• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Baja A cup of coffee in rememberance of Sallie

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*takes off hat and sips his coffee, hiding tears*

A

Acadia

Yes, I noticed that paperdoll image yesterday when I clicked on the links to his characters from a post above. I found it too ironic and sad to know that he had died and that his UO image was no longer showing up in his paperdoll /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

I

imported_Bluebottle

*Raises mug high*

Sallie - I too did not know you but I certainly know many of those you have touched and thus I too feel the loss of a friend I had yet to meet.

Farewell and may your example be followed by others - see you on the other side of life's Firewall

Cheers

BB

A

Ajax of Napa

I can't believe it.. I remember sallie well. A few times over the years I've posted here that I was looking to get some newbie items on different shards where I was. Just about every time, there was an ICQ message from sallie/quade saying he would meet me and get whatever I needed. Asking nothing in return, he was there to help a fellow UHaller, giving his time to me.

I will remember you sallie, wherever you are, as a noble soul with a kind heart.

*takes a deep drink in sallie's honor*

M

MC Square

Thought folks might want to leave a message for Sallie/Ron's family. Here is a link for where you can leave your condolences and get information about memorial gifts ect. for Sallie/Ron. You can find it here:

Sallie/Ron's Obituary and Memorial Page

I'm a lurker here mostly, but I live about an hour from Pittsburgh and often got a smile out of his Pittsburgh references. I have no doubt he'll find happiness, good health and peace on the other side of the window...

I

imported_EwanBlackmane

He sounds like a very nice chap... when the community loses a player like this its worse than if they left to play another game... fairest thee well sallie!

I

imported_Gwyneth

omg... no.... I never met Sallie in life, but I always enjoyed reading his posts... always went away feeling like this was someone who would be a joy to meet one day. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

C

Catriana

I don't remember feeling so sad for a long time, it's been so difficult to think of what to write. I'm mostly a lurker on these boards, but came to UO after meeting Sallie in another community. He helped me in many ways over the years, both in and out of UO and a nicer, more genuine and friendly person I've never met.

Happy trails old friend, I'll miss you. And until we meet again may you always have the sun on your face, the wind at your back and may your coffee cup always be full.

Cat

G

I don't know Sallie, but I do vaguely recall Clyde from the old UO.com boards. My impression is that he was kind, never into flamefests or insults, and always interesting. I definitely remember the desire to read any thread he started. My condolences to all those who did, in some way, know him and now have a hole in their lives he once filled.

I am reminded of a quote from "The Wizard of Oz" where the wizard is admonishing the Tin Man to remember, "...that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." Based on this thread, I think Sallie's heart has been judged most favorably.

A

Ailsa

This has shocked me as much as anyone else.

I have been a prolific reader if not poster for several years on stratics and remember Sallie fondly.

Although I never conversed with him personally, I did enjoy his numerous postings.

My god did he love the ABM! :) I can only imagine wherever he is now the ABM is being carefully explained in the gentlemanly and humorous manner he always conducted himself.

This world needs more gentlemen like Sallie.

Sallie, go gently into that good night.

C

Casey

Wow, this is so sad. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif I'm mostly a lurker here on Uhall, but I remember sallie's posts well. He was always so cheerful, never anything bad to say about anybody. This post comes as a shock to me because I don't remember him ever saying anything about how sick he was, he always seemed so upbeat. Just a really nice guy to be around. sallie, you are missed. May your spirit be in peace.

H

Hekate

Ronald A. Shaffer

Age 61, died on Sunday, September 21, 2003.
Loving father of 4.
Dear friend of many.
A true gentleman.

You will be missed Ron, you will be missed.

G

I didnt know sallie but i lost a brother when he was 20 to aplastic anemia...i know how his family feels and my prayers are with his family and friends ( RL and Uo)

Rest well sir

Rob

G

Anyone thought of having an in-game memorial?

Wasn't there some UO Power Up service for one, or something?

RIP Sallie, btw. I haven't lookd at these forums for ages but It is still sad to have a fellow boardie pass away.

L

Lady Starr

There will be a memorial held tonight at the YMCA on Sonoma. Check the event calender at top for more info..

G

Goodman Atlantic

My condolences to all who hurt and grieve for this player. May he play with the angels now.

Y

YimWingChun

I reach to the sky
and call out your name
if I could change
I would

and it feels
and it feels like
Heaven is so far away
and it seems like
the world is so cold
now that you've gone away

I

Icarius LS

*Raises a cup of Ethiopian Yergacheffe and a PA style hot pretzel with extra mustard to a good man whi will be truly missed*
Fair winds friend....

M

MidnightWhisper

Wow dor this saddens me ..iam even more sadden i missed the memorial at the Y i would of loged in just for that..He was a very good person.. i remember him from the uo boards and then when i came here after uo boards went down.. my condolence's to his friends and family..May you rest in peace sweetie ..

M

Mekere

I didn't know sallie well but it was very difficult to read through this thread without being moved to tears and realizing that I would never get the chance to know him in rl and that I could have had I known how nearby he was.
I'm only about 60 minutes out of Pittsburgh and attend college in Monroeville.
I hope sallie's family sees how many people cared about him here and what a wonderful person we all thought he was.

*Raises a cuppa* in remembrance of a wonderful man.

No doubt he's enjoying his morning brew by the most beautiful window with a view there is!

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

You will be missed sallie.

R

rileyrat

Gonna miss that guy. He was really good at helping me research stuff. And also he was alot of fun to just BS with.

G

I read alot of his posts as well and his "style" always gave me a laugh.

Lately I've been very depressed, but now I've felt a greater respect for life.

S

Scott Ian

No way.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

I come back to check out what the U-Hallers are up to and I find some very bad news.

My Best Wishes to his family, here at U Hall and IRL,

Bud Weiser / Pyros Darkblade

D

Dor of Sonoma

Last night, we had an ingame gathering at the YMCA, to share our memories of Sallie.

Although he arrived belatedly, Vladimir Taltos has published a small portion of the eve here

It was very good to see so many old friends gathered once again, despite the sad occasion. I will try to add to it tomorrow, when I return from my stint at the Celtic Festival.

G

Oh my, Iam so sorry to hear this.
My thoughts go out to his famlily and friends.

Rest in peace my friend!

I

imported_CaesarDoP

I just wanted to share with all of you the responce from Ron's Daughter. This was copied from the Guest book of his Obit in the Pittsburgh Gazzett. The URL can be found in the post from Mother Conffesor.

I was Ron's daughter, so I knew him as "Daddy". My dad lived on his computer, and it is so wonderful to see he had so many incredible on-line friends as well. You will never know how much these guest book entries mean. Below is a poem from one of the prayer cards at the funeral that describes the feelings of his family and friends perfectly:

God saw he was getting tired, and a cure was not to be;
So he put His arms around him, and whispered, "Come wtih me"
With tearful eyes we watched him suffer, and saw him fade away;
Although we loved him dearly, we could not make him stay.
A golden hear stopped beating, hard working hands to rest;
God broke our hears to prove to us,
He only takes THE BEST!

God Bless you all.

Susan Goforth (Dallas, TX )
September 28, 2003

Thanks to all of you who signed the guest book, and who have helped ease the pain of Ron's Real Life Family

Peace be with all of You My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

Z

Zircon Jenva

Damn, I am crying.........

That poem just ripped me up /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif.

God Speed Sallie.

I

imported_CaesarDoP

Here is the responce from one of Ron's other Daughters....

I am absolutley amazed at all my dad's cyber friends. You all meant so much to him and he talked about all of you and the game often. We used to tease him about how much he played UO but now I see why....people like you! Take care and God bless you all!!

Brenda G (Chandler, AZ )
September 29, 2003

I am sure Ron is looking down and smiling, knowing that his Children now see why he played UO and why he visited U-Hall.

Peace be with all of You My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

G

*Urp* was doing all right till I read that poem too - *wipes tear*

Sooper small plug - checking out the link in my sig is one way to help people who suffer from cancer, Altezhimers (pardon the spelling) etc. Any effort at all that can be put towards wiping away diseases is good work IHMO - I wonder if stratics shouldn't have its own team? *goes off to research this*

F

Fugazi

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif For you Ron from all the lads and lasses down in Wales.God Bless mate!!!

G

Grom_Lighthammer

Farewell Sallie!
When I was new to the boards you helped with many of my questions.
I thank you for that...
You will be sorely missed.

*bows*

Grom

<center>
</center>
<center> The Lag Monster Cometh!!</center>

I

imported_CaesarDoP

Chinalilly,

Thank You !!!

Peace be with You My Friend

Caesar

S

Suzie

Oh my gosh! Y'all are so incredible. I have been looking at all of the posts since about 6:00 tonight, and now I come across this awesome memorial. Thank you so much for doing this! I am Ron's daughter, and he is the only one I would allow to call me Suzie.

I cannot begin to tell you how comforting it is to know what a great group of friends he had. I am in tears as I read all of the wonderful tributes to my dad. Thanks to Caesar for directing me here and thanks to you all for the wonderful memories, thoughts, and prayers. But most of all thanks to each and everyone of you for giving him such a wonderful distraction from the pain and suffering he endured over the last 2 1/2 years. God bless and peace be with you all.

S

Suzie

I'm not very computer literate, so it took me a while to muddle through and get a username, etc. That said, I cannot thank you wonderful people enough for all of the great tributes to my dad. I laugh at all of the coffee references. I, too, am a coffee fanatic, and he was the only one that could drink my strong coffee without watering it down.

You are all incredible people, and he loved sharing his days with you. I am so sorry that he did not get to meet Caesar. He tried so hard to hang on. He is at peace with God now and watching over us all. One day we will all meet with him and share a cup of coffee together. God Bless you all.

D

Dor of Sonoma

*smiles*

I am so glad to see you here. Thank you for wading through the registration process to contact us. I initially posted the URL (web address) of this thread in the paper, but apparently it had been edited out before the final copy. I am glad Caesar was able to direct you here after all.

You are all in our thoughts. Your dad was so very proud of you.

*hugs*

S

_Sun_

I just browsed thru this.....truly heartwarming to see the many sincere comments made.

a brief poem came to mind while I read this .(latter part from the A Song of Nimrodel-Lord of the Rings) Made me think of how he may have viewed himself in fantasy.

Of old he was an Elven-king,
A lord of tree and glen,
When golden were the boughs in spring
In fair Lothlorien.
From helm to sea they saw him leap,
As arrow from the string,
And dive into the water deep,
As mew upon the wing.
The wind was in his flowing hair,
The foam about him shone;
Afar they saw him strong and fair
Go riding like a swan.
But from the West has come no word,
And on the Hither Shore
No tidings Elven-folk have heard
Of Amroth evermore.

Sorry I never got to know you.

G

I'm lost for words.... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

I didnt know you personally but wish I did, you are at peace now and have a fantastic community to carry your good name on for you, I shed a tear reading this post so that's testament to your impact here and in real life, I know you are sorely missed by many but the fond way with which people recall stories involving you is heart warming. Be at peace wherever you are.....

God's speed.

F

fartica

Im not gonna pretend i knew him but im so sorry that he died and i'll pray for you and rest of family.

D

Destiny Fawn

I didnt know sallie, but i wanted to say I am deeply touched by the show and outpouring of love for this man. My thoughts and prayers go out to His Family.

W

Wyrmsbane

I remember you well, lad. Rest well, friend. Stratics, and the world at large, is at a loss now...

*doffs hat*

Damien

F

Felicity

I just learned today that Sallie, or Clyde of Moonglo as I knew him, had passed away. He was such an amazing person. Felicity is my smith character that he knew best. We spent a lot of time together at the Brit forge helping people out and basically having a good time. I had heard that he had been looking for me for a couple days and I finally ran into him at the forge the day before he checked into the hospital, which must have been 5 or so months ago. I had no idea that he had any health issues, but he finally told me that night and also told me that he wanted me to have all of his UO possessions. Although I could not keep his houses, I kept everything that eluded to him in some way. A box made my him, a whispering rose with his characters name on it, and the valorite cloak that Clyde always wore. I am going to treasure that always. As you can see, I"m not a regular on the forums, but I wish I had been so that I could have kept up to date on his progress. Clyde was truly one of the kindest people in the game. I will remember him always. That last night as I talked to him, he thought things looked dim. He told me that he would tell my father hello for me when he got to heaven. I'm sure he kept his word. Clyde will always be in my heart.

Chew

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first time I read this thread ... I had to cry !

I never met sallie, but I often read his posts here.
And then I felt the urgent wish to make something, well .. I did.

For SALLIE and all of his friends

... and while creating this flash-movie I had to cry even more, and it seems I cant stop crying.

Please forgive me !

Sallie ... wherever you are, I am very proud of you, and your exhausting fight, although I was "only" able to read your written words.

Chew

<center>
<font color=green>EUROPA</font color=green></center>

G

I'm sorry i never got a chance to know you. My prayers go to your family and everyone else here. I'm sorta shocked for words, so God bless.

*raises cup of coffee*

T

thepiper

*sits back, pulls back curtains and enjoys a view of wooded hills*
*wipes a tear away as sips first sip of Mackinac Island Fudge coffee*

I've been reading these posts far longer than i've been posting myself. Sallie's posts will always be remembered here. His personality along with all of you who have posted here are the main reason I didn't quit UO after I started playing. As I daily see more and more newer players that show little respect for anyone else, I come to the posts more often. I know that the base community here is strong with people that live in rl the basic virtues present in the game.

Sallie will be missed by all here that ever read even one of his posts. Maybe one day, someone will find a way to have events throughout rl areas for us to finally put faces and real personalities behind the characters that live in our in-game community. Till then, as a tribute to Sallie in my own little way, I will be even more present on these forums ready to try to help others as he always did.

We can all be so lucky to be remembered and honored by so many.

Sallie, may your travels in Heaven be as adventurous and as full of love and friendship as they were here.

S

sallie's girl

This is truly amazing....heartwarming...Thank you so much for this. Thank you.......