• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let's Ask Ledaye - Week Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In general what can you tell us about the Asgard?

Specifically will the actual Asgard be customizable for the sake of character uniqueness? Or will the Asgard all look the same as seen in the show?
They have energy-field-based armor (shielding).

As the Asgard don't wear clothing in the show and as they are physically frail and seem to lack the strength to carry many items how will the inventory for the Asgard work?
In my discussion with the show's creators, this is a limitation of their puppeteering, nothing else. In 'reality' they have warriors. In our game, the PC Asgard have drones which act as weapon platforms.

Besides ships and drones will the Asgard utilize any of their other technology that was seen in the show to use their abilities?
Such as?

Also related to their frailness will the Asgard be able to run and how would they do so? You simply never see it in the show and when I try and picture it in a game it looks like it has the potential to look clunky and silly.
It doesn't. They run.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I know about the story. Could you elaborate on innovative ranged combat with cover and ability-driven archetypes. If not lets go with ability-driven archetypes.

Thanks Ledaye
Please ask me a question instead of saying 'elaborate.' There is so much information out there in our own forums, and in videos easily found on the 'net, that talk about and show images of the ranged combat, that it's hard for me to know whether you want me to start from scratch and explain everything or just focus on some specific part. We have found that once you see it on screen and play it for even a few minutes, it is so different from anything you have ever seen that words don't do it justice.

Questions like 'what strategy do you use?' or 'what weapon works best?' or 'what does it feel like when you play?' would help me focus the discussion better. Try to find a video of the combat and zoom in on things in there that you didn't understand, for instance.

A

Asiak

Such as

• The time dilation technology (which would make for a very cool crowd control mechanic).
  • The holographic technology.
  • Their invisibility device.
  • The Asgard communication device that looks like a palm sized white stone.
  • Perhaps the white beam like that with which the Beliskner used to dispatch Her'ur's army.

And as I write this I wonder how will the Asgard beaming technology be put to use? Perhaps Asgard characters will be able to use it to teleport out of harms reach.

P

Psykeman420

another thought occured.

In the 2nd combat video I watched it has a bunch of little squares, most of them empty, what is the deal with their placement? Seemed to be kind of sporadic or are they all independently moveable amongst the ui?

M

MarkedOfKane

Will Jaffa players on either side be able to pick a forehead system lords tatoo? I think this would be a neat little thing especially for RPers. To be able to RP as a former, or current, warrior of <insert system lord here> and actually have the tatoo of the system lord on your forehead would be a nice little tid bit.

Also how many pets will the Gou'uld players be able to have? Will they be able to have both human slaves and Jaffa warriors will their pets and equipment be customizable?

F

Fargo_the_Hobbit

Will any classes other then the commando have any stealth abilities even if they are limited?

I ask this because other games (namely Age of Conan) have successfully given all classes very limited stealth abilities and then given rogue archetypes better stealth abilities. I also ask because both the Gou'uld and the Asgard posses some form of cloaking technology.

Also in SGW when you cloak in front of players who are neither grouped with you or hostile to you (through PvP) will you be completely invisible to those people like many games? Or will those people see you in a semi transparent faded out form like in World of Warcraft?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will any classes other then the commando have any stealth abilities even if they are limited?

I ask this because other games (namely Age of Conan) have successfully given all classes very limited stealth abilities and then given rogue archetypes better stealth abilities. I also ask because both the Gou'uld and the Asgard posses some form of cloaking technology.

Also in SGW when you cloak in front of players who are neither grouped with you or hostile to you (through PvP) will you be completely invisible to those people like many games? Or will those people see you in a semi transparent faded out form like in World of Warcraft?
No, only Commandos, but Archeologists get Disguise, which is similar.

Invisible.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will Jaffa players on either side be able to pick a forehead system lords tatoo? I think this would be a neat little thing especially for RPers. To be able to RP as a former, or current, warrior of <insert system lord here> and actually have the tatoo of the system lord on your forehead would be a nice little tid bit.

Also how many pets will the Gou'uld players be able to have? Will they be able to have both human slaves and Jaffa warriors will their pets and equipment be customizable?
Yes, at this time they will be able to pick their tatoo.

Goa'uld get a single pet, but different ones at different levels.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another thought occured.

In the 2nd combat video I watched it has a bunch of little squares, most of them empty, what is the deal with their placement? Seemed to be kind of sporadic or are they all independently moveable amongst the ui?
Each button (I am assuming you are talking about the buttons) is totally 100% customizable. You can change their position, group them, ungroup them, change their transparency, assign different key bindings to them, assign different abilities to them, etc.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Such as

• The time dilation technology (which would make for a very cool crowd control mechanic).
  • The holographic technology.
  • Their invisibility device.
  • The Asgard communication device that looks like a palm sized white stone.
  • Perhaps the white beam like that with which the Beliskner used to dispatch Her'ur's army.

And as I write this I wonder how will the Asgard beaming technology be put to use? Perhaps Asgard characters will be able to use it to teleport out of harms reach.
All of these things are used in the game except that communication device. They are not all used by the player, as many of them might unbalance things. For instance, they have abilities that make use of the time dilation idea in combat for crowd control, but obvious we don't REALLY dilate time.

The beaming technology is not used by an individual player, no.

Z

zirka

I noticed you mention that nobody considers playing Medal of Honor (multiplayer I guess) a grind and so I guess you assumed SGW will also not feel like a grind, ever. That's a pretty hefty assumption, claiming that there is an MMO out there that doesn't feel like a grind. Simply giving hide-behind-cover combat mechanics and a certain class playing the same mini-games (cause like you said with a certain class youll want to do certain mini-games more often) is probably not "adrenaline rush" enough to classify it in the same category as a first-person-shooter like Medal of Honor. Are you implying that I will always have to be on my toes and think about the situation I am in and react dynamically? I mean, is every battle, even against the same enemies, going to involve me making different decisions? Variability in the action is key to not feeling like a grind.

Q

Quette

What strategy do you use when you and a teammate are taking on a mob? Is the combat fast paced? I noticed in the vid(mmorpg) that one of the mobs was moving pretty fast on his flank moves, is that normal? What Tauri weapon works best, because in the vid(mmorpg.com) it looked like the P-90 did more damage than the jaffa staff weapon? What does it feel like when you play FPS, turned based? Also, is there more military looking lvl 50 armor besides the robot suit we saw(I don't mean any offense on the armor just not my speed).

S

ShadowPuppet

I know you don't like the word "elaborate" :D But, could you do some elaboration on the "team" structure of the game. (The permanant command-like mini-groups, the ones like your own SG-team)

Something like what kinds of stuff we can do with these teams, bonuses for being in a team, other features. Will there be a list of all of the teams in your command, with info like online status, level, archetype, location, ect? What about personalization, like a team logo/symbol?

I want to know stuff like that, but I don't know what you can tell as of now. Hope the description helped. :bowdown:

P

Psykeman420

I'm really excited about the game after seeing the combat videos :D

The news on the UI is great I love customizing a UI and have a couple questions on the issue.

1.) Will there be add-ons made by players (a la WoW)?
2.) Are there color options for the windows, IE turning the chat box red instead of blue?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed you mention that nobody considers playing Medal of Honor (multiplayer I guess) a grind and so I guess you assumed SGW will also not feel like a grind, ever. That's a pretty hefty assumption, claiming that there is an MMO out there that doesn't feel like a grind. Simply giving hide-behind-cover combat mechanics and a certain class playing the same mini-games (cause like you said with a certain class youll want to do certain mini-games more often) is probably not "adrenaline rush" enough to classify it in the same category as a first-person-shooter like Medal of Honor. Are you implying that I will always have to be on my toes and think about the situation I am in and react dynamically? I mean, is every battle, even against the same enemies, going to involve me making different decisions? Variability in the action is key to not feeling like a grind.
Okay, my point about the grind is this: we're trying to make assaulting a POI as fun as we can, and to use the mission structure / story to give the player a sense of purpose. I don't think we're gonna eliminate grind, but I hope we do. All I do know is the combat is fun all by itself, which is really all we can ask.

And yes, I can say with absolute truth that working your way through a POI is tense. On your toes, yes. Variability, yes. Each spawn can have one of three AI packages, and there is no way to know today which package a particular spawn has.

So you don't know whether the Lucian Addict with the automatic rifle behind the house is gonna rush you or stay behind cover.

You betcha.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What strategy do you use when you and a teammate are taking on a mob? Is the combat fast paced? I noticed in the vid(mmorpg) that one of the mobs was moving pretty fast on his flank moves, is that normal? What Tauri weapon works best, because in the vid(mmorpg.com) it looked like the P-90 did more damage than the jaffa staff weapon? What does it feel like when you play FPS, turned based? Also, is there more military looking lvl 50 armor besides the robot suit we saw(I don't mean any offense on the armor just not my speed).
Which mob and from what flank? And, if you've seen the vids, you might notice you almost always have more then one mob to fight. You have to keep on your toes because if you stop paying attention, you'll get burnt.

Yes, they move quickly.

Which weapon depends on the mob density, who your groupmates are, what abilities you are using, etc. The Jaffa staff weapon is VERY formidable, but has a lower fire rate.

I don't know what you mean when you say "you play FPS, turned based".

Most of the high-level armor is infused with alien tech. it's part of our story. As are the weapons.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really excited about the game after seeing the combat videos :D

The news on the UI is great I love customizing a UI and have a couple questions on the issue.

1.) Will there be add-ons made by players (a la WoW)?
2.) Are there color options for the windows, IE turning the chat box red instead of blue?
All the UI elements can be saved in a file which you can share.

At ship, the Ui color will not be modded by us but can be by you. We use graphic elements that you can create on your own.

O

Orias_Seven

Would you say the crafting system in SGW will be more a kin to World of Warcraft or Star Wars Galaxies?

I mean is the crafting going to just be collect 5 of X resources and 5 of Y resource put them int he crafting window, watch your character make a fidgity crafting animation and then out pops your item?

Will we be able to change / make an item better or worse though resource quality? Skill? Experimentation? Like say your crafting a staff weapon will you be able to go okay I wanna put points or whatever into how much damage the weapon will do as opposed to putting points into how fast it will fire? And perhaps have options as to how / where you wanna make the item good at the expense of other areas. (l ike SWG :) )

Will it actually be a crafting system where you have to go out and gather resources from a planet and then actually make the item or is it going to be mostly breaking down existing loot and then making that into a new item?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you don't like the word "elaborate" :D But, could you do some elaboration on the "team" structure of the game. (The permanant command-like mini-groups, the ones like your own SG-team)

Something like what kinds of stuff we can do with these teams, bonuses for being in a team, other features. Will there be a list of all of the teams in your command, with info like online status, level, archetype, location, ect? What about personalization, like a team logo/symbol?

I want to know stuff like that, but I don't know what you can tell as of now. Hope the description helped. :bowdown:
The design as of right now is:

Teams can create unique patches or symbols.
Teams gain their own chat channel.
Teams gain a uniform color.
Teams gain ranks based upon Team xp earned. Ranks unlock Team missions
and Team items.
Teams can purchase Team only items.
Teams can partake in Team only missions.

What will make ship is unknown at this time. Some of this I'm sure will be pushed off until after live.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you say the crafting system in SGW will be more a kin to World of Warcraft or Star Wars Galaxies?

I mean is the crafting going to just be collect 5 of X resources and 5 of Y resource put them int he crafting window, watch your character make a fidgity crafting animation and then out pops your item?

Will we be able to change / make an item better or worse though resource quality? Skill? Experimentation? Like say your crafting a staff weapon will you be able to go okay I wanna put points or whatever into how much damage the weapon will do as opposed to putting points into how fast it will fire? And perhaps have options as to how / where you wanna make the item good at the expense of other areas. (l ike SWG :) )

Will it actually be a crafting system where you have to go out and gather resources from a planet and then actually make the item or is it going to be mostly breaking down existing loot and then making that into a new item?
Our crafting system is being built in two distinct parts - the first part of crafting, available at launch, is closer what you would think of as "WoW Crafting." The post-launch section is something closer to what players loved/hated about Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system.

Our chief difference between most games' crafting systems and our own is that we provide MANY different ways to complete a given Blueprint. Instead of "copper sword = copper hilt + copper blade" ours would be more like this: "Item A = SubA + SubB + CompA" OR "Item A = 2 SubA + 2 CompA" OR "Item A = Sub D + RareCompA" or "Item A = 2 SubA + RareCompA."

The goal is to give the player a lot of freedom in how they want to gather components and build sub-combines. We want to avoid the "I want to build CoolItem and there is exactly one component that I have to search for for days to make it." While that is an important means of keeping players from making an infinite number of CoolItems, there are other ways to keep players from all having and desiring CoolItems.

In addition to this hyper-flexible blueprint system, the actual tech trees (known as Applied Sciences) are also open to players being able to tune their characters how they wish - you can learn disciplines in Bio-Medical Engineering, and, if you have the points available, can pick up some Power Systems Engineering and Materials Engineering as well. This is all part of a philosophy around the concept of making the player feel more like an innovator or inventor rather than as a blacksmith or item creator. The player is not making a pistol - there are factories for that. What you are doing is modifying a factory-standard pistol to make it more accurate, or give it energy damage, or any number of modifications you can imagine based on strange technologies you would find out in the game worlds.

The limiting factor for this flexibility come from the player being tied to a racial paradigm when they begin play - human players know and appreciate human technology, and can thus manipulate human items easily, while an Asgard would be baffled by firearms and their "primitive design." As the player progresses through the game, they reach a point where they begin to understand other paradigms and can begin working with other paradigms' technologies.

This is all part (and there's more, but this is getting long) of our launch crafting system. The plan post-launch is to add a layer of mini-games to crafting that highlight the "inventor" theme of our crafting system. This layer of mini-games also allow a player to manipulate and fine-tune items much better than the launch crafting system. A player can still make those items, but the mini-gamed crafting allows the crafter who wants to put time and craftsmanship into their items to do exactly that. The more effort the crafter puts in, the better the item becomes, to a theoretical (but unattainable) maximum.

What's cool about this as compared to Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system is this truly highlights the crafter as the maker of exceptional items, and the skill of the crafter rather than random factors out of his control. Instead of relying on high-quality resources which anyone can gather, the mini-games put the power into the hands of the crafter himself. A good crafter needs not worry about hunting for the "very best" resources, but instead upon having the most skill in crafting the items themselves!

S

SteveTheMachine

What kinds of weapons will Archaeologists be able to use? Pistols? Sub guns? Assault rifles?

Also, what are the Archaeologist skill trees?

I

Invisible01x

Me again *grins*

After the last 2 postings I have 2 questions:

Teams gain ranks based upon Team xp earned. Ranks unlock Team missions
and Team items.

Do I understand that right, that actually a Team that is long together, so staying in the same 'group', get's better advantages seen on a new build group/team?

I'm asking that since I know a free'to'play MMO where such a system was on - where you could get special powers for better item'drop and better exp when a group stayed long together - and well... I noticed for people who play parttime it was horrible since always starting from lvl1 made these 'extras' impossible to reach. That's why this question comes up in my mind when reading this, so maybe I just missunderstand the term 'Team' here and it's meant as 'Guild', where I understand more levels with better extras.

And second:
About the often told minigames.
What I know already is that there is the possibility to let other do your minigames, often told that *smiles*
But my question is:
What 'style' of minigames can we actually await, so you need more dexterity (like pressing the right key in the right moment) or more mind (thinking-games) or totally different than this?
And: If there are stats - actually I not read anything about that yet, are there actually stats you can increase yourself? - so they count into the minigames, like:
- You need a certain amount to actually start certain minigames
- Higher stats 'slows down' the speed in minigames, so you have more time to react or think about it (if there are timers for them at all)

Curious since I'm good in thinking'games but when it comes to dexterity I'm really horrible clumsy *smirks* So wondering how I have to think about 'minigames' at all, since I'm not even sure if I missunderstand the term in general and it's a totally different way.

Thanks for listening *bows*

S

SDNcN

Ignoring quests/missions: while we do a better job than most of evolving the universe based on the player's actions (a bombardment of a planet begins because of the player's actions) there are limits and conceits we have to maintain because the universe is shared and many, many players inhabit it. Example: in the first large instance, which takes place at the climax of Act I, the players accomplish a goal that has consequences for the rest of their game lives.
Would one of those consequences be bringing the Big Bad into the galaxy?
I'm asking because I remeber a comment about one of the two factions inviting the Big Bad then regretting it later.

Also will the Goa'uld and Asgard archetypes be able to preform some of the mini-games of the scientist archetype?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would one of those consequences be bringing the Big Bad into the galaxy?
I'm asking because I remeber a comment about one of the two factions inviting the Big Bad then regretting it later.

Also will the Goa'uld and Asgard archetypes be able to preform some of the mini-games of the scientist archetype?
Yes, the action MIGHT be that exactly.

Yes, Goa'uld and Asgard can play mini-games.

L

Lymph

Hi - ok as every 1 else has said ty, you deserve it nice to finally get feedback this strong from devs (for any game)!

Ok first question - do items have individual skins or do our characters gain a new armour skin as they progress down the 'main' story / timeline? and if they do have individual skins are we talking about standard slots e.g. cheat, legs, gloves, etc.

Second question - several images released of player characters show helmets, can we opt to be cool and not show them? (any hazmat gear not inclusive).

Third question - how much do I have to donate to charity to get an inv to your command? oh one who can tell a GM that they are wrong :bowdown:

Forth question - will there be any measures to prevent boosting? I ask this because several players (once including myself lvl 10 vs. lvl 6 boar I lost and realised something was wrong :blushing: ) get effectively hand raised by a friend this means that they advance to a high level without receiving the gradual build up of skills required to positively contribute.

Fifth question - on a scale of one to five, how close to sg-1 do you believe the game to be?
One being "well it has a star gate in it", and five "we're being paid to just copy and paste". (Both of which I would love to see so don't worry about pleasing me.)

Sixth question - why do I get the erg to remove the spiky bits from sporks then place them back in the pot? ;)

Seventh question - so far, which has been YOUR favourite archetypes story? (there independent story arc as they see different points of view)

Eighth question - earlier you mentioned that there we’re no dragon kills could you elaborate on this? Did you mean there are no single mobs where 10/25/40 characters go all out on? Where you simply stating that, there wasn't the same build of tank, healer and nuker, or did you mean that instead of a single mob you and your team must tackle a mountain of adds to defeat a boss.

Nineth question – BUFS, personally I hate them but u can't raid without em, seeing as how none of the footage or articles I have read has put any indication towards them. Can you explain any buff system you may have?

As a final note I really must say we can't thank you enough ledaye, it is amazing to finally have dev that will talk to the fans about the game not just give interviews to various journalists.
(anyone who didn’t get them 3 and 6 are jokes)

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi - ok as every 1 else has said ty, you deserve it nice to finally get feedback this strong from devs (for any game)!

Ok first question - do items have individual skins or do our characters gain a new armour skin as they progress down the 'main' story / timeline? and if they do have individual skins are we talking about standard slots e.g. cheat, legs, gloves, etc.

Second question - several images released of player characters show helmets, can we opt to be cool and not show them? (any hazmat gear not inclusive).

Third question - how much do I have to donate to charity to get an inv to your command? oh one who can tell a GM that they are wrong :bowdown:

Forth question - will there be any measures to prevent boosting? I ask this because several players (once including myself lvl 10 vs. lvl 6 boar I lost and realised something was wrong :blushing: ) get effectively hand raised by a friend this means that they advance to a high level without receiving the gradual build up of skills required to positively contribute.

Fifth question - on a scale of one to five, how close to sg-1 do you believe the game to be?
One being "well it has a star gate in it", and five "we're being paid to just copy and paste". (Both of which I would love to see so don't worry about pleasing me.)

Sixth question - why do I get the erg to remove the spiky bits from sporks then place them back in the pot? ;)

Seventh question - so far, which has been YOUR favourite archetypes story? (there independent story arc as they see different points of view)

Eighth question - earlier you mentioned that there we’re no dragon kills could you elaborate on this? Did you mean there are no single mobs where 10/25/40 characters go all out on? Where you simply stating that, there wasn't the same build of tank, healer and nuker, or did you mean that instead of a single mob you and your team must tackle a mountain of adds to defeat a boss.

Nineth question – BUFS, personally I hate them but u can't raid without em, seeing as how none of the footage or articles I have read has put any indication towards them. Can you explain any buff system you may have?

As a final note I really must say we can't thank you enough ledaye, it is amazing to finally have dev that will talk to the fans about the game not just give interviews to various journalists.
(anyone who didn’t get them 3 and 6 are jokes)
1. The characters change their armor a lot as they progress. There are also many choices at each 'tier,' and you can mix-and-match. If you mean something else by 'skin,' let me know and I'll explain.

2. Yes, you can opt to not show helmets.

3. Lots.

4. No, while there are different opinions about this, we don't mind of one player helps another to gain levels. With our worlds and combat system, I don't think it will be as much of a problem, because these areas are dangerous to many levels of players.

5. If you mean the look, well, it's different because it's an MMO and there are things we can and want to do visually the show can't. There it's a 3. If you mean the story, it's a 5. I think the game looks better than the show, and so do the show's producers, but you are asking about similarity.

6. Because you're you.

7. Goa'uld. It's SO juicy.

8. This is hard to visualize because the 'dragon' is a very fantasy idea. There is only one real Boss in the whole game. The Big Bad. Everyone else is his minion. You only get to fight him/her/it once. In the instances, you engage in firefights and solve puzzles, just like the show. Think Jack and Teal'c hold off four dozen Jaffa while Sam and Daniel unlock the gate. What is the 'Boss?' The gate? The four dozen Jaffa? The goal of the instance MIGHT be to unlock that gate! The Jaffa are just an obstacle. What should drop the 'loot'? The gate???!!??? In most cases, the goal of the instance is to DO something, not KILL something.

Now, there may be individual MOBs who are tougher than others, but they are almost NEVER the focus of the instance.

And, yes, the tank-healer-mage thing doesn't exist.

Well we have many abilities and they help you in combat. But, I have to say again that this game doesn't play like the others. You say that you can't do a raid without buffs. Of course you can, if the game's focus is on tactics and maneuver and crowd control instead of hit point contests. "get over to the right flank because sometime soon they try to flank you and we have to hold that flank or we'll get overrun." "When do they do that?" "Don't know it varies every time through the instance, I just know that they will sometime." So you have to decide how many characters to put on that flank, because the number of MObs that DO try to flank you varies. But if you carefully observe how many MOBs assault you head-on, you can predicy how many will try to flank you. The strategy is in observation and maneuver, not in buffs.

L

Lymph

Ok sorry questions one and nine we're quite badly worded so I’ll try again.

1- I think this will make more since now you have explained instances, as armour goes do we gain individual items with there own item skin which appears on your character or do we upgrade the whole lot at once for completing an objective? (not a literal example but a better description do we have "hazmat suit" or do we have "hazmat gloves...boots....helm....etc")

9- Other mmo’s make a heavy use of a buff system (world of warcraft for example) does star gate worlds use a similar system of "+225 Attack Power for 30 mins" or do you only use buff effects like "30 second killing spree"?

While trawling through the Wiki and other sites I found that very little has been released about diplomacy, has this idea been shelved or is it too exiting that you want to surprise us all closer to launch?

Also mentioned at the start of production was the intention to not have any form of stun lock, has this been shelved or is it still planned?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok sorry questions one and nine we're quite badly worded so I’ll try again.

1- I think this will make more since now you have explained instances, as armour goes do we gain individual items with there own item skin which appears on your character or do we upgrade the whole lot at once for completing an objective? (not a literal example but a better description do we have "hazmat suit" or do we have "hazmat gloves...boots....helm....etc")

9- Other mmo’s make a heavy use of a buff system (world of warcraft for example) does star gate worlds use a similar system of "+225 Attack Power for 30 mins" or do you only use buff effects like "30 second killing spree"?

While trawling through the Wiki and other sites I found that very little has been released about diplomacy, has this idea been shelved or is it too exiting that you want to surprise us all closer to launch?

Also mentioned at the start of production was the intention to not have any form of stun lock, has this been shelved or is it still planned?
Sorry, yes, there are individual pieces mix-n-match but bonuses for a whole suit.

Our buffs really work more like 'rapid fire type of attack' vs. 'heavy damage type of attack' vs. 'suppression attack' vs. 'area affect attack'. You choose different abilities to try and manage the battlefield rather than buff yourself so much.

Diplomacy? I don't think we ever had a diplomacy ability or rules set. Gotta say here, the Wiki is fan generated and full of erroneous information and speculation.

Now, the guy who designed the Vanguard diplomacy system is helping design the mini-games, but other than that . . .

We do have a form of stun, yes.

R

rexfactor123

Hello Ledaye,

Thought i would sign up to ask you this question:

Would you be interested in a command volunteering their services during the open beta to exclusively test any PvP/Instances or multi-person event, whilst entirely being made up of personnel from a counrty seperate to where the SGW servers are located? Theres a whole patch of ocean that can cause problems between Australia and America :D

Regards,
rexfactor123

p.s. When are you planning a trip to Aus... remember my previous offer still stands :)

D

DemonFerrat

Hello Ledaye,

Thought i would sign up to ask you this question:

Would you be interested in a command volunteering their services during the open beta to exclusively test any PvP/Instances or multi-person event, whilst entirely being made up of personnel from a counrty seperate to where the SGW servers are located? Theres a whole patch of ocean that can cause problems between Australia and America :D

Regards,
rexfactor123

p.s. When are you planning a trip to Aus... remember my previous offer still stands :)
ASU ftw!

D

DemonFerrat

hello again,

We know that at launch it will be possible to walk through the entire interior of a Goa'uld mother ship, Is there anything you can tell us about how/why our characters will be doing this and if it is restricted to a certain race, for example; why would a human be going through it?

Secondly, iv read many rumors about a expansion pack including player owned/controlled space ships, can u confirm this? or is this purely a fan rumor.

do u intend to add space flight at all in the future?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hello again,

We know that at launch it will be possible to walk through the entire interior of a Goa'uld mother ship, Is there anything you can tell us about how/why our characters will be doing this and if it is restricted to a certain race, for example; why would a human be going through it?

Secondly, iv read many rumors about a expansion pack including player owned/controlled space ships, can u confirm this? or is this purely a fan rumor.

do u intend to add space flight at all in the future?
Umm, 'walk through the entire interior of a Goa'uld mother ship'? Could you be more specific? This isn't in our game.

Second, boy, that IS a rumor. We have said that we are going to think about spaceships for the expansion pack, but nothing is confirmed. I would say that IF we ever do space flight, that the expansion pack would be a good place to do it. But I don't know.

U

UberNoober

A forum thread just popped up on the official community site about stats/attributes and I thought I might be able to get some info on it here.

Are stats such as dexterity, stamina and so forth going to play a part in SGW, and is there any info on specific stats that you are able to talk about?

Again, thankyou for answering all of our questions. As many others have said it is great to have something like this where the community can communicate so much with the devs. We all appreciate it very much.

R

ragon2727

I don't know if you remember my orginal question about the interface, but you responded with.

Regarding the interface, hold on to you hat, and hope you're sitting down when you see it. It's better than you can dream. What you've seen on-line until now is not the final.
Just thought I tell you I was sitting down, and I'm glad I was. Your interface thus far looks awesome in its customization.

I guess I should ask a question for good measure, so....

If your character is jet-skiing in the middle of the ocean and a wheel falls off. Will it take the same amount of pancakes to cover a doghouse? And will that change depending on your class? (I.E will the Jaffa be able to better make said pancakes quicker than Commandos)

A

Aegeta

In SGW I've heard that some missions might include us, the player or his/her team, going aboard an enemy Ha'tak how much of the Ha'tak will be explorable? Maybe just one level or so?

Also will the Ancients play a part in the story or crafting, like making Ancient tech or modifiers, ect? I mean other than the obvious Ancient things like being the "gate builders."

Another question will Atlantis be mentioned either the city or the Atlantis Expedition?

Will the ATA gene have anything to do with the game? Like being a random thing humans start off with or unlockable later in the game?

K

Kiminality

*Gives zigzag a poke*

I got a question \o/

Just today, I saw on the official boards, a thread about making abbreviations.
Initial shudder aside, I skimmed the thread, and thought up a question.

For the sake of example, I'll use CoD4, because it has examples of both the things I'm thinking of.

Firstly, will there be voice barks available?
Like, accessible through keystrokes, to play a voice-acted command. Things like "fall back" and the like. so that you can command a group without having to use voice chat, or spend half your time typing.

Secondly, will there be NPC or PC chatter?
To use CoD4 as the example, when you throw a grenade, there's often a yell of "Frag out!"/"Grenade!"/"Granada!"
It can be a reasonable warning, and adds a little life to the battefield (:heart: fidelity).
Similarly, with Team Fortress 2, when a medic finishes healing, the character being healed often calls out a thanks of some kind.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A forum thread just popped up on the official community site about stats/attributes and I thought I might be able to get some info on it here.

Are stats such as dexterity, stamina and so forth going to play a part in SGW, and is there any info on specific stats that you are able to talk about?

Again, thankyou for answering all of our questions. As many others have said it is great to have something like this where the community can communicate so much with the devs. We all appreciate it very much.
Stats really don't matter much. The game is much more driven by which abilities you choose.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if you remember my orginal question about the interface, but you responded with.

Just thought I tell you I was sitting down, and I'm glad I was. Your interface thus far looks awesome in its customization.

I guess I should ask a question for good measure, so....

If your character is jet-skiing in the middle of the ocean and a wheel falls off. Will it take the same amount of pancakes to cover a doghouse? And will that change depending on your class? (I.E will the Jaffa be able to better make said pancakes quicker than Commandos)
Nope.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In SGW I've heard that some missions might include us, the player or his/her team, going aboard an enemy Ha'tak how much of the Ha'tak will be explorable? Maybe just one level or so?

Also will the Ancients play a part in the story or crafting, like making Ancient tech or modifiers, ect? I mean other than the obvious Ancient things like being the "gate builders."

Another question will Atlantis be mentioned either the city or the Atlantis Expedition?

Will the ATA gene have anything to do with the game? Like being a random thing humans start off with or unlockable later in the game?
Hmmm, there IS a ship you board . . .

The Ancients are at the HEART of the story, yes much more than simply them as Gate Builders.

Nope, no Atlantis.

Nope, no 'gene.' I think we all learned a very good lesson when it comes to having certain classes need a special 'gene,' don't you think?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Gives zigzag a poke*

I got a question \o/

Just today, I saw on the official boards, a thread about making abbreviations.
Initial shudder aside, I skimmed the thread, and thought up a question.

For the sake of example, I'll use CoD4, because it has examples of both the things I'm thinking of.

Firstly, will there be voice barks available?
Like, accessible through keystrokes, to play a voice-acted command. Things like "fall back" and the like. so that you can command a group without having to use voice chat, or spend half your time typing.

Secondly, will there be NPC or PC chatter?
To use CoD4 as the example, when you throw a grenade, there's often a yell of "Frag out!"/"Grenade!"/"Granada!"
It can be a reasonable warning, and adds a little life to the battefield (:heart: fidelity).
Similarly, with Team Fortress 2, when a medic finishes healing, the character being healed often calls out a thanks of some kind.
No voice barks like your first example, controllable by the player characters. But we do plan barks as part of the battlefield.

U

UberNoober

Stats really don't matter much. The game is much more driven by which abilities you choose.
To follow up on my original question...

Will there be any passive abilities that effect things like accuracy and such?

Will armor/weapons only have higher/different armor values/weapon damage and no other 'stats'?

After reading your response to my question the first thing that popped into my mind was that leveling and gaining your new abilities would be the only way to progress your character that much. Is there anything else that will add more depth to character development?

Thanks again.

K

Kiminality

No voice barks like your first example, controllable by the player characters. But we do plan barks as part of the battlefield.
Since you said "planned" I understand if there's not enough done in the direction to give an answer, so I'll just throw this follow up question out...

Would there be different accents (possibly selectable, in the case of PCs)?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you said "planned" I understand if there's not enough done in the direction to give an answer, so I'll just throw this follow up question out...

Would there be different accents (possibly selectable, in the case of PCs)?
Sorry if I was vague, barks for the PCs will not be done, for precisely the reason you illustrate above. And, in my experience, players don't like us picking voices for them.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am embarrassingly tardy :blushing:

I've started a new thread, and have dated it :D

I will for sure separate this thread in to the appropriate dates for the task of choosing winners - no worries there.

My apologies to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.