• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a little help to finish my Sampire template

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Hi :)

I returned 3 months ago after 15 years and we know, everything changed :) I tried to update my chars to the modern times but I feel I still miss something, that I don't know or understand.
My sampire actually can handle lots of stuff solo but there are still some mobs that instakills me, or the champ spawns ... even the paragons poison ellys and rams on the last deceit event was impossibile to me.
So, can you help me to fine tune my stats, skills and equip ?
I'm not really rich, so buying cameos or very expensive equip is actually very difficult to me (I have around 250mil in the bank, poor me).
I have a legendary smith/tailor - gm tinker/carpenter and I'm working on 120 imbuing to eventually help building the parts of armors I need.

On this image there is my character sheet , skills and equipment.
I basically think I need a Scroll of Valiant Commendation and fine tune the stats (how?), raise tactics to 120 (is really a difference?) and refine the skills with jewels and of course better armor (arms, chest, gorget, gloves) that now is a jumble of different materials.

samaelnamnthar..jpg

Thank you !

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You only have 22 lower mana cost, I would try get that up to the 40 cap. You can get it even higher with the LMC bonus from armour, but it has to be non medable armour.
Any armour with the mage armor property becomes medable. You can remove it for 250k per item at a mage guild master. I'm not sure if woodland armour gets the LMC and stamina protection bonus like studded / bone and metal armour.

I would also change the mace and shield glasses for one of the metal versions from Blackthorns dungeon. The glasses are medable so they give no LMC or stamina protection bonus but the metal versions do.

Your hit points are low, I don't see any on your armour, for the harder hitting opponents you need closer to 150.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Your hp is low. Get a crimson cinture. Easy to get if you farm blackthorns. If you want to stick with animated legs of the insane tinker, it fits best with jumus sacred hide and cameo. I know cameo is expensive so id save up and buy the cheapest one you can find. Do consider what you hunt because the opposite slayer will wreck you. (I.e repond vs undead). With those three items, your DI will be a nice 50 percent. The other 50 DI will come from your rings/bracelet or weapon.

For SSI, you can settle for 20 ssi but i recommend going for 35. To get there, you can use tinker legs, morphis eppaulette, ring or bracelet, then cameo gives last 5. That should put you at 35ssi.

After you get a crimson cinture, you will want more hp gear. Since morphius epp adds 8 stam, you can sacrifice a stam piece on your armor for a legendary with +5 or 7 hp.

btw you can remove mage armor off. You dont get the passive lmc bonus or stam protection from gear if it has mage armor.

Last edited:

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
You only have 22 lower mana cost, I would try get that up to the 40 cap. You can get it even higher with the LMC bonus from armour, but it has to be non medable armour.
Any armour with the mage armor property becomes medable. You can remove it for 250k per item at a mage guild master. I'm not sure if woodland armour gets the LMC and stamina protection bonus like studded / bone and metal armour.

I would also change the mace and shield glasses for one of the metal versions from Blackthorns dungeon. The glasses are medable so they give no LMC or stamina protection bonus but the metal versions do.

Your hit points are low, I don't see any on your armour, for the harder hitting opponents you need closer to 150.
Thx you Odin :)
Mind you, I was thinking that a medable armor was mana protecting and non medable stamina protection :D All clear now :) I don't know if it's worth the 250ks to remove the mage armor from the pieces i'm using now tho ...

I know about the blackthorn's variant of the M&S ... but I play on Europa and there's only one for sale now and I think it's pretty expensive ... It's still possible to obtain from the captains ?

Your hp is low. Get a crimson cinture. Easy to get if you farm blackthorns. If you want to stick with animated legs of the insane tinker, it fits best with jumus sacred hide and cameo. I know cameo is expensive so id save up and buy the cheapest one you can find. Do consider what you hunt because the opposite slayer will wreck you. (I.e repond vs undead). With those three items, your DI will be a nice 50 percent. The other 50 DI will come from your rings/bracelet or weapon.

For SSI, you can settle for 20 ssi but i recommend going for 35. To get there, you can use tinker legs, morphis eppaulette, ring or bracelet, then cameo gives last 5. That should put you at 35ssi.

After you get a crimson cinture, you will want more hp gear. Since morphius epp adds 8 stam, you can sacrifice a stam piece on your armor for a legendary with +5 or 7 hp.

btw you can remove mage armor off. You dont get the passive lmc bonus or stam protection from gear if it has mage armor.
Thx you Tabin :)
I was thinking indeed to swap the obi with the cinture ... but I don't know if my char as of today is able to face the captains .. I'll try :)
do you think it's worth to spend the 250ks on my pieces of armor ?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Mind you, I was thinking that a medable armor was mana protecting and non medable stamina protection :D All clear now :) I don't know if it's worth the 250ks to remove the mage armor from the pieces i'm using now tho ...

I know about the blackthorn's variant of the M&S ... but I play on Europa and there's only one for sale now and I think it's pretty expensive ... It's still possible to obtain from the captains ?

Thx you Tabin :)
I was thinking indeed to swap the obi with the cinture ... but I don't know if my char as of today is able to face the captains .. I'll try :)
do you think it's worth to spend the 250ks on my pieces of armor ?
250k gold isnt much these days. I wouldnt spend it on your current gear though. You need armor with 8lmc ideally. So far only your bone arms has that. Crafting could get you better gear with 5hp 8stam 8mana 5hci or dci and 8lmc. Gotta use runic tool to get the 5hci and dci. Powder to get 255 durability. Imbue to get hp,mana,stam,lmf stats. Then use cash shop tool to guarantee enhance to fill out missing resistances.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Everyone used to use leather armour as you can meditate with it and regenerate mana faster, the other armour's had no benefits. But there was an armour revamp that added the LMC and stamina protection bonuses.

I use 5 metal parts for the max stamina protection bonus and 1 studded for the extra LMC bonus.

You can still get the drops from captains to hand in for Blackthorns versions of mace and shield glasses, I was in there Sunday with my guild.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
If you can, read the 17:48 Rikki thread in the warrior forum. I put a ton of information on getting better gear cheap, and how to search for it in vendor search.
Do you have a tamer? With a luck suit? Farm swoop to upgrade with major arties.

Find a Shadowguard crew to do roof with.

Farm Rotten Corpses for 2 mod jewels with 10 SSI, imbue to fill gaps. You can see in my thread what I put on the jewels. For you, resisting spells, anatomy, parry, 10 SSi and 15 HCI.

Drop anatomy for resisting spells. That was probably a major reason you died, from mana vamp / drain and paralyze. Resisting spells BOTH gives you a chance to not be affected AND reduces the duration of the effect. Use Evasion every chance you get too.

Drop chiv to 70-75, put that into parry. You are probably getting hit more than you can leech because of a lack of parry and 120 Bushi.

I don't see a screenie of your weapons. At a guess, I would say you have SSI on the, which lowers your survivability because of the lower leeches. Use the stratics combat calc to figure out your 1.25 max and min stamina for your current weapons, then rebuild them around that. Also, you probably are using the damage increase. With juumu's, you will gain 20%. If you take the DI off the weps (pre-imbue) then you can add an extra property. For a double axe, Hit area, slayer, HLL, HML, HSL is a good default. It is a 3.25 weapon, so 180 stam and 20 SSI will get you to 1.25 swings. You could forego the HLL and put on hit lightning as well for more damage that you can leech from.

Stormgrips are fairly common and a cheap alternative to the Gauntlets of Feudal Grip. Plus a little luck bump. With that and Juumu's and Duelist's edge you won't need Di on your weapon anymore.

Talisman - Looks like a mana phasing orb? Get 300K trash points and get the duelist's edge talisman. Farm lich room in doom for demon bones and tmaps for turn in points.

DUELIST’S EDGE
ANATOMY +10
Stamina Regeneration 2
Hit Chance Increase 5%
Damage Increase 20%

I agree with what all the others say 100%. In summary:
Get to 40 LMC, strip the mage armor from your armor, AFTER you upgrade.
Juumu's (about 20-40 mill depending on shard)
Blackthorn's mace and shields plate helm version
more hp, at least 132. Crimson cincture will help.

Last edited:

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Just a quick look and i think you are maxing out some places and under spending on other.

You are at way more stam/SSI than you need. 40SSI with 200 stam is overkill if all you need is a double axe and bladed staff at max speed. You only need 180 stam and 20 SSI to hit max with that set; you can upgrade some areas to optimize.

Was there a specific reason you wanted 200 stam and 40 ssi?

LMC is far too low; gotta get that 40 (or even higher with the studded or plate boost)

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Thx alot !! Guys you are incredible :)

WonDumBaldGuy, I just saw your video ... heck :D You are a bible :)

Anyway I just bought the blackthorn's version of M&S and Jumu ... I already got the Duelist Edge but I don't know if I'll use now or not ... with a bracelet I have I have 100% DI without the duelist and untile I upgrade the jewels and the armor the mana orb has some LMC ...

my weapons are normal double axes and bladed staves with slayer mod and SSI, DI, hit area and mana (and sometimes life) leech

Ang7, I know ... but I was constantly dying because my stamina went low because of spells or hits and often was not able to swing fast to leech ... Unfortunately I'm on a not really great connection and often I can't be very reactive ... Anyway I capped dex and will lower to raise str and maybe int

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Your suit should take care of SSI and DI needs, the weapon mods are really important. You only get 5 and need to maximize keeping yourself alive as a sampire. I noticed you aren't using stam leech on your weapon, that might be the reason you suffer from stam issues. Mana and Stam leech is a must for sampire weapons, life leech you can sometimes opt to replace for something else.

For weapon mods a very common path is to do all 3 leeches (life, stam and mana), slayer and the fifth is situational for the reason you want the weapon (slayer optional too if the reason you are making the weapon is a boss that has no slayer)

Always craft for the optimal elemental damage too, once you get used to reforging it isnt very hard. Most people will make you the weapons on the cheap if you ask. I'll help you make whatever you need on ATL if you have the ingredients.

From what I can see, you are 80-90% of the way to a rock solid build and it wont cost much at all to fine tune it to be able to handle any content. This is what my work-horse sampires look like and it is definitely cheaper than the gear you already have in your setup:

Without holding a weapon and using swords 3 mastery:
1605675489747.png
I'm certain you can fine tune your set up for very little gold and it would be much better than this.

Most of my weapons look like this: (3 leeches and play with the final 2 mods and elemental damage for what I need it for)
1605675629159.png
1605675742022.png

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Thank you sam, just a guy who had a longer learning curve!
Do you have a tamer sam?
Yes, I have one but it's veeeeeery old 7gm peace/tamer/mage char back from 2000 :) It's not up the standards skills e equip wise and I don't have pets (sold my PP mare to restart and the dragons are worthless) .. I'll work on this char (that was my main char back in the days) later ... it's not really a template I love to play :/
Why you ask ?

I'm farming rotting corpses for the clean jewels as you suggested ;) Is the mini champ spawn in the abyss the best place to farm them or there is some fastest way ?

Thx you ANG7, great infos from you ! :) In a couple of days I'll finish the 120 imbeing and I'll start to find resources and craft the equip, starting from weapons :) Damn, you need a degree to understand how it works :D :D

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Damn, you need a degree to understand how it works
:ymca: And that is why UO is still around! Once you master this stuff, how could you let it go?|And Mastering this one little area leaves so much more to explore!

I am in COMPLETE agreement with Ang7. You can get by without life leech on a weapon, especially on a whirlwind weapon. But you must have Stamina 50 and Mana leech max on EVERY weapon. NO SSI ON THE WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked about the tamer because that is the easiest template to build a luck suit around. Luck really works now. It will bump the intensity of the loot. So here is a mini-plan. This is fast and dirty and cheaper. But not maximized. Just effective.

A)Farm RC in stygian for at the champ spawn for both undying flesh and jewels. Once you have a pair of clean ring/brace (not antique) with only 2-3 mods, Finish the imbuer. Imbue jewels as I suggested. This will also give you essences, which you could sell, along with undying flesh. Another place to farm JUST RC is Ilshenar, but you have to deal with paragons. Better loot on them though.

B) Get a bird slayer talisman and farm Swoop. Look for Arcane / Mystic of Haste or Animated of Wizardry/Sorcery. Min mods are Dex/Stam/Mana/LMC/ Resists to fit suit. Make sure you get honor on every one for the luck bump. Use the Stormgrips for the luck bump. Use a luck statue when you can for it's luck bump. Don't leave till you have all pieces upgraded.

C) Get Whetstones of Ennervation from shame crystals farming. Farm Energy Vortexes for crystals and imbuing materials. Use an Air Elemental slayer AI weapon (10 white pearl) with 50 HSL, max HML, 50 HLD, max HLL. You don't NEED 100% elemental damage on an AI weapon, but it can be nice.

Last edited:

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
sounds like a great and fun plan :)

Unfortunately there are no bird slayers things in VS on Europa :/ The only thing that I could think of is getting the birds of britannia talisman at the donation library ... but it's 550000 points, that is an awful grind that I already did for M&S and I'd avoid with all my life to do it again :D Or donating money would be 8250000 that is ouch :D Is there a cheaper way to obtain a bird slayer talisman ?

About point C, the air elemental slayer weapon is to face the renowed captains right ? The wheatstones is need to remove the DI from the weapons that I'll craft ? :)

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Air ele is for the Unbound Energy Vortex'es. Yes, to remove DI. AND it can be a very lucrative income. They sell for 5 mill a pop on my shard. Made a buddy of mine a P in 4 months.

No cheaper or easier way I know of to get a talisman.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
First off - Welcome Back! You have received some good advice here so far, so apologies if my comments are duplicative of any others you have already reviewed.

One of the great aspects of the Sampire template is that you can go many different directions with it. You can make it more offensive or defensive, you can focus on better mana preservation or stamina protection, and so on. Any advice you receive from me (or anyone else), you should make adjustments that fit YOUR play style. It might be expensive, but don't be afraid to experiment. Between your suit setup, skills and stats, you won't find what works best until you fail a little first. With that said, here are some of my notes:

Skills:
- Starting with your skills, I am not surprised you struggled in Deceit - you really could use Resisting Spells on your skill template. Even with 100+ RS, an ill-timed Blood Oath can really knock you down a peg pretty hard or end up causing you to die if you're in a tough situation with lots of casters smashing you. My personal preference is to make my Sampire as defensive as possible for maximum survivability. If I were you, I would consider adding in Resisting Spells and perhaps putting Anatomy on a Soulstone. This will help tremendously with any casting spawns, and you can always swap the Anatomy back on later if you need to change it up to focus on single target combat.
- My other personal preference is to have Parrying at atleast 100. You will find a wide range of opinions on this, as many people think you only need 60%. However, with Bushido 120 and Parrying 100 (and use of a , you're going to be blocking about 34% of incoming melee damage - a big help if you're acting as a tank on various bosses. Calculator here might be helpful: UO Stratics - Parrying
- There are a quite alot of threads on the Warrior forum here discussing Sampire builds and templates. Alot has changed in 15 years, so I would suggest reading up on a few to see if it refreshes your memory or gives you any new ideas.

Stats:
- As others have pointed out, your stamina is high and your hit points are low. Ideally, you would have Stamina in the 180's and SSI at 35%. This way you can use a double axe and swing at max speed even if your stamina falls as low as 151.
- Your Strength is good. Make sure to use Trinsic Rose petals to get another +4 Strength so that you get as close to the 150 cap as possible that way you're hitting as hard as possible. As others have noted, you should consider switching the Obi Ozy for a Crimson Cincture to boost up your Hit Points a bit. Since your stamina is high, you can consider changing up one of your armor pieces to one that has hit points. I would suggest getting HP over 140 as a target.
- Your LMC is low and I think this ties directly into your suit. I will comment on that below.

Gear / Weapons:
- First off, you need to get more LMC into your build. Period. Find some new Jewels. Find some New suit pieces until you hit 40 at a minimum. Second, your suit is all over the place - woodland pieces, bone, plate, glasses. My suggestion is you either go for atleast five Bone/Studded pieces or five Plate/Chain/Ring pieces. The Bone/Studded will get you a bonus of 3 LMC per piece for a maximum of 55 and provide a small amount of stamina protection. The Plate/Chain/Ring will provide you with a bonus of 1 LMC per piece for a maximum of 45 and provide a significant amount of stamina protection. My personal preference is to go with Plate. I changed from Bone to Plate, was very pleased and never had a reason to look back.
- For your head slot, I am not a particular fan of the Mace and Shield glasses. If you are going to use this Artifacts, I would suggest atleast getting the metal helmet version from Blackthorn's Dungeon turn-ins. I would suggest considering a Captain John's Hat. It will give you +20 Swords, +15 HCI, 8 Dex and some resists. That will free up some points in your skill point and a mod on one of your jewels.
- Long term, you should be looking to pick up a set of Cameos. This will free up the Slayer slot on your weapons so that you have an extra mod on all your axes. It's an expensive endeavor, but worth it. The Cameos also have great mods on them.
- One of the great things about this build is that you can customize your weapons for so many different scenarios. Since I run a Plate Suit on my Sampire, I do not need Hit Stam Leach on any of my main weapons. If I fall below 150 Stam and no longer swing at max speed, I will hit Divine Fury for the Stamina boost. I personally believe it is a wasted mod. Given that, you can free up a slot across your weapons for Hit Lower Attack or Hit Spell or Hit Life Leach. Most people will probably tell you that you don't need Hit Life Leach - but if you're dying too often - it can't hurt to have on atleast a few of your weapons when you need that extra durability in a long fight.
- While Double Axes should be your main weapon, I suggest experimenting with some Bladed Staffs and even Daisho's for some bosses. The Feint special on the Daisho is very helpful for hard hitters like Rikky.

Mastery:
- If you're overcap on HCI, DCI and already close to the Strength cap - I would consider changing to the Bushido mastery. It gives a +15 passive mana bonus and makes your Confidence spell work much better while fighting. Based on your current set up, I think you might benefit more from the Mana than the Warrior Gift's passive. Something to consider experimenting with.

With that said, best of luck. If you make your way to Atlantic and ever want to do some hunting with a large and friendly guild, feel free to reach out.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
:ymca: And that is why UO is still around! Once you master this stuff, how could you let it go?|And Mastering this one little area leaves so much more to explore!

I am in COMPLETE agreement with Ang7. You can get by without life leech on a weapon, especially on a whirlwind weapon. But you must have Stamina 50 and Mana leech max on EVERY weapon. NO SSI ON THE WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked about the tamer because that is the easiest template to build a luck suit around. Luck really works now. It will bump the intensity of the loot. So here is a mini-plan. This is fast and dirty and cheaper. But not maximized. Just effective.

A)Farm RC in stygian for at the champ spawn for both undying flesh and jewels. Once you have a pair of clean ring/brace (not antique) with only 2-3 mods, Finish the imbuer. Imbue jewels as I suggested. This will also give you essences, which you could sell, along with undying flesh. Another place to farm JUST RC is Ilshenar, but you have to deal with paragons. Better loot on them though.

B) Get a bird slayer talisman and farm Swoop. Look for Arcane / Mystic of Haste or Animated of Wizardry/Sorcery. Min mods are Dex/Stam/Mana/LMC/ Resists to fit suit. Make sure you get honor on every one for the luck bump. Use the Stormgrips for the luck bump. Use a luck statue when you can for it's luck bump. Don't leave till you have all pieces upgraded.

C) Get Whetstones of Ennervation from shame crystals farming. Farm Energy Vortexes for crystals and imbuing materials. Use an Air Elemental slayer AI weapon (10 white pearl) with 50 HSL, max HML, 50 HLD, max HLL. You don't NEED 100% elemental damage on an AI weapon, but it can be nice.

Do you use luck to farm for the 1 mod clean SSI jewels? Seems like it might make sense not to use luck so you get fewer mods right?

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Here I am :D

Thx alot Merlin ! :) You guys are great !

A little update ... I finally have my crafter done with 120 blacks/tailor/imbueing .. So I can finally work on my weapons and equip when I'll understand how it works :D
I farmed already almost all the materials I need for jewels and weapons ...

I bought the blackthorn M&S and Jumu's hides .. the cinture is not available in VS and global chat on Europa so I'll find a way to farm sooner or later ...

About the suggestions by WonDUmBaldGuy ... I'm farming rotting corpses like there's no tomorrow ... if I've not reached 1000 RC we're almost there :O I farmed the mini champ spawn in the abyss and in a very relaxing room in Doom. Unfortuately the only drop I had was a bracelet with 10ssi but other 2 (useless) mods, that considering durability makes it a 4 mod jewel with only 2 rooms for other mods :/ I dropped 1 or 2 mod with 18 spell damage increase but no SSI :( I tried with different luck values from zero to 500+honor but didn't help. I'll farm more tomorrow :/

I farmed swoop, I tried without the library talisman but takes ages to kill, so I bought the talisman. I'm with 300 luck + honor + statue ... I got some nice drop that I sold and a nice pair of plate gloves that are better than the ones I had, with HPI and LMC 8% :) Swoop it seems the way to go ... the only problem is that sometimes the punk flyes on the stones and there's no way to let it fly down that I know of :/

Tomorrow is farming like hell day :D

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Depending on your budget, I would suggest you look for four high-end Legendary gear pieces, add in whatever artifacts you intend to use and then make two crafted pieces to fill in whatever stats and resists you need. Might be easier said than done on a budget, but that should be your long term goal if you want to be fighting on a high level.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
- For your head slot, I am not a particular fan of the Mace and Shield glasses. If you are going to use this Artifacts, I would suggest atleast getting the metal helmet version from Blackthorn's Dungeon turn-ins. I would suggest considering a Captain John's Hat. It will give you +20 Swords, +15 HCI, 8 Dex and some resists. That will free up some points in your skill point and a mod on one of your jewels.

Mastery:
- If you're overcap on HCI, DCI and already close to the Strength cap - I would consider changing to the Bushido mastery. It gives a +15 passive mana bonus and makes your Confidence spell work much better while fighting. Based on your current set up, I think you might benefit more from the Mana than the Warrior Gift's passive. Something to consider experimenting with.
Mastery abilities are based on Real Skill, so the +20 Swords from Captain John's Hat does not boost Onslaught. With 120 Real Swords/GM Tact, Onslaught applies a -16 Resist debuff for 6 seconds. The resist lowered matches the damage type of your weapon, going up to -20 Resist at 120 Swords/120 Tact. Onslaught combined with Double Strike is very powerful, significantly boosting your damage output, which therefore makes you leech more, both Life Drain, HLL, HSL, and HML. Everyone else delivering that same damage type also deals more damage to the Onslaught victim. This out does what Bushido Mastery has to offer.

Lord Viro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i see a lot of you talking about axes for swordsmanship. Do you all have any suggestions for Macing and or Fencing weapons. (I have all 3 on stones and wanted to have options)
also this thread has helped immensely in my starting to look for gear for my Samp.