• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Security Breach chez Alcestis

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree.
Hehe, well I don't mean pkers go around pking people in real life thats for sure, and that players who break into homes in UO actually break into homes in real life. That's a bit extreme, but I believe the way players express themselves on these boards is mostly likely the way they act in real life to others. Their was a bit of sarcasium thier on the original post and sorry if I offended anyone :bowdown:.

T

Tior

As a further note, I would venture to guese that the way a player in UO acts, reacts, respects others etc in the game is a reflection of how they act, react, and respect others in real life. Kinda makes you wonder about certain individuals who have posted on this particular post must be like in real life. No names are needed but think about it, perhaps this is why we make sure all the doors are locked in our houses in real life.

hahahahahahahahahahahah

I just love to read this...crap..
I seen this kind of posts a gazillion of times on the forums since early 2000. Is it true, hell no. It cant be futher away from it.
It is sort of a protection the "good" guys make to say all who steal in a game is rude irl.
For example. I had one char that was pretty dissliked, named Talon (this is 3 years ago or so), I also had a forum account here with the name Tior (more years back). When I was posting or on Talon I often heard how mean I was and how I had to be IRL.

Then I had another char named Isaac Applebee (3 years ago, at the same time as Talon) who some people though was nice and some just stuck up :p

Also I had a crafter called Lad Stonebreaker (also one called Lodromir)
Both of them were very veryt friendly I never hesitaded a second to create armor from different metals for free and such like.

So 3 chars, 3 behaviors. One player
It is called roleplaying game ;) And the Tior (forum troll) was sort of a "roleplaying" as well as it was so much fun to cause drama. For what reason, non really more then it was fun. Do I like to cause drama irl, not really. Im a friendly guy

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can relate to that Tior, i am a roleplayer on Europa, all my 6 chars have different attitudes/backgrounds and personalities and i play them all differently and none of them reflect the person i am in real life apart from perhaps one of them slightly :)

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What does roleplaying have to do with stealing?

I thought a very important part of roleplaying was to have fun and to make sure those you interract with have fun aswell. That's why when people roleplay with swords in real life they don't actually hit eachother and the community I roleplayed with in UO didn't allow looting or stealing anything other then maybe a GM crafted weapon and some gems.

No, the kind of theft talked about in this thread has nothing at all to do with roleplaying an evil character. It's a lack of morals on the part of the player. And yes, I strongly believe your actions in-game are a reflection of your true personality. Even moreso then real life actions in some situations, since due to the (relative) anonimity of the internet there are little to no repercussions to your actions.

B

Black Betty

I can relate to that Tior, i am a roleplayer on Europa, all my 6 chars have different attitudes/backgrounds and personalities and i play them all differently and none of them reflect the person i am in real life apart from perhaps one of them slightly :)
If it is all just roleplaying and pixels, then why not just give me the double blessed outfit you wear that you worked to hard to get? Better yet, how about I just take it no matter what you think or how you feel?

Playing a thief is different than what has happened in this situation.

Example:

Someone that has posted on these boards named Dukarlo has had a thief on Great Lakes for MANY years. He happens to be one of the best thiefs I have ever dealt with. You would have to REALLY watch your backpack VERY closely after a champ spawn because suddenly a 120 scroll would disappear and so would he. Although frusterating at times, very funny.

Going into a person's home and looking for a bugged chest is a different story. One is malicious, the other isn't. It's about intent to harm, NOT just playing a character.:p

T

Tior

What does roleplaying have to do with stealing?

I thought a very important part of roleplaying was to have fun and to make sure those you interract with have fun aswell. That's why when people roleplay with swords in real life they don't actually hit eachother and the community I roleplayed with in UO didn't allow looting or stealing anything other then maybe a GM crafted weapon and some gems.

No, the kind of theft talked about in this thread has nothing at all to do with roleplaying an evil character. It's a lack of morals on the part of the player. And yes, I strongly believe your actions in-game are a reflection of your true personality. Even moreso then real life actions in some situations, since due to the (relative) anonimity of the internet there are little to no repercussions to your actions.

So if you steal ingame you steal irl you meen?
I guess you live in a box with flowers around you as well and in that box everyone thinks the same and do the same.
Let me tell you, outside that box people are different, and you know...I know this might come as a shock to you...in a game..they can do completly different things.. holy crap.
The things they do ingame dosnt have to be anywere close to what they do IRL as it is....different *gasp*
I dont know if I should tell you more as you might have to digest this first so you dont end up in a shock due to all the new information I just gave you.

:danceb:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well... Tior, the point Leto was making is not a one on one "thief ingame is thief IRL"... Just that ppl who have no moral objections to empty someones chests "just because the front door was open" might also be willing to do so IRL, yet IRL the step is somewhat harder to take. Still the same minds that have no trouble causing hurt to others!! They simply do not stand still at the consequences of their actions for their victims. Imagine how YOU would feel if it happened to you. Would you still do it then? That is the point we guess.
It is just easier to hide behind a char and cause grief. rolleyes:

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No no no i think you misunderstood me Sadie and Leto, my point was that the way some people play their character does not nesceccarily reflect what they are like IRL. I do not agree with the stealing part, i despise that, and alot of people who do not roleplay probaly reflect what they are like. Im just saying its not true in all cases especially with roleplayers. Sorry should of made my point a bit clearer, didnt mean to offend anyone. *sigh*

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tior, did you play UO in 2001-2002? Perhaps with chars such as Talon, Orin(or Oren), Phoebe and Talon ?

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMgooses you're Isaac and you didn't say hi to me?
*slaps*
I still have your PBD.

T

Tior

Well... Tior, the point Leto was making is not a one on one "thief ingame is thief IRL"... Just that ppl who have no moral objections to empty someones chests "just because the front door was open" might also be willing to do so IRL, yet IRL the step is somewhat harder to take. Still the same minds that have no trouble causing hurt to others!! They simply do not stand still at the consequences of their actions for their victims. Imagine how YOU would feel if it happened to you. Would you still do it then? That is the point we guess.
It is just easier to hide behind a char and cause grief. rolleyes:
Or...you grief just because it is a game. And still you would never do it IRL
Take my girlfriend for example, she was one of the biggest scammers on Europa
but IRL she would never do such a thing because she thinks it is wrong. But, the old saying "It is just a game" comes to my mind. And at least I and I know a many many more see the difference between the game and IRL.. I know what you will say as I heard it a gazillion of times "But it is a RL player behind it" "It takes RL time to get said item" and all the versions of that.

But yet, it is still a game. You can grind for said items for years, and still you dont own it. It is still EAs, so if they just feel they want to remove it they do. "Same" thing here, it is not about moral or ethics because they have nothing to do in a game. Morally I wouldnt kill someone either, but I do it in a game and loot thier armor they have worked so hard for (ok not now ofc because of Insurance). Is that morally wrong? Not really, it is a part of the game.
To mix in RL in a game is one of the most stupid things I know of, it has nothing to do with it what so ever. It is completly different worlds with completly different moral aspects. As it is obvious it is not morally wrong to slaughter someone. Thats ok.
It is not wrong to sneak up to someone and steal a item right out of thier bag., that is also ok
But for heaves sake, dont take a item that stands in a house. That is wrong in so many ways and it makes you have the moral intentions of perhaps even doing it IRL. You might not do it now, but you might do it someday. Because you took a item from someone...in a game! Holy moses.

How I would feel?
Hm, much like oh damn I forgot to lock those down (in this case) how stupid can I be
That is how I would feel, blaming myself and not the rest of the world. Because the fault is mine. And because I know if I saw a chest somewere that wasnt locked down I would take it as well.

So stop mixing in RL with the game and you will see it gets more easy I promise

OMgooses you're Isaac and you didn't say hi to me?
*slaps*
I still have your PBD.
Sowwwy!!! I didnt think you would remember me :D
Hiiiiiiii :bowdown:

Tior, did you play UO in 2001-2002? Perhaps with chars such as Talon, Orin(or Oren), Phoebe and Talon ?
I did play then but I never had chars with that name (except Talon). But then again people said I had chars I never had so who knows.

T

Tior

Yeah... really easy, "just a game"... :talktothehand:
Am I wrong then?

nothing in this game belongs to you, absolutly nothing. So therefore you spend loads of time getting something that isnt yours, and you can nevr claim it as yours as you signed a contract saying nothing in the game is yours.

So, if someone takes something that isnt yours that you spend time getting. Have you really lost anything else but the time you allready spent to get something you dont own?
Not really, you loose from the first minute you grind for that item as, stated above, you dont own it in the first place.

Hence, it is just a game

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If u insist on looking at it theoretically, you are right. But there are ppl involved, and feelings, and indeed, you mentioned it yourself, time. And morals, and lack of those... rolleyes:
It is clear there are plenty of players who do not trouble their conscience at all by greedily taking advantage of others misfortunes or mistakes, "because it's just a game to them"... Can't see it like that. Will ALWAYS see/imagine how the victim feels.
So no need to take this any further, cause it's also clear we have a completely different view on this matter (and could go in circles on and on and on... :sword: )

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is clear there are plenty of players who do not trouble their conscience at all by greedily taking advantage of others misfortunes or mistakes, "because it's just a game to them"... Can't see it like that. Will ALWAYS see/imagine how the victim feels.
I agree with Tabby.

As for You Tior, I can only hope I'll never have the misfortune of meeting you or your scammer girlfriend. *Spits on the floor*

T

Tior

If u insist on looking at it theoretically, you are right. But there are ppl involved, and feelings, and indeed, you mentioned it yourself, time. And morals, and lack of those... rolleyes:
So no need to take this any further, cause it's also clear we have a completely different view on this matter (and could go in circles on and on and on... :sword: )
Of course people see things differently. That makes it all fun. Wouldnt be much of a disscussion if we thought them same would it :D

But yet, we wont get anywere with this I can agree to that so...

:danceb:

Dacing Broccoli

I agree with Tabby.

As for You Tior, I can only hope I'll never have the misfortune of meeting you or your scammer girlfriend. *Spits on the floor*
You probably have allready, you wouldnt know it unless I wanted you to ;)

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is the legal uk definition of theft.
to dishonestly appropriate, property belonging to another. with the intent to permanently deprive sec1-6 of the theft act.
the dishonestly appropriate test is that did the taker believe they had permission to take the stuf. i would say no in this case. was the intention to permanently deprive? again i would say yes as it was on a vendor for sale.
the case for the prosecution rests