed to care if it was exp. and if it was medable or not.
If you was dry looted, you knew, there was a vendor near, who would sell a new suit for a few k, life was much easier.
That is exactly the reason I think we need the "Siege Armor Protection" type of non-insurance. Collecting all the required ingredients/resources, then taking time to do all the math calculations for everything, getting the right jewels if they can't be made, etc, has gotten far too time consuming and complicated. Some people like doing that type of thing, some of us don't. I, and many others, fall into the don't category. I hate crafting, yet I have a crafter with just about every crafting skill there is except alchemy. The only reason I made this character was to support my guildmates back when things were still fairly simple. Now I HAVE to have it because its darn near impossible to find anyone else who would take the time and effort to make the types of suites my characters require. When my suit gets looted, I go get rez'd, find my way home and log out. Sometimes for days on end because even when I do have all the required crap to make it [and I rarely do!], I just don't feel like spending an hour or more putting it together. Sometimes thats all the time I have to play and I sure don't want to spend it doing something I do not enjoy.

I'm not even a PvPer. Imagine how they felt about losing a suit or two and having to keep rebuilding suits to get back out and do what they love to do. They didn't. They got tired of it and despite hating prodo insurance, many of them left Siege to PvP on prodo where they didn't have to be so frustrated over losing a suit.

Last edited:

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kat i think your right these are the people that can tell us what they feel is wrong and why they left and man i wish they would come back but we all know whats wrong with the shard too we stayed and dealt with all the problems and changes yes this game has gotten very items based compared to 2005 and our days in TNT but the siege player's mindset has changed alot too.

This is what i mean: TNT if you dont mind i would like to use you as an example because i remember doing this and thought it was awesome kept me in suits all the time: TNT used to have weekly resource gathering that each member had to complete i dont remember the numbers but example each person has to collect 100 barberd leather for this week the next week would be 20 arcane gems and the crafters would make suits and arcane clothing or what ever (i remember mainly Kat dong this but i think others helped to) and there would be a time during the week that the guild would go on a resource gathering hunt together for those that could make it. I thought this was an awesome idea it kept us all in suits and kept us farming resource and basic gameplay ,which IMO is very important, not to mention all the spawns we did to level our guild up. Guilds in siege now a days don't require such things we expect items to be given back to us when we die and if we cant get them back we give up until someone sells us simular items so we can play again. with the new loot system and crafting system suits really aren't that hard to come by if groups would just get out there and play together not just to PVP but to play the rest of the game too

This is what our guilds need to do and what your guild doesn't need throw on vendors so others may obtain what they need too this is what brings people here and stay its seeing people actually play the game

Just my "what siege needs" rant i guess

That is exactly why I made my crafter. I was happy to make all that stuff for you guys and keep the supply house equipped. It's far too complicated to do that now. Every template and it's various options requires different types of suits. I suppose we could do basic suits with LRC or some other basic things, but heck, even I wear template speciffic suits now. Sure loved those day though, Sprago. Wish we could get back to having fun like we did back then. Good times! :)

Last edited:

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should have a system that allows people to wear a basic suit without fear of losing it.

We could allow insurance on items you wear that have an imbuing weight of 400 or less.

This way insurance would not cover uber suits or max property imbued suits.

Zalfein

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have a problem with item insurance, I don't like it cost money and I don't like the killer get money, I rather see 6-7 Siege bless, where pet out of stable use one each if they are bonded. If you die, this items goes to your bank. If you don't like that, you can just run without Siege Blessing them and remove blessing from all spellbooks with mods, so you have to use a Siege Bless for them.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is exactly why I made my crafter. I was happy to make all that stuff for you guys and keep the supply house equipped. It's far too complicated to do that now. Every template and it's various options requires different types of suits. I suppose we could do basic suits with LRC or some other basic things, but heck, even I wear template speciffic suits now. Sure loved those day though, Sprago. Wish we could get back to having fun like we did back then. Good times! :)
Yeah I lost my crafter alt, and started playing again afterward and realized I basically HAD to have imbuing if I was going to play at all, so I just got it on a SS. I don't have any crafting skills, just imbuing heh.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a problem with item insurance, I don't like it cost money and I don't like the killer get money, I rather see 6-7 Siege bless, where pet out of stable use one each if they are bonded. If you die, this items goes to your bank. If you don't like that, you can just run without Siege Blessing them and remove blessing from all spellbooks with mods, so you have to use a Siege Bless for them.
Really dislike the pet idea. Pets aren't the same as weapons. You can just crank out 49 of the same exact weapon with the same exact mods, and you're good to go. Finding a good pet can take a realllllly long time if you care, and training takes a long time too, especially for weaker pets like spiders or whatever.

Also requiring a bless deed to bond a pet just punishes people who use anything but a greater dragon. A pack of anything for example would take all of your blessings.

Not to mention the emotional attachment some players have for their pixel pets.

It doesn't add to the fun, and tamers are not currently an issue balance wise. If anything tamers need a buff, not a nerf.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Also requiring a bless deed to bond a pet just punishes people who use anything but a greater dragon. A pack of anything for example would take all of your blessings.
No no, I mean if you run around with a bonded pet, you will get one less bless to use for other items. If I'm on my beetle, and we say, we get 7 Siege Bless, I will only have 6 left to use.
I can still use my beetle as normal and it won't effect the bonding, only how many bless slot I have. It won't bless the items in the beetle.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... I don't have any crafting skills, just imbuing heh.
I've heard this a couple of times. Landreu is tied to my main Chessie account and will stay active and has blacksmithing, tailoring, and tinkering. What un-imbued plain iron and leather gear would be handy to have on a vendor for those who only have Imbuing skill? Bracelets, Rings, and what else?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For pets, the bonding process already makes it sort of "blessed" since the owner can't lose it. Besides, a player would likely use a Siege Bless on his pet ball if we had more blesses to use. I don't see any need to require bonded pets to be blessed.

In any case, if I end up having to use a bless on a bonded pet, the thing damned well better not bark at any of my commands or run off after something 6 screens away when I command it to kill something that is attempting to kill ME! Yeah, when was the last time you saw a warrior's weapon pull that kind of nonsense in the middle of ANY type of battle? :lame:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I forgot of the pet ball, as I'm not a tamer

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No no, I mean if you run around with a bonded pet, you will get one less bless to use for other items. If I'm on my beetle, and we say, we get 7 Siege Bless, I will only have 6 left to use.
I can still use my beetle as normal and it won't effect the bonding, only how many bless slot I have. It won't bless the items in the beetle.
No, I know what you are saying, I'm saying tamers don't need that nerf.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've heard this a couple of times. Landreu is tied to my main Chessie account and will stay active and has blacksmithing, tailoring, and tinkering. What un-imbued plain iron and leather gear would be handy to have on a vendor for those who only have Imbuing skill? Bracelets, Rings, and what else?
Yeah I'm always having to pester people for GM stuff to imbue :p. Studded suits and weapons (ones with armor ignore, double strike, whirlwind) are usually what I'm looking for.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of people left the game just because they didn't like the direction the game had taken. For me, Siege was the closest thing to original UO left. New skills and expansions changed the whole feel of the game and I watched veterans slowly quit. The only way to regain those old players is to turn the clock back on Ultima Online and invest in some sort of a classic shard. You would be amazed at just how many old Siege players are still active - just playing on different servers that suit their play styles more. I have seen players from a ton of old guilds like OTF, KOC, Blackoak Brigade, UND, Orc, Ork, DTA, Vmp, KSS, JD and TnT introducing themselves. It's just a shame they won't return to SP.

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kat - I like the general idea you are speaking/suggesting on making it easier to re-equip suits/gear. But I am very weary of any kind of additional blessings. I wish there was some other way, as someone said to turn back the time a bit.

To me, additional blessings take away too much of death penalty. As we all know, when we die (except for the siege blessed and few other blessed items that infected Siege), all of our items drop for free loot. This gives immediate rewards in PvP and *used to be* very synergistic with the amazing crafting system before it got so complicated.

Of all the other MMO games I have played, this (in particular Siege) is the only one that doesn't baby everyone on death. When you die in those other games, all one usually gets is a temporary de-buff. Sure that allows more players to PvP and get back in the action quickly, but it ruins the game for those who genuinely want to be victorious. With such low stakes upon dying, you don't have much to lose and the winner doesn't have much to gain. If I barely escape death, I want to be thanking my lucky stars that I didn't lose my favorite helm or other piece...not just shrugging off one death from the next and re-upping a few bandies/pots. I worry with blessings and such too much of the adrenaline is lost.

If people like that kind of play, they have already found it in the newer games and I am not sure they would come back to Siege if even such a drastic rule set change were to take place.

But yes, this game is pointless without other people to interact with, so whatever needs to make that happen should. I just wish there was a better compromise.

As a side recommendation, I thought I might contribute this small idea to see if it has any hold:
Maybe one simple thing that could be done to help a bit is remove the idea of "luck" from Siege. Either default us all to have max luck as a base attribute or take away luck calculations in giving loot. That way we can easily farm very high end pieces to make back-up suits.

Last edited:

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm right there with you, Holden. We feel pretty much the same way about it. I was just trying to think outside the box a little and find some sort of solution, but who knows if it would bring very many back to Siege.

I never much liked the idea of whole "luck" attribute. I wouldn't mind seeing it removed and giving everyone the max.

Another idea might just be to put all imbuing ingredients on town vendors on Siege. I suppose not having to put in all those tedious hours into farming up all the required ingredients might make it less of a chore to create and replace suits! Plus, crafters would have easier access to the ingredients.

I still think Doom and all other major and minor artifacts should have much, much higher drop rates on Siege and the "cursed" property should be removed here, as well. I never understood why, with only 1 bless option, anything would be cursed on Siege. Cursed or not, everything is lootable anyway.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
For me the ability to loot or not doesn't really affect my enjoyment of PvP, I find fights just as intense in Fel on carebear as I do on Siege, Ill still get a rush if I win or even just survive, I don't loot players anyway, the feeling of relief etc is enough and I don't need their stuff.

I think if going to have a system like this you may as well just go the whole way and have insurance, that even rewards the winner of a fight with a load of insurance money anyway so its not like there is no practical gain for a win, plus it seems to have been forgotten that many things are cursed(like PS/SoTs etc), so there is still loot to be had for champ spawn raiders etc.

The problem with blessing and insurance is it creates a wider gear gap, I recently started duelling other mages on Europa so I could get some mage vs mage experience and I noticed how massively they out-gear me(yes I'm poor there but similar gear I have on siege), the gear they are in costs millions and takes them to the cap on many things, they can wear all these things because they can insure them, on Siege it would be a very brave man who would risk losing all that stuff so in general you can get a closer "fairer" fight on Siege, no need to spend forever farming money for gear to be able to compete in PvP.
Even though I don't personally loot people, I like that the possibility is there because it keeps gear at a level that makes PvP more accessible to all.

Having said all this, the main reason I like Siege is the global Fel ruleset, it would not really bother me that much if they introduced insurance or a similar system, infact Id gladly swallow it in return for Siege becoming simply a Fel ruleset version of the regular shards in every respect including char allowance and the extra house removal.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... for Siege becoming simply a Fel ruleset version of the regular shards in every respect including char allowance and the extra house removal.
They should at least require you to log into Siege to refresh the extra house every few months. The 2nd houses many have placed here will sit unused taking up house locations here for as long as the player has an account and plays prodo, never to be visited again. If they don't play Siege, the 2nd houses should go IDOC and go away, freeing up house locations for those who actually play Siege.

Reactions: Kat

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
siege should be pre aos ... and call it a day... maybe add new lands but keep pre ruleset
Ah the AoS name, always think of it has Act of Stupidity. It did certainly cast an age of shadows on the game that darkens this world more and more as time goes by.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should at least require you to log into Siege to refresh the extra house every few months. The 2nd houses many have placed here will sit unused taking up house locations here for as long as the player has an account and plays prodo, never to be visited again. If they don't play Siege, the 2nd houses should go IDOC and go away, freeing up house locations for those who actually play Siege.
That was exactly what we requested, but that is not how the dev team implemented the idea. Now we have all these blank plots and unused houses taking up space and the owner doesn't even play here. We all knew that is exactly what would happen if the 2nd house didn't have to be refreshed. :wall:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem with blessing and insurance is it creates a wider gear gap, I recently started duelling other mages on Europa so I could get some mage vs mage experience and I noticed how massively they out-gear me(yes I'm poor there but similar gear I have on siege), the gear they are in costs millions and takes them to the cap on many things, they can wear all these things because they can insure them, on Siege it would be a very brave man who would risk losing all that stuff so in general you can get a closer "fairer" fight on Siege, no need to spend forever farming money for gear to be able to compete in PvP.
Even though I don't personally loot people, I like that the possibility is there because it keeps gear at a level that makes PvP more accessible to all.

Having said all this, the main reason I like Siege is the global Fel ruleset, it would not really bother me that much if they introduced insurance or a similar system, infact Id gladly swallow it in return for Siege becoming simply a Fel ruleset version of the regular shards in every respect including char allowance and the extra house removal.
Well said! I also think blessing everything siply creates a wider gap between the haves and have nots. At least the haves risk loosing all their uber equipment to a gank with only 1 item blessable.

I am still convinced that higher drop rates for ingredients and artifacts would solve our problem and at the same time attrackt more players. And it would be so easy to implement...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
An other problem with allowing more blessed items are, we will have much harder with handle troublemakers, if we can't make player justice via killing and dryloot.
I remember we had some problems with the blessed annu 7 items, the bunny ears and orange legs. There was a reason, we did choose to get rid of this blessed combat items.
I think, if we can solve it with cheaper resources and make items easier to replace, it would be better.

Last edited: