• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Quest boredom

Miretar

Journeyman
I spent about 4 days pr fishing for the fishmonger quests. Unfortunately I was misled. UO guide made it clear that with 105 fishing I would not need shallow water fish. Other recent posters seemed to imply that you could grab the crate of fish & recall to the delivery point. Both were wrong.
So I spent over an hour fishing up 10 salmon to discover that I couldn’t recall with the crate And was faced with having to spend more time getting the crate to Papua. The second quest wanted lobsters.

I had planned to try the quest chain to go for a 120 fishing scroll. Forget that.

the objective of this quest chain seems to be to see who survives the quest without dying of boredom.

The BVM Ararat quest looked interesting too until we saw the hoops we had to go through to get to the ship.

The Devs shouldn’t be surprised that players purchase this stuff from illegal vendors. If getting this stuff were more enjoyable they could probably reduce the number of illegal purchases.

If they put items such as 120 stat scrolls and other items selling for millions of gold through player vendor for sale on the UO store they would not only take a step towards fixing the economy but give a hand to newcomers.

Repetitive performance art quests are boring and turn people away from the game. We want to enjoy the game and explore the rich environment that the game offers and not run on a hamster wheel.

Comparisons are at all times odious but WOW often had a better hand with quests. I still fondly remember the quest chain that culminated with a conga line of ogres, humans and dwarves. The quest boredom also evokes the boss encounters in WOW where players hade to kill the same boss multiple times hoping to get a single item.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The BVM Ararat quest looked interesting too until we saw the hoops we had to go through to get to the ship.

The Devs shouldn’t be surprised that players purchase this stuff from illegal vendors. If getting this stuff were more enjoyable they could probably reduce the number of illegal purchases.
II'm not sure how the Ararat quest (ie Underwater) relates to the 120 fishing PS?? That is a completely different "quest" chain and has nothing to do with fishing. The quest itself to get into UW is a little drawn out but you can do it in an hour or so if you have the proper runes (what shard are you on? I have a runebook for this quest on ATL). You will need a group but UW loot is right up there for "best loot" in the game so that's definitely worth it.

As for fishing.... I can tell you that fishing is definitely boring and if you are going to go for the 120 fishing scroll then the advice I've seen (I haven't tried for one) is to just fish/fish/fish/fish for days or a week or so to stock pile all the different types of fish.... THEN start doing the quests. Once you do that then you can take advantage of the "half circle" route which basically hits every server line so you can grab the quests and just sail a handful of screens to hit the other server lines to be able to recall to other docks and complete the quests. There are several other posts about how to do this but here is my crude attempt at a route summary. To get to Papua you just take the Serp Pillar located SE of Bucs. Completing the trade runs are the easy part of the 120 scroll... the hard part is fishing up all the fish (I've heard you should have 700-1000 of each fish to make a run at a scroll).

1660074097566.png

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once the devs thought it was cute to remove dungeon fishing from overland Eodon waters, I said screw it with regards to the fishmonger quests. Oh overland Ilshenar is still considered a dungeon for Saltpeter mining though....go figure.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once the devs thought it was cute to remove dungeon fishing from overland Eodon waters, I said screw it with regards to the fishmonger quests. Oh overland Ilshenar is still considered a dungeon for Saltpeter mining though....go figure.
There are several small islands in Shame that you can fish from without being harassed by monsters. I just bring a Giant Beetle with 3 Fish Baskets on him, and fill them up. The water inside the Twisted Weald teleporter mushroom cave is also considered dungeon fishing. Shame is better though.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are several small islands in Shame that you can fish from without being harassed by monsters. I just bring a Giant Beetle with 3 Fish Baskets on him, and fill them up. The water inside the Twisted Weald teleporter mushroom cave is also considered dungeon fishing. Shame is better though.
Yep, I"m aware of those and all of the other places. They pale in comparison to the amount of fish you could bring up in Eodon. It was an unannounced changed done for no good reason whatsoever...which is par for the course for this team .

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, I"m aware of those and all of the other places. They pale in comparison to the amount of fish you could bring up in Eodon. It was an unannounced changed done for no good reason whatsoever...which is par for the course for this team .
There's a particular island in Shame where if you fish from the 4 corners of it, you never run out of Dungeon Fish. By the time you finish fishing up the 3rd corner, the first corner has respawned.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fish dungeon fish in Shame, I can stay as long as I like hopping from one island to another and circling them.
Eodon ceased to be classed as 'dungeon' to allow for treasure maps to spawn there, also there was the problem of the seeds of the silver sapling rezing you in the abyss if you had one planted and then died in Eodon. I believe there were other reasons too.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I fish dungeon fish in Shame, I can stay as long as I like hopping from one island to another and circling them.
Eodon ceased to be classed as 'dungeon' to allow for treasure maps to spawn there, also there was the problem of the seeds of the silver sapling rezing you in the abyss if you had one planted and then died in Eodon. I believe there were other reasons too.
I'm sorry the only reason was sloppy lazy coding chopping off legs for a splinter the uo way..