• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

▒ - SOMETHING TO CONSIDER - ▒ ( Need your Opinion )

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
First off- the quote feature on Stratics can often come off as a natural attack... not really the case! Emotions through text are hard to read, so the more direct someone is, the more offensive it seems!

The continued problem is the "what if..." things happen. Ask! As a 19 year paid subscriber, I "assume/expect" UO to come to my every need - they have protocols. They listen to us, but please remember, we don't drive the ship. Our investment does not give us ownership, it allows us to voice our opinions (which we are all entitled to).

When we start assuming or typecasting the Dev team based on someone else's view or my own opinion of the situation, it only causes discourse.

Based off the "what if..." we are assuming favoritism. Please note... this is one month long and deals strictly with housing decay... not account access and dollars...

A higher level of leadership requires us to think differently. We are all getting stuck on this idea of favoritism when I don't see that anywhere in the uo.com post for the one month pause.

If this concern is enough to voice an opinion, by all means, voice it. If a major disaster hits me and my monthly- ongoing expense stops, and my game-time happens to run out within that time, emailing broadsword personally will happen. If nothing happens then and my houses fall... I also won't assume they hate me and don't care... and I won't be mad that someone who lost their IRL house was given some grace.

We definitely don't get anywhere by personal accusations or generalized comments about birthplace. Please don't take your opinion and slander each other... just makes us all look bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I agree. I know we have an oversized population from Texas, dating from back when OSI was based there. Tbh, as small as the population is, I could live with house IDOCs simply being turned back off again for the indefinite future, and never turned back on, just as it was post 9/11.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
TBH, I could live with event "rares" being turned off permanently and never turned back on again. We wouldn't need to have raresfests full of them or maintain a wiki for them! (I'm being sarcastic here)

Careful who's entertainment you willingly sacrifice Brian, some people enjoy a good idoc! Even if they aren't regulars at it sometimes it's fun or creates some fel-side mayhem. It's part of the game.
Oh, I know. But we did live with IDOCs turned off for years... and for every house that doesn't fall, that's one potential player who'd that much more likely to return.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1.I do not think Devs should use stratics, its a player ran site - it makes no sense to use that as a fourm of communication.
2.As i said in my previous post if this sets precedent, AWESOME. But, lets make sure it happens for every region not just America. THATS ALL IM ASKING, is that a problem? Are you guys literally arguing against trying to help others.
1.I'm really glad they do, and It makes perfect sense to me can't speak for others tho.
2. No it's not a problem when these disasters you speak of did you put in a request ? , and if so were you denied, if not stop complaining. AR asked us most of us agreed Mesanna acted on it. Only thing I'm not happy about I can't customize it is what it is.
Natural disasters hit most places a few times a year. Hurricanes rarely hit Texas so who knows maybe Mesanna paused housing for that reason.
Seriously if no one put in a request in like AR please stop complaining.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think that through - would you enjoy playing on a server where all the houses are from people who will never play again? Are you looking for a rare and know which house it's in but the house will never fall so nobody will ever see it gain? Houses have to decay as people move on, the focus needs to be on attracting(and retaining) NEW players. Maybe they start playing and hit a good idoc and end up hanging around because the millions they got in that one idoc kept them motivated.(as opposed to smacking bone knights in crap armor for 5 months to make their first 1m gold, which buys very little sadly).

We could go round and round. IDOCs are a natural turnover aspect of UO and some would leave if they were turned off. They are, after all, the ultimate treasure hunt without any guarantees.
Yep gotta have the IDOCs or there very simply would be no place in the entire game to even place a house after 20 years if it were not for the IDOCs.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it accurate that some old grandfathered houses (placed before publish 16) still have to be periodically refreshed so the house doesn't start to decay?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it accurate that some old grandfathered houses (placed before publish 16) still have to be periodically refreshed so the house doesn't start to decay?
Not that I know of, it would be nearly impossible for someone to have refreshed it every week for 20 years. I think they just act like normal houses these days.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I wonder if boats will still decay while house decay is turned off.
That... is an interesting question. I have seen a few reports of people suddenly having boat issues.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
1.I'm really glad they do, and It makes perfect sense to me can't speak for others tho.
2. No it's not a problem when these disasters you speak of did you put in a request ? , and if so were you denied, if not stop complaining. AR asked us most of us agreed Mesanna acted on it. Only thing I'm not happy about I can't customize it is what it is.
Natural disasters hit most places a few times a year. Hurricanes rarely hit Texas so who knows maybe Mesanna paused housing for that reason.
Seriously if no one put in a request in like AR please stop complaining.
What you're failing to see is, THIS IS GOOD FOR AMERICANS and other people who understand English and know of stratics. I know many people who do not even know about startics. If it was UO offical fourm they could have parts of it imbedded into the cilent so everyone would have 100% access to it, rather than just the people who play certain shards and understand a certain language. But, I would understand that all your friends are from one population of UO so you wouldnt comphrend these issues.
A simple way to show this would be the admins from the website release the stats of who access's the website and where are they from. Then let's compare that to UO Subs, im sure there will be a huge diffrance from certain nations.

I did, so now what? Stop complaining and stop talking about nothing you know about. Kay thanks

Last edited:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What you're failing to see is, THIS IS GOOD FOR AMERICANS and other people who understand English and know of stratics. I know many people who do not even know about startics. If it was UO offical fourm they could have parts of it imbedded into the cilent so everyone would have 100% access to it, rather than just the people who play certain shards and understand a certain language. But, I would understand that all your friends are from one population of UO so you wouldnt comphrend these issues.
A simple way to show this would be the admins from the website release the stats of who access's the website and where are they from. Then let's compare that to UO Subs, im sure there will be a huge diffrance from certain nations.

I did, so now what? Stop complaining and stop talking about nothing you know about. Kay thanks
I don't fail to see anything it is not my fault that you fail to get what you trying to say, and don't need stratics to know whats going on when its on the client i even posted a picture for you. you did put a request in then where is it
I looked over stratics and couldn't find it post a link to it?
kyy.jpg

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Unfortunately a lot of people never even glance at that, I read Stratics every day and I rarely look at the info posted on the patcher screen.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Prehaps im not explaining myself correctly. the patcher on other games has a link to the Offical fourms. There is no link there on the UO patcher to the offical fourms, nor stratics on there. Therefore, the information is flowing one way. Does that make sense? Do you kind of see where i am trying to come from?

A quick synposis,
- Be fair for all regions
- its a good thing this idoc thing is happening
- Lets make it happen everywhere during disasters. Let's make this set a precedent.
- Offical Uo fourms for everyone, and less barriers to entry for people who aren't English speaking. Which gives access to people who do not speak english. This website does not really good numbers of the players from other regions other than America/ Europe. So their voices may not be as heard.
( Just to note this is not stratics's fault it just was not adveristed for those regions)

Do my points seem fair? It seems like everyone has made assumptions of what I am trying to say.
-

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes boats are aging or at least mine are. The ones I put in the water two days ago have aged.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Prehaps im not explaining myself correctly. the patcher on other games has a link to the Offical fourms. There is no link there on the UO patcher to the offical fourms, nor stratics on there. Therefore, the information is flowing one way. Does that make sense? Do you kind of see where i am trying to come from?
Click this link: Fansites – Ultima Online

The very first one under the English section is Stratics. So yes, it is on an official UO page as the main information source outside of UO.com, since it is the first one on the list and the list is not alphabetical.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hurricanes are also not like tornadoes. There is plenty of warning ahead of it coming to hit an area. Obviously people would be more worried about getting stuff ready to evacuate and stuff. But it would also only take 5 minutes to just re-code or add money to extend their accounts not knowing when they could get back online. The picture from AR's posts proves he has at least a week to prepare before itll hit landfall in florida. People also need to understand that how people feel towards the IDOC's isn't the same as they feel towards the peoples lives who are involved. People need to grow up about that on here. Noone wishes to be in such a life altering natural disaster, but life happens, not much you can do about it but try to survive and move on. I hope everyone in texas makes it through this ok. If Irma deals a good amount of damage in florida is going to be turned off again. Theres like 10-15 hurricanes every year. Also housing is one complete server, its either all on or all off, you cant pick and choose areas. Aside from mesanna going from house to house and changing them to OSI.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Click this link: Fansites – Ultima Online

The very first one under the English section is Stratics. So yes, it is on an official UO page as the main information source outside of UO.com, since it is the first one on the list and the list is not alphabetical.

And how can it be an offical site when the link literally says FANSITES...

And once again, it doesnt show anything for japenese nor korean players. So they are left out once again......This is why an actual endorsed fourm by UO would be a lot better.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And how can it be an offical site when the link literally says FANSITES...

And once again, it doesnt show anything for japenese nor korean players. So they are left out once again......This is why an actual endorsed fourm by UO would be a lot better.
I didn't say it was an official site, I said it was on the official site, since you said previously there was no connection between Stratics and the official UO sites.

Additionally, although it is no longer in effect, there was an actual agreement between previous developers and Stratics years ago created after the original official UO forums were closed. It named Stratics as the the one and only official developer sponsored forum of Ultima Online. It was like that for years, so there very much is a basis for the developers posting here.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I didn't say it was an official site, I said it was on the official site, since you said previously there was no connection between Stratics and the official UO sites.

Additionally, although it is no longer in effect, there was an actual agreement between previous developers and Stratics years ago created after the original official UO forums were closed. It named Stratics as the the one and only official developer sponsored forum of Ultima Online. It was like that for years, so there very much is a basis for the developers posting here.
Well, it really doesn't mean much.. But if that is your only connection, its pretty bad...

So thats an irrelevant point. Specially considering Stratics has been sold since then.

I really do not get the point we are debating, i've stated my points. I really do not see what you're trying to say or prove at this point.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Lets make it happen everywhere during disasters. Let's make this set a precedent.
Actually this sets a very bad precedent as going forward which regions are they going to tell tough luck and then turn it off for another region because their disaster is more important. Since this is now a precedent one must wonder how they are going to pick the winners and losers going forward. If applied to every disaster around the world housing will never be turned back on. On the flip side now that it has been done, not doing so for others in regional disasters are going to feel slighted and be pissed.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Actually this sets a very bad precedent as going forward which regions are they going to tell tough luck and then turn it off for another region because their disaster is more important. Since this is now a precedent one must wonder how they are going to pick the winners and losers going forward. If applied to every disaster around the world housing will never be turned back on. On the flip side now that it has been done, not doing so for others in regional disasters are going to feel slighted and be pissed.
Once again refer to my previous posts about favourtism. Let's see how the Devs go about this in the future. Because, it will be horrendous if they only support one nation, after they have set a good standard for the Americans

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not going to re-read this thread or maybe it was another one, but someone said something about earthquakes and natural disasters. Others talk about having a warning, as if they all had the means to leave, and as if the first thing on their mind was to prepay their gaming accounts knowing everything they own and their home and everything they worked their whole lives for was going to be destroyed and knowing their family could die if they-couldn't figure out how to evacuate. Nobody thought it was going to flood as bad as it did and if if they did nvm. Sorry, survival kicks in and basic necessities kick in, not any thoughts about virtual pastimes. They are scrambling in horror to get their family and pets and anything they can fit in their car and get outta harms way only to know there is nothing to go back to. How do they feed their kids and how do they keep them warm. What do they do from there? Where do they sleep? Where do they bathe? Not working, so how do they get food? STILL NOT THINKiNG ABOUT GAMES!!!!
I have lived in California my entire life (unfortunately) and I have been through some nasty earthquakes. The worst earthquake I was in was the northridge quake. I was 30 minutes from the epicenter and all I did was put a pillow over my head and tried to go back to sleep. So sorry, but earthquakes aren't scary nor do they put a dead stop to a city or state. Life goes on and a very few here lose everything. I can tell you this, I was outside of Knoxville TN. eating dinner at Catfish Cove and a hurricane hit us. It scared the Pancakes out of me. The destruction was so far inland it was unbelievable. My first hurricane, I was in boot camp at Fort Benning Georgia and we got hit , same thing, it destroyed so much. I'm very fortunate I have never been one so close to the coast like the southern states that touch the gulf, especially Florida. The only thing that I feel would scare me more would be volcanoes ! So these people, and there are millions, it will take years to get back to any type of life that you and I see as normal or livable. Entire regions are affected, outside the actual flooding. People are displaced and have lost everything.

The best people you will ever meet are southerners bar none....

They will help anyone at any time its in there blood good folk.

Let's all prey Irma weakens before it hits.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again refer to my previous posts about favourtism. Let's see how the Devs go about this in the future. Because, it will be horrendous if they only support one nation, after they have set a good standard for the Americans
Has nothing to do with favoring Americans trust me in the Ice Storm in the early spring of 2009 housing was not shut off because the Southern 1/3 of IL, a lot of KY, Parts of IN and MO were hit with the worst ice storm we have ever seen. Houses collapsed, building collapsed, no power for 3 weeks for most in below 30 temps, no fuel at the gas stations if you could manage to get to one, a good number of people died, 6 weeks before a lot of us got power restored.

America is a very big Nation with pretty much every disaster under the sun hitting regularly in some part of it. Don't believe they have ever shut any part of the game down because there was a disaster in the USA before, I could be wrong about that but never that I recall. Like I said they have now set that precedent and it is going to be interesting to see how they handle it in the future.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't believe they have ever shut any part of the game down because there was a disaster in the USA before, I could be wrong about that but never that I recall.
They have shut down idoc's twice before that I can remember as a direct result of something happening in the real world. They were off for a couple of months due to Hurricane Katrina destroying New Orleans, and they were also turned off for a bit when the invasion of Iraq happened and members of the military (primarily aimed at American ones) were being deployed there without enough notice to get their UO accounts prepared for it.

Not many people remember anymore, but the 90 day house idoc system was actually put there on purpose specifically to help the military. That was added after the Iraq stuff so in case it ever happened again, military members would be able to not worry about their UO accounts for a while.

It's just been used far more for other reasons lately.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have shut down idoc's twice before that I can remember as a direct result of something happening in the real world. They were off for a couple of months due to Hurricane Katrina destroying New Orleans, and they were also turned off for a bit when the invasion of Iraq happened and members of the military (primarily aimed at American ones) were being deployed there without enough notice to get their UO accounts prepared for it.

Not many people remember anymore, but the 90 day house idoc system was actually put there on purpose specifically to help the military. That was added after the Iraq stuff so in case it ever happened again, military members would be able to not worry about their UO accounts for a while.

It's just been used far more for other reasons lately.
Guess I missed that, accts have always been on auto pay and when I deployed back then didn't even think about UO other than wondered if I got waxed if anyone would find my acct PWs in my desk and cancel my accounts or if they would just keep auto renewing until there was no more money in the acct.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a fine line stoping house decay I agree. What's the line next time ? 1,000 people at odds 10,000 , 100,000 well Texas is over 1,000,000 plus.

I don't pretend to know the correct answers.

The world is a tough brutal place when you really stop and look around at what's happening around the world, sorry but I would rather do what I can to help those I can instead of allowing my self to become overwhelmed and dysfunctional and doing nothing at all.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given housing is probably UOs best and most liked feature it is a hard one. They really do need to give a couple days of warning though so folks can get transfers or other things done. A friend perm closed an account with a week of time left on and was planning on transferring the house to another account during that time. Now he has to resub whenever housing is turned back on just to make the transfer. Which he says he is not going to do. Instead he is just quitting if this is all the more concern they can show. Agree or not he has a point. At the rate friends have been dwindling from UO the last several years, it really nukes me to see another one go. But hey he would only be three paid subs compared the folks with 38 on the 90 day and 22 paid. A simple 24-48 hour warning before shutting it down would have prevented it. But screw him he is only 3 subs.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree. I know we have an oversized population from Texas, dating from back when OSI was based there. Tbh, as small as the population is, I could live with house IDOCs simply being turned back off again for the indefinite future, and never turned back on, just as it was post 9/11.
Of course you could live without IDOC being turned on again for the indefinite future. No offense, please don't take any of this as that. But I know you play the 90 day game because you recently lost a ice island castle to it (and then got it back, I actually tried to contact you regarding it because I know what you do for the community). This change would further benefit people like you and good housing stock would further diminish.

Oh, I know. But we did live with IDOCs turned off for years... and for every house that doesn't fall, that's one potential player who'd that much more likely to return.
And people come back to the game ALL the time with nothing and still enjoy playing VERY much. Believe it or not, you don't have to come back to a house full of rares to find the game enjoyable. It's actually freeing. What is one of the reasons they are likely to leave again though is house hoarders taking up all the good real estate. A certain player base is just accumulating property since it costs just $24/year and at $24 a year there is little incentive to ever sell the property. Yes, house hoarders have helped keep UO afloat all these years. But if IDOC were turned off indefinitely that income stream ends and what will that do for Broadswords bottom line.

I would actually love to know the numbers of 90 day accounts, as I am sure many others would. It would be insightful to say the least.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course you could live without IDOC being turned on again for the indefinite future. No offense, please don't take any of this as that. But I know you play the 90 day game because you recently lost a ice island castle to it (and then got it back, I actually tried to contact you regarding it because I know what you do for the community). This change would further benefit people like you and good housing stock would further diminish.

And people come back to the game ALL the time with nothing and still enjoy playing VERY much. Believe it or not, you don't have to come back to a house full of rares to find the game enjoyable. It's actually freeing. What is one of the reasons they are likely to leave again though is house hoarders taking up all the good real estate. A certain player base is just accumulating property since it costs just $24/year and at $24 a year there is little incentive to ever sell the property. Yes, house hoarders have helped keep UO afloat all these years. But if IDOC were turned off indefinitely that income stream ends and what will that do for Broadswords bottom line.

I would actually love to know the numbers of 90 day accounts, as I am sure many others would. It would be insightful to say the least.
When people talk about 60-80 accounts with 1 - 22 active and the bulk of the inactive accounts holding houses and believe they are providing a valuable community service...... It just kind of makes ya want to puke.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What will really piss you guys off is some of these house hoarders arent buying game time codes through normal means. Meaning the little money they do give isnt going to UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will really piss you guys off is some of these house hoarders arent buying game time codes through normal means. Meaning the little money they do give isnt going to UO.
Code generator? Or Mexican Store Codes?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So where did the code come from? Absolutley ignorant comment.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So where did the code come from? Absolutley ignorant comment.
Not exactly, if they buy it off a third party for say gold or cash. He is correct, they themselves are giving very little to broadsword. However someone is buying the foreign codes. But again, that greatly diminishes how much they actually contribute if it's around $24 for a year... less than two months of normal play time.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not exactly, if they buy it off a third party for say gold or cash. He is correct, they themselves are giving very little to broadsword. However someone is buying the foreign codes. But again, that greatly diminishes how much they actually contribute if it's around $24 for a year... less than two months of normal play time.
So did the third party create the code? Do they have generators or something? Of course not. They bought them from UO. Come on this isn't a difficult concept to understand. It at one point had to be purchased from UO.....

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Of course you could live without IDOC being turned on again for the indefinite future. No offense, please don't take any of this as that. But I know you play the 90 day game because you recently lost a ice island castle to it (and then
I've lost more than my share of houses in the past due to bugs in the housing system too. I've also quit, year ago, and let all my houses drop. This has nothing to do with my personally losing, or not losing, any houses. (I would note, that particular castle went from "normal" to ground in under 3 days; the housing system still isn't working properly even when it's turned on.)

As for "good housing stock", it's out there. Now, if someone is eyeing a particular spot on a particular shard, that's different - but that has nothing to do with "good housing stock". That's simply someone wanting what someone else isn't selling. At the moment, I have 5 or so castles, among my other homes. And you know what? I bought them all. I've placed castles on various shards - and dropped them due to noone wanting them, even for free. Hell, I've given away a Luna plot or two in the past. There's plenty of housing spots open. I just recently dropped a house I'd bought on Justice island, simply because I couldn't find a use for it, and couldn't find anyone who wanted it.

On the flip side, IDOCs seem to more and more have some serious exploiting going on, with script bots and other nastiness running rampant. And every house that falls, that's one more person who, if they come back, is coming back to start from scratch. Some may view that as a challenge - I did - but for others, it's a reason simply to stay away and not come back.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So did the third party create the code? Do they have generators or something? Of course not. They bought them from UO. Come on this isn't a difficult concept to understand. It at one point had to be purchased from UO.....
At greatly reduced prices which diminishes some people's claims of them being the saviors of uo.

20 90 day foreign code accounts contribute the same yearly as 3 accounts that get billed monthly at the normal monthly rate over the course of one year.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
. This has nothing to do with my personally losing, or not losing, any houses. (I would note, that particular castle went from "normal" to ground in under 3 days; the housing system still isn't working properly even when it's turned on.)

That's simply someone wanting what someone else isn't selling. At the moment, I have 5 or so castles, among my other homes. And you know what? I bought them all. I've placed castles on various shards - and dropped them due to noone wanting them, even for free. Hell, I've given away a Luna plot or two in the past. There's plenty of housing spots open. I just recently dropped a house I'd bought on Justice island, simply because I couldn't find a use for it, and

On the flip side, IDOCs seem to more and more have some serious exploiting going on, with script bots and other nastiness running rampant. And every house that falls, that's one more person who, if they come back, is coming back to start from scratch. Some may view that as a challenge - I did - but for others, it's a reason simply to stay away and not come back.
Houses take about less than 63 hours to decay now. It sucks and really only favors botters who have can script running around a shard every one to two days. I see Three usual suspects all the time on Chesapeake. I used to be heavily into idocs, being able to outplace most people without the use of exploits. Some of the things I see now disgust me.

That's the thing though, wanting something someone isn't selling. There's is no incentive for people to sell with how cheaply houses can be kept. Back when I was heavily in the real estate market up til 2004, there was decent turnover of properties. I would place a nice house and sell it. I did keep an assortment of very nice properties that I paid for monthly. Including the dual justice island properties, which I noticed you had at least one of about 6 months ago when I had time to play again and was looking for a house to place. They were interesting because while I owned them they turned off boating to the island making the only way they were accessible was via runes people may of had. But, as with you, I never could really figure out what to do with them. They were bod storage.

I think it was disappointing when someone in general asked what the going rate of castles was on chessy and someone who has a vast assortment of homes and castles already replied "why? are you selling?" i just find it distasteful. At what point do they become content. I figure one day I will log in and all of luna will be a shrine to Angelica.

When I left in 2004, I let it all fall. My castle I spent years getting between minoc and vesper and many other unique properties I enjoyed. Their contents, I wanted to be a gift to all those who played, so they could continue to enjoy all my work and accomplishements since they were still there playing and enjoying and I was not. I came back to the game with nothing and built my way back up. Why because I love the game.

But now so many things are locked away gathering dust being paid for every three months. And the things that have turned over end up in hands of people that will never have interest to let go of because they can be kept so cheaply.

I did not realize you had quit, just you were still accomplished when I had time to pay attention again. Glad to see you came back, because I do think you contribute greatly to the community.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I did not realize you had quit, just you were still accomplished when I had time to pay attention again. Glad to see you came back, because I do think you contribute greatly to the community.
I've quit several times, most recently about a year after AOS. Gave some away, then let it all drop. When I came back, I started from scratch. So I have been there too. But most of the time, when I see folks complaining about not having some house they want, it's because they're simply not willing to do what they have to to get such a house, be it spending the amount of gold it'll take to get that spot, or being less choosy. Personally, I'd rather have more of my castles in Tram, but I was willing to have them in Fel. That particular castle you were talking about, it wasn't that it was a castle, it was the specific location, right next to the oldest blessed keep in the game. :p