• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

15 new plants?

N

Ni-

If they are adding 15 new plants, why not bump it up to 17(just like the current plant system) and make it a whole other branched plant system?

That would add the same amount of controllable challange of plant growing instead of random drop after random drop.

I don't know if they were going to allow for the plants to be colored or not, but random seeds and random colors would really make it arduous to get the plant you want.

If they were in the same basic layout, when ever you need a particular plant you can work your way towards the plant type/color desired.

With a straight random drop system, people are left to the will of the RNG god. Not always the most fun thing in the world...

Just an Idea...

K

kalzaketh

:bowdown: bigquestion, what mobs will drop them and where?

B

Bullet

Why do all the big crafting and non combat players have to rely on fighting to enjoy their play style?? Why cant they be gotton from a crafting Quest instead of fighting?

N

Ni-

Why do all the big crafting and non combat players have to rely on fighting to enjoy their play style?? Why cant they be gotton from a crafting Quest instead of fighting?
That is even more reason to encourage another plant branching system. I feel that having to hunt for the original 3 seed types is fine, as long as the following 14 seed types can be gotten from the play style they do enjoy.

I don't really mind the first 3 seeds coming from killing mobs or from a quest system. I just hope that it is Branched/Cross pollination system just like the current system, simply with different plants!

N

Ni-

Oh, and I hope Hedges are one of the new plants! That would be pretty nice to be able to build your own hedge row or maze with a bunch of individual hedge plants!

F

Flora Green

A few of us are wondering why we can't cross pollinate. Or at the very least why the plants won't produce their own seeds. Not everyone wants to fight for the seeds. Still waiting for the "reasoning" behind this. We wait all this time and the plants aren't implemented correctly. :thumbdown:

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few of us are wondering why we can't cross pollinate. Or at the very least why the plants won't produce their own seeds. Not everyone wants to fight for the seeds. Still waiting for the "reasoning" behind this. We wait all this time and the plants aren't implemented correctly. :thumbdown:
Yes I agree they should at least produce seeds. I am curious to see what monsters they are going to put the seeds on.

B

Bullet

My guess is they will be put on a monster that a gardner cant possibly kill. But ill try *grabs his spade and shovel * maybe i should just throw fertile dirt at the monster!

N

Ni-

I don't know how the first set of cross pollinating plants is designed, but unless they used alot of hard coding, I don't see why they shouldn't/wouldn't set this second round of plants up the same way.

N

Ni-

My guess is they will be put on a monster that a gardner cant possibly kill. But ill try *grabs his spade and shovel * maybe i should just throw fertile dirt at the monster!
ooo, you throw firtile dirt at the monster, then wait 5-7 days then the moster explodes from the inside out thanks to the plants growing inside of it! THAT is how a gardener kills the monsters! :D

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. It will probably be on a monster that I can't kill.

A

Amathist of PoC

Oh, and I hope Hedges are one of the new plants! That would be pretty nice to be able to build your own hedge row or maze with a bunch of individual hedge plants!
OMG that would be soo pretty....I vote hedges too....maybe even a flowering hedge so green with like white flowers or red if you cross pollinate. *dreams*

E

Evilminion

I'm hoping for new flowers! Orchids, fuscia, lavender, Russian sage, peonies, daisies... *dreamy sigh* Can't wait to see what's on the list!

F

Flora Green

I'm hoping for new flowers! Orchids, fuscia, lavender, Russian sage, peonies, daisies... *dreamy sigh* Can't wait to see what's on the list!
Wouldn't that be great?! It would be nice to have tulips for spring and chrysanthemums for fall. Oh and black-eyed susans.

A

Amathist of PoC

Can someone point me to the release notes on the 15 new plants - I realize they probably do not say what they are releasing but maybe a when?

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday120.html

from friday's FOF:
We're firmly stuck in that time-between-publishes that everyone loves so much. The current plan is for Publish 55 to hit TC next week, but this is a good weekend to work on any Spring Cleaning collection you've been putting off, gardeners may want to lay in extra supplies of fertile dirt (the new plant types are up to 15 now, not 10!) and the more martial among us should be certain to polish their weapons and perfect their spells - while there is a lull in the battle right now, the war is not yet over...
there is more information - but I'm not sure where. Right now we don't know much about them (except that we are supposed to be getting cocoa trees).

H

Hunters Moon

I think the seeds should drop as loot from earth elementals. Fertle Dirt is already a loot item on them.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Too bad we don't get to play the pollination game with the new bunch of plants....the bonsais lost their charm way too fast. From a previous post, I hope we get some lily pads, pine trees (like the pet fresheners), bramble, orfleuers, and foxgloves. Quite fond of orchids (maybe I'll have better luck in game than in rl with them!), honeysuckle if suck passes the language filter, rose bushes, tulips, irises, peonies, truffle mushrooms, any variety of berries, unusual fruit trees/vines like chestnut, macademia nut, pomegranate, passion fruit, or fig. and in honor of the legendary CatHat... how about catnip???

F

Flora Green

I can see the vendors now:

Pampas Gras s
Prikkly Pear
Honeysu kle

They really need to fix that. :)

T

Teeshy

Ooh, hedges would be gorgeous ;) *wishes too* So would more flowers

Thing is though, I'm about to move from a castle to an 18 x 18 - I wont have ROOM to store all the extra seeds! =o!

A

Amathist of PoC

A silly thought but imagine a new vet reward - a hedge the size of a statue that you can craft into a sculpture of selected UO animals. add that to the hedges we are wishing for and its just a pretty picture.

N

Ni-

Ooh, hedges would be gorgeous ;) *wishes too* So would more flowers

Thing is though, I'm about to move from a castle to an 18 x 18 - I wont have ROOM to store all the extra seeds! =o!
Less storage for sure, but the house itself could be 10 fold more enjoyable! Designing to your own desire and it doesn't have to be grey and small spaces!

Enjoy!

N

Ni-

ooo, it would only take 16 plants to add them as the 5th Generation of the current plants system we have now!

That's another idea!

That would also revitalize the first 4 generations somewhat since those would be needed to reach the 5th Gen new plants! For the people that don't currently have the first 4 Gens saved up and ready to cross pollinate for a 5th Gen, that is...

N

Ni-

I so hope the devs will reconsider the 5th generation.
So you like the idea of a 5th Generation, consisting of 16 new plants, over the idea of using the same 4 Generation plant system with 17 new plants? I don't really have a preference to either, as long as it is one of them.

Anything really as long as it is something more than 'find a seed and grow it'.

I think having a separate 4 Generation plant system wouldn't be too much work as long as they used templates as opposed to some kind of hard coding. I don't, however, have much experience with C++, nor access to the code that the plant system uses. (I work with an older top down language)

I can only hope that Jeremy or someone with a voice over there at least gives either cross pollination idea a chance!

G

galefan2004

I'm not sure if they should be cross polinated. However, they should definately be able to produce seeds. The current rare plants don't produce seeds either, and I don't see anyone actually bothering with them because of this.

G

galefan2004

OMG that would be soo pretty....I vote hedges too....maybe even a flowering hedge so green with like white flowers or red if you cross pollinate. *dreams*
When did UO become SIMS Online? I think this would be a tad extreme. I mean, I can understand that decorating a house is PART of the game, but we have people talking like they should be able to get these seeds without actually playing the game at all. Killing things is part of the game. Killing harder things is part of the game. Picking seeds to grow into pretty hedges is part of SIMS Online (does that game even exist anymore). The real problem with UO is that it became more about showing off your 1337 house and 1337 looking toon a long long time ago. Its more of a chat room with pretty graphics then an actual game at this point.

F

Flora Green

Ni-

No real preference, just not the "find a seed and grow it" as you noted above. It's simply not practical, especially from a shop owners perspective. It's as if they just tired of hearing gardeners complain and decided, let's toss them something to shut them up for the next four years. Even if they don't have the time or manpower to do cross-pollinatation for this set, at least give them the ability to produce their own seeds. At the very least they can label the seeds accurately. A foxglove seed, a tulip seed, etc. It'll also be very annoying when laying out the pots. The key to sucessful gardening is organization. Campions here, ferns there, etc. What will we have? Rows of "peculiar seeds" that will be a mess when they reach full growth.

I'm very pleased they are giving new things to grow, but I don't have the RL time (or desire) to bother monster farming each time I want a new batch to plant. Especially when I have no idea what in the world I'll end up with.

F

Flora Green

When did UO become SIMS Online? I think this would be a tad extreme. I mean, I can understand that decorating a house is PART of the game, but we have people talking like they should be able to get these seeds without actually playing the game at all. Killing things is part of the game. Killing harder things is part of the game. Picking seeds to grow into pretty hedges is part of SIMS Online (does that game even exist anymore). The real problem with UO is that it became more about showing off your 1337 house and 1337 looking toon a long long time ago. Its more of a chat room with pretty graphics then an actual game at this point.
Since when should gardening and cooking be about killing things? I don't mean killing for a set of ribs, but seeds? Sugar? What is logical about that. The wonderful thing about UO is we HAVE the option to hunt, garden, deco, do bods or whatever we so desire. There ARE people who do not hunt at all. I have a couple of friends who, beyond mongbats at Moonglow gate, never killed anything. They liked crafting. That's what they did.

What on earth is wrong with wanting flowering hedges? I spent 8 years hunting the majority of the time. I don't WANT to do that now. I choose to play the game my way as you have the option to play as you wish. Aside from trying to get 10th anniversary items for the turn in, I don't do anything BUT garden now. I have limited time to play, a VERY slow connection and a kid who at any moment may want my immediate attention. I am safe logging out in my house with a bag full of plants. I'll be dead logging out in a dungeon. Besides, I LIKE growing plants.

L

Locke

They are adding a lot of plants, but they seem to all be half-baked. They should slap them back in the oven for awhile and keep the old plant system going.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd really like an answer about the cross-pollination too - a separate crossing grid would be fine with me.

BTW - the main plant system begins with 1st generation seeds dropped from monsters, but ALL of the other seeds in the main system can only be gotten through raising plants and cross-pollinating them (not talking about bonsai/ant quest seeds here). So, the amount of monster-bashing built in to the original system is very small, since you can produce your own 1st generation seeds once you have a collection of them from monster loot. Adding a new crossing grid of plants would be in keeping with the original plant system - not a departure from it.

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When did UO become SIMS Online? I think this would be a tad extreme. I mean, I can understand that decorating a house is PART of the game, but we have people talking like they should be able to get these seeds without actually playing the game at all. Killing things is part of the game. Killing harder things is part of the game. Picking seeds to grow into pretty hedges is part of SIMS Online
I have a feeling that you have never played a full time gardener? It is a lot of work when you're supporting vendors full of plants, including making all your own potion kegs (or for those of us that choose, buying them). It's not like SIMS were you just snap your fingers and they are there, and it plays an integral part in UO that even the most battle-hardened players look for, and that's something to make their houses look a bit nicer. UO has been that way for 10 years, or else no one would have ever come up with stacking shades of blue cloth together to make it look like you have an aquarium, and how many millions of those have you seen in homes over the years? As long as there has been housing, nearly every person that's ever owned one wanted to make it look nicer in some way. Gardening is just a big-time supporter of that.

UO is hands above a lot of other MMO's out there (like WoW for example) in the different playstyles you can have. A person can go their entire UO lives without ever having to kill anything. Some people actually like that, and we have that diversity here. Don't wish for us to be like every other cookie-cutter MMO out there where you have to go to monster A to get this, monster B to get that, wave your magic wand, and have an item, without any of the joy and fun at having made and created it yourself even if monster bashing isn't your thing.

So you like the idea of a 5th Generation, consisting of 16 new plants, over the idea of using the same 4 Generation plant system with 17 new plants? I don't really have a preference to either, as long as it is one of them.

Anything really as long as it is something more than 'find a seed and grow it'.

I think having a separate 4 Generation plant system wouldn't be too much work as long as they used templates as opposed to some kind of hard coding. I don't, however, have much experience with C++, nor access to the code that the plant system uses. (I work with an older top down language)

I can only hope that Jeremy or someone with a voice over there at least gives either cross pollination idea a chance!
A 5th generation would be heaven to gardeners and something they have been begging the developers for for years now (ever since Auger said that one was on the burner back before AOS, only to be set aside when they ran short on time). It's just like...the holy grail of gardening *laughs*. To actually get something to work towards again would make a huge chunk of us happy.

In that same vein, your idea of a new 4 generation set would also be incredibly fun. I will never forget those first few months after gardening originally came out and we were all growing like mad to get all 4 generations grown to see what we were actually getting. I terrorized boglings for seeds! hehe - and at that time owned a villa that I overran with plant bowls and plants, even to the point of kicking the vendors out! hehehe It was a great time in UO, and could be so again.

I'm afraid that the plant system must be too complicated for a developer to justify taking the time to sit down and code out a 5th gen (or new set of 4 gen) plants, which is really sad, because it's been one of the best systems in game and provided a lot for everyone (even down to that guy that has just one lillies stuck in the corner of his house cause he thought it made it look nicer). Perhaps the code is too hard-cored into the game to get much change out of it, but one can wish can't they?

Oh Ni, here's an idea I was tossing around with my friend the other night of a way to introduce new plants to the world without having to monster bash and make gardeners happy too...

Take the existing plants we have and make 15 of them suddenly start producing resources. Those resources, when planted in fertile dirt would create the new plant. Say for example you have a new kind of cactus. Suddenly red tribarrel cactus are producting a resource that when you pull it off the plant is named "a long cactus spike" and when clicked on says "try planting me in rich dirt". When you plant it and grow it, it comes out into the new cactus. Doesn't even have to be a crossable or seed producing plant because you now have a way to grow to get more of the unique seeds. Think of the possibilities! Bright green water plants could produce "a leaf seedling" which grows into a water lily, Orange ponytail palms could produce a "small cocoa bean" that grows into a cocoa tree, Plain pampas grass could produce "a small thicket of branches" that grow into a hedge section, etc etc. There is a huge unused area of gardening there (221 seperate plants of which only a minute few produce resources) that has a way of introducing a lot of things to our little world. :)

Anyhoo, I'm done rambling here hehe...

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite fond of orchids...

Vanilla pods come from the vanilla orchid plant, no? We could grow the orchids, orchids produce vanilla pods as resources, chefs process pods with liquor to make vanilla for chocolate making...

N

Ni-

Oh Ni, here's an idea I was tossing around with my friend the other night of a way to introduce new plants to the world without having to monster bash and make gardeners happy too...

Take the existing plants we have and make 15 of them suddenly start producing resources. Those resources, when planted in fertile dirt would create the new plant. Say for example you have a new kind of cactus. Suddenly red tribarrel cactus are producting a resource that when you pull it off the plant is named "a long cactus spike" and when clicked on says "try planting me in rich dirt". When you plant it and grow it, it comes out into the new cactus. Doesn't even have to be a crossable or seed producing plant because you now have a way to grow to get more of the unique seeds. Think of the possibilities! Bright green water plants could produce "a leaf seedling" which grows into a water lily, Orange ponytail palms could produce a "small cocoa bean" that grows into a cocoa tree, Plain pampas grass could produce "a small thicket of branches" that grow into a hedge section, etc etc. There is a huge unused area of gardening there (221 seperate plants of which only a minute few produce resources) that has a way of introducing a lot of things to our little world. :)

Anyhoo, I'm done rambling here hehe...
ahh... using the currently existing plants to produce different resources, which are basically the new seeds, to acquire the 15 stated new plants... interesting indeed!

As long as it is more intuitive than: kill mob, plant seed, cross fingers/hold breath for something you don't have or something you do want.

ooo, a new resource for an item that could be used like a strength/agility potion for intelligence. Maybe make a leaf that is grinded alchemically to produce an intelligence potion. a ginkobaloba reg! ...went off topic...

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahh... using the currently existing plants to produce different resources, which are basically the new seeds, to acquire the 15 stated new plants... interesting indeed!
I agree - great idea!

N

Ni-

I agree - great idea!
hhmmm... but would it still be possible to have colored and non-colored plants via this method? I like the option of colored or non-colored plants. If that could be worked out then great!

L

Lady_Mina

I'm not getting too excited about the new plants..untill i actualy know the release date of these new seeds.

God knows it could be next year...

N

Ni-

I'm not getting too excited about the new plants..untill i actualy know the release date of these new seeds.

God knows it could be next year...
It sounds like their current plan is to introduce 15 new, non cross pollinatable, seeds with pub 55 which could hit TC this week(from the 08-08-08 FoF, but more than likely next week).

I'd be fine with them pushing the new seeds back a publish if that would mean a more intuitive implementation of those seeds via some kind of cross pollination/resource method.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be fine with them pushing the new seeds back a publish if that would mean a more intuitive implementation of those seeds via some kind of cross pollination/resource method.
ME TOO!

*oh, please please please*

F

Flora Green

ME THREE!!

*crosses fingers*
Please, Devs. Consider the ideas here and REALLY give gardeners love that won't wear off in 2 months time.:D:please:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For gardeners on LS that don't want to be involved in PvM, I'll gladly donate seeds when they start dropping!

D

Deb

Hopefully the addition of the extra 5 is from some cross pollinating.:please:

N

NaKasha Saran

This is very disheartening. Why not just add onto the current plant system and restructure the crosspollination. Add one more 1st gen plant into the mix, then with crossbreeding we can get the 2nd gens, to get the 3rds to get the 4ths...

And really... plants that REQUIRE fertile dirt instead of it being optional for accelerated growth is just ridiculous...

UO bombed with the addition of bonzai trees... please don't botch this one too for us gardeners!

E

Eslake

UO bombed with the addition of bonzai trees... please don't botch this one too for us gardeners!
Precisely.
Bonsai plants already serve as an example of what we do with plants that produce neither seeds nor resources. We grow a few, then leave any further seeds on the corpses they drop in.

The current cross-breeding system is a simple linear table. If you cross plant 2 and plant 6 you get plant 4.

Duplicating that system for a new set of plants is not difficult in the least. The gumps are already there, the seeds are already there (or they say they are), and even if it is hard-coded and not script (which would be insane) they can simply cut and paste it and change the relevant values to the new plants.

Personally - I would like to see more resources.
My own wish would be a number of different plants that produce resources an Alchemist can use to produce dyes that work like Toku dyes.
Perhaps 4 or 5 specific colors, involving mixing of resources from at least 3 different plants for each, and resulting in a 1 use potion that acts as a toku dye.
They could even require an NPC-purchased catalyst for each one created.

N

NaKasha Saran

The whole attraction to bonzai trees (for real life gardeners that is) is the fact that you can change them. You can trim them and tie them up to grow in all sorts of weird directions & ways.

With that said, the bonzai plants in UO are a sad excuse for the beautiful, expressive, plants.

That is why we do exactly what the replier to my post said. We grew a few at the beginning to see what they all looked like and now we just toss the seeds... hell, I couldn't even give the things away when I ran my plant vendors!

Please rethink this idea and implement another set of crossable plants! The whole fun in gardening is being able to cross-pollinate them! Don't take that away.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the added plants are an EXTRA done as a side project by some developer. So, they probably did not have the time for all the bells and whistles. Remember what might seem easy on paper might not be so straight-forward to code.