• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

December Gifts for 2020?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with December literally a day away i got thinking we will probably see this years x-mas gift tokens being released.

did they put them out on test server?
if so what are they this year?

just wondering if i need to do my wrist warm ups for the 780 log in's im gonna need to do.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why do you all defend the DEVs all the time and make it seem like when they **** on you its just warm honey and not the crap that it is...

I just don't get it... they can poop in your Wheaties and you act like it's the best dang thing they have given you in 20 years...

They can ignore the hell out of everyone treat us like total scum and you all glow all over anything like a bunch of lemmings following the leader over a cliff...

They give you the news that they are wasting time and resources working on a temporary shard... and you all act like it's the best damn thing ever.

Nothing and no news about Christmas ... Oh that's ok... NO no it isn't ok...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste It's because some people have nothing else to play and nothing else to do so they just suck it up, there are some fantastic holiday events in other games, the Devs should go look at them...
Prolly why we lack so much, they are busy playing other games LOL

Cause from some of the decisions and changes made, and blank stares when you ask a question at a M&G, it's kinda obvious they aren't playing this game...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why do you all defend the DEVs all the time and make it seem like when they **** on you its just warm honey and not the crap that it is...

I just don't get it... they can poop in your Wheaties and you act like it's the best dang thing they have given you in 20 years...

They can ignore the hell out of everyone treat us like total scum and you all glow all over anything like a bunch of lemmings following the leader over a cliff...

They give you the news that they are wasting time and resources working on a temporary shard... and you all act like it's the best damn thing ever.

Can anyone say...
1606829456858.png

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@kevin2002 Wow dude. She has a right to say whatever is legal here. Ignore her if it bothers you k? And on gifts maybe no one did the switch or they are not ready or the devs sleep still or whatever. I am sure they will come.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@kevin2002 Wow dude. She has a right to say whatever is legal here. Ignore her if it bothers you k? And on gifts maybe no one did the switch or they are not ready or the devs sleep still or whatever. I am sure they will come.
That means I also have a right to say whatever is legal doesn't it?

I think people should stop acting so entitled and think we should get gifts every year. Seems like it's the same handful of people (and one triggered person specifically) who are the ones that never have anything good to say about the game. Nobody is forcing anyone to play UO, they can feel free to quit and stop posting whenever they want. :pancakes: :pancakes: :pancakes:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They are turning on Krampas again, The Dark Forest is running through the 20th, and this is around the time they all go on holiday.

I don't remember them mentioning anything about gifts but if we DON'T get any, that's nothing to whine about. They have given us more new content lately that people are COMPLAINING because the content overlaps and they don't have enough time to do it all!

When has THAT ever happened here?

Sometimes Mom and Dad can't afford to play santa and us kids just have to be happy and thankful for what we already have.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They are turning on Krampas again, The Dark Forest is running through the 20th, and this is around the time they all go on holiday.

I don't remember them mentioning anything about gifts but if we DON'T get any, that's nothing to whine about. They have given us more new content lately that people are COMPLAINING because the content overlaps and they don't have enough time to do it all!

When has THAT ever happened here?

Sometimes Mom and Dad can't afford to play santa and us kids just have to be happy and thankful for what we already have.

Exactly my point... defend them all you like but no... Never ever would I ever let a massive holiday like Christmas go without something even if I had to craft it with my own two hands out of whatever I could scratch up...

Though it is still early yet just the first today... The silent treatment is getting really, really, old from the DEVs... I've been playing a LOT of other games... and honestly, the vast majority of other games do a way better job of communicating with those who provide their bread and butter... They would do well to remember that... but because they know that many of you would lap up dirt from the floor if they laid it down for you... they don't bother... and they will continue to treat you like fodder for it.

I'm just saying that you should stop treating them like "Gods" and insist that they actually behave more like their jobs depend on making you happy rather than like you require them for your enjoyment.

And to be totally SERIOUS... This has been a harsh year for everyone... There is no Playing Santa here... They know or at least should know exactly what the players expect of them during the year... They expect something for major Holidays, Easter, Halloween and Christmas... being the Traditional ones we normally look forward to in-game... So NOT planning for such things is honestly just plain lazy and would be completely rude. The year we were "regifted" the same gift as the year before comes to mind... They have an ENTIRE year to plan for Holidays... the Holidays don't really change at all they are there every year... year after year like expecting the sun not to come up in the morning one day just because it doesn't feel like it right now... planning for them should be second nature at this point...

Again most other games are pretty good at it... and several include major holidays for other countries... especially ones they have a large number of players living in... which also includes our Independence Day in the USA... Even games based in Korea and Japan...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Again most other games are pretty good at it... and several include major holidays for other countries... especially ones they have a large number of players living in... which also includes our Independence Day in the USA... Even games based in Korea and Japan...
Just a thought... if you are feeling that way maybe you should go play those other games that give you the pixels you feel so entitled to rather than pancaking about it here. I could have sworn you said in multiple post that you shut down all your accounts so if that's true I'm not sure why it's such an issue for you.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a thought... if you are feeling that way maybe you should go play those other games that give you the pixels you feel so entitled to rather than pancaking about it here. I could have sworn you said in multiple post that you shut down all your accounts so if that's true I'm not sure why it's such an issue for you.
And this attitude is what is causing people to leave the game. And unless things have changed, people are still being told this in chat on the shards ingame when they ask simple questions.

I personally remember being told if I didn't like PvP, to get out of Fel. So I did, and thousands of others did as well. Wish Granted.
Now all we hear is pissing and moaning because fel is dead, nothing new comes to fel, etc etc.

My wife stepped in to help a fella the other day, who had asked a simple question (yeah) and instead of being given a simple answer, was told to just quit or go back to whatever game they had been playing NOOB! So why should anyone bother recruiting players, if this is the game attitude?

As for gifts, they laid around the house all year evidently not doing much, how hard would i t have been to rehue a token, use the same spawn of gift boxes, and toss some piece of art in it as a gift. heck, there used to be unused artwork already in the client.

Forest of the dark = a champ spawn with statues. Not really new.
Krampus = same ole...nothing new there

Anyway, yall keep kissin up to the 'team' even when they aren't doing much. New Legacy is vaporware, it only exists as a newsletter LOL. No credit to be given to that as yet, becuase they don't even know what the hell it's gonna be....just some ethereal ideas floating around.

Game programmers, using working from home as an excuse not to communicate, and not to perform, is laughable.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Go back and look at the three posts prior to the Malagaste meltdown. What was said that warranted such a response? As far as I can tell, it was an overreaction.

Just calling it like I see it.
I agree completely. If you are so bitter about this game, why are you still here? I've gotten to that point with games in the past, especially MMOs - and hanging around the forums at that point is probably not a good idea.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree completely. If you are so bitter about this game, why are you still here? I've gotten to that point with games in the past, especially MMOs - and hanging around the forums at that point is probably not a good idea.
Bingo.

@Uriah Heep - At what point were either of her post anywhere close to cordial? She went ballistic out the gates. Assuming you aren't being a spaz asking a question in chat or throwing a tantrum about how the game sucks or whatever; you won't get that response typically. If you are going to throw a fit about how the game sucks; do you expect people to convince you otherwise?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Exactly my point... defend them all you like but no... Never ever would I ever let a massive holiday like Christmas go without something even if I had to craft it with my own two hands out of whatever I could scratch up...

What about the %70 of the world that is non-Christian and does not celebrate Christmas, where is your RANT supporting their beliefs and yes I am a Christian but I do not DEMAND special treatment above all others.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BAD example. The major reason they support US holidays is the good old US dollar, maybe you should look at countries that do not have large US Military personal in them like China or India. Wasn't there a story this past election that only %49 of the US is religious so what about the %51 that really doesn't care. You are very much entitled to your beliefs but please stop trying to shove beliefs down every bodies throat.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm trying to think of what they could possibly put in there!

We've gotten 4 different styles of trees, Sleighs and Reindeer, Sleighs WITH Reindeer, big nutcrackers, small nutcrackers, nutcracker deeds, snowmen (I want more of these!) snow globes, piles of snow, ice patches, icicles, garland, wreath deeds, wreaths not in deeds, big candy canes, little candy canes, bells, ribbons, candles, mistletoe, fireflies, potted trees, cactus, poinsettias, mini festive, winter and infested trees, stockings, angel tree toppers, snowflakes, holiday signs, rocking horse, snow statue, egg nog, santa statues......and that's just what I have...I know there's more...

What can they give is that's new and goes with the holidays?

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They're probably working on a small token that has the letters "P-F-I-Z-E-R" scribed into it, and when you double click it, you're given a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine...
That'll probably do for a Xmas gift this year to be honest.
But seriously... I'll wager on neon Christmas trees.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They're probably working on a small token that has the letters "P-F-I-Z-E-R" scribed into it, and when you double click it, you're given a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine...
That'll probably do for a Xmas gift this year to be honest.
But seriously... I'll wager on neon Christmas trees.

For a Governor's meeting on Baja we made our own masks a few months back. What's crazy is after we did that, the Governor of Vesper actually caught Covid. [He's out of the hospital and looks like he's going to be fine]
We're already talking and will probably make our own presents and give one to the Devs. Because that's what it's all about.

If the Devs do anything, yeah, it's a gift and I'll be thankful.

Vesper Cooties Mask.jpg

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm trying to think of what they could possibly put in there!

We've gotten 4 different styles of trees, Sleighs and Reindeer, Sleighs WITH Reindeer, big nutcrackers, small nutcrackers, nutcracker deeds, snowmen (I want more of these!) snow globes, piles of snow, ice patches, icicles, garland, wreath deeds, wreaths not in deeds, big candy canes, little candy canes, bells, ribbons, candles, mistletoe, fireflies, potted trees, cactus, poinsettias, mini festive, winter and infested trees, stockings, angel tree toppers, snowflakes, holiday signs, rocking horse, snow statue, egg nog, santa statues......and that's just what I have...I know there's more...

What can they give is that's new and goes with the holidays?
How about Face masks (mempo's) in different colors rare colors could include glacial and "burn your eyes out" flame orange. Label them "a mask hand-crafted by (insert random employee name here)" make them imbuable of course and maybe add a line that says "Virus resist 10%"

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is still early...maybe Santa trying to catch up what with COVID 19. I honestly do not remember a
year where we didn’t get Christmas gifts. But I do remember them not always being on the first. I so hope
this isn’t what it will be like on prodo shards now that that temporary shard has been announced.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lmao at the Giant blackrock piece :p

@Keven2002 What year did we not get a gift in December? That's the oldest tradition in UO.
I like the December gift, its nice gift for xmas and the following holidays :)
But what I dont need is 23rd gift, summer gift, valentines gift, and maybe well i like the easter gift too.

By dropping a few of those gifts might save some dev time,
but that being said we know all the devtime these days are the new shard (I dont want to derail the threat so ill leave it with that)
Im sure it will be fantastic, *on the cost of production shard issues, bugs and flaws*

Final line, we will most likely have an xmas gift this year also, anything else would surprise me.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not, since one of the first Christmas gifts was a lump of coal (from which enterprising people created the first black dye tubs). They could be given out with whatever artfrom, "from" a particular dev/GM.
:oops:

The original black dye tubs were created with a 3rd party program that let you choose colors outside the set range.

Ning

Journeyman
Personally I haven't been all that jazzed about the Xmas items since the original potted plants in like 99 maybe? I loved those things. The Xmas trees were cool, the bells in 2000 were alright. Otherwise I pretty much just trashed everything. They seem to be great for Britannia cleanup points.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What! The gifts to me and my friends are always fun! And the chance of pretty boxes and I still use almost every item we ever got to deco . Some I use all year. Plus you can shard trade. !! And yes eventually they hit the clean up pile, well not all have yet. I hope we get them this year and soon.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, I didn't want to mention that much, but it was using the coal for the color.
Erm.. No.. The black from the illicit dye tubs (now vet rewards) is hue 1. Coal, given as the '97 naughty gift, is hue 1109 (which is also known as shadow dancer black).

1607312790807.png

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Erm.. No.. The black from the illicit dye tubs (now vet rewards) is hue 1. Coal, given as the '97 naughty gift, is hue 1109 (which is also known as shadow dancer black).

View attachment 114396
Erm, yes. That hues don't match is meaningless when the game developers 23 years ago weren't concerned about the concept. Whatever happened to alter the colors, or whether that was the same method, whenever you or someone edited UO Guide to justify yourselves, I have one of the originals and know how my friend made it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Erm, yes. That hues don't match is meaningless when the game developers 23 years ago weren't concerned about the concept. Whatever happened to alter the colors, or whether that was the same method, whenever you or someone edited UO Guide to justify yourselves, I have one of the originals and know how my friend made it.
It's a nice story that the original black dye tubs came from coal and it was the urban myth at the time, but it simply wasn't true. The hue system hasn't changed: true black (the color of the tubs) has always been hue 1; coal was never true black, it always had the subtle hilights that comes with 1109. There wasn't a dev conspiracy to retroactively change the hue of coal to obscure the "truth" about black tubs.

Just because you don't want to believe that your friend used an exploit doesn't make it true. Your friend lied to you.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for editing the UO Guide page on the black tubs, that's easily debunked. Look at the last modified date:

Screenshot_20201207-113442_Chrome.jpg

My time machine is in the shop with a fritzing flux capacitor, so....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dot was busted trying to conceal evidence. sad... :devil:

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just spoke to EM Roenick ingame and he says there will be no Holiday gifts this year. He says everyone needs to email Mesanna because he is tired of fielding emails. If 2020 wasn't bad enough, no Holiday gifts is a kick to the old rum balls...

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think with The Forest of the Dark (Statues) Artisan Festival (All those gifts) Krampus and starting tomorrow the new ice dungeon event....that's MORE then enough gifts.....my opinion anyway.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am one who is grateful for any gifts but it would be so sad if 2020 was the year we didn't get one. I'll be happy with recycled stuff--or maybe they could give us a cure for Covid :)

I hope this isn't true!