• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Security Breach chez Alcestis

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Everybody,

Apparently someone has access to one of my accounts and.. .Well made quite a strange choice when stealing some crap during the past week or so I'd estimate.

Anywayz, if someone would see a player who suddenly owns:
- about 250 whispering roses
- about 300+ PoF
- about 200 very recognizable armor parts with the name ALCESTIS on em

please let me know ;)

I have *NEVER* sold a single part of my Alcestis-made armor, so if you see anyone wearing any of it *grumbles* kick em in the nuts for me!

Any information welcome :)

Greetings,

Alcestis

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
main thing is they didnt distroy youre account..i have heard of people getting all there chars deleted aswell.. Never the less its still a Dog Poo thing to have been done to you.

I will keep my eyes open in the PvP comunity :eyes:

T

Teddington

Very strange choice of things to take, all very traceable (bar the POF), I'm sure your account has one or 2 more interesting things that would have tempted the hacker.

Could there be a chance that someone has access to some chests at your place rather than someone actually accessing your account. As I am sure any Europa player will have heard of you, and any hacker would have stipped the account for everything it's worth, rather than picking what ammounts to minor / unsellable(or wearable) items?

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That does sounds more like a security breach on one of your containers than the account.

Hope you figure it out.

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well yes indeed, about 8 containers suddenly were "Security: Anyone".
However, I am 300% sure i did not touch these containers. I hardly ever go to the museum, and when I do its on a char that doesnt have these powers.

It's really confusing.

If someone had account access, indeed it was VERY strange they wouldnt pick gold or rares or whatever.
But... how other than by having access to an account can container security be changed?

Anyone heard of a bug perhaps?
It was only secure containers that were completely visible without circle trans that were affected.

Also my double blessed jester hat crafted by princess of jesters went missing AGAIN. But that happened a few weeks back as well and it then magically re-appeared.

*confused*

L

Lady_Mina

well...

"Let's not forget that NASA is on a somewhat higher level than your UO account either."

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why quote me when I still have the same opinion about this absurdity of someone hacking me through ICQ?

Anyhow, the goods have been found. IN LUNA!

A vendor with POF, my roses and a piece of my armor (ok apparently only but, but i seriously never ever sold a single piece of it except 1 pair of legs to a friend).
I have a full word file with the name of ALL my roses and yup, it's them alright.

So... If Hermione or whoever owns the vendors would perhaps be able to inform me as to how exactly they got my stuff and perhaps just sell me all my roses back?
They were part of a collection i worked on for many years.

And yeah i know i'm probably not to raise a finger, but tbh... It's not cause you find a car with the key still on it, that driving away with it suddenly isn't stealing anymore.

If anyone already bought roses off these vendors (85k each) please let me know, i am willing to buy them back at 125k each.

Thx,

Alc

P.S.: Lol... another funny detail.
The other armor on the vendor is made by "An Ancient Dwarf".
On 18/7 this character made a post on my message board "You have a nice house".
I guess that's when it happened then.

L

Lord Uo

Hi Alectis.

to clear things up for you is pretty simple.

When running around scouting idoc´s we came across your lovely house.

A lovely house like this cant be left unchecked.
first of. 4 chests at 1 level was set to anyone. they was holding alot of powder of fortifying.

After that discovery, the rest of the house was needed to be check also.

second floor had 3 containers with armour pieces, and 2 red velvet box had 125 roses each.

your fault you dont check chests when locked down. not ours. and just as idocs. what you find you keep.

None here hacked your icq. none here used bugs to loot your stuff...
you made all the errors. and i doubt there is many that dosent loot stuff if they find it. and that is not even illegal.

i dont know about the roses. some are sold i gues. some is left.
i dont really care about them. you can buy of thoese i got. no biggie.

just next time make sure your house is proberly secured.

Sign.

oh yes. i am an ancient dwarf.

L

Lord Uo

and for the record.

you proberly have alot more stuff that was worth taking instead of the things that was left to take.

so be glad that you now double check everytime to lock things down.

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bought a bunch of roses back from Lord UO by now. Thx.

I understand what you did is not illegal. I never claimed it was either.
But there's a difference between illegal and decent.
If you took the time to write "hey lovely house" on my boards, you could have added "btw, fix your security - i just ran off with all your stuff" !

If you are so convinced of the fact that what you did was "okay" then why did you not mention it? Why not contact me to let me know about this for future reference? :/

Regardless of whether or not you consider this to be my fault.

Well, I'll be glad as long as i can get my roses back. Rest was pretty much meaningless anyway.

L

Lord Uo

Well problem solved.

only thing left is. the girl who rent a vendor at your house. hasent stolen anything from you..

she just happens to know me and saw my house at your post. from that i responded to you.

but like i said ingame. i talk to my buddies. ask if they have more roses left. and then i tell my friend so she can tell you.

E

envinyatar

Its funny. Last night someone in my guild's Vent chat was saying how pointless it was to lock your doors in Trammel... guess that just proved him wrong.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi I'm glad you were able to purchase back some of your items that were recently lost to other players.
I think that the players on the boards tend to over react at times, from the very start Alcestis sounded concerned and asking for others to be on the look out for some of her items. Thus at the same time warning other players that thier might be a problem in the game of UO (ala some new exploit),and to be on the look out . Thus if your concerned perhaps locking up your house would be a prudent idea, (she did not come out with those exact words but still its a warning non the less).
I like to think that Europa, is one of those rare shards that tends to bring out the best of players here, rather then belittle them. I'm sure Alcestis will be more carefull in the future, and this serves as a good warning for all players to check thier settings on thier secure boxs. I know I did after reading this report, its an easy mistake to make, but just as easy to have them checked.
Cheers!
Rip.

F

feath

when you secure a container, it automatically puts an 'owner only' security on it. to put something to 'anyone' you have to manually place that security. i don't see alc making that mistake.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I just remind everyone that name-calling is a personal attack and against RoC please?

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you secure a container, it automatically puts an 'owner only' security on it. to put something to 'anyone' you have to manually place that security. i don't see alc making that mistake.
Were all prone to mistakes in the game, wether its placing an item on a vendor for 3gp and it should have been alot more. The 3 gp being the assigned price given by the NPC. I just recently realised that the blue spell book (I foreget the name its a turn in reward item it adds +15 to magery i think its called book of knowledge), was not blessed and I had never insured thinking it was. I thought opps another bug only to relase I never really checked to see if it was blessed. No big deal really I just bought another one, and I have been playing this game err since late 1997. I still make plenty of mistakes it's whats makes us human (well at least most of us).:shots:

L

Lady_Mina

double whopper with cheese happens if you put your containers on 'anyone' :)

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Apparently you care enough to lie about them?

You tell me you sold me back all you have and just 1 day later you're stocking roses again on your vendor and yup they're still mine. Bought another 10 off you since yesterday evening.

If there's more, plz contact me on ICQ 38970131.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At a guess these containers should have been 'locked down' 'anyone' so that people could look but not touch. Instead they were accidentally set 'secure' 'anyone'. Unfortunate that an opportunist thief found them rather than someone more honest.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, looks like house thieves are still around! *hides door key under spellbook*

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually no petra, it was never the idea to lock them to display.
No need to display 300 PoF now is there ;)

Point is, I did not thouch these boxes in... YEARS. I am 300% sure i did not make this mistake.
For one box? sure For 2? Sure still, why not. 3 even!
But 8 boxes spread over 2 levels in my house? Nope i'm simply not that stupid!

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually no petra, it was never the idea to lock them to display.
No need to display 300 PoF now is there ;)

Point is, I did not thouch these boxes in... YEARS. I am 300% sure i did not make this mistake.
Very strange really, I mean I have heard of no other players on the boards having similar problems. If you hear anymore as to what might have happened please keep us posted and perhaps email Jeremy to this issue.:popcorn:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very strange.

I wonder if it's somehow related to the change they've made in locked down boxes though? Maybe they triggered a bug?

L

Lord Uo

Apparently you care enough to lie about them?

You tell me you sold me back all you have and just 1 day later you're stocking roses again on your vendor and yup they're still mine. Bought another 10 off you since yesterday evening.

If there's more, plz contact me on ICQ 38970131.
Not my Vendor selling. but my friends who is on vacation. he proberly told his buddy to restock. but again you come to wrong accusations.

and for the point in you keep on telling everyone you didnt set chests to anyone.

is like a 5 year old kid who forget to close the garden door. and the dog ran out. NO father i closed it. maybe the dog unlocked it. or somebody did it, cause they needed a new dog.

Grow up. accept you did wrong. and get on with it.

L

Lord Uo

and to everybody else.

There is no bug out that do stuff to boxes. he simply cant accept he make a terrible error in the game.

and then after he was standing in my house and said. that he would write to a guy if he found a secured box that was set to anyone.

if he found a box in a house filled with Artis, set to anyone. he ripped that off in a heartbeat.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Alcestis makes a very good point here. If it had been just the one chest I would think it to be a mistake on Alcestis' part but 8 chests? I would much sooner suspect a bug of some kind then her making the same mistake 8 times.
Also, I think Alcestis is taking this really well; she's more concerned about a bug then upset about the loss while the loss is conciderable. She's even offering to buy back the items she lost rather then cuss out the thief. That sounds more like acceptance then immaturity to me.

if he found a box in a house filled with Artis, set to anyone. he ripped that off in a heartbeat.
All I can say to this is: Don't measure other people just by your own standards.

No Sir, what you did was in bad taste and no amount of spin can right that. Gloating, like you are in this thread, is in even worse taste. .

S

Soulstomp

i think Alc is blaming others for her own mistake , even people that helped her she is calling thiefes , chez alc security breach or just your own fault ,

K

Kiminality

There is no bug out that do stuff to boxes.
You can't actually know that, tbh.
I'd bet the devs have a list of bugs considerably longer than your arm, and there's probably a pretty long list of bugs they don't know about. Which begs the question of how you can state categorically that there is no bug fitting the description.

I guess you could be reading the talk of a bug as being an accusation of some sort, thus prompting an irrational defensive, but none of that's happening here.

You are, however, being rather unpleasant.
The attitude of your posts is abrasive and self-righteous, which isn't going to earn you many points, hereabouts.

Just for the record, also.
I could name dozens of people who wouldn't have looted unsecured containers.
The list of those who wouldn't even look for containers to loot from is even longer.
Not everyone is out to make a profit, by any means.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you could be reading the talk of a bug as being an accusation of some sort, thus prompting an irrational defensive, but none of that's happening here.
I just thought the same thing.

To make things clear: I, or anybody else in this thread far as I can tell, am not accusing Lord UO of having actively used an exploit to gain access to those chests. Rather he took advantage of Alcestis' misfortune. The misfortune of being subjected to a bug that somehow changed the security setting on those chests.
The former would be a bannable offence while the latter is 'just' morally objectionable.

As fas as the bug is concerned, I agree you can't categorically rule it out. I never believed in the 'insurance bug' and discarded it as player-error. But only recently we had a patch that included a possible fix for this very problem, so apparently it does exist. And that's just one example of strange happenings in the game's code.
Also, I know enough about programming to know you can't ever account for every eventuality and code can behave in unexpected ways sometimes.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Very improper indeed to take instead of to mention... Agree for 100% with what Kimi said, and Leto.
We know we would never have grabbed all the stuff, made such a mistake once and still regret it. Took a bag with a skeleton statue from a room in the Wayfarer's Inn, deciding in a split second, "Oh wow, cool!! So Lucky!!" Skeletons being one of our fave critters in the game... But then realised how the person logging in to find nothing there must have felt... Spend the rest of the week writing msgs on the Wayfarer's Inn message board but to no avail. No one contacted us abt it. In the end gave the statue to a friend, hoping our conscience could forget it, but it's still here, roughly 7 years later...

Alcestis, good luck in getting back your roses!! And could you please tell what type(s?) of box(es) got the wrong access level? Or did it seem randomn?

Sterkte!!

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They were wooden boxes & velvet boxes. No logic in there :)

Anywayz, I filed a bug report some days ago, so let's just consider this case closed for now!

At least I got some good advertising out of this for my museum and the fact i'm buying roses *Grins*

S

Soulstomp

So all fixed you had your advertising , for chez Stien Bakjood, and acused/pointed out a few people of using/exploits bugs, and even called people that tried to help you get your things back naming Thiefs Grats !!

L

Lord Uo

is so funny ..so many really shiny knights are posting in here.

you all full of crap. but hey. is more easy to write something that polish your glory.

but im done with this post. cause frankly. you aint worth the time.

S

Soulstomp

i think you totaly right about the holy board knights, i see it as this after such a long time and setting a house from private to public back and forward prolly to deco , you can miss a few chests bags boxes etc that where set to public mayby , even if not lets say it was a uo bug so what ,, but even lets say it was a holywood scam neg advertising about a Chez stien bakjood breach, gives you advertising for your museum,, made me frown cos ala what would you care about the few things that where in the boxes etc ,

funny thing was you even said that about the advertising hehe
this whole thread is the best ever ive seen on the europa boards keep it going Stien, about the rest of the people that aplied good work guys suporting stien , i do suport uo lord , not cos i say he did totaly right but more cos Stien Bakjood called a good friend of mine that tried to help her getting her stuff back , making contacts , and just called her a Thief, for that , thats your true Nature Alc/Stien Grats !! and for leto ala hes always suporting Alc no matter what way or what happend,, mayby try to form your own opinion one day in Space

K

Kiminality

is so funny ..so many really shiny knights are posting in here.

you all full of crap. but hey. is more easy to write something that polish your glory.

but im done with this post. cause frankly. you aint worth the time.
It's your loss, if you've never experienced the kindness of some of the players on Europa.
I hope, some day, you do. Although, after your attacks on people who have honestly stated that they wouldn't do as you did, you don't deserve it.

Simply, some people value the connections that exist between people as more important than the acquisition of pixels.
If nothing else, it's a game. If you get your fun at the expense of unwilling players, then I'm not going to say you're "wrong", so much as "not morally justified".
But, hey. Whatever floats your boat.

@Soulstomp: Read.
No one has accused anyone of using bugs or exploits.
You're trying to make things more dramatic than they need be, and now I think about it, only posting in here to snipe at Alc.
What'd she do to upset you, then?

S

Soulstomp

kimi your boardpost counts again increased by 1 post as i said a friend of mine that helped getting Stien in to contact was called a Thief by her as reward for Helping,, nice no ? cos thats the True Alc/Stien try and read next time and not increase your posts with useless questions

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right.

When i went to Lord UO for my roses he said:
" My friend Kat was with me. I will ask her to contact you about the other roses".
Which, as far as I'm concerned, means - She was with me the day we cleaned your house, i'll ask her to contact you if she has any more roses.

Apparently however he meant: " I have a friend named Kat who knows you so I'll ask her to contact you if i find any more friends of mine with roses."

Sorry, but you can't blame me for somebody elses bad English.

I already apologised to Kat for the misunderstanding, so it is beyond me why you want to drag any of this in here.

Oh and... Jezus christ the advertising bit was a joke. *Rolls eyes*

K

Kiminality

kimi your boardpost counts again increased by 1 post as i said a friend of mine that helped getting Stien in to contact was called a Thief by her as reward for Helping,, nice no ? cos thats the True Alc/Stien try and read next time and not increase your posts with useless questions
What does post-count have to do with anything?

I simply corrected that you stated there were accusations of people using exploits/bugs.
Incorrect at best, an outright lie at worst.

Besides, the question was only a part of the post. If I really cared about post-count, I'd have:
1.) Made a separate post to respond to you.
2.) Had my account post-count credited with number of posts from before the DB loss.
Attempting to put down my post with the "+post-count" line is weak. Try harder, or give up.

B

Black Betty

I think alot of people forget this is a game sometimes :)
While, for the most part is true, the fact of the matter is, people actually put in a lot of time and effort to earn things in game. Time is a part of your life, no matter how much you try to get around that fact. There are people that are just more passionate than others and are more involved, but none-the-less still take their own time to work for items.

I, for one, work hard for what I have whether in-game or real life. It's just the way I'm wired. Things taken/stolen from me in-game would still bother me the same as real life.

*shrugs*

I'm more puzzled that anyone would take the time to check chests to take items. I find it near impossible to believe that Alc would make a mistake on 8 chests, especially because they were never used for anything but her own storage.

Well, that was way more than my two-cents! lol :lick:

Sadie aka Black Betty

J

jack flash

to LordUO (i hope i dont know you, not the sort of thing idocs raiders i like on europa do, )

well, i am an idoc raider, hopefuly quite well known (on holiday at the mo
)

simple thing is, if i was at gwens house, or any house i would inform the owner

a falling idoc is a neglected,or not wanted house, fair game

a house with securtiy issues is not fair game

and in fact, my guild looted an idoc only to see Aladaria arrive to say it was her house and she made a mistake with her acct, as i plotted and we dragged everything in, it was ALL returned

now that is the DECENT thing to do

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
That is awesome Jack Flash! *Takes wide brim hat off in respect!*

If trying to be a decent player makes one a shiny knight, then I am proud to be one!!
And as for "supporting Alc", there have been plenty of threads where we were very much opposed to her point of view, but in here we can't but fully agree with her. We are all different players so can't agree on everything, but doesn't mean we can't agree on ANYthing.
If you have a nice collection going, and it gets wrecked like that, you'd be sick to the stomach as well!! Black Betty is sooo right, this loss isn't abt mere pixels, this is abt alllllllllllll the time that's put into gathering it and losing it to indecency... Time is so costly...

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a further note, I would venture to guese that the way a player in UO acts, reacts, respects others etc in the game is a reflection of how they act, react, and respect others in real life. Kinda makes you wonder about certain individuals who have posted on this particular post must be like in real life. No names are needed but think about it, perhaps this is why we make sure all the doors are locked in our houses in real life.

C

Coppelia

As a further note, I would venture to guese that the way a player in UO acts, reacts, respects others etc in the game is a reflection of how they act, react, and respect others in real life. Kinda makes you wonder about certain individuals who have posted on this particular post must be like in real life. No names are needed but think about it, perhaps this is why we make sure all the doors are locked in our houses in real life.
I disagree.