• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP dying a painful death from Tamers Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeneas

Adventurer
The implication of a pet that can tank any spawn solo and rarely need heals, etc... cool to think of...
UO provides tamers with God mode... you didn't even know you needed it until you got it and now you cannot live without it; it's what you've always dreamed of... you can tank anything - including people... boring!

These threads are a waste of time, just as my 18 year investment into my accounts...

As has been stated hundreds of times before, a new patch has come with and people are exploiting the new powers. they will eventually get nerfed but not quick enough to save a group of people from walking away. And then once they finally nerf it, they will lose the other portion of players too who argued against it... it's always a lose lose situation!

Call me pessimistic or look at UO's grand history of content implication... you'll maybe get a "lightbulb" experience from it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have tamers w/o vet but with weaving for WOD. The most bang for the skill points combo is 220 taming+lore (to control lots of pet with 99% chance). A 120-in-most-skills pet can solo/tank just about anything w/ just some great heal casted on from half a screen away.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are the 1st person who has actually said they have been killed by a tamer. That's my point.
That's not a point, though. Kinda when corpse stacked on curse to lower to 45 poison resist. No one was specifically dying to it- but pvpers could easily see and show how it was overpowered and needed fixed. "If no one says they died to it- then it is not overpowered"... I may have to go start suggesting a bunch of PvM changes and use that was my argument. Nerf sampires in pvm.. no one ever died to em, no biggie.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's not a point, though. Kinda when corpse stacked on curse to lower to 45 poison resist. No one was specifically dying to it- but pvpers could easily see and show how it was overpowered and needed fixed. "If no one says they died to it- then it is not overpowered"... I may have to go start suggesting a bunch of PvM changes and use that was my argument. Nerf sampires in pvm.. no one ever died to em, no biggie.
Sometimes I wish Barracoon or Rikktor would post on stratics and let us know how they really feel.

"I thought sampires were bad, at least if I hit them hard and fast enough a few times I might get a kill, but these pets are ridiculous, the tamer just sits over there eating donuts while I bash on his little doggie not accomplishing anything while taking armor ignores to the face, wtf devs"

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Third - Look at the sneers by the playerkillers at the pvm players or the constant taunts about being a trammie.
You just called me a "murderer" bud.. because i kill people in a video game. lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First I am not arguing that "pvp alteration ever made again" - where did I say that or even come close to saying that.
here:

The real problem occurs that if changes are made that affect pvp (like tele, dismount and casting range) it won't be enough. The pvps will want even greater changes. The non-pvp people know this and will fight for no change to avoid even more nerfs.
I don't know what else to infer from this statement. You state the real problem is pvpers asking for changes, because they will want more changes, and never be satisfied.
This is the main argument against helping out pvpers getting things balanced for them. It's a slippery slope logical argument, and it's an inherently flawed and frequently used rhetorical mechanic, that basically seeks to obscure any possible middle ground. I don't think it's really helpful to the conversation of "how can we balance this so everyone is happy?"

Second - I base my conclusions on human nature and past changes. People usually pick one or two things to complain about and when that is fixed they move on to their next complaint knowing that if they complain about 5 or 6 things, they are unlikely to win on all.
But again... we all do that. Why would we not? Everyone has their things in game that bring them happiness, for some its pvp, for some its pvm for some its something else, and we all want what enjoy to be as good as it possibly can be. Pvpers are no different than any of us.

Third - Look at the sneers by the playerkillers at the pvm players or the constant taunts about being a trammie.
Look at the likewise sneers from the so called "trammies" when any pvp thread is made. Just because certain members from both sides can't resist resorting to being childish doesn't mean that their core arguments inherently lack merit. I would add that there have been a many very reasonable and polite pvpers in this very thread, who I generally find to be likewise in other threads.

I am sure changes will be made but everyone wants the changes to affect the other guy and not themselves.
...But that's not true! I've seen this claim made multiple times in this thread and I have to wonder if people are actually reading or they are just assuming the content of people's posts. The vast majority of suggestions made for how to fix the problem have been made with the express idea that they have as limited an impact on pvm as possible.

Basically, there quite obviously is a strong imbalance going on, one group is seeing their playstyle eroding away, and another not wanting the same thing to happen to them. There absolutly IS a middle ground to find here, but when comments are made such as "oh but that will lead to this and this and this unspecified change, and taming will be destroyed" it just stalls any conversation. I know some people don't care about pvpers, and wouldn't mind if they all quit, but that's soooooo short sighted.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
None of the templates you just named are by any means killed, they were just toned down and rightfully so. Archers ai reduced and moving shot fixed, rightfully so considering it was ranged dmg same or better than a non ranged melee. Parry wrestle scribe focused mage, highest possible casting damage as well as highest possible mage defense... Didn't make a lot of sense. Right after those two changes you could argue templates were as balanced as they've been in a decade. I still have two parry mage flavored mages and use them both more than any other char...

I'm not sure what you are referring to about Deathstrike, what was changed with it? I still see deathstrikers playing their temps just as they ever have.
They were all hit overly hard, and no, some people might still play them, but they are most certainly not the meta. Before the last publish everyone was playing 4/6 chiv chars and LP splinter mages, and now the meta is nothing but tamers with variations of other classes.

Unless you like the style, playing an archer is stupid as hell now. Archers got nerfed in dumb ways. Moving shots got overly nerfed, armor ignore nerfs, nerfs to DPS that result from swing speed, and they absolutely destroyed mortal. Playing an archer now is completely unappealing, and a waste of time, even though the solution was really simple. All they had to do was reduce the base damage on bows, give moving shots a slight reduction to it's damage, and slightly reduce the duration of mortal. This was actually a case where the simpler solution was better than the complicated one. They chose the complicated one. Archers still would've been viable and plenty of fun to play, and tons of people would still be playing them.

Wrestle parry mages are no longer good now unless it's a hybrid temp. No, they are not the highest casting damage, parry caps sdi at 20, and if you want to say they are better because of inscribe, well you can add scribe to any other mage temp as well. For example, an inscribe mystic mage would easily do way more damage than a wrestle parry scribe mage. Wrestle Parry mages now NEED scribe just to have the same amount of SDI (30) that they used to have without it, except now you're sacrificing 100 skill points which used to be used for something like alchemy. There's no reason that they needed to add parry to the focus mage exception list. and yet they did. The made "focus mages" with an sdi cap increase to compete with mystics and necros. Now they nerfed it to hell, and increased the general sdi cap, meaning wrestle parry mages now do way less damage than mystic and necro mages spell wise. That's not even mentioning the extra damage that a non-wrestle parry mage would get from using a weapon (hit spell, armor ignore, splinter, LP, etc). There's a reason everyone moved to LP splinter mages.

And as for deathstrikers, they've been on the decline for a long time now. They became less viable as other templates became more powerful offensively and defensively. First, they overly nerfed frenzied whirlwind when they reduced the slow duration from 4.5 seconds to 2 seconds. 4.5 seconds was OP when everyone played mage weapon mages, but by that time, everyone made the transition to wrestle parry mages. Then the masteries hit, which nerfed deathstrikers even more, by giving archers/dexxers the ability to use the disarm mastery. Then it got nerfed by way of stagnation. Wrestle Parry mages added healing to their defense, Archers added bushido confidence heals, and all deathstrikers got was a mastery that gave a lower chance to be revealed when stealthing- something that's especially useful when outnumbered/alone, but not nearly as important in group fights as healing skill or bushido heals. Then, they removed disarm splinters altogether, and along with the masteries, a far better template defensively and utility wise, with similar damage arose- the bushido parry 4/6 chiv dexxer- decreasing the need for the deathstriker's utility abilities in a group.

Don't get me wrong, some of these nerfs were necessary- like the no-dachi dismount, and although the waki nerf was too hard, it did need a nerf. But they nerfed these templates too hard. Sure, they aren't completely useless, but they nerfed them to the point where they are not competitively viable options, and also, they are not nearly as fun as they used to be.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They were all hit overly hard, and no, some people might still play them, but they are most certainly not the meta. Before the last publish everyone was playing 4/6 chiv chars and LP splinter mages, and now the meta is nothing but tamers with variations of other classes.

Unless you like the style, playing an archer is stupid as hell now. Archers got nerfed in dumb ways. Moving shots got overly nerfed, armor ignore nerfs, nerfs to DPS that result from swing speed, and they absolutely destroyed mortal. Playing an archer now is completely unappealing, and a waste of time, even though the solution was really simple. All they had to do was reduce the base damage on bows, give moving shots a slight reduction to it's damage, and slightly reduce the duration of mortal. This was actually a case where the simpler solution was better than the complicated one. They chose the complicated one. Archers still would've been viable and plenty of fun to play, and tons of people would still be playing them

Wrestle parry mages are no longer good now unless it's a hybrid temp. No, they are not the highest casting damage, parry caps sdi at 20, and if you want to say they are better because of inscribe, well you can add scribe to any other mage temp as well. For example, an inscribe mystic mage would easily do way more damage than a wrestle parry scribe mage. Wrestle Parry mages now NEED scribe just to have the same amount of SDI (30) that they used to have without it, except now you're sacrificing 100 skill points which used to be used for something like alchemy. That's not even mentioning the extra damage that a non-wrestle mage would get from using a weapon (hit spell, armor ignore, splinter, LP, etc). There's a reason everyone moved to LP splinter mages.

And as for deathstrikers, they've been on the decline for a long time now. They became less viable as other templates became more powerful offensively and defensively. First, they overly nerfed frenzied whirlwind when they reduced the slow duration from 4.5 seconds to 2 seconds. 4.5 seconds was OP when everyone played mage weapon mages, but by that time, everyone made the transition to wrestle parry mages. Then the masteries hit, which nerfed deathstrikers even more, by giving archers/dexxers the ability to use the disarm mastery. Then it got nerfed by way of stagnation. Wrestle Parry mages added healing to their defense, Archers added bushido confidence heals, and all deathstrikers got was a mastery that gave a lower chance to be revealed when stealthing- something that's especially useful when outnumbered/alone, but not nearly as important in group fights as healing skill or bushido heals. Then, they removed disarm splinters altogether, and along with the masteries, a far better template defensively and utility wise, with similar damage arose- the bushido parry 4/6 chiv dexxer- decreasing the need for the deathstriker's utility abilities in a group.

Don't get me wrong, some of these nerfs were necessary- like the no-dachi dismount, and although the waki nerf was too hard, it did need a nerf. But they nerfed these templates too hard. Sure, they aren't completely useless, but they nerfed them to the point where they are not competitively viable options, and also, they are not nearly as fun as they used to be.
As far as wrestle parry or any variation with scribe, you should.not be comparing it's damage output to other templates that have far less defense. My parry mage pre nerfs was scribe AND alchy and anat and 120 parry. It casted at 40 sdi, it had the most defense a mage could ask for, it had enhanced heals and cures and it dropped huge Nova/conflag. 40 sdi was the tops of mage spell damage, coupled further with the Nova and conflag damage, and just so happened to be the best defense available to a mage with the parry. It needed toned down for it's defense coupled with the offense. This template was a dexer killing machine.

But why did people make the parry mages? Because of archers. Archers could chunk out the most damage of any melee class if done properly, and also happen to do the damage at range and on the run. Non ranged melee dexers had a great argument stating it' bs that the range class can do what they can and more (hit spell+velocity). There needed to be a trade-off. Archers are perfectly viable still, hell with all the people holding mage weaps again the disarm archer is prime for a comeback.

I don't get the argument regarding a deathstriker. They've never been more or less than what they are today. If anything, they are again more viable due to the lack of parry mages and the use of mage weaps and weaps for hybrids.

Yes people went to lp splinter mage, and it's mostly because splinter is and has been overpowered. It is also because a hybrid is the best (and only?) Worthwhile class that still maintains focused SDI for maximum spell damage. The tactics mages are just beloved by many, and became even more viable recently with tactics change so it was/is fresh. People had hybrids before the changes too, if u recall before I quit several were pushing archer mages.

Many have thought for years pets had no place in PvP, so bumping them up 10 notches didn't do PvP any favors

Kal vas wall of text

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As far as wrestle parry or any variation with scribe, you should.not be comparing it's damage output to other templates that have far less defense. My parry mage pre nerfs was scribe AND alchy and anat and 120 parry. It casted at 40 sdi, it had the most defense a mage could ask for, it had enhanced heals and cures and it dropped huge Nova/conflag. 40 sdi was the tops of mage spell damage, coupled further with the Nova and conflag damage, and just so happened to be the best defense available to a mage with the parry. It needed toned down for it's defense coupled with the offense. This template was a dexer killing machine.

But why did people make the parry mages? Because of archers. Archers could chunk out the most damage of any melee class if done properly, and also happen to do the damage at range and on the run. Non ranged melee dexers had a great argument stating it' bs that the range class can do what they can and more (hit spell+velocity). There needed to be a trade-off. Archers are perfectly viable still, hell with all the people holding mage weaps again the disarm archer is prime for a comeback.

I don't get the argument regarding a deathstriker. They've never been more or less than what they are today. If anything, they are again more viable due to the lack of parry mages and the use of mage weaps and weaps for hybrids.

Yes people went to lp splinter mage, and it's mostly because splinter is and has been overpowered. It is also because a hybrid is the best (and only?) Worthwhile class that still maintains focused SDI for maximum spell damage. The tactics mages are just beloved by many, and became even more viable recently with tactics change so it was/is fresh. People had hybrids before the changes too, if u recall before I quit several were pushing archer mages.

Many have thought for years pets had no place in PvP, so bumping them up 10 notches didn't do PvP any favors

Kal vas wall of text
I agree that Archers and Wrestle Parry mages definitely needed a nerf, but as I said, the nerfs went too far. The templates now a days are no longer competitively viable. Your whole point seems to be that all of the other templates now are viable because of the nerf to wrestle parry mages, and to a degree you're correct, but you forgot one thing; they didn't do anything at all to bushido parry chiv dexxers. They left them completely alone. They also left splinter alone.

What they should have done was like I said, reduce the base damage on bows and on moving shots, reduced the mortal duration slightly, remove the tactics requirement entirely, and nerf parry chance by about 5%. Wrestle parry mages were not "dexxer killing machines." Dexxers did way more damage to other dexxers than mages did, and all anyone had to do to survive a wrestle parry mage was run. The problem was that they were ridiculously hard to kill, unless you got some lucky rng; and not just them btw, but ALL characters with parry. With a 5% parry reduction, wrestle parry mages would've been significantly easier to hit, and so would've templates like Chiv Bush Parry dexxers (Which btw, are still insanely OP defensively). You said the tactics change increased the viability of tactics mages, which caused more people to play them, which made playing dexxers more viable. Except, they didn't need to uber nerf wrestle parry mages to get people to play tactics mages. They could've removed the tactics requirement entirely. There's no good reason not to, and I didn't hear a single person give a valid argument against it other than the fact that they wouldn't like it, which isn't a good argument to make when 60% of UO's population DID want the tactics requirement entirely removed, and that's not including all of the pvpers that were banned from stratics, and all of the non-pvpers who voted against it. If they removed the tactics requirement and decreased parry chance by about 5%, they could've improved the viability of tank mages without overly nerfing wrestle parry mages. Wrestle parry mages still would have gotten a necessary nerf, and btw, so would have the 4/6 chiv bush parry templates. Also, by nerfing Archers the way I proposed, with a reduction in the base damage of bows, reduction to the damage of moving shots, and slightly lower mortal durations, they could've kept archers competitively viable (and fun) while also giving people less reason to play parry mages.

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
You should play a character without parry even today and see how often you're hit by every dexer... But hey, my splinter wep is good enough defense for being hit almost every single time with max defense chance. I think not... Archers are still highly competitive as well as death strikers. Just because some people lose on them to weapon mages doesn't mean that they aren't viable in group pvp or in a 1v1 scenario.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that Archers and Wrestle Parry mages definitely needed a nerf, but as I said, the nerfs went too far. The templates now a days are no longer competitively viable. Your whole point seems to be that all of the other templates now are viable because of the nerf to wrestle parry mages, and to a degree you're correct, but you forgot one thing; they didn't do anything at all to bushido parry chiv dexxers. They left them completely alone. They also left splinter alone.

What they should have done was like I said, reduce the base damage on bows and on moving shots, reduced the mortal duration slightly, remove the tactics requirement entirely, and nerf parry chance by about 5%. Wrestle parry mages were not "dexxer killing machines." Dexxers did way more damage to other dexxers than mages did, and all anyone had to do to survive a wrestle parry mage was run. The problem was that they were ridiculously hard to kill, unless you got some lucky rng; and not just them btw, but ALL characters with parry. With a 5% parry reduction, wrestle parry mages would've been significantly easier to hit, and so would've templates like Chiv Bush Parry dexxers (Which btw, are still insanely OP defensively). You said the tactics change increased the viability of tactics mages, which caused more people to play them, which made playing dexxers more viable. Except, they didn't need to uber nerf wrestle parry mages to get people to play tactics mages. They could've removed the tactics requirement entirely. There's no good reason not to, and I didn't hear a single person give a valid argument against it other than the fact that they wouldn't like it, which isn't a good argument to make when 60% of UO's population DID want the tactics requirement entirely removed, and that's not including all of the pvpers that were banned from stratics, and all of the non-pvpers who voted against it. If they removed the tactics requirement and decreased parry chance by about 5%, they could've improved the viability of tank mages without overly nerfing wrestle parry mages. Wrestle parry mages still would have gotten a necessary nerf, and btw, so would have the 4/6 chiv bush parry templates. Also, by nerfing Archers the way I proposed, with a reduction in the base damage of bows, reduction to the damage of moving shots, and slightly lower mortal durations, they could've kept archers competitively viable (and fun) while also giving people less reason to play parry mages.
We're close enough in this not to even debate it to be honest

And we both agree that tamers need nerfed, just in varying amounts. I personally, think that they should be nerfed to be only slightly more effective than they were pre publish. Make them just as easy to kill, and just as damaging, with some new abilities and call it good. Right now they have too much of all 3.

Though if someone said you could no longer "all kill" a player in fel, i wouldn't necessarily cry about that either. You need to play to experience them to get a real feel. Unfortunately you are in Hi-5 which is the biggest group of tamer users, so you won't quite get the full effect of it as the rest do, and you probably will hear some more biased commentary in voice regarding them.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You should play a character without parry even today and see how often you're hit by every dexer... But hey, my splinter wep is good enough defense for being hit almost every single time with max defense chance. I think not... Archers are still highly competitive as well as death strikers. Just because some people lose on them to weapon mages doesn't mean that they aren't viable in group pvp or in a 1v1 scenario.
Who is talking about 1v1's? And no, I don't think they're "highly competitive," at least not compared to the alternatives (like bushido chiv dexxers). I will concede that they are still somewhat viable though. But there is a meta, and they certainly aren't part of it; and most importantly they are significantly less fun to play, balance aside.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bane, this reminds me though, what templates do you play?

Parry mages, an archer, and a deathstriker? Maybe its not that they were nerfed to hard, they just slightly nerfed everything you played so it hurt more than it would for most.

Bushido chiv dexers are good, but they are far from elite or overpowered. Their offense is very limited, their defense is fantastic, and their best move is a dismount. Very group oriented char. Honestly, if i had any dexer gear today i'd still be putting together an archer right now... and i still might if i find the gear.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem that started all of these goes back to having almost unlimited mana. Without raising LMC to 55 and adding in global loot, moving shot wasn't possible to run someone down with. Same goes for building the Uber parry mage setup, without all the buffs from gear and extra lmc they couldn't be that OP. There doesn't need to be high DPS like there is, its seems people have even shorter attention spans and want basically instant kills. Then the bug that was fixed with the 100 MR pot was exploited on top of that. Remember when you had to time your weapon specials to conserve mana and get your kills. There was no need for focus spec for casting schools and still isn't. Splintering should have never been added to UO, unless it was intended for pure melee only. Archers would have never been a issue at all. Of course any of these in numbers would be a problem but that doesn't matter, its based on 1v1. I say remove the extra lmc from uo completely and limit stats in pvp regardless of gear. I don't care what people paid for their so called suits, if you paid billions then your just an idiot. I can kill almost anyone with a imbued suit, gear doesn't determine pvp status. Make Pvp great again by bringing intelligence back into play.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
We're close enough in this not to even debate it to be honest

And we both agree that tamers need nerfed, just in varying amounts. I personally, think that they should be nerfed to be only slightly more effective than they were pre publish. Make them just as easy to kill, and just as damaging, with some new abilities and call it good. Right now they have too much of all 3.

Though if someone said you could no longer "all kill" a player in fel, i wouldn't necessarily cry about that either. You need to play to experience them to get a real feel. Unfortunately you are in Hi-5 which is the biggest group of tamer users, so you won't quite get the full effect of it as the rest do, and you probably will hear some more biased commentary in voice regarding them.
I used to hate pets in pvp, until I learned how to fight tamers. Then I just saw them as slightly annoying. Then eventually I made one, and now I actually enjoy pets in pvp (to an extent that is). But that said, they definitely need some kind of nerfs atm, I agree.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used to hate pets in pvp, until I learned how to fight tamers. Then I just saw them as slightly annoying. Then eventually I made one, and now I actually enjoy pets in pvp (to an extent that is). But that said, they definitely need some kind of nerfs atm, I agree.
This is adding up

You complained they nerfed parry mages and archers too hard (your main chars) you complain the deathstriker is underpowered (your most used char now when you logon) and now you are one of the few PvPers in this thread that says "yea nerfem, but don't nerfem tooo bad" because you made one and you like it.

Take the bias out man

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Bane, this reminds me though, what templates do you play?

Parry mages, an archer, and a deathstriker? Maybe its not that they were nerfed to hard, they just slightly nerfed everything you played so it hurt more than it would for most.
That would be a fair point if it was true, but it's actually not. I play everything. Yes, I have an archer and a deathstriker and a wrestle parry mage, and yes, I think they were nerfed too hard, but I also play a tank mage, and a bushido parry holy fister that I want nerfed. The template I've played the most this past year was a bushido dexxer tamer which I also want nerfed now. The thing I want most in this game is template diversity and viability. Even when I played WoW I worked 6 characters to 30 before I got one to 40. I enjoy playing different things probably more than anyone, and I'm probably the last people that you could say is bias for one side (at least more than the average person). I want ALL of my templates to be balanced and fun to play, and if you look at my proposals, that's completely consistent with what I've asked for. Also, if you look back to my old posts, I was one of the biggest advocates for mages with mage weapons when everyone was making the transition to wrestle parry. Even though I was one of the first to make the transition, I was constantly arguing on these forums how it's ridiculous that every mage has to play with parry. I was also one of the biggest advocates for the nerf of archers, even though I had one myself. I was also an advocate for the waki nerf before they did it, I just think they did it too hard. If you look back to more recent times, I was one of the biggest advocates for the complete removal of the tactics requirement, even though I had, and still have zero intentions of making a weapon skill mage without tactics.

I could see why you might think that I'm just arguing in my own self interest, and I will admit that I am, but not for the reasons that you think. My own self interest is for greater template diversity, because that's what I enjoy most. I'm not like blazing who argued that holy fist wasn't overpowered when it took 1.5 seconds to cast an uninterruptable spell that did 50+ damage and slowed it's targets.

Bushido chiv dexers are good, but they are far from elite or overpowered. Their offense is very limited, their defense is fantastic, and their best move is a dismount. Very group oriented char. Honestly, if i had any dexer gear today i'd still be putting together an archer right now... and i still might if i find the gear.
I agree that bushido chiv dexxers aren't overall super overpowered, but I think they are in some regards. Namely, defense. They are definitely OP defensively, and it's one of those things that's really complicated, because most people don't want to nerf any part of that template individually (like 4/6 chiv), but at the same time, people agree that that combination needs a nerf- but that nerfing something like the casting speed to 2/6 would destroy the template. I would argue that although their defense isn't as good as some other templates, it is definitely better than "very limited." 35 damage every 1.5 seconds, along with an orc brute, nerve strikes, frenzy whirlwinds, etc, I would say isn't too bad. It could be very good if you know how to play the template right and invest in a really good suit. Offensively, I'd give it a 5/10. But it's an amazing template for utility and defensively OP. It's definitely a better group template than a deathstriker or an archer these days. My 5% reduction to parry chance would go a long way to balancing it, along with parry mages and parry in general.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This is adding up

You complained they nerfed parry mages and archers too hard (your main chars) you complain the deathstriker is underpowered (your most used char now when you logon) and now you are one of the few PvPers in this thread that says "yea nerfem, but don't nerfem tooo bad" because you made one and you like it.

Take the bias out man
The fact that now I am defending a handful of templates that I play is merely a coincidence. Those are not the only templates I play. I have a tank mage, a bushido holy fister, and as I just stated, the character I've played the most this past year was my tamer bushido dexxer, who I want to nerf in two regards (the pets need a nerf and parry needs a nerf). The fact of the matter is that when UO nerfs things, they don't start at the margin. Whatever they nerf, they often nerf too hard and the meta temps jump back and forth like a swingsaw. You'll have to read my last post for my whole argument.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You'd have a really hard time getting anyone to understand what overpowered defensively means. I get what ur after, but unless you couple that with something high offense (tamer) no one sees the issue because they aren't dying from it. Someone made a thread a few weeks ago regarding 4/6 bush guys, and it had some good reasoning, could rekindle it.

Not that they won't, a good player under the temp is gunna be a good player regardless.

Personal opinion tho too, I have a hard time saying anything that lacks ranged capability is op. I missed the whole period of fisters being crazy thank God.

I Love Girls

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the last time, I ask, which PvP'rs have been killed by a pet ???? So far no one will admit to it. So apparently there is no problem. Ball is in your court PvP'rs, either admit that the pets are killing you, and let's figure out what tweaks are good for ALL. Or just give it a rest.

FYI, on ATL yesterday afternoon and evening there were a few pets in Fel. But nobody that I saw got killed to them. It must have just been an "off day" for pets killing players. ROFL

I welcome you to come to to a private one on one with me and my pet... I will be more than happy to welcome you into the world of Pokemon Online! Also you can bring any template you would like

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I welcome you to come to to a private one on one with me and my pet... I will be more than happy to welcome you into the world of Pokemon Online! Also you can bring any template you would like
I'm going to take his lack of response to Cteric, myself and now you that he does not want to test this so-called "Easy PVP".... Imagine that.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ROFL y'all obviously didn't the understand the statement, and I am not going to bother to help you do so. As this thread is doing nothing productive and since some are obviously incapable of doing nothing but "calling people out" like 10 yr olds in a school yard, it has become a waste of my time. FYI, @aekyo, didn't you go on a rant in another thread and say you were QUITTING????? What happened to that???? Too funny!

Last edited:

Aeyko

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
ROFL y'all obviously didn't the understand the statement, and I am not going to bother to help you do so. As this thread is doing nothing productive and since some are obviously incapable of doing nothing but "calling people out" like 10 yr olds in a school yard, it has become a waste of my time. FYI, @aekyo, didn't you go on a rant in another thread and say you were QUITTING????? What happened to that???? Too funny!
My "RANT" included me saying me logging in would be few and far between... I've been true to those words. It will get fewer and fewer. It is pretty funny when someone asks you to try to see that you do not know what you're speaking about, you result to insults and laugh because you're simply trolling and afraid. It's that simple, people like you don't care to be educated. You want to troll a thread regarding something you cannot do. GG I suppose at doing nothing productive, calling others unproductive and bringing nothing to the table but furthering the idea that the tram people are only here to troll.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Grandma can Beat your Grandma up because my Grandma understands walker mechanics better than your Grandma :)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

How else can you see it if you do not experience it?

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there some particular reason as to why various casting/magery-based templates should be the most valid option in pvp for three decades in a row?

Every other MMO I've ever played has it's devs kinda rotate which classes or skillsets have the place in the sun when it comes to PvP balance.

UO devteam does pretty much what devteams of games under active development are expected to do, and people rage quit over it.

I'm personally not madly in love with the notion that everything about UO skill/template baance should always remain more stagnant and still than tectonic plates.

People keep snarling about POKEMON ONLINE LUL as if it were some gigantic insult. You know what? Pokemon was, and remains, extremely popular for a reason; it is a killer concept. Find powerful creatures, tame them. Train them. Fight with them. People love taking these steps. It is a game mechanic that appears so appealing for a huge amount of people. It happens so there is much potential depth and room for growth for such in UO too. Small wonder devs want to explore such path.

Taming hasn't been extremely viable or popular in pvp in 20 years. Now it gets it's place under sun and people rage. Magery has been the flavor of the month for 200 months now. Tis alright to try somethbing else.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is there some particular reason as to why various casting/magery-based templates should be the most valid option in pvp for three decades in a row?

Every other MMO I've ever played has it's devs kinda rotate which classes or skillsets have the place in the sun when it comes to PvP balance.

UP devteam does pretty much what..devteams of games under active development are expected to do, and people rage quit over it.
I'm personally not madly in love with the notion that everything about UO should always remain more stagnant and still than tectonic plates.
I wanna know what MMORPG you've been playing for three decades...

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once UO turns 20, it enters it's 3rd decade. ;p

...Not sure if this is such an extremely relevant bit of my post tbh.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanna know what MMORPG you've been playing for three decades...
Couple of very old text based games I have been playing since the Com 64 days that have quite a few people still following and playing them :) While not the Graphic it could be argued they were some of the first MMORPGs. Some of the RTS Games like Lords of Magic, Baldurs Gate etc while not true MMORPGs really set the stage for the Graphic feel and Concept of what came after and the multi player option while limited to a party proved that a Static world with good graphics was workable. So in one perspective the earliest MMORPGs while not what we think of as MMORPG today have been around since the 80s and a few of them that were around then are still around and being played today.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO devteam does pretty much what devteams of games under active development are expected to do, and people rage quit over it.

I'm personally not madly in love with the notion that everything about UO skill/template baance should always remain more stagnant and still than tectonic plates.

People keep snarling about POKEMON ONLINE LUL as if it were some gigantic insult. You know what? Pokemon was, and remains, extremely popular for a reason; it is a killer concept. Find powerful creatures, tame them. Train them. Fight with them. People love taking these steps. It is a game mechanic that appears so appealing for a huge amount of people. It happens so there is much potential depth and room for growth for such in UO too. Small wonder devs want to explore such path.

Taming hasn't been extremely viable or popular in pvp in 20 years. Now it gets it's place under sun and people rage. Magery has been the flavor of the month for 200 months now. Tis alright to try somethbing else.
Bottom line is most people love the new pet system and are having a lot of fun with it. A handful of people are not. I have seen more people on and doing things in game than I have in a lot of years. Looked at my old guild roster and 6 people who had not logged in since 2010 have been logging in pretty regularly over the last Month. Have been on the same time as 4 of them and they are back because of the pets. So if more people are logging on and playing more and more regularly, PvP might be dying but PvP has been dying a slow death for a long long time but the gains to returning players, subs and revenue has to be greater than than what is being lost. If that is the case it would be foolish to break what is working to appease a very small segment of the population. If the call for NERFs would end at PvP no one would care, but historically PvPrs get one thing NERFed and then move onto the next thing and the next until a skill or template is *Fixed* into being useless. THAT is what us poor ignorant trammies are concerned about and what we are already seeing. LOL THE OP Phoenix ruining PvP they Nerfed it and no it did not effect PvM, but going by history and what is already happening the crying for nerfs won't end until a few are happy and a lot more stop playing once again. A cycle that has been repeating over and over for a very long time. LOL Pets are not OP they are however competitive now and there in lays the source of some folks problem.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL Pets are not OP they are however competitive now and there in lays the source of some folks problem.
Due to the lack of skill of most pvpers today, relying on outside sources for help. Id have to say that pets are more competitive to fight then other players. HAHAHA

However this pet patch was still not done right, Not every pet in the game should be able to be made a tank. I mean how silly does it look watching a blue beetle, that only carried extra weight in UO for 18 years, become a greater dragon or better. I do think pets needed a upgrade but not to this extent, its completely ridiculous. I don't think AOE spells should even be allowed on pets for any reason. There is no pvm encounter that its useful in. In pvm also you only need high phys and fire, raising other resists is basically useless. I mean someone could buy a npc cat and give it 600 strength, how stupid can it be.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Due to the lack of skill of most pvpers today, relying on outside sources for help. Id have to say that pets are more competitive to fight then other players. HAHAHA

However this pet patch was still not done right, Not every pet in the game should be able to be made a tank. I mean how silly does it look watching a blue beetle, that only carried extra weight in UO for 18 years, become a greater dragon or better. I do think pets needed a upgrade but not to this extent, its completely ridiculous. I don't think AOE spells should even be allowed on pets for any reason. There is no pvm encounter that its useful in. In pvm also you only need high phys and fire, raising other resists is basically useless. I mean someone could buy a npc cat and give it 600 strength, how stupid can it be.
Agreed the beetles and several others should not be top tier pets. the AOE does have a lot of practical PvM uses Champ Spawns being one, or any place there is heavy spawn, Personally I love the explosive goo when farming abyss resources and upping to the renowned mini bosses, the tram spawns, and also handy in some of the ML dungeons. Resist... same there is a pretty wide spread of damage types, all four 80s probably a bit over the top, A lot of what I fight does high poison damage. I could see cutting the resist points to where at most you could have 3 resist in the 80s and two in the 40-50 range, leaving the vulnerable to PvP and PvM critters they are not designed to fight. The spec abilities I really don't see as balanced in conjunction with AOE and Spec moves take a beetle with rune corruption and armor ignore when the rune corruption goes off followed by a string of armor ignore is devastating fortunately that the RC and a string of AIs does not go off in that way often. Most pets damage type is phys. Some exceptions but you know the damage type based on the pet type. No pet should have higher than 120 resisting spells period. I am even cool with all dex and stam being capped at 150, the argument that pvms need it so their pets can keep up running to a dungeon end..... BS if its a 5 slot you are running on foot or flying as a garg and your pet is standing outside the stable waiting for you to log out and in at the destination. Better solution just let the pet summoning balls work everywehre and cap the dex. Dismount Yep it needed fixed and It would thrill me to death if Stygian Drakes, Mares and Serp Dragons did not teleport at all........ Personal pet peeve of mine is they teleport on to the pirate ships as soon as a pirate or orc on a unscuttled ship aggros. And if not through the first round of training get quickly whacked. Teleport, 190 Dex, dismount, mortal strike and some of the other spec moves should be taken out of the PvP side. Armor ignore should be capped in PvP, Pet base damage should be capped in PvP. The debuff for pets hits and resist in PvP idea has some merit.

The real problem here is they kept making PvM encounters with more and more HP and Tougher and tougher and the entire tamer class was left in the dust, other than GDs and the occasion half way decent turtle. Even then the GDs were really only useful as meat shields and delivered very little damage in comparison to the templates they were tanking for. Virtually every other pet was worthless except for dreads and in some encounters a Mare RB Combo and you just took for granted that a lot of time would be spent rezing them. Honestly a 120 Mystic Focus or Imbue template dropping RCs was more potent in PvM than GDs. Another part of the problem is it often seems the devs don't see the fine line between breaking something and tweaking something.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

To a point I agree with you however, you as a pvper know that whatever is most powerful is going to be used. This is proven by the fact that before this publish most tamers would be using a greater dragon. Why? Because it was the best pet. Diversity of pets was something that was needed. So a blue bug can kick some butt now. It's just a different set of pixels.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all honesty I don't think any PvMr would care if they cut pet damage by 75% and increased player damage by 150% to pets in PvP so long as it stayed in the realm of PvP.
Some in this thread apparently care, but only philosophically, because they don't even pvp.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In all honesty I don't think any PvMr would care if they cut pet damage by 75% and increased player damage by 150% to pets in PvP so long as it stayed in the realm of PvP.
Sure some of us PvM'rs would. One of the reasons for the Pet Revamp was to make pets viable across the board again, including in PvP. Nerfing with those numbers would put pets back to about where they were. But that does not mean we can't find "common ground" on the numbers.

But.. after playing around in game a few days there are some changes in my personal thinking on pets in PvP (only)... not that it matters much *shrugs*...

1 - 5 slot pets should not be mountable in Fel - dunno how they would code that but not my problem lol. Heck I would even look at maybe making that apply to 4 slot pets as well. Even UOA lets you set a macro to insta mount and insta dismount/hit target macro to keep up with someone running flat out. The whole premise on having 5 slot pets in PvP when they hit initially was that you could not mount them and had to wait on your pet some. With mountable 5 slotters that falls by the wayside.

2 - Dismount on pets should have a fail rate as well - seems it seldom misses.

3 - Casting on pets should be 2/6 - some of them you have no chance as fast as they cast.

4 - Special moves should have a cool down timer

of course all of these are in addition to the ones I listed on the first page as well. The main one being that the Devs create a new slayer type... "Pet Slayer"... no need for PvP'ers to be mandated to carry 10 different slayers and having to switch them out in battle for whatever pet happens to be attacking them that second.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure we would... when we do go to fel we'd like to have some hope in hell of defending ourselves and not being 100% crippled like we have been.
You would have a chance to defend yourself if you bothered to practice pvp, instead you choose to be a sitting duck and hope no one shows up to kill you. which is fine, a lot of people do that, and they still seem to manage fairly well.

I can tell you, making pets overpowered isn't going to change your success chances, especially not when the Pvpers are going to have an overpowered pet with them in addition to the rest of their already capable template.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You would have a chance to defend yourself if you bothered to practice pvp, instead you choose to be a sitting duck and hope no one shows up to kill you. which is fine, a lot of people do that, and they still seem to manage fairly well.

I can tell you, making pets overpowered isn't going to change your success chances, especially not when the Pvpers are going to have an overpowered pet with them in addition to the rest of their already capable template.
This ^

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Funny how ppl want to be proficient at pvp without ever practicing it. That is not how things work.
It ain't like the stuff is rocket science... it's only a video game *shrugs*.. so it's pretty simple for folks to understand. It only takes a couple days of playing around to understand the basics of it and realize that some changes need to be made.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure we would... when we do go to fel we'd like to have some hope in hell of defending ourselves and not being 100% crippled like we have been.
UO has always been a fairly easy game to defend oneself in. While I don't play much anymore, and I'm out of practice, I know that five minutes of preparation makes a PvM char last a heck of a lot longer whne getting raided vs not. Some pots, a well thought out collection of weapons, knowing where you are and what might be a good defensive spot, USING VENT as a team etc go a long way to make the game better. Yes you are going to lose and die but you will win here and there, make friends and soon enough get invited to raid others. Next thing you know you are posting on Stratics in defense of the nasty PvP types and wondering how this happened, or you can be the poor sheep you keep comparing yourself to.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I haven't actually seen any tamers pvping on Europa yet
I have chars on most north American shards, and I don't see many fully built PvP Tamers outside of ATL. Couple on great lakes and Pacific. It's still new tho too, and the gold to do it is on ATL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UO has always been a fairly easy game to defend oneself in. While I don't play much anymore, and I'm out of practice, I know that five minutes of preparation makes a PvM char last a heck of a lot longer whne getting raided vs not. Some pots, a well thought out collection of weapons, knowing where you are and what might be a good defensive spot, USING VENT as a team etc go a long way to make the game better. Yes you are going to lose and die but you will win here and there, make friends and soon enough get invited to raid others. Next thing you know you are posting on Stratics in defense of the nasty PvP types and wondering how this happened, or you can be the poor sheep you keep comparing yourself to.
Wouldn't do me any good using Vent... No one in it... Though I use Discord Gave up Vent ages ago... Along with ICQ/Trillian and Skype... Liberating... Now I pretty much only use Discord. 1 application to have open... yet it does the work of all others.

As for being defensive... Usually by the time I notice the Red or two... I'm mostly dead anyway... There is no defense about it. They pop out of no where and I'm dead in an instant because whatever they use I can't even move my client is lagged so bad. And no I'm not paralyzed... And that's the way it typically is with the particular reds I have to deal with... and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of cheat that they use to pretty much cause other folk to lag... I just know when they show up I suddenly can not move or am forced to do the 2 step. Instantly lagged out and unable to move/barely move... though normally if I'm with folk who have a look out I prepare to make a hasty retreat... I'll often sacrifice my pet Though if my pet is actually doing well against whomever it is I'll help it... but that almost never happens... generally especially with a GD that is slower than molasses in winter... the Red can outrun it in mere nanoseconds and it's no more than a tiny speedbump... but should the dragon manage to actually use something useful like a good combo or something I can then finish off the person. But again that's a rare day in hades... and I'm better of just beatting a hasty retreat with a lot of invising and being patient for the Reds to be looking where I'm not... But it then means that I've wasted whatever time attempting to do a spawn and I can just forget it and go home for the night because they have sniffed someone out there and will be on their high having missed an easy target and knowing someone tried to do a spawn so no sense trying to do anything for a week or two till they quit sniffing about all the time and get bored and go back to whatever yew gate BS they usually do acting like a bunch of Roosters in a Hen House bragging about how awesome they are compared to everyone else...

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't do me any good using Vent... No one in it... Though I use Discord Gave up Vent ages ago... Along with ICQ/Trillian and Skype... Liberating... Now I pretty much only use Discord. 1 application to have open... yet it does the work of all others.

As for being defensive... Usually by the time I notice the Red or two... I'm mostly dead anyway... There is no defense about it. They pop out of no where and I'm dead in an instant because whatever they use I can't even move my client is lagged so bad. And no I'm not paralyzed... And that's the way it typically is with the particular reds I have to deal with... and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of cheat that they use to pretty much cause other folk to lag... I just know when they show up I suddenly can not move or am forced to do the 2 step. Instantly lagged out and unable to move/barely move... though normally if I'm with folk who have a look out I prepare to make a hasty retreat... I'll often sacrifice my pet Though if my pet is actually doing well against whomever it is I'll help it... but that almost never happens... generally especially with a GD that is slower than molasses in winter... the Red can outrun it in mere nanoseconds and it's no more than a tiny speedbump... but should the dragon manage to actually use something useful like a good combo or something I can then finish off the person. But again that's a rare day in hades... and I'm better of just beatting a hasty retreat with a lot of invising and being patient for the Reds to be looking where I'm not... But it then means that I've wasted whatever time attempting to do a spawn and I can just forget it and go home for the night because they have sniffed someone out there and will be on their high having missed an easy target and knowing someone tried to do a spawn so no sense trying to do anything for a week or two till they quit sniffing about all the time and get bored and go back to whatever yew gate BS they usually do acting like a bunch of Roosters in a Hen House bragging about how awesome they are compared to everyone else...
I've been pvping a long time, I've never even thought about someone using a program to lag me out. This is just something I've never seen or experienced, it seems only people to believe this exists are complete trammies who don't even pvp. Stop making excuses as to why you died. Seems to me your just not very good at pvp on this game, so you need to make some sort of excuse to make yourself feel better.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

I think part of it is the cookie cutter templates for PvM. Everyone is running a Sampire or PvM tamer these days for higher end monster farming. I understand why, they have good survival ability and aren't overly complex to use. How ever I don't believe either of these templates are any good in a PvP arena without being set up for that purpose. I haven't done a spawn in a few years, but I do remember quite well that when I stopped taking my Sammy and started taking my Lumberjack my survival rate when we were raided went up considerably. Partly I think it is because it was a template so little used and come across by the raiders that it isn't considered when people make suits, but also because the way I have to play the character required me to focus more on healing etc. than relying on leeches so my hot keys, macros, etc. In other words even without practice fighting others, I was better prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.