[Lock Picking] 95-GM Skill gains

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
M

Maximilliean

OK I know the best way to GM is to use the TW way, but my picker is also my thief/poisoner and if I even think about going in there with him a pixie flys in my window and smacks me upside my head. I have managed to gain a couple of tenths from picking locks of dungeon chests. Do the chest difficulty vary with the dungeon or the level of the dungeon? Like the chest on Shame lvl4 are hard to pick then the ones on lvl 1 or the ones in Destard are harder then Coventous. Is it even possible to GM that way or will I just have to wait for another vet reward to get a soulstone?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
The containers vary by type, but stay within a specific range for that specific location. The relative level of the dungeon doesn't matter - certain items spawn of certain fixed ranges, based on what the designers put in at the time.

Typically, you're looking for the wood & metal random chests to pick.

STATIC containers seem to change randomly with each relock. I had the static chest in the Serp's hold warrior's guild go level 4 on me, and I was able to sit there, breaking picks on it, on one character until I hit the minimum to pick a level 4 chest.

Random Barrels, kegs and crates are level 1-2.
randlom Chests are level 2-4.

For example, the Destard crate area typically has 3 random chests in it, IIRC - 2 of one level, and 1 of another. Similarly, Gypsy and brigand random spawns will have 1 each of two different levels.

You can also find someone with a bunch of paragon chests that need opening, and pick them.

If you can gain access to the event area that has been used several times in the past (I think during the Lenshire events and others - an underground area with LOTS of static chests and an island), it can be an excellent place to train. Most shards had it password accessible from a point in the Delucia passage, IIRC, and left it open after the event. In fact, several EMs had events messed up from the (different) password from the PREVIOUS use of the cavern still working, and people jumping ahead of them, so each cavern should have 1-2 working passwords.