• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A fix for the 90 days cycle abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Again, it only needs to be 1 monthly subscriber for every 3 90day player that leaves. Additionally it doesnt have to be new or returning players. Like I said, I would probably open another 3 accounts for the housing. Just little ole me would make up for 9 90day people leaving.
5 people holding multiple accounts are out the door with the change. 35 accounts gone. of which some are 90 day payers and some paid full time. and those are stats from just the folks who have spoken up in this thread. there are more who are not speaking up.

Last edited:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
for nearly 20 years people have being duping gold and selling it. EA knows who it is and how they do it, and nothing is done. Does that somehow make it ok?

you can continue to repeat the same BS over and over again until you are blue in the face.....for me and many others this is abuse of an exploit plain and simple.

you arent going to change that opinion. There could be a dozen reasons why they didnt follow through with it then.....I believe motivations may have changed.... time will tell!
why do you think they don't do anything about it? maybe they are afraid of losing more subs and making the game insolvent?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Again, it only needs to be 1 monthly subscriber for every 3 90day player that leaves. Additionally it doesnt have to be new or returning players. Like I said, I would probably open another 3 accounts for the housing. Just little ole me would make up for 9 90day people leaving.
And for the 400+ that will leave you will need to convince 125 to stay and pay their accounts all the time..... You have seen folk in this post say they will close accounts... I'm pretty sure this was NEVER done because they know there are literally 100s of the accounts that will more than likely close forever. And you are delusional to think otherwise. It will COST them 10X more than your measely 3 accounts would gain them and I'm willing to bet that you would probably be the ONLY one who would actually open more and I'm even more sure that it WOULD NOT add much if anything to housing on Atl..... because some XSharders would just fill that vacuum and drop more housing off of other shards making them even more barren than they are. And it wouldn't add more people to your play either because these people don't really play anywhere consistantly. I'm willing to bet that Atl is filled with 100's of houses held by people with paid accounts who NEVER play there except to grab cash and run.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm willing to bet that Atl is filled with 100's of houses held by people with paid accounts who NEVER play there except to grab cash and run.
Yep - 7 of my houses are on ATL, a shard which I no longer really play on at all. Each account is paid monthly.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Again, it only needs to be 1 monthly subscriber for every 3 90day player that leaves.
Why have multiple dev teams over a period of many years never decided the math adds up and changed the 90 day period? Even back when housing space was much more rare? Were they all idiots, and needed you to come along and point this out to them?

Face it, if they were ever going to change this it would have been back when housing space was valuable on more than one shard. I'm seriously not going to sit here and watch you people act like "I KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS GAME'S FINANCIAL SITUATION THAN ANYONE WHO EVER WORKED THERE" isn't a stupid thing to say.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why have multiple dev teams over a period of many years never decided the math adds up and changed the 90 day period? Even back when housing space was much more rare? Were they all idiots, and needed you to come along and point this out to them?

Face it, if they were ever going to change this it would have been back when housing space was valuable on more than one shard. I'm seriously not going to sit here and watch you people act like "I KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS GAME'S FINANCIAL SITUATION THAN ANYONE WHO EVER WORKED THERE" isn't a stupid thing to say.

Are you debating that one account paying monthly makes up for three accounts doing the 90 day game? cause that's all I said the rest of your gibberish is a straw man argument.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is obviously not an exploit because EA does nothing about it? ....Is duping gold checks an exploit??? I dont see EA doing much about companies that dupe and sell billions in gold every weekend but no one would deny it is effecting the game...so that argument doesnt hold up.

Allow me to re phrase: EA currently has set the 90 days as the time period. They must then approve of it. EA doesn't like nor condone duping.

My comment about bloody lowlifes.. was a wise crack about people who pull wings off flies...it was a smart ass joke ( talk about overreacting much???)
For the record I have 2 keeps on two different shards...and I can have a castle any day I want. I have owned them before and literally given them away. I dont see this as "just an Alt issue"

Perhaps I did overreact. I have an 18x18 in malas. That's it. Use to have two but I shut down the account.

I see this as people exploiting a system, not designed to be used by them, so that they can have 4 different houses on 4 different accounts and pay the equivalent of 1 annual account subscription fee. It is stealing and cheating and it is wrong....period. And just because some people think they are entitled to exploit a system cause "the rules dont apply to them".. they are wrong...and eventually this exploit will get changed if enough people complain about it.

I completely understand your sentiment. If this 90 day rule helps people legitimately isn't it wise to keep it in place? Mind you it's not like EA is collecting nothing as far as payment goes. Perhaps even more than what they would without it.

And trust me I was somone that spent most of the 90's deployed all over the world....in the 90's people didnt typically connect their credit card for a monthly fee. Most bought game time codes through services like paypal because it was seen as safer to do it that way. And it use to take well over a month to add money to your paypal account from your bank at times. I also know it would often take 90 days to get snail mail rerouted from North America. Now deployed service members have cell phones and global internet providers and secure email accounts etc. but back in the 90's and the beginning of this millennium we werent so connected.

1995-96 for example 500 American, Canadian, and Bangladeshi soldiers shared 1 email address in Haiti. Family wanting to send you an email had to put your name and serial number in the subject line. Each day some poor Private would print and sort out every email and then deliver those to each unit commander. Then each service member would wait in line to send an email reply from the one computer that was allowed to be connected to the net for general use. Why am I telling you all this???

Because when a company like EA stepped up and changed a billing system as an expression of appreciation for our service members it was a big deal. It was greatly appreciated. And yes it makes me sick to see people exploiting a system 12 years later that wasnt designed for them because they feel entitled to do it!

First and foremost thank you. That is never said enough. With that said, while deployment was a major factor in their decision to add the 90 days it was not the only reason. There are reasons I'm sure, that the 90 day rule helped in a legitimate way IE: death in family and forgets to pay. Should those people now lose out because others are, in your view, taking advantage of the situation?

Ya Ya I know it is a game...it is pixel crack and it doesnt really matter. But what does mater is the fact that for some of us....if you exploit a system designed for service members serving overseas then you are exploiting them....

Again thank you.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is obviously not an exploit because EA does nothing about it? ....Is duping gold checks an exploit??? I dont see EA doing much about companies that dupe and sell billions in gold every weekend but no one would deny it is effecting the game...so that argument doesnt hold up.

Allow me to re phrase: EA currently has set the 90 days as the time period. They must then approve of it. EA doesn't like nor condone duping.

My comment about bloody lowlifes.. was a wise crack about people who pull wings off flies...it was a smart ass joke ( talk about overreacting much???)
For the record I have 2 keeps on two different shards...and I can have a castle any day I want. I have owned them before and literally given them away. I dont see this as "just an Alt issue"

Perhaps I did overreact. I have an 18x18 in malas. That's it. Use to have two but I shut down the account.

I see this as people exploiting a system, not designed to be used by them, so that they can have 4 different houses on 4 different accounts and pay the equivalent of 1 annual account subscription fee. It is stealing and cheating and it is wrong....period. And just because some people think they are entitled to exploit a system cause "the rules dont apply to them".. they are wrong...and eventually this exploit will get changed if enough people complain about it.

I completely understand your sentiment. If this 90 day rule helps people legitimately isn't it wise to keep it in place? Mind you it's not like EA is collecting nothing as far as payment goes. Perhaps even more than what they would without it.

And trust me I was somone that spent most of the 90's deployed all over the world....in the 90's people didnt typically connect their credit card for a monthly fee. Most bought game time codes through services like paypal because it was seen as safer to do it that way. And it use to take well over a month to add money to your paypal account from your bank at times. I also know it would often take 90 days to get snail mail rerouted from North America. Now deployed service members have cell phones and global internet providers and secure email accounts etc. but back in the 90's and the beginning of this millennium we werent so connected.

1995-96 for example 500 American, Canadian, and Bangladeshi soldiers shared 1 email address in Haiti. Family wanting to send you an email had to put your name and serial number in the subject line. Each day some poor Private would print and sort out every email and then deliver those to each unit commander. Then each service member would wait in line to send an email reply from the one computer that was allowed to be connected to the net for general use. Why am I telling you all this???

Because when a company like EA stepped up and changed a billing system as an expression of appreciation for our service members it was a big deal. It was greatly appreciated. And yes it makes me sick to see people exploiting a system 12 years later that wasnt designed for them because they feel entitled to do it!

First and foremost thank you. That is never said enough. With that said, while deployment was a major factor in their decision to add the 90 days it was not the only reason. There are reasons I'm sure, that the 90 day rule helped in a legitimate way IE: death in family and forgets to pay. Should those people now lose out because others are, in your view, taking advantage of the situation?

Ya Ya I know it is a game...it is pixel crack and it doesnt really matter. But what does mater is the fact that for some of us....if you exploit a system designed for service members serving overseas then you are exploiting them....

Again thank you.
Timberwolf, did you post on your alt account by accident? UO wasn't even around in 1995-96.

Even if you aren't Timberwolf - there is absolutely no correlation between the decision for EA to move housing decay to 90 days that relates to military deployment. If you can prove otherwise, please provide proof or citations. I have searched extensively and find nothing to back up this assertion. It's crazy that anyone even has to argue this really, as you are literally manufacturing your own version of reality and trying to pass it on as fact.

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you can continue to repeat the same BS over and over again until you are blue in the face.....for me and many others this is abuse of an exploit plain and simple.
Show your work, as your math teacher might say,,,

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This thread has been thoroughly entertaining...

We have 3-4 posters who are making absolute fools of themselves...

The only reason this topic has gotten this so much attention is because this idea is SO BAD that it would it would result in putting the lights out on UO permanently.

Here is another kicker...

Pretty sure I saw a post about a year back from Timber Wolf stating "he has returned to UO". It's not like this guy was a 17 year veteran paying every month. Pretty sure .... but I'm not gonna waste my time looking..

This is what we get alot of the time here on stratics...which is worrisome: Players advocating major changes to the game, who then turn around themselves and quit.

Meanwhile, those of us left playing to pay are stuck with some of these stupid ideas that some (enter word here - you know the one) advocated on stratics who is no longer even playing...

Half of me wishes they'd make the change...just so I could point my finger and say "You ______ _____s", after they pull the plug on the game.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Are you debating that one account paying monthly makes up for three accounts doing the 90 day game?
I'm debating that enough people would convert their part-time house holding accounts into full-time active accounts for the financial impact to work out in EA's favor. Because if that were the case, EA would have changed it by now. Because EA likes money, and has better information and tools for answering such questions than some random guy on a forum does. The fact that the 90 day policy has remained in place for a majority of the game's existence through multiple dev teams speaks volumes.

Furthermore, I find it striking how strenuously you and the others try to avoid addressing this very simple concept. It's almost as if you realize how mind-bogglingly ridiculous it sounds to say:

"Everyone to have worked on this game over the last 12 years is so monumentally stupid that even with actual financial data to draw from, even with their paychecks depending on the game, they couldn't figure out what I did while browsing Stratics in my underwear. Mesanna is this stupid, Cal was this stupid, Draconi was this stupid."

In which case I can only advise you to quit trying so hard to imply it. You want to know why I think they briefly announced changing it to 30 days in 2006 and then never mentioned it again? Their income probably dropped the moment they announced it.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm debating that enough people would convert their part-time house holding accounts into full-time active accounts for the financial impact to work out in EA's favor.
Once again that is not what I said. I simply said that one account paying monthly makes up for three accounts doing the 90 day game.

Because if that were the case, EA would have changed it by now. Because EA likes money, and has better information and tools for answering such questions than some random guy on a forum does. The fact that the 90 day policy has remained in place for a majority of the game's existence through multiple dev teams speaks volumes.
This is an assumption.

Furthermore, I find it striking how strenuously you and the others try to avoid addressing this very simple concept. It's almost as if you realize how mind-bogglingly ridiculous it sounds to say:
Strenuously? Not really I just keep repeating the same fact. You seem to be the one trying to gin up straw man arguments, making assumptions as to why EA does stuff while in the same sentence saying they are better equipped to answer.

"Everyone to have worked on this game over the last 12 years is so monumentally stupid that even with actual financial data to draw from, even with their paychecks depending on the game, they couldn't figure out what I did while browsing Stratics in my underwear. Mesanna is this stupid, Cal was this stupid, Draconi was this stupid."
You are exaggerating the situation. I could name off a litany of things that were considered norm in the world at one time but later were found to be reprehensible and were ultimately changed.

In which case I can only advise you to quit trying so hard to imply it. You want to know why I think they briefly announced changing it to 30 days in 2006 and then never mentioned it again? Their income probably dropped the moment they announced it.
Keep your advice, I think I'll continue to push to get this changed.....just don't disappear when it happens.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
With your post history and your "weed" shirt profile pic, good luck being taken seriously.
Nothing wrong with Dan's shirt. I like the Red, White, and Blue...

Dan? Where can I buy one? :)

If the entire planet smoked weed the world would be a better place...

Interesting though...to see the prejudices and stigmas, as well as judgement that come out as a result of the demonization of the "sweet leaf" on the boards.

Dan, if it's any consolation: A hundred of years from now these stigmas will be long gone due greater awareness which your contributing to by the fact that your sporting the shirt in your profile pic.:thumbup1:

Very often people ridicule and criticize that which they have no understanding of...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Keep your advice, I think I'll continue to push to get this changed.....just don't disappear when it happens.
I sure hope you realize that if you do infact succeed it will likely cost UO WAY more than it would gain.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I take my membership in an advocacy group for the legalization of medicinal uses of marijuana very seriously. So many children and adults have been able to live a better quality live through the medical advances of CDB oils. You can get these shirts from your local NORML group.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I take my membership in an advocacy group for the legalization of medicinal uses of marijuana very seriously. So many children and adults have been able to live a better quality live through the medical advances of CDB oils. You can get these shirts from your local NORML group.
Good on you Dan!:thumbup:

Me...I advocate personal consumption and recreational use.:devil:

I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do if I'm not harming anyone else.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for your interest in the team speak server but that has nothing to do with this forum topic. Have a nice day

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Moderators traditionally are supposed to have an air of neutrality, and a perceived bit of intelligence. Based on his past posts, I am guessing Dan is working with an IQ in the low to mid 70's.

Tell us again Dan, where your teamspeak is hosted? On servers in the place where you work?
Not sure why your derailing what was turning into a very entertaining thread, or what your vendetta is...

You had some good posts in this thread, and now you've wandered way off into left field...

If you don't like his posts put him on ignore.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
First off, you have no idea where I work out what I do or how I spend my money to help out the UO community. I really hope this is the last of your personal attacks.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It seems this topic has degenerated far away from the OP’s original post, and it’s time to give it a proper rest. Several people have voiced several great ideas, suggestions, and arguments. Perhaps this conversation can continue another time. For now I think it has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.