• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What happened to hit chance?

Navarre

Visitor
Hello,
I am a returning player to Ultima Online. It has been longer than a decade since I last played. I'm wondering what changed in recently years to melee hit chance. I am missing very low level mobs, even with high Swordsmanship. Also, I was shocked to find out I couldn't hit a tamer mage who has 0 parrying (well, missed half the time). It used to be impossible to miss a non-warrior type. I understand there is the "Hit Chance Increase" modifier and it goes up to 45 but I didn't need any hit chance before to be able to strike a MONGBAT or, like I said, a non-combat type player.

What exactly happened? Does anyone know the old and new formula?

Thanks in advance!
Navarre

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Scroll down to the chance to hit calculator.

Navarre

Visitor
Thanks. I found a table and it compares the combat ability between the attacker and defender. This looks more like what I'm used to but not what I'm currently experiencing. E.g., If I have a 50 or higher combat skill and the defender has only 5 means I have a 100% to hit him or her (modified by their defense chance, of course), I wonder if my character is bugged somehow.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks. I found a table and it compares the combat ability between the attacker and defender. This looks more like what I'm used to but not what I'm currently experiencing. E.g., If I have a 50 or higher combat skill and the defender has only 5 means I have a 100% to hit him or her (modified by their defense chance, of course), I wonder if my character is bugged somehow.
Using throwing?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
If you are thrower - take shield off. Need 120 parry to hit mobs, even mongbats.

Navarre

Visitor
I don't use throwing. Hmm parry has something to do with hit chance when you're a thrower though? That's interesting. Or maybe just when he's holding a shield? But, I'm just a paladin with a sword and shield, wondering why my hit chance seems to be somewhat worse than it was on a character with similar skills and gear that I had on Pacific 13 years ago.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Scroll down to the chance to hit calculator.
FORMULA: Hit Chance% = ( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] ) divided by
( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) ) * 100
Minimum hit Chance% is 2% at all times.

Huh, it used to be combat ability plus 50. I wonder when that changed.

When hit chance and defense chance were first introduced, they stacked directly on top of base hit/defense chance (i.e. cumulative not multiplicative). Early on I found a ring and bracelet that were each +11/+11. With 22 directly added to my hit and defense chance, my PvP meleer was devastating until the formula was changed.