• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A discussion on the Player run communities.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ian my first home out yalls way may be north of GIL, or a bit further north, is that ok ? I don't want to step on GIL town's spaces or future ones. *northish of the purple * on Uvtha's mappings.

I need ore AND trees both, in my yards. :) Few northernish spots seem appealing to me killing 2 birds, with one stone, granite ore wood. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one don't even really want an 18x18. Its usually more space than I comfortably know what to do with, deco wise. I for one would never own a castle or keep. Can't customize, which is a huge turn off for me.

And considering that 13x17,18, 14x16,17,18, 15x15,16,17,18, 16x14 and so on and so on all have the same storage as a 18x18, I don't think 18x18 are needed by most. Most people just make box homes, and only use one floor anyway.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Uvtha. I would be prould to have you as a nieghbor. I might even mow my lawn...

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QZ - you can build where ever you like, it doesn't matter to me if you place closer. We don't own anything ;-)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*

Ye may wish to rethink that ! rolleyes:

Lessee Guardians of MYTH colors BLOODWOOD & Oak furny, sorta clashin with my *blue* KSS rooms...all topped out with a floor of ash and heartwood furny surrounded by 40+ parrots !

:lol::grouphug:

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is it the GIL area? Just wanted to know, as I may out of interest be popping by sometime ;)

Oops I disturbed QZ in her shop a little while ago lol.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe

No ya didn't disturb me. I was glad to see you. :)

I had already restocked most of the addons deeds that sold out, anyhow.
I don't plan to restock smoke bombs on my vendors when there are zillions of em on Zeb's new Zento vendors. GO BUY HIS yall. hehe

I just had to slap a couple more rune books though, on my scribey vendor and now to try to decide if or where to move to.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uvtha. I would be prould to have you as a nieghbor. I might even mow my lawn...
Ditto sir.

I've been antsy to move for ages... so soon as an area gets picked out for sure, I'm good to go. :thumbup1:

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should the various communities continue to try to exist separately? Should they come together? Would efforts to build a teleporter house be a better idea? I am listening. I may create a poll based on any ideas and suggestions later.
Even if such a town was done; if I walk through the houses would I see
people?

I walk everwhere... and I see the same... a few people inside houses...
but knowing where they go... or what they do...please do ask me...

We keep our activities secret...we have made ourselves invisible to each other.

Really, getting interplay is hard to do... unless you meerly want to just be
the dog that always gets kicked.

I really do not think anyone should move...try something else.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Wait fot what? Really, what are we waiting for? Yes, I sit on a lot of history... but there I am. Sitting. Come folks. Bring it.

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the proposed map that Uvtha put out there. I like this because it is not an already established guild town. I understand it's close to GIL and that might seem like an advantage. No one wants to give up everything they have "worked" for. But damn people, it's just a game...can we get on with it and play?
I think if there is a large area of land available...I say go for it. No one is ever going to agree on where. Someone just has to step up and say this is "The New Community, come build here or not". We can't stay in limbo over this.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye there is lots of room out there. Why I even seen a lot of places that might be befitting a new Siege Insane Aslyum um hospital. :)

That one place with just one home in there can even become a whole new whatevers full of homes if folks build in there.

Me Ima gonna move towards some pixies, ore, and trees I think ...out that way.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am willing to leave Iantown... I have searched my soul and I know Folger would approve. He would say go play, have fun and enjoy those people you call friends.

I only bring this up because it is true and Folger and I had that discussion once. It matters not where you are. it matters who you are with. *nods*

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure why you're so angry Draxous. I could understand if you had some big vested interest in this subject.
Not sure why you think I'm angry? I get your point.

Log in and build a community. Hell, log in and play with the community you claim to be a part of. I am sure Barter Town would welcome some involvement.
Give me a reason to log into this "community" or don't tell me how to spend my time in this game. I never asked for your dingle-berry of an opinion on what I should or shouldn't do with my time in this game. Well you asked the question and didn't like the response.

ktksbye

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well my new i7 laptop has been shipped, it is on it's way. I am gonna move too, probably rapidly within the next few days for all 3 of my Siege homes.

I will settle somewhere in the above map sections, while I still can work this old XP to place,so I will probably place 3 homes together, on my alts. out there.

I think part of some issues we do have on Siege is we keep tryin to live upon the past, in the end we end up almost immobile as if entombed, going nowhere, stiffled, tryin to preserve what was & whom was, stunting our growth.

Whenever we become our own, just another Brick in the Wall, on this Dark Side of the Moon, called Siege Perilous as Time marches on, we end up merely 'existing' here, living upon our various pasts, like walking wounded numbed folks. :(

*hears the nay sayers.. division bell*

Memories of players, stay with us for forever.

But we can make brand new memories, with others, in a new place, with a new life, to breathe again, a reprise, new fresh place, to park our weary bones, to call home again, for those of us willing to move together,
unalike as we all may be, in freshened air, inhale.. rolleyes:
breathe, breathe in the air,
don't be afraid to care,
we can do this,
no more excuses ! :thumbup1:

[youtube]lvkPKyMswUo[/youtube]

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me a reason to log into this "community" or don't tell me how to spend my time in this game.[/unquote]

Um cuz some new folks, here, have not yet seen, your style !

:grouphug:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me a reason to log into this "community" or don't tell me how to spend my time in this game.
Because what would we do without your sunny and clearly reasonably proportionate disposition? :/

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I moved! Put myself a 14x18 (Owned by Bazerion) on the middle island (the one on my map with houses marked 3 and 4) off to the side. Plenty of room for neighbors!

Will be linking up to my zento home, I could put some more house linkers up if no one else has a house they wanna use as a hub.

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you're not going to demonize me for constructively criticizing things that have been said....

You know my presentation by now. This is how I communicate here. Can't address the things beings said so attack the person saying them. Grow up.
I was just lurking, and this made me LOL, ROFLOCOPTER, LAWL, and LMAO all simultaneously.

Good to know some things stay constant... Drax you're one of the worst at attacking the person, and you need to look up the definition of 'constructive criticism' because you're confusing with what you do, which is 'condescending criticism.'

Peace out.

-H

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where should a new community be created? To me, the best place has always been between the brit gate and town. It's a good spot to attract new players to. As long as players don't come in and have to have the largest possible plot, it gives room for new players to drop a 7x7 and join the community.

There has to be 24x7 life, so lots of people of various play styles and time zones need to be there. People need to know there is a community presence. The biggest problem people have with Siege, is for the most part, nobody can be found in game.

Not that it matters since I don't play the game (and haven't for some time)...la

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Where should a new community be created? To me, the best place has always been between the brit gate and town. It's a good spot to attract new players to. As long as players don't come in and have to have the largest possible plot, it gives room for new players to drop a 7x7 and join the community.

There has to be 24x7 life, so lots of people of various play styles and time zones need to be there. People need to know there is a community presence. The biggest problem people have with Siege, is for the most part, nobody can be found in game.
I agree with you. There's N Trin and Skara to consider as well, it's all easily accessed from Brit gate. I'm not a fan of Malas, though, I like the character and olde worldy look of the old lands.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me a reason to log into this "community" or don't tell me how to spend my time in this game. I never asked for your dingle-berry of an opinion on what I should or shouldn't do with my time in this game. Well you asked the question and didn't like the response.

ktksbye
It's funny that when you show up to offer "constructive criticism" (aka hurl insults when people don't agree with you) that half the thread gets derailed. Why does that always happen? I'm sure you cannot objective step outside of yourself and look at this thread but if you could, you would see it went south the instant Kelmo dismissed your idea. Why don't you try to build up the community and rejoin it rather than constantly try to tear it down? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

All that being said, I agree with your premise: Fel is the only way to go. However, since I'm not really into the big player run community scene, I guess my opinion doesn't matter but it's still my $.02.

VinnySP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just placed a 18x18 2-3 screens up from the stables there last night.I hope that people will be out,talking to there neighbors and looking over there shoulders for Da Fud lol.Most players here have more then one acct with more then one house here as well. Why not keep your kozy lil spot that ya have loved for years and years where it is and and plant your other buy Gil?Its not like people are lining up to buy your wares in luna right?I say come and try to help this community,atleast give it a shot.

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
imo, you should pick a place and populate it. Hang out there and make targets of yourselves. The predators will come but so will the predator hunters. I am considering reactivating my Tib acct and running him as a non factioned red. Honestly, those of us who can afford absolutely uber gear probably outta tone it down a bit so we dont hurt so much when we die and so the lesser skilled or weathly feel like they at least have a shot in a fight. The people haning around the town should not be hanging around with 112244343 pets and dismounting hiders. Put some shown archers, warriors, and mages on the field. Everyone should honestly equip expecting to die in **** they can afford to lose 10 times a night or so.

I know this is a more gimp style pvp but imo it sure beats the **** out of logging in waiting 3-4 hours for a fight, getting one and one side or both throwing hissy fits about faction items for 30 minutes; not to mention burning stat usually forces one side off the field the second someone goes down rather than the fallen just grabbing more gear and coming back. Anyhow I'm staying home this weekend so i may log on a bit and get my own pk house set up near ian town.

Just to slim all that **** i posted down...
1) occupy the player town (make targets of yourselves and learn to defend it)
2) **** factions
3) Nix all the freakin tame and stealth templates-- run a shown dismounter if you must have one.
4) **** Factions
5) Equip in lesser gear (imbuing still lets you do some pretty nice stuff with relative little cost).
6) **** factions
7) Don't pancake or log when you die; resuit and help your team out.
8) **** factions
9) If you don't have a team then get one. If you are too much of a tool bag to get on a team or have someone join you then stop being a tool bag.
10) **** factions.

VinnySP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[
. Anyhow I'm staying home this weekend so i may log on a bit and get my own pk house set up near ian town.

I think you meant GIL right?:thumbup1:

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I've been out of town for a few days, but according to my Gilfane members, houses are popping up all over the area, and they are so excited to have new neighbors, especially Elmer Fudd!

Looking forward to meeting all of you soon.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was hoping that would be the feeling of the residents... Things are moving pretty fast and I was worried...

D

Daleth

I placed not one but two homes, I moved everything I had to Gilfane!!! And Elmer only killed me once and looted nothing, how nice of him! :grouphug:

B

Bruin

A town does not make a community, interaction does. For any community to be successful, it must be more than just a collection of buildings where people store their belongings or craft their goods. A single building may do more for interaction than 100 homes for if everyone shows up to this single building, you have great interaction and a vibrant community. If you have 100 homes grouped together and everyone hangs out in their home, what do you have?

I fear player run communities have outlived their usefulness. Back in the day player run communities served the purpose of providing a central meeting point. People from similar (guilds) or different groups would come together at a central meeting spot to see who was about, and then journey off together on some quest or simply spar or drink and chat. This drastically changed with the advent of guild/alliance chat and now global chat. Back in the day, you'd always log-in and head to the guildhouse/tavern/etc to see what your guildmates were up to and interact with them (chat just to have fun). Today you just type in guild/alliance chat or even global chat to get this same type of interaction.

I think it's very good to see a strong concerted effort to re-establish these player communities, particularly at Gilfane. Just remember it's not living next door to someone that fosters interaction, it's actually interacting.

Wispwood did really well with it's core location of the 4 main buildings. Many citizens lived within running distance of the central location, others lived far away. But the 4 main buildings served as a great point of interaction for both Wispwood Citizens, Friend and enemies. This is true of all other communities that I have belonged to - we'd always log in, gear up at home, and then meet at this central location be it a guildhouse, guildzone, tavern, NPC city/etc.

One of the struggles that will exist with Gilfane is being so spread out. It's nice everyone has their 18x18 - but that spreads things out quite far and if all you see is yourself and 3 other 18x18's on one screen, what have you accomplished?

For this to succeed, you will need to make a strong concerted effort to not just wake up and go to sleep in Gilfane, but gather together at a central meeting point to socialize, and foster interaction amongst both Gilfane and non-Gilfane residents.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well said Bruin.

Many of the houses in Gilfane are public for that very reason. I would suggest that the tavern near the stables is a good place for meeting up - much as the Golden Unicorn has been for years.

Would you dare to bring back a story night and see how it goes?

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent post Tibs!

I especially liked 2,4,6,8, and 10.

But the best was 7, and 5 was great too.

All this positive energy and activity is making me want to re-activate my pvp account. I realize I'm not a great threat, but maybe I will have some fun again.

E

Elmer Fudd

Well said Bruin.

Many of the houses in Gilfane are public for that very reason. I would suggest that the tavern near the stables is a good place for meeting up - much as the Golden Unicorn has been for years.

Would you dare to bring back a story night and see how it goes?
I am everywhere...I roam all the Gill lands looking for souls in desperate need of a resting place, and I the one and only Fudd...will happily oblige any and all......lol

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I moved two of my Siege homes out that way.

Miranda's carpentry shoppe has left Iantown for Northmost Gilfane area.

Miranda's is probably too far north, but ........I love pixies. :) My apologies to a couple of folks whom were ganked in me new front yard in North Gilfane at Pixies & Parrots Pandemonium Carpentry Shoppe. I realised me ankh of sacrafice while it did res the dearly departed...didn't do much good. Dang them pixies are res killas !!! LOL

Then I collapsed my Trinsic Bridge home, to move my miner Joesef over to N. Gilfane area. He is now the proud owner of Dark Side of the Moon mining...in case anyone wishes to pk a miner, he is located just south, of the Luna Bridge.

My Hughes will collapse his Zento max secured se. corner of Zento to take my Trinsic Bridge home for his new sushi bar and fishing tank home. This Trinsic will house teleporter tile from Trinsic Bridge to N. Gilfane. I could NOT give up 'old world' Trinsic Bridge house. I just rearranged whom of me, held it, is all. :)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For this to succeed, you will need to make a strong concerted effort to not just wake up and go to sleep in Gilfane, but gather together at a central meeting point to socialize, and foster interaction amongst both Gilfane and non-Gilfane residents.
Thank you. Maybe this puts my posts into perspective. I just don't see people hanging out in malas unless they live there.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny that when you show up to offer "constructive criticism" (aka hurl insults when people don't agree with you) that half the thread gets derailed. Why does that always happen? I'm sure you cannot objective step outside of yourself and look at this thread but if you could, you would see it went south the instant Kelmo dismissed your idea. Why don't you try to build up the community and rejoin it rather than constantly try to tear it down? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

All that being said, I agree with your premise: Fel is the only way to go. However, since I'm not really into the big player run community scene, I guess my opinion doesn't matter but it's still my $.02.
One... it wasn't my idea. I may have been the first to say it though? Two... the thread went south when kelmo asked the community what they thought then dismissed their thoughts as irrelevant. We're not reinventing the wheel here even though we're asking everyone what they think of this shiny new wheel we want to invent? Three... I may not present my objective point of view with roses or chocolates, but any insults given are in response to attacks against me rather than to the things we're talking about. Or did you not catch the part where I pointed out how I rather than what we were talking about was the subject of their attacks?

It's really up to them what they want to do. I'm not tearing down anything. Neither is anyone who shares my point of view (like you do.)

P

PuddyMae

Uvtha Where houses 3 and 4 are you missed one behind Texas Blacks house. Artful Dodger lives there and is one of the first houses there. A few others that were there when we moved there are now gone. Welcome to the nice cozy island. The island sw of us has the tele on it for getting out of the area. If you go to the counslers guild in Brit there is a pink squishy that will bring you back to the area. Sara Dale

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uvtha Where houses 3 and 4 are you missed one behind Texas Blacks house. Artful Dodger lives there and is one of the first houses there. A few others that were there when we moved there are now gone. Welcome to the nice cozy island. The island sw of us has the tele on it for getting out of the area. If you go to the counslers guild in Brit there is a pink squishy that will bring you back to the area. Sara Dale
Yeah I realized I missed a few after I put a house down in the area. And several new houses have appeared after this post, and kelmo's other post as well. :)