• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online Classic Client Upgrade

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
9/25/2024 The feedback we have received since Ultima Online: New Legacy entered into beta testing has been incredible! Players current, former, and new are excited about a fresh start in this new world. It has been important to us throughout beta testing to listen to what the community is saying and acting on that feedback to bring the best version of New Legacy to full release. There is no mistaking the iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client are irreplaceable. Since its release in 1997, players have come to appreciate the performance and quality of life upgrades that are […]

Continue reading...

1727298185942.png

Last edited by a moderator:

belal

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
It is good that you will finally no longer need to visit a third party website and download third party software to play in 2d.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Never used ClassicUO so this worries me, I only ever use official CC (unless I'm trying to shop a vendor stocked using EC).

"... support higher frame rates and a larger play window" ... I guess this sounds reasonable...

Ever since they trashed several of the classic Britannia dungeons long ago (e.g. the garbage heap that is now dungeon Despise) a lot of my enjoyment playing UO has evaporated. So whatever this actually entails, please don't let it butcher the feel of the classic experience any further...

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never used ClassicUO so this worries me, I only ever use official CC (unless I'm trying to shop a vendor stocked using EC).

"... support higher frame rates and a larger play window" ... I guess this sounds reasonable...

Ever since they trashed several of the classic Britannia dungeons long ago (e.g. the garbage heap that is now dungeon Despise) a lot of my enjoyment playing UO has evaporated. So whatever this actually entails, please don't let it butcher the feel of the classic experience any further...
This will be the3 same client that you know and love, but with an adjustable game window like the EC.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This will be the3 same client that you know and love, but with an adjustable game window like the EC.
Okay. I know this will sound ridiculous but even hearing "higher frame rates" makes me wary. I know some people prefer smooth movement (as per EC) but I'm a great enjoyer of the choppier CC feel. For me, it's been 24 years of pleasing choppy rendering, I hope I can reach 25 years uninterrupted...

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
9/25/2024 The feedback we have received since Ultima Online: New Legacy entered into beta testing has been incredible! Players current, former, and new are excited about a fresh start in this new world. It has been important to us throughout beta testing to listen to what the community is saying and acting on that feedback to bring the best version of New Legacy to full release. There is no mistaking the iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client are irreplaceable. Since its release in 1997, players have come to appreciate the performance and quality of life upgrades that are […]

Continue reading...

View attachment 156991

Bigger Play window will be nice. Hopefully they add some quality of life changes to the official client like being able to lock icons in place so you don't accidentally move them.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I feel you there. I wish they would undo the "revamps" as well. Despise and Shame got ruined by them. They were largely unpopular that they stopped revamping the classic dungeons despite originally promising to redo all of them.

Shame and Despise were great newbie friendly dungeons, now...not so much.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I’m incredibly shocked by this, hopefully it actually works out.

Just please, I beg you, don’t try to “upgrade” the art styles. We like the Classic Client exactly the way it looks now. The water doesn’t need to be shiny like Enhanced Client, nothing needs to change visually.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally! ClassicUO is a great client. Once it's approved my eyes will be incredibly thankful.
Honestly it is unexpected for them to collaborate with a 3rd party like this. This is a good precedent. To be honest, they should consider bringing back the UO Pro 3rd Party Utility program so that 3rd parties can make mods and applications for the game like ClassicUO and UOA and have them officially approved for use by the dev team.

mihali

Sage
This is really good news. Classic UO is far more than just screen resizing, and much more than just optimized graphics!
Lots of ease of life benefits, and also actually functional macros, and lots more! If the Classic UO implementation is close to what the public servers use, chances are pretty decent many old players will return.
Congrats to the Devs and Mesana! Good plan!
:ten:

mihali

Sage

Just please, I beg you, don’t try to “upgrade” the art styles. We like the Classic Client exactly the way it looks now. The water doesn’t need to be shiny like Enhanced Client, nothing needs to change visually.
Agree mostly, except the water in EC : It is a matter of taste. I started playing EC just because the EC sea/ocean water looks so much nicer for me.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This. For the love of God, this.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you read the whole thing it does say:
There is no mistaking the iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client are irreplaceable

I don't think there's any plan to change CC graphics.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Shame and Despise were great newbie friendly dungeons, now...not so much.
Agree, 100 percent. I really miss those dungeons. The deeper levels of Shame retain similarly themed mobs just with 50 times more stats; now it's just slow, boring, uninspiring. Which is strange because it's a very deadly area, but all the mobs feel quite samey since they are all just "50x'd variants" of the originals with massive resists/health bars, with a dragon breathe ability thrown here and there.

As for Despise, yup, I'd love to have the lizardmen, ratmen, earth ele's and ettins again. Oh god, and the area on level 3 where there were Titans and Cyclopeans, that area was SO cool, I loved that spawn, and there was an acid ele round the corner in his acid pond. Of course, the Ogres and Ogre Lords, that wide area is arguably an even bigger loss. Speaking of which, my oldest screenshots are of that area, November 2001.

1 (22.11.01).jpg

Ramble over~ I know this is all off topic but I love talking about the dungeons :)