• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

1,000,000 UO Gold Reward

D

dragongunner

Hail UO players,

I have a major technical log in problem. I have posted about this log-in problem before under the title of "UO Technical Assistance Please". I have followed all suggestions with the exception of emailing Jeremy to see if she could help. To date I am still unsuccessful in logging in.

Before I contact Jeremy, I would like to make things a little more interesting by offering a 1,000,000 (1 million) UO Gold Reward to any player who provides me with the suggestion that fixes my log-in problem. The only catch is that I will only be able to hand out the on the Lake Superior shard as I don’t X-shard (actually don’t know how as I never have done it).

Here is my problem:

"I have not been able to log into my server (or any for that matter). I know that the servers went down a few days ago, but apparently that had been fixed, however I still cannot log in. I have tried everything. I have uninstalled UO completely (previous suggestion thanks), used a registry cleaner to make sure that old UO files were deleted (previous suggestion thanks), and then performed a clean install of UO. Additionally, I have made sure that all of my firewalls have UO listed as an exception.

I previously contacted the UO knowledge base on 3 separate occasions and each time a techie responded, however their suggestions were of no use at all (I got better suggestions from posting here last week...surprised?). This particular problem has also happened prior to the servers going down the other week, however normally after a few log in attempts I was successful in logging in.

It has now been nearly 2 weeks since I have been able to log in. I only play with the KR client but this message also popped up when I attempted to log into the 2d client. I have since uninstalled the 2d client as I thought that it might somehow be interfering with the KR client. The following message only pops up after shard selection:

"Network Error: An error has occurred in the synchronization between the log in servers and this world. Please close your client and try again".

For those who replied to my previous post I want to thank you very much. I have tried all of your suggestions; however I am still unable to log in. I apologize for reposting this topic but I thought I might get additional suggestions by offering a "reward" plus I have no idea if I kept on writing this problem in my initial post that anyone would read it as its now over a week plus old.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions and willingly handing out the reward to the player who provides me with the winning suggestion to my problem. I know that you might be thinking that this guy will never pay up, but I assure you that is not the case. I belong the Lords and Ladies guild on Lake Superior and it would be a major disgrace to the entire guild if I were to lie to you as we try to promote all that is Just, and Honorable within UO.

Thanking you in advance,

Dragongunner

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you able to trace route and ping both compassion.owo.com and your server? Also, do you have any other computers that you could try it on? And, what is your internet connection speed and type.

And, 1million gold? Bah, I'll help because I'm nice. :)

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i was getting this alot when i was using kr but i was able to fix it by logging in on 2d and moving the character to another location and logging back in kr. since you have tried 2d as well thats out, do you have anyone that can go to your house or where you are logged out and see if your character is popping in when you attempt to log in?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's interesting and oddly familiar, something to help troubleshoot:

A) Check your system time and date to see if your m.board's clock battery had gone dead, I've had weird issues arising from this previously

1) When was the last time you were able to play UO with this same computer?

2) Was any software (including Windows) installed since then? Which?

3) Did you copy over any files like uo.cfg etc after you have installed?

4) I take it that all patches went through successfully? (ie no error messages in the patch window)

5) Which AV/Firewall program are you using? Can you disable it and try restarting the 2D client?

6) Do you have another account to test? If not, create a trial account (remove CC info after activating to prevent billing after trial period).

Edited: Added extra info.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was getting this alot when i was using kr but i was able to fix it by logging in on 2d and moving the character to another location and logging back in kr. since you have tried 2d as well thats out, do you have anyone that can go to your house or where you are logged out and see if your character is popping in when you attempt to log in?
He gets it at the shard selection screen.

That's the puzzling thing.

-Galen's player

L

Lord Kynd

what does it tell you when you try to log in ?
anything ?
or is this what it say's ? ' "Network Error: An error has occurred in the synchronization between the log in servers and this world. Please close your client and try again". '
?
if that is what it say's try disabling all your firewalls and other crap like antivirus and see if it allows you to log into the game then. (seems like i got a message something like this once when my zone alarm got currupted by another firewall.)

do you script/cheat ? maybe something screwed with your uo.cfg. or login.cfg file's

also not sure if this still works or not , but you could try the old old method .. if i remember correctly it went something like ea_username , then your password as normal.

also not sure if you tried this or not, but uninstall UO, download the client from uo.com so you get the latest version.. also saves time updating..

i'll think of more hint's to help you log in.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oops not thinking clearly today shard selection screen is BEFORE char selection screen *slap* ok i feel better now lol

L

Lord Kynd

He gets it at the shard selection screen.

That's the puzzling thing.

-Galen's player

nope not at all, i shall be availiable to collect as soon as you read this....

the problem
peerguardian or any other peer to peer ip blocker.
as soon as you mentioned they could get to the shard selection screen i remembered my peerguardian did exactly the same thing .. happens when EA changes there servers ..

go thru and check permisions for EA addy's

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would definitely look into your clock on your computer... Also you may want to look at anything that might be running in the background causing you to send mixed signals to the server.

Do you run behind a router? Perhaps try bypassing your router if you do..... Your router may be the cause....

Hope you get logged in.... I'm no computer wiz.... so I really don't know what else to suggest seeing as you have tried all the avenues I would have suggested.... that's a very odd message your getting.

L

Lord Kynd

nope not at all, i shall be availiable to collect as soon as you read this....

the problem
as soon as you mentioned they could get to the shard selection screen i remembered my peerguardian did exactly the same thing .. happens when EA changes there servers ..

make sure you have these EA addy's on perm allow ...

Electronic Arts, Inc starting IP 159.153.0.0 ending IP 159.153.255.255
Electronic Arts, Inc starting IP 192.168.1.100 ending IP 192.168.1.100
Electronic Arts Taiwan starting IP 211.72.250.10 ending IP 211.72.250.10

that should fix your issue

peerguardian is a program that you use if you download from peer to peer sites like torrents, it keeps the anti-p2p people off your system.
and EA is among the anti-p3p people on many of the list's that block peer to peer transmissions.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had it happen to me, last time was about a month ago (no Router or firewall on mine) I did the shut down reboot & ti no help, tried it a 2nd time & no problems, logged in. It is a odd saying, and it catches your attention when it does happen. I would guess 4 or 6 times in the last 7-9 mos. Never in any of the prev 8 yrs either did I ever get this message.
Now I did not see in your post here, what operating Sys are you using ? I do know Vista can be tempermental & it needs to be to run in Admin mode (thats what my kid has to run his in to get it to work (He also runs UOA & that too in Admin mode) Only other suggestions I would make is make sure there is nothing in the Patch folder, and if you have a friend have him send you his 2D UO.exe & Client.exe . Possibly yours might be corrupted some how, you never know. Good luck

L

Lord Kynd

I would definitely look into your clock on your computer...

the clock wouldn't disallow them to log in past the shard selection screen.
at best teh clock will only currupt files when it writes to them and try's to put a date/time stamp that is invalid.
usually the computer's clocks adjust when you connect to the internet also off central time servers used world wide.

L

Lore Master

I am no computer expert but registry cleaner could be your problem it may have erased a file on your computer that is required to play UO. you can try a few things try a system restore to just before the last time you could play UO without a problem, then install uo try it if it don't work then uninstall UO, restart your computer after uninstalling uo and then reinstall uo again and try it. i know it sounds crazy but it worked for me once. also if you use UO assist try logging into uo without UO assist. your last resort would be to a format of your entire hard drive and reinstall everything again and then uo.

L

Lord Kynd

can you provide a list of process's running ?
not programs... process's (control+alt+del )

my bet is still on a p2p ip blocker tho because that is very very close to the same message i was getting when mine blocked EA.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. Give this a try. Reset the time on your computer. Syncronize it with internet time per the internet time flag on the window you get when doubleclicking the time display at the bottom of your window.

L

Lore Master

one more thing to add try doing a d frag after uninstalling uo after you do your system restore of course it cant hurt then reinstall uo. it cant hurt.

D

dragongunner

I humbly thank you all for replying so soon.

I dont know if its important or not but I am playing from overseas and not in the US.

Dragongunner,
Just curious ... what install CD are you using?
I did use a CD back in the day for my initial install of UO Samauri Edition. Since then I have downloaded KR from the site that UO suggested when I was a beta tester. I have since deleted that and have downloaded KR from another site.

Are you able to trace route and ping both compassion.owo.com and your server? Also, do you have any other computers that you could try it on? And, what is your internet connection speed and type.
I wanted to try the trace route and ping but I forgot the owo.com portion. Will do that soon. My internet connection is cable at 4Mbs.

what does it tell you when you try to log in ?
anything ?
or is this what it say's ? ' "Network Error: An error has occurred in the synchronization between the log in servers and this world. Please close your client and try again". '
?
if that is what it say's try disabling all your firewalls and other crap like antivirus and see if it allows you to log into the game then. (seems like i got a message something like this once when my zone alarm got currupted by another firewall.)

do you script/cheat ? maybe something screwed with your uo.cfg. or login.cfg file's

also not sure if this still works or not , but you could try the old old method .. if i remember correctly it went something like ea_username , then your password as normal.
I am able to get to the username and password screen with no problems. The network error message only happens after I select the server. I have already disabled all firewalls and anti-virus programs to no avail. As far as script/cheat I have never used any (sometimes I wish I knew how so I could rule Fell, but as it stands I just get killed all the time (not one confirmed kill yet with a soon 4th year account in Nov). LOL. Never heard of the ea_username method and will report if that might work.

the problem

This sounds very interesting...however I have no idea what peerguardian or any other peer to peer ip blocker means. Could you please ellaborate on this. Also how do I go through and check permissions for EA addy's?

One more - did you buy a 7th char code?
No. The only thing that I did differently last time in game was that I used my advanced char token to make a new Tamer. It worked fine and I hope that I logged off at my house and not on my boat. Would hate if my boat decayed and sunk with me in it. LOL

A) Check your system time and date to see if your m.board's clock battery had gone dead, I've had weird issues arising from this previously

1) When was the last time you were able to play UO with this same computer?

2) Was any software (including Windows) installed since then? Which?

3) Did you copy over any files like uo.cfg etc after you have installed?

4) I take it that all patches went through successfully? (ie no error messages in the patch window)

5) Which AV/Firewall program are you using? Can you disable it and try restarting the 2D client?

6) Do you have another account to test? If not, create a trial account (remove CC info after activating to prevent billing after trial period).
1)The last time I was able to play was nearly 2 weeks ago now.
2)Yes I downloaded and installed windows service pack 3 but this was after I couldnt log in. I got all my updates to speed as I didnt know what else to do.
3)No
4)Patches all went through successfully.
5)Only using normal windows firewall and use Kapersky anti-virus program.
6)Unfortunately not. I will try to create a trial account as suggested.

I am still at work at the moment but will be home in a couple of hours. I look forward to trying your suggestions and hope that I can give away the reward soon.

Will keep you posted.

L

Lord Kynd

This sounds very interesting...however I have no idea what peerguardian or any other peer to peer ip blocker means. Could you please ellaborate on this. Also how do I go through and check permissions for EA addy's?.

i think normal web Wiki's are still ok to post here , am definitly not posting it to help anyone sell anything in any way shape nor form... for the record....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

and without knowing what is running on your particular system it is hard to say how to check for permissions..
windows firewall btw is crap FYI

L

Lord Kynd

and why would you download the client from 'another site' ?
you never know what people might do .
get rid of it and download a legit copy from EA to be safe.

this won't help your log in issue, but is a good practice all the same.

D

dragongunner

This is very true. I am looking on the ea website now. Cant seem to find it. Could you send me the link please. I always try to be careful but I guess in my reckless abandon to download the game quickly....well you get the rest.

L

Lore Master

consider my methods as a last resort try there methods first i really have nothing to gain here because only i play one shard and its chessy but i would not mind a million gold on your shard if i ever have time to play another shard.

D

dragongunner

Sry I just remembered that I used a recommeded website from fileplanet that I found from Ultima Online statics. I registered for free and downloaded UOKR from there.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are using Kapersky Internet Security Suite, try this before my previous suggestions
:
1) Right click (not dbl click) the Kapersky icon in your systray (it's normally on the right of your windows task bar) and go to "settings"

2) On the left navigation panel, you should be at the "protection tab", navigate there if not

3) Look for the option "compatibility with application self-defense" and tick it if unticked (if already ticked, untick it - it's got to do with how pro-active defense and firewall is configured). You can also disable proactive defense from the get-go if you know what you are doing, but leave that as the last option, esp if you share the PC with other less tech-savy people.

4) Reboot your PC and try again

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have gotten this problem to, go to your windows firewall to advance tab and hit restore defaults. Shutting it off for me didnt work I had to do restore defaults. If you dont use windows firewall reset the firewall your using.

(I dont have time to read threw all the replies have somewhere to go sorry if someone already suggested this. )

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
windows firewall btw is crap FYI
No it is not and telling people otherwise is foolish. Every firewall is basically the same the only difference between them is how many unnecessary components were added to it to bloat the software and make it look better.

The only thing a firewall needs to do and should do is close open ports on your computer when they are not needed to stop anything from coming in through them. Windows firewall does just that and nothing more which is good.

If you want to install a second and unnecessary piece of software on your computer to tie up further resources on it to feel safe go right ahead.

Telling people that windows firewall is no good is an uneducated and misinforming piece of advice.

And before anyone gets smart with me about defending microsoft or windows firewall. I went to college for networking, I actually know what i am talking about.

D

dragongunner

make sure you have these EA addy's on perm allow ...

Electronic Arts, Inc starting IP 159.153.0.0 ending IP 159.153.255.255
Electronic Arts, Inc starting IP 192.168.1.100 ending IP 192.168.1.100
Electronic Arts Taiwan starting IP 211.72.250.10 ending IP 211.72.250.10

that should fix your issue

peerguardian is a program that you use if you download from peer to peer sites like torrents, it keeps the anti-p2p people off your system.
and EA is among the anti-p3p people on many of the list's that block peer to peer transmissions.
Lord Kynd, could you please give me a step by step guide to how to those EA addy's on perm allow?

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you havent... you can try resetting your modem. if you use a router it might of auto updated and turned a port off...

D

dragongunner

can you provide a list of process's running ?
not programs... process's (control+alt+del )

my bet is still on a p2p ip blocker tho because that is very very close to the same message i was getting when mine blocked EA.
Here is a list of my running processes:

alg.exe
ati2evxxx.exe
ati2evxxx.exe
avp.exe
avp.exe
csrss.exe
ctfmon.exe
explorer.exe
iexplore.exe
lsass.exe
LSSrvc.exe
mdm.exe
realsched.exe
SDTrayApp.exe
services.exe
slserv.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svcntaux.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
System
System Idle Process
taskmngr.exe
UOKR.exe
winlogon.exe

D

dragongunner

Ok I have done a couple of things so far. Here is the breakdown:

Lady Michelle

I have gotten this problem to, go to your windows firewall to advance tab and hit restore defaults. Shutting it off for me didnt work I had to do restore defaults. If you dont use windows firewall reset the firewall your using.

(I dont have time to read threw all the replies have somewhere to go sorry if someone already suggested this. )
I first did what Lady Michelle said as it was very easy. Then I tried to log in. I still got the same message as before but after 3 tries for the first time I was successful in logging into my shard. I immediately logged out and tryed to log in and was not able and got the same message as before.

Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongunner

If you are using Kapersky Internet Security Suite, try this before my previous suggestions
:
1) Right click (not dbl click) the Kapersky icon in your systray (it's normally on the right of your windows task bar) and go to "settings"

2) On the left navigation panel, you should be at the "protection tab", navigate there if not

3) Look for the option "compatibility with application self-defense" and tick it if unticked (if already ticked, untick it - it's got to do with how pro-active defense and firewall is configured). You can also disable proactive defense from the get-go if you know what you are doing, but leave that as the last option, esp if you share the PC with other less tech-savy people.

4) Reboot your PC and try again
I then tried what Harlequin mentioned and again I was able to log in to my shard but after logging out I was not able to log in again without the error messages.

It seems now I can get in from time to time as it was for me in the past but the problem is still there.

drinkbeerallday

check your hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

also post a hijackthis log
Could you please explain what you mean and possibly provide a step by step? And what do you mean by posting a hijackthis log?

I am not sure but at the moment I personally believe that what Lady Michelle said to do has helped the most, but the problem still remains. I am still waiting on a step by step by Lord Kynd.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried totally disabling the Windows Firewall?

Try totally turning it off as well as setting the service to 'Disabled', along with stopping the service. I have had problems with the Windows Firewall with some of my clients business apps and VPNs, so we keep it disabled. We have other security measures in place, along with antivirus of course. It is worth a try though, always helps to totally eliminate a possibility while troubleshooting. :)

Here are the steps to try this:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Windows Firewall. Click 'Off' and OK.
2. In Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools -> Services.
3. Scroll down to find 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)'.
4. Right Click 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)', and choose 'Stop' from the menu if the service is still running.
5. Right Click 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)' again, and choose 'Properties'. Make sure the 'Startup Type' drop down has 'Disabled' choosen. If you have to change it, be sure to click 'Apply' and then OK to save changes.
6. Try UO. *fingers crossed*

If this doesnt help, and you want to re-enable the Windows Firewall, just follow the steps above and choose 'On' in step #1; choose 'Start' in step #4; choose 'Automatic' in step #5.

Please forgive me if this is really detailed. I don't know how familiar you are with the Administrative Tools, so I wanted to make sure I included everything! :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I have done a couple of things so far. Here is the breakdown:

I first did what Lady Michelle said as it was very easy. Then I tried to log in. I still got the same message as before but after 3 tries for the first time I was successful in logging into my shard. I immediately logged out and tryed to log in and was not able and got the same message as before.

I then tried what Harlequin mentioned and again I was able to log in to my shard but after logging out I was not able to log in again without the error messages.

It seems now I can get in from time to time as it was for me in the past but the problem is still there.

Could you please explain what you mean and possibly provide a step by step? And what do you mean by posting a hijackthis log?

I am not sure but at the moment I personally believe that what Lady Michelle said to do has helped the most, but the problem still remains. I am still waiting on a step by step by Lord Kynd.
Looks like it's a firewall issue.

If you were able to follow my instruction as well as Michelle's, it appears that you have both Kapersky Internet Security Suite and Windows Firewall activated at the same time.

In this case, I recommend that you disable one of it. Multiple firewall/AV programs tend to have conflicts with each other. Even if not, sometimes it's just a simple case of people forgetting to open the ports on 1 but forgetting to do soon the other. Keeping only one eases your management in the future since you only need to config 1 piece of software.

Kaspersky has more intelligent features, alerts and is very customizable, but it's more difficult to configure. Windows firewall is simple and easy to use, gives you a first line of defense if you do not intend to/have not installed any other firewall programs before.

Before MS introduced Windows firewall, I had a system that got compromised immediately when I connected to the internet for Windows updates. After that, I always install my firewall program first, before connecting up. So Windows firewall is definitely not worthless. Also makes the other companies work harder to make their firewall better in order to sell them.

1) Try Littleblue's suggestion to disable Windows firewall.

2) If you like simplicity and want to keep Windows firewall, simplest way is to uninstall Kaspersky and reinstall only the AV portion. (Also, do this if 1 doesn't work, but reactivate Windows firewall first)

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please be VERY careful with HiJackThis program. It is a very useful tool, however if not used correctly, it can cause serious damage to your system.

If you do not know what it is, I wouldn't suggest using it.

It sounds to me like one of these are the culprit:

• A Firewall is blocking packets.
Are you familiar with Firewalls? What firewall program are you using?

• Your ISP might be blocking data packets.
Have you run a traceroute? If not, go here and read the directions and post up the results for the ISP Gurus here to give their opinions.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lots of people have not been able to log in since the last patch. apparently some of us got a currupt patch that mess up winsoc to not connect to uo's login and port. i had to do a windows repair that swaped my HD into bad sectors. thoes of us who called out on straics were few. thus unheared. if i were yo id try i windows repair install. you get to keep whats installed and what not. but id uninstall all UO before i did it. I had to build a new PC to play UO. sucks. but thats what i pay for. currupt patches.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
apparently some of us got a currupt patch that mess up winsoc
If this is the case, go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lspfix.php

Download and run LSP Fix.

For a manual on how to use it (read it step by step and do not deter from the guide!), go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial59.html

If other people use your PC, remove this program after you use it, for it can cause serious damage if someone does something they shouldn't do with it.

I've had to do this on several occasions for non-gaming related internet wackyness. Once for EVE Online too.

D

dragongunner

Orvago
Have you run a traceroute? If not, go here and read the directions and post up the results for the ISP Gurus here to give their opinions.
I ran a trace route for lakesuperior.owo.com and I found one unusual result. One of the IP addresses 212.200.232.53 shows a 100% Loss. Could this be the little culprit that is screwing up my log-in?

All the other IP addresses seem to be running smooth with 0% loss.

M

Mayadevi

We had the same problem recently with running KR. After making sure all your drivers are new and all permissions to firewalls are set.. Try running the patch program in KR itself. It's should be under Program files> EA games>KingdomReborn> UOpatch.exe .

It SHOULD patch your game and allow you to run it, it Fixed the problems on my machine ! Good luck !

Mayadevi

G

Glim Gerrack

Are you using a Belkin Router? The thread is fairly long so I just did a quick control F to see if you had mentioned your router brand or if you used one at all. Interestingly a perticular version of the Belkin N routers have an issue with dropping and reconnecting to your ISP. It's possible you wouldn't notice if you're web-browsing but you wouldn't be able to connect if you needed a constant connection such as in online games.

If this is your problem, to fix it you will need to update your router firmware to the newest version, I believe it's still in beta and can be found on the Belkin website, interestingly the european one only.

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*** SOMEONE PLZ CONFIRM THIS ***

Yes, ARE you actually using a router? I don't know very much about routers, but I THINK that routers provide hardware firewall protection, so you shouldn't need a software one? If this IS true, you can disable both your software ones, which may help?

U

ultima online

Yes, ARE you actually using a router? I don't know very much about routers, but I THINK that routers provide hardware firewall protection, so you shouldn't need a software one? If this IS true, you can disable both your software ones, which may help?

not all routers do, and even if you did have a hardware firewall router it is best to also have a personal one

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran a trace route for lakesuperior.owo.com and I found one unusual result. One of the IP addresses 212.200.232.53 shows a 100% Loss. Could this be the little culprit that is screwing up my log-in?

That *could* be the cause, it could also not be. I would get a hold of your ISP and give them EA's server addresses and ask them to check on their end.

Comcast did this once for me and I was able to find out that a Routing Hub between me and Origin was down. Took them several days after I reported it, but Comcast resolved the issue.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some routers are "stealthed", meaning they will not respond to icmp packets like ping/tracert/pathping etc. So it's not indicative of a faulty router. Unless you were able to ping 212.200.232.53 previously.

Also, if that router is really faulty, it's more likely that you will see a "Problem communicating witl Origin" message, experience dropping packets or face a sudden onslaught of the lag monster. Instead of the sync issue you are seeing.

If you want to check this more thoroughly, you can post your tracert results so that we can better advise you.

Btw, does turning off the firewall not work?

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some routers are "stealthed", meaning they will not respond to icmp packets like ping/tracert/pathping etc. So it's not indicative of a faulty router. Unless you were able to ping 212.200.232.53 previously.

Also, if that router is really faulty, it's more likely that you will see a "Problem communicating witl Origin" message, experience dropping packets or face a sudden onslaught of the lag monster. Instead of the sync issue you are seeing.

If you want to check this more thoroughly, you can post your tracert results so that we can better advise you.

Btw, does turning off the firewall not work?
heh.. if you want to check "more thoroughly" you might want to plug your modem into your computer before doing anything else.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh.. if you want to check "more thoroughly" you might want to plug your modem into your computer before doing anything else.
Ah, you mean if the OP was using his own router, a good way to isolate if it is casuing this issue would be to bypass it by connecting the modem directly to his PC?

*Turns on blonde mode* So why didn't you say so in the first place? :D

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Network Error: An error has occurred in the synchronization between the log in servers and this world. Please close your client and try again"."

When I get this message it means that UO isn't seeing that I have an internet connection so I double click the E (Internet Explorer) symbol and wait until that opens to the Google homepage I use and then I retry opening UO while the Google page is still opened up.

We do use a router, which means our home computers are "networked" together.

I really have no clue why I get that message sometimes but opening an internet page prior to opening UO works for me.

I have a teenage son who uses this computer so goodness knows it's probably loaded with spyware, hijackers, and all kinds of other nasty things (it does load pages way slower than it used to.)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Network Error: An error has occurred in the synchronization between the log in servers and this world. Please close your client and try again"."

When I get this message it means that UO isn't seeing that I have an internet connection so I double click the E (Internet Explorer) symbol and wait until that opens to the Google homepage I use and then I retry opening UO while the Google page is still opened up.

We do use a router, which means our home computers are "networked" together.

I really have no clue why I get that message sometimes but opening an internet page prior to opening UO works for me.

I have a teenage son who uses this computer so goodness knows it's probably loaded with spyware, hijackers, and all kinds of other nasty things (it does load pages way slower than it used to.)
Ahh, A commonality! That should make it easier to troubleshoot. If you don't mind, I'd be much obliged if you can answer a couple of questions:

1) When you see this error, have you already gotten past the logon page?
2) If so, does it appear before or after the shard selection page?
3) Does any of your other networked computers have this same problem?
4) What AV/firewall are you using?