• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet reward balance for younger players

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
what would have been nicer to younger players that hit yr one is that they get the Box free without using a vet reward. A bonus for playing for that first yr in game. Extra boxes could still be gotten using vet rewards.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol.....yeah, you try moving house with over 500k ingot, 500k pieces of leather, 500k wood ect…….then tell me a commodity box ain't valuable.
I've never x-sharded and never will so to me the shields are useless junk.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most here fail to understand the imbalance shard-shields gives 14+ vets, to anyone not being that old.
First off, there is only 1 marked place, and it's located on atlantic. Unless you play on atlantic you are screwed.
If you try and run a decent shop you are limited to selling low level items, due to resellers whom will buy everything you sell due to the fact that you have to have low prices else you're aren't gonna sell anything, and then the resellers will xfer you're goods to atlantic for the profit.
Next off, try finding anything useful to buy on most shards except atlantic is next to impossible, earlier this month i was trying to get a decent LRC suit for my newbie char on chessy.. Nope nothing there to be had :/ Then i decided to upgrade my sampire on drachs, again nope not possible to buy CC or M&S glasses or anything remotely usable on a sampire.
My point is shard-shields has totally destroyed any local marked on every shard except atlantic, so what is the point on punishing players who aren't 14 years old ?
I must admit i fail to understand why i as a player would have to shell out $20 to get an LRC suit to chessy or any other items i might need on various shards.
I also find the price for an xfer token to be a joke, who in their right mind would pay $20 to move a char from A to B.
As of now i do have friends with shard-shields who help me transfer stuff between shards, i still don't think it's fair.
If EA/BS would make single shard shields tokens available for lets say $3, hell ya i would buy them. But $20 for an full xfer token get real EA/BS.
I do support the idea to buy "lost" years. I'm like 6-7 months away from getting my own shard-shields, i don't mind the waiting, but did i earn them ?
Not really, all i did was adding my visa card...lol
Look at the bright side, atleast we don't have to be 4 years old for the 720 skill cap, witch was a big hurdle when i started playing UO many years ago, not to forget the mandatory ethy llama you just had to have in order to pvp.
I'm not an idiot, and i know that regardless of what anyone writes here, things aren't gonna change, but i do hope that EA/BS would introduce cheaper xfer tokens for players who are stranded on low populated shards.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
12th year shields/tokens are account bound for a reason if they weren't the vets would be selling them taking away any profits from the store no one would buy the transfer tokens , if they do decide to sell the vet rewards in the store the shields won't make the list. meaning anyone could buy the shields one time would be taking most of the profit away from the transfer tokens already selling in the stores.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12th year shields/tokens are account bound for a reason if they weren't the vets would be selling them taking away any profits from the store no one would buy the transfer tokens , if they do decide to sell the vet rewards in the store the shields won't make the list. meaning anyone could buy the shields one time would be taking most of the profit away from the transfer tokens already selling in the stores.
they are actually 14th year rewards, but lets not go into details.
Q) How do you move a char from shard A to shard B ?
A) you get 6 soulstones/fragments, you dump you're skills into them, and get a mate to xfer the stones for you + needed powerscrolls if any.
You take skills from soulstones to new char, eat powerscrolls, train stats.. $20 saved.

Q) how do you move all the stuff you have farmed on a dead shard to atlantic ?
A)You get you're buddy who is a 14+ vet to xfer it to atlantic using shard-shields. You sell you're stuff on atlantic, buy what you need,and again you're best buddy xfers it back to you.
You save $40

Q) Would you buy an limited transfer token for $3 to be able to move a char from shard A to B ?
A) Yes i would because then i could xfer at will, and not have to be waiting for someone else to do it for me.
EA/BS earns $3, otherwise they get 0.

This time you answer the question
Q) How much do you actually think EA/BS is making on selling transfer tokens ?

PS You really love you're best buddy he he

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lovely topic.

Shields create major imbalance. Period it's nothing they ever should have made in the first place.

Being a paying customer to receive a service (Being able to play) should not bring you anything which creates such an imbalance. However I can see giving special titles or a shiny clothing which don't have properties.

If they really want to give out rewards which actually "do something" everyone should be able to choose any item once a year is fully paid.

And before now someone come and said "but we paid 14 years till we got them"
Yes you did BUT from these 14 years 13 did not even HAD the shields existing in the first place..

BS is selling a service which you pay to use no idea how the entitle you to get such advantages.

And telling new joiners "well you have to play now 14 years" or "buy crazy expensive transfer token" or even better "find someone who can take your item for you" is a ****ing joke...

Ask the EU-1 guys who recently got scammed for billions by one of their own... They will tell you how good is it to trust someone....

But I guess as long as we have people who think they are special because they started to play earlier and now holding back BS because of this or insist on an old client and force the dev to maintain 2 we will not have any issue wihh new joiners anyway...

They should sell everything player want in uo store as the majority of games do.

Sell separate from youwhat the 3rd party sites do but cheaper to push them out of the market and use the money for more staff..
BULLETIN! We are special. We are the only reason you can still play this game . We are the reason this game still generates money .And we are the only reason that you can sit and complain about what you can't have. Ergo Vet Reward. Each time a reward came out it was meant to make something easier or more fun . And I'll be here long after you get bored with a game that was predicted to run just 2 years YES I am special and I deserve to be able to use something you cannot .go buy a shard transfer token just like we did for years.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they are actually 14th year rewards, but lets not go into details.
Q) How do you move a char from shard A to shard B ?
A) you get 6 soulstones/fragments, you dump you're skills into them, and get a mate to xfer the stones for you + needed powerscrolls if any.
You take skills from soulstones to new char, eat powerscrolls, train stats.. $20 saved.

Q) how do you move all the stuff you have farmed on a dead shard to atlantic ?
A)You get you're buddy who is a 14+ vet to xfer it to atlantic using shard-shields. You sell you're stuff on atlantic, buy what you need,and again you're best buddy xfers it back to you.
You save $40

Q) Would you buy an limited transfer token for $3 to be able to move a char from shard A to B ?
A) Yes i would because then i could xfer at will, and not have to be waiting for someone else to do it for me.
EA/BS earns $3, otherwise they get 0.

This time you answer the question
Q) How much do you actually think EA/BS is making on selling transfer tokens ?

PS You really love you're best buddy he he
none of the above my accounts are over 14 years old I play on great lakes and siege but if i decide to leave great lakes( which I won't) i will use my vet rewards to get shields and get my own tokens.
I would never hand my stuff over to anyone except the guy i been playing the game with since 2001, to many untrusting scamming people out there'
im sure they sell plenty transfer tokens since the shields are limited on how many tokens you get per month.
you can sit and spin whatever stories you like but remember everyone elses stories are different.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny, I waited and waited for this reward but when I finally was able to find it as a reward(had the options for a year but didn't see them as it's somewhat poorly hidden and assumed it was a issue with account aging) the game was mostly dead and I had no desire to play.

Tokens from the store was a bad idea but they did bring in some revenue and the transfers were limited to an actual cash expenditure, vet rewards though opened the door too wide to a limited group and have, IMO, been nothing but a extra nail in this games coffin.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone mentioned a shard gate not sure who I'm sure with ej that will be coming soon since they can't place houses or use the shields, but it will cost players to use it you click on the gate you choose a shard a gump comes up you get a choice use soveners or buy with cc to transfer to another shard.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
BULLETIN! We are special. We are the only reason you can still play this game . We are the reason this game still generates money .And we are the only reason that you can sit and complain about what you can't have. Ergo Vet Reward. Each time a reward came out it was meant to make something easier or more fun . And I'll be here long after you get bored with a game that was predicted to run just 2 years YES I am special and I deserve to be able to use something you cannot .go buy a shard transfer token just like we did for years.
You are all also the reason the game is a shell of what it was. Everything has moved to one area. Communities have disappeared. Economies in this game are a joke. You brag about playing this game for so long while others have had to quit for a multitude of reasons, but it’s often the vets I see ruining the game for the new players, and then complain that the game is dying. You made your bed. You lost the right to complain.

It’s been left to the new players to try and bring this game back, yet you feel your entitlements should allow you to continue game breaking practices that only further destroy a once great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
none of the above my accounts are over 14 years old I play on great lakes and siege but if i decide to leave great lakes( which I won't) i will use my vet rewards to get shields and get my own tokens.
I would never hand my stuff over to anyone except the guy i been playing the game with since 2001, to many untrusting scamming people out there'
im sure they sell plenty transfer tokens since the shields are limited on how many tokens you get per month.
you can sit and spin whatever stories you like but remember everyone elses stories are different.
I don't need to make up stories. Since you and you're only trusted friend aren't gonna buy transfer tokens, or any other 14+ year old..
I'm not gonna buy them either since there are other ways to transfer "chars" and items, witch i have described earlier.
Everyone with a little bit of brain does the exact same thing as i do.
Are you really so blind that you can't see that EA/BS killed off their own profit by giving away free xfer tokens to vets..

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are all also the reason the game is a shell of what it was. Everything has moved to one area. Communities have disappeared. Economies in this game are a joke. You brag about playing this game for so long while others have had to quit for a multitude of reasons, but it’s often the vets I see ruining the game for the new players, and then complain that the game is dying. You made your bed. You lost the right to complain.

It’s been left to the new players to try and bring this game back, yet you feel your entitlements should allow you to continue game breaking practices that only further destroy a once great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Your rationale is skewed And this is a pompous attempt to place blame. W the loyal e would not be having this debate, if not for the loyal player base.
Nice TRY PFFFFT

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Wouldn’t it be great if vendor search worked across shards.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
....Shard shields have been around for nearly 7 years now. If they where going to kill UO one would think it would have already happened.

I literally have boxes full of transfers from my shields. Do some people take full advantage of them to make a nice profit? I'm sure they do. I'm also sure not nearly as many as one would think. Personally I use mine to get stuff FROM atlantic to bring back to my home shard so I can have what I need. So in my case shard shields have actually kept me on my home shard. I'd bet I'm not the only one that does this.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My argument is skewed. What a defense!

And I’m not saying that everyone uses them to pack up move to Atlantic. Some do use it exclusively for shopping etc. However the byproduct is that the economy now flows through the ridiculously inflated economy of Atlantic. Something that I pay a simple 10 mil on Drachs for I pay close to 300 on Atl. This is one thing if you play on Atl and subject yourself to it, but because it is now the central market the rest of the shards are subject to its mercy. And for the most part, have accepted that everything is now ridiculously expensive.
Add into this that you either have to pay 20 dollars if you even want to make a one way trip to or from, or have to have the 14-year entitlement, and why would any of us want to continue.

And yes new players can start on Atl it Europa. But that argument is moot for people that have been on their homeshards forever and don’t have the entitlement because they are either just shy or haven’t been able to play/pay consecutively.

I have cultivated alliances that allow me to overcome this, but not everyone has that advantage. And the denial of this being game-breaking is nothing more than arrogant entitlement.
Yes you should be rewarded for your time, effort, and loyalty.
But that doesn’t mean the game should be exponentially more difficult to enjoy for the rest of us.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Reading over my posts, I notice I didn’t specify what side of the argument that I am on. I am not proposing we be able to buy Shard Shields. Rather, allow us to either affordably purchase transfer tokens, or implement some kind of system that allows for a transfer based on current account age, with more transfers more often based on your age. Something.
Or get rid of it altogether as far as i am concerned. Just needs to be addressed.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't need to make up stories. Since you and you're only trusted friend aren't gonna buy transfer tokens, or any other 14+ year old..
I'm not gonna buy them either since there are other ways to transfer "chars" and items, witch i have described earlier.
Everyone with a little bit of brain does the exact same thing as i do.
Are you really so blind that you can't see that EA/BS killed off their own profit by giving away free xfer tokens to vets..
please don't assume everyone does the exact same thing as you do.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Look at this from another angle why not push for a substantial price drop on Character Transfer Token
That would be awesome

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reading over my posts, I notice I didn’t specify what side of the argument that I am on. I am not proposing we be able to buy Shard Shields. Rather, allow us to either affordably purchase transfer tokens, or implement some kind of system that allows for a transfer based on current account age, with more transfers more often based on your age. Something.
Or get rid of it altogether as far as i am concerned. Just needs to be addressed.
They are available for sale per transfer ;that was not an argument. That's what we did before shields.

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My argument is skewed. What a defense!

And I’m not saying that everyone uses them to pack up move to Atlantic. Some do use it exclusively for shopping etc. However the byproduct is that the economy now flows through the ridiculously inflated economy of Atlantic. Something that I pay a simple 10 mil on Drachs for I pay close to 300 on Atl. This is one thing if you play on Atl and subject yourself to it, but because it is now the central market the rest of the shards are subject to its mercy. And for the most part, have accepted that everything is now ridiculously expensive.
Add into this that you either have to pay 20 dollars if you even want to make a one way trip to or from, or have to have the 14-year entitlement, and why would any of us want to continue.

And yes new players can start on Atl it Europa. But that argument is moot for people that have been on their homeshards forever and don’t have the entitlement because they are either just shy or haven’t been able to play/pay consecutively.

I have cultivated alliances that allow me to overcome this, but not everyone has that advantage. And the denial of this being game-breaking is nothing more than arrogant entitlement.
Yes you should be rewarded for your time, effort, and loyalty.
But that doesn’t mean the game should be exponentially more difficult to enjoy for the rest of us.
It also does not mean you should come and demand perks. We paid that same 20 bucks a transfer for years ,what makes you think you should not. My reward for time and loyalty are Vet Rewards.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It also does not mean you should come and demand perks. We paid that same 20 bucks a transfer for years ,what makes you think you should not. My reward for time and loyalty are Vet Rewards.
So you think it's all right that the global eco system in UO went to hell the day EA made the shard-shield reward ?
If i were boss in EA,i would have fired that clown who came up with the shard-shield idea, must have cost them a fortune in lost sales. I guess i should just laugh at EA for being so dumb lol

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’m not slinging mud. I’m pointing out lines of text that you obviously either cannot read or don’t comprehend.
Yes, transfers were there, and yes the pricing has remained the same. But the times have not. If shard shields didn’t exist, I wouldn’t complain about the price of the normal tokens. But they do. Hence this thread.

And I do not think you can use the word communicate since you cannot come up with anything other than “Back in my day” arguments. This isn’t 20 years ago. This isn’t even 10 years ago. The times, economy, market, and necessities have changed. If you want remain willfully ignorant than please, by all means, remove yourself from the conversation.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This whole thread is mute.
Vets have the shield tokens as a reward for paying subs for so many years.
non-vets have transfer tokens they buy (you haven't paid for so many years)

NOBODY is forcing you or anybody to use or buy them or x-fer shards.
If you x-fer shards it is YOUR choice and those are your options.

Now if you want to have a real discussion then talk about the travesty they made of the Phoenix......which we are now FORCED to see daily in UO.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you think it's all right that the global eco system in UO went to hell the day EA made the shard-shield reward ?
If i were boss in EA,i would have fired that clown who came up with the shard-shield idea, must have cost them a fortune in lost sales. I guess i should just laugh at EA for being so dumb lol
How long were char trans tokens being sold by EA before the vet reward and now you are trying to blame it all on the reward, that is so funny, try again.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Players starting today are not even guaranteed there will still be UO in 14 years to obtain a shard shield. That's a problem for sure.

The solution was to put transfer tokens in the store, you can buy them for any shard, these probably make good money for UO.

My solution would be to remove the account bound tag on these, make it so you can sell them like other rewards. I'm sure there is a reason that this isn't so already, probably related to abuse of some sort, but it would be the best idea.

I think I have a chest with probably 60-70 transfer tokens from shard shields that I cannot use because they didn't come from my shields(idoc looted). Maybe the shield itself can remain bound but the tokens can be sold... though that favors the old and the rich... I dunno, something CAN be done but it's probably not high priority.

Sorry new guys, if you still like shard shields 14 years from now, and the game is still running, check back then,

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long were char trans tokens being sold by EA before the vet reward and now you are trying to blame it all on the reward, that is so funny, try again.
The interesting and funny part is, how many transfer tokens did EA sell after they introduced shard-shields compared to how many the sold before.
Why do you keep denying the fact that EA lost a lot of revenue by giving "free" char transfers away.
Sorry kid but you're lame attempts of trolling every thread on this forum year after year is so laughable.
So have another attempt of trolling kid,thats all you can do.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The interesting and funny part is, how many transfer tokens did EA sell after they introduced shard-shields compared to how many the sold before.
Why do you keep denying the fact that EA lost a lot of revenue by giving "free" char transfers away.
Sorry kid but you're lame attempts of trolling every thread on this forum year after year is so laughable.
So tell me how is it you are privee to EAs/BS financial records? You don't? Then you claiming "laughable" is just that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Show us proof, oh that is right you can't. :next:
I am sorry I forgot the part that you changed your tactics to another line of BS. First it was the economy and now it is EA lost money and we all know that EA is one of the most money grubbing companies and if they though for one sec that they would lose one dime from this then it would never have happened.

TY for calling me a kid it makes me feel young

Last edited:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they sell quite alot of them then there sold on the black market for in game gold. I know all this because I got the info from the horses mouth my dread mare tells me everything

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Now if you want to have a real discussion then talk about the travesty they made of the Phoenix......which we are now FORCED to see daily in UO.
wtf1.png wtf2.png
Thank you for bringing this abomination to my attention, if you are going to start a movement to reverse this change (Seriously, why has this happened?) then you have my backing, good sir.

To actually respond to the thread... well, I don't know where I stand. I've had the option to select shields for a few years but never actually chosen any. Sounds like reducing the price of the Tokens would be a good idea; maintain revenue (perhaps more in the long run?) but make it a little more equal footing.

Are "Shard moonstones" a bad idea? Like how the Trammel/Felucca moonstones used to work. Could be really rare drops or something, but must be preset for a random shard (Could maybe allow a party to go through). I spose Atlantic would be the most sought after~

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
To those that decide to make assumptions of me:
I feel good that you decided to spend time talking about/to me. Thanks.

And to respond about my earlier statement. My position on transfers is moot. I can function either way. I was just leaning towards the one that doesn’t require me shoveling percentages of my paycheck to keep up with the times.

My position is purely cynical of the environment that has been created, not wholly, but in large part by the mass culture of transfers. Yes they existed before, but the Shard Shields revolutionized it. And I’m sorry, but in my eyes they are one of many huge contributions to the steady decline Of UO.

My saying they could get rid of the transfer system stands. I’ve survived without it and I shall continue to do so. What I would like addressed, or heck, even acknowledged, is that there is a problem now.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone mentioned a shard gate not sure who I'm sure with ej that will be coming soon since they can't place houses or use the shields, but it will cost players to use it you click on the gate you choose a shard a gump comes up you get a choice use soveners or buy with cc to transfer to another shard.
It was me and this sounds perfect EA/BS needs to make it easier for us to throw money at them it should all be able to happen in game with out having to go to first the origin store (possibly the slowest website in existence) then to the accounts management page why why why..

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tl;dr (stopped at the top of the 2nd page)

This thread is silly.

Vet rewards are just that, a reward, for paying X number of months. A lot of MMOs have them in one form or another, it's one of the ways you keep people from unsubbing when they aren't actively playing.

A portion of the monthly subscription fee is how they're purchased, if you want to look at it that way. It's like a store loyalty card building up "free" products as you use it. The products/rewards aren't actually free. Just like holiday/anniversary gifts aren't actually free, it's all part of the subscription price. They're hooks. We're fish.

I'm not wild about the idea of vet rewards being sold in the item shop, or about people throwing fistfuls of cash at Origin to buy years. (Note: the likelihood that said cash would be reinvested into UO hovers somewhere south of zero. EA will instead spend it on FIFA or their next soon-to-be-canceled MMO du jour.)

At the party, Mesanna was somewhat tepid on the idea of "buying up lost years" since an account's original start date, which is different from straight up buying years your account didn't exist (which I seriously doubt she'd go for).

The devs already made a huge concession when they removed the age requirement to even use a vet reward, demanding more is just entitlement run amok. Someone who has been paying for 10, 15, 20+ years definitely deserves perks unavailable to someone who started yesterday.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Transfer tolkens allow you to transfer backpack, bank box, stable and 5 pack animals. Shield only bank, backpack and stable.

Transfer tolkens are far better for moving items around.

Transfer tolken can be used by anyone and cost around $5 to $10 each depending on who or where you purchase them.

Transfer tolkens have been heavily duped, sooo... Stop saying they cost $20

:yell:

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have yet to answer if you would pay a years subscription cost per year to advance to 14 years. It has been asked twice. Also a vet token will not move you to another shard. You can only take what is in the bank and stable. The vet token s are make for transfer and return. The store tokens are one way transfer of everything but house.

So the store token is what you need.

Also mark me as an elitist.
So your idea is to charge me to go form 8/9 years to 14 years? if so I would expect the full 14 year package not just the shields so your idea does not really make sense?

They did make teleported tiles available to everyone, albeit inferior but still very usable, so I don't understand why they won't with shard shields. Maybe I token every 2 months as opposed to the 1 month vets enjoy?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This thread is silly.

Vet rewards are just that, a reward, for paying X number of months. A lot of MMOs have them in one form or another, it's one of the ways you keep people from unsubbing when they aren't actively playing.

A portion of the monthly subscription fee is how they're purchased, if you want to look at it that way. It's like a store loyalty card building up "free" products as you use it. The products/rewards aren't actually free. Just like holiday/anniversary gifts aren't actually free, it's all part of the subscription price. They're hooks. We're fish.

I'm not wild about the idea of vet rewards being sold in the item shop, or about people throwing fistfuls of cash at Origin to buy years. (Note: the likelihood that said cash would be reinvested into UO hovers somewhere south of zero. EA will instead spend it on FIFA or their next soon-to-be-canceled MMO du jour.)

At the party, Mesanna was somewhat tepid on the idea of "buying up lost years" since an account's original start date, which is different from straight up buying years your account didn't exist (which I seriously doubt she'd go for).

The devs already made a huge concession when they removed the age requirement to even use a vet reward, demanding more is just entitlement run amok. Someone who has been paying for 10, 15, 20+ years definitely deserves perks unavailable to someone who started yesterday.
they made teleport tiles for everyone, no reason why they cant make shard shield of some sort for everyone

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go buy transfer tokens problem solved.
think we all know the difference between a one shot token and the shields, not that I am a betting man, but I would take a wager that if the shields did become available they would fly off the shelves. I for one, in case no one noticed would but many of them :)

They did the same with teleport tiles, I don't see why they cant do the same for these somehow

I don't buy transfer tokens, I wont pay 90m in game so Broadsword are already losing out
like I say I would buy plenty, and I would venture to new shards and enhance my playing experience, and this would make me want to stay longer, and sure it would for countless others too

To appease the Vets make them spit out 1 token every 2 months

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone who played UO longer than me has something I don’t have! There are lots of cool things I’d love to have in the game but I can’t because some other jack ass has it not me! All shard transfers have accomplished is encouraging everything to centralize on Atlantic. As a shield owner all I use mine for is Atlantic shopping trips and then going home to the much more fun, and less laggy Pacific.

As others have said you can buy those tokens, make characters on other servers, etc. Why should they change it?
do you have teleported tiles in your in game house? the non vet red ones that are available to buy in the store?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This thread is silly.

shard shields are account bound, so cant be traded, unlike most other vet rewards

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This topic always dismays me.

Vet rewards should NEVER have given gameplay advantage. Full stop. THAT is the problem. Reward vets all day long, but items that give actual gameplay advantage only put newer players further behind the curve than they already are by virtue of not having had the same amount of time put in to the game, for whatever reason that may be. It effectively increases the entry level cost of the game. It exponentially widens the divide between vet and newcomer.

Any vet reward that gives a gameplay advantage should be a very low year pick. That does not hurt old vets. What does it cost a 20-year player for a 1-year player to have a shard shield or a Davies Locker or a smith press? Another player enjoying and being able to fully participate in the game a little more and maybe sticking around longer?

Personally I think shard shields should never have been put in the game, period. That horse is out of the barn, down the road, and eating the neighbor's petunias at this point, but some of the attitudes displayed in this thread are a big part of why UO is dying. Old vets have kept UO limping along, yes, but without new blood the game WILL die.

And anyone who thinks that everyone with shard shields earned them through steadfast loyalty to the game through thick and thin, think again. Third party account selling has been going on for ages and Broadsword clearly has zero interest in curbing it (and possibly actively facilitates it). The people helped most by high year gameplay advantage vet picks are third party account sellers.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't buy transfer tokens, I wont pay 90m in game so Broadsword are already losing out
Did you really say this? You do understand that Broadsword is not the one selling this item it is a player selling it and EA/noname site has already gotten their cash for it. You may also want to understand that Broadsword makes no money what so ever off selling items in the online store. Broadsword is a game management company hire by EA to run/maintain UO and DAoC, all your subs and purchases in the Origin store go directly into EAs pockets or the 3rd party sites. You keep going on and on about all this money you are willing to throw around so please enlighten us on what you think would be a price you are willing to pay for Shard Shields and what restrictions should be placed on them.

I forgot the most important part here, just because one player is trying to get 90M for a token does not mean that is what they are worth, did you even bother to ask in Gen Chat if anybody had any for sell and how much they wanted for them or better yet try hooking up with someone on your shard that makes runs to help you out.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And anyone who thinks that everyone with shard shields earned them through steadfast loyalty to the game through thick and thin, think again. Third party account selling has been going on for ages and Broadsword clearly has zero interest in curbing it (and possibly actively facilitates it). The people helped most by high year gameplay advantage vet picks are third party account sellers.
So I can go buy an account that magically aged because it is being sold, I need to go buy me some accounts. Anybody got a 1 year account to sell that magically ages to 14 year for sell, oh that's right some one had to pay the subs on those accounts for the required years to make that account eligible for those rewards so yes that account earned those rewards no matter what BS you are trying to spin. Are your accounts older than 14 years? If so do you offer FREE rides to all these disadvantaged players? If not have you tried hooking up with a player that has shard shields?
Seriously would you care to enlighten us on this HUGE GAMEPLAY ADVANTAGE that Shard Shields have given us that Char Xfer Tokens hasn't given.

Last edited:

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you really say this? You do understand that Broadsword is not the one selling this item it is a player selling it and EA/noname site has already gotten their cash for it. You may also want to understand that Broadsword makes no money what so ever off selling items in the online store. Broadsword is a game management company hire by EA to run/maintain UO and DAoC, all your subs and purchases in the Origin store go directly into EAs pockets or the 3rd party sites. You keep going on and on about all this money you are willing to throw around so please enlighten us on what you think would be a price you are willing to pay for Shard Shields and what restrictions should be placed on them.

I forgot the most important part here, just because one player is trying to get 90M for a token does not mean that is what they are worth, did you even bother to ask in Gen Chat if anybody had any for sell and how much they wanted for them or better yet try hooking up with someone on your shard that makes runs to help you out.
apologise if I mistake broadsword/origin etc. So the origin store, whoever sells the sovereigns and teleported tiles etc. Price wise its not up to me of course, so whatever the sovereign cost would be to purchase.

In an ideal world, I would want them exactly the same as the vet rewards, however, if this is going to cause a problem to vets (who I really do not want to offend) then I have spoken with others here about maybe the shield fires out 1 token every 2 months, that was the vets still have the reward they "earned" but we can get a working alternative, like the teleporters

I would be interested to know how many Vets would like to buy extra shields if they did not have enough picks to select all they wanted. This would at least give them a chance to own more.
And make then acct bound

Syncros

Adventurer
This topic always dismays me.

Vet rewards should NEVER have given gameplay advantage. Full stop. THAT is the problem. Reward vets all day long, but items that give actual gameplay advantage only put newer players further behind the curve than they already are by virtue of not having had the same amount of time put in to the game, for whatever reason that may be. It effectively increases the entry level cost of the game. It exponentially widens the divide between vet and newcomer.

Any vet reward that gives a gameplay advantage should be a very low year pick. That does not hurt old vets. What does it cost a 20-year player for a 1-year player to have a shard shield or a Davies Locker or a smith press? Another player enjoying and being able to fully participate in the game a little more and maybe sticking around longer?

Personally I think shard shields should never have been put in the game, period. That horse is out of the barn, down the road, and eating the neighbor's petunias at this point, but some of the attitudes displayed in this thread are a big part of why UO is dying. Old vets have kept UO limping along, yes, but without new blood the game WILL die.

Couldn't agree more.
Shard shields shouldnt even have been a vet reward.