• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online: New Legacy

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Seasons work in newer and polished games but to think this would work for UO is absolutely insane imo. UO is a flat out grind fest which in and of itself seems totally incompatible with year long seasons.

Can we please just have a perm server that has all of the best parts of classic UO - debatable i know- and go with that? Classic music, no more human glow sticks, original artwork only (my god artwork of last 1.5 decades is awful), fel ruleset, vanquish/power etc. items, no insurance, and then just throw in some dynamic events here and there? This is my pipe dream.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fact that it has taken them all year to announce the announcement of something that is still sort of a work in progress just shows how this "new" shard will be run.
As for Dupes.......give it a couple days open and the new shard will be filled with dupes too.
So many exploits still work in UO and even some that got "fixed" and were long forgotten about work. (ie the instant max skill exploit).
They cannot adequately run the shards they have, so introducing another with another different set of rules is only gonna add to the mess.
Can you just go away until the new shard opens?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If we simplify what they are saying ("bring back the nostalgia") it's really not that surprising what they are doing. We started with recycling ToT... then recycled invasion... then built a tool to help drop in recycled content like "treasures of" events or Krampus or Artisan fair... and then today they announce they are recycling old content from 20 years ago for sake of nostalgia. They don't want it to be a one trick pony so they are going to blow it up every X months so they can recycle it again. GOT YA!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I still think it's hilarious how the live stream went down though... literally admitting they hadn't used Skype before except yesterday (which is kind of sad being they are in the tech industry and haven't used it more than once during the pandemic). On top of that we had Bleak losing connection or timing out on his dial up connection and we had Messana or Misk (not sure which one) fumbling with muting their mic so there was an echo when Messana was talking... oh and then Messana muted herself for like 3minutes and nobody on her team even said anything. You cannot make this stuff up!!! I was dying laughing during most of it. Honestly for what it's worth Kyronix is the only one that seemed like he had his act together and was professional and prepared.

StaticATL

Visitor
A swing and a miss for me. A classic shard that was persistent, and got back to the core mechanics. Most would come back and reactivate our multiple accounts.

sad day also to see them admit that this was the first time using Skype or video chat. Technically terrible, and it shows on the production shards. Again some of the player ran shards don’t make excuses they have fix the problems and moved on, and have WAY better content then what these6 have developed.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The scary part of all of the video, is that Bleak, the engingeer, the one hired to keep the servers running and communicating and operating smoothly, couldn't stay online...

Nothing personal to him, just odd is all...and it explains a lot

wrectangle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The scary part of all of the video, is that Bleak, the engingeer, the one hired to keep the servers running and communicating and operating smoothly, couldn't stay online...

He also had a complete lack of enthusiasm when he did talk.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Will it be enough to pull me away from Elder Scrolls Online? Dunno. I've always liked starting from scratch, and not being able to transfer in characters or gold or goods gives that opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if I tried it out some while me characters on the other shards continue to hibernate. It could give me a reason to keep paying the subscription on two accounts.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
He also had a complete lack of enthusiasm when he did talk.
Friends, some of the most brilliant people I know are very uncomfortable in person or live anywhere. It's not a problem we have seen that before. I thought he did fine. I find Bleak very informative when answering one of my questions.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Will it be enough to pull me away from Elder Scrolls Online? Dunno. I've always liked starting from scratch, and not being able to transfer in characters or gold or goods gives that opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if I tried it out some while me characters on the other shards continue to hibernate.
I like wandering the forest having to collect reagents only to be chased off by a mongbat! Damn those things are tough!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Reminds me, I wonder if the new classic-or-whatever shard will have imbuing, which isn't exactly a classic skill. Actually, I hope not. Imbuing was fun for a while, but it took all the fun out of finding items with the qualities you needed.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Open-world PvP = no interest from me. If they rethink that, I would probably check it out. I usually have the most fun in MMOs working up my characters to max level/stat/whatever - so that aspect is somewhat appealing.

However, a lot of the fun for me is also finding items. If everything is going away, it would be hard to get excited about finding something really cool. I'm not sure how I feel about it in total - but PvP means it's a no-go.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nobody said it would be a Fel-like shard.
Yes yes they did... they mentioned the VvV system many times over... and much of the nostalgia mentioned was fel based... so yes it will be a more of an open PvP sort of shard... which I have ZERO interest in ... Fel is dead as a doornail for a reason... mostly populated by a bunch of cheaters using 3rd party programs and hacks... I have yet to see a video or a screenshot from a PvPer in Fel that wasn't using hacks...

And they also stated they aren't going to do squat about that either... cheaters gonna cheat is basically what Mesanna said. So yeah... same old same old stuff... without addressing real issues. But hey a shinny new basic Siege test shard that gets regularly wiped... Not interested in the slightest.

Go watch the video over and tell me it's not a Fel/Siege like shard.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
mostly populated by a bunch of cheaters using 3rd party programs and hacks
You actually bring up a good point... I was kind of taken aback when Messana directly acknowledged the cheating and then completely dismissed it like "yea I mean we do what we can but people are gonna cheat to win so it is what it is". It doesn't really have the tone of leveling the playing field for PvP on the new shard...

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I definitely don't think it is. It will have some form of PvP, but I seriously doubt it will be large scale non-consensual PvP and PK'ing. If your take-away was that they are creating another Siege-like shard, then I think I watched a different stream.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Ask yourselves this question.

Are current players the target market for this new legacy shard?

I would say no. That is why it is portrayed as a driver for bringing people to the game and why when the season ends it encourages you to transfer to a production shard........I better transfer or I loose my stuff.

Streamlined easier content and systems with a taste of things to come.....

It is what it is and a year away.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Open world PvP... they should make it order/chaos and when you create the char you have to choose one. And have it coded where you cannot attack anyone on the same side you are on. If they can code that...

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ask yourselves this question.

Are current players the target market for this new legacy shard?

I would say no. That is why it is portrayed as a driver for bringing people to the game and why when the season ends it encourages you to transfer to a production shard........I better transfer or I loose my stuff.

Streamlined easier content and systems with a taste of things to come.....

It is what it is and a year away.
This is something I was wondering, they were pretty non-committal about dates. Maybe I missed it but did they give any kind of a timeline that we are looking at? A few months? A year?

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This is something I was wondering, they were pretty non-committal about dates. Maybe I missed it but did they give any kind of a timeline that are we looking at? A few months? A year?
I heard a year

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who the hell do they think will be flocking to this new shard that will be wiped in a year? The only people I know who would willingly do that are veteran players looking for something totally different. Why would a new player to an MMO ever waste a year in it just to lose everything? If I was new to MMO's that would make me never play an MMO again.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then there is this....

I thought it would be Steam + something like the actual announcement. A new shard or whatever to go along with introducing the game to a broader audience. Anyway it sounds like it could be a lot of fun, though some aspects I have reservations with. I just hope they really listen to player feedback as more details emerge.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
This whole concept sounds a lot like Crowfall, hey it might be cool right? Some of the themed shards they put up in the past were fun like Abyss. Hey Devs, sounds like it might be fun! Thank you for trying something new to keep UO interesting.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reminds me, I wonder if the new classic-or-whatever shard will have imbuing, which isn't exactly a classic skill. Actually, I hope not. Imbuing was fun for a while, but it took all the fun out of finding items with the qualities you needed.
Oh god!!! can you imagine having to do Animal Taming again without SoT's...........hmm speaking of which, is it back to old school animal Training or the new version?........what about the Phoenix?!?!?!?!? :eek:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm sounds kinda cool, I like the seasons idea, in theory. I'd have to see what the ruleset actually is before I would really consider playing it. I'm really not interested in a classic ruleset at all, I think it would just be boring, but if it were some more streamlined version of what we have now, I could see myself getting into it... cept for the fact that I have to change my computers resolution any time I play just so I can see the anything. Is there a fix/workaround to that I don't know about?

Though obviously I can't see this bringing in even a small number of players. If they didn't know about UO, and weren't already interested I don't know how this would alert them to it or get them to download.

Also am I misreading this or did they basically say they aren't going to be developing "uo live" any more outside of event content?

I was really hoping this announcement was going to be tools to run your own shard. That's probably the only thing that would 100% get me back into this game for any period of time. :p

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what about the Phoenix?!?!?!?!? :eek:
That phoenix really is an eye sore. :(
I feel your pain when you see a beloved UO creature overhauled for no reason and completely ruined in the process, I felt the same way when they overhauled the Terathan avenger, it went from that deadly blood red menace, to a paper mache joke, which looks nothing like the other terathans.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am 10000000000000000000000000000% into this. I'm super hyped. This is what I've asked for many times. IMO this is everything I've wanted and I thank the UO team. You RMT **** get lost and stay off. I also 100% know this shard won't get a lot of love from Stratics seeing as how it seems to have been infested by a certain player type over the years. Not even derogatory. Just not the type of play style I enjoy.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes yes they did... they mentioned the VvV system many times over... and much of the nostalgia mentioned was fel based... so yes it will be a more of an open PvP sort of shard... which I have ZERO interest in ... Fel is dead as a doornail for a reason... mostly populated by a bunch of cheaters using 3rd party programs and hacks... I have yet to see a video or a screenshot from a PvPer in Fel that wasn't using hacks...

And they also stated they aren't going to do squat about that either... cheaters gonna cheat is basically what Mesanna said. So yeah... same old same old stuff... without addressing real issues. But hey a shinny new basic Siege test shard that gets regularly wiped... Not interested in the slightest.

From latest newsletter:

Q: Will UO: NL be another Siege/Mugen?
No, we are not modeling UO: NL after Siege or Mugen in any way.

________

There you have it from the devs... its not a Fel/Siege shard. Like I said on the other thread, you're the one that needs to re-listen. They discussed how PVP will be different.

Not sure why every post from you needs to be some negative hateful blather.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They explicitly said the below. It's going to be an opt in system.

Q: I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me or steal from me - is the new shard a place for me? Is it consensual PvP and can I play without being harassed? How does Trammel/Felucca fit into the game?

The traditional concept of “Trammel and Felucca” does not apply to a UO: NL shard. There is only one facet (The World) and within that facet we will support those who like to participate in PvP via an updated Vice vs. Virtue framework while those who would rather participate in PvM content can do so without fear of being killed. That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not. "

Diz iz da part dat worriez meez. Soundz like - sure yooz dun hab to gooz but yooze will hab to iffn yooz want diz shinie.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who the hell do they think will be flocking to this new shard that will be wiped in a year? The only people I know who would willingly do that are veteran players looking for something totally different. Why would a new player to an MMO ever waste a year in it just to lose everything? If I was new to MMO's that would make me never play an MMO again.
People who like diablo 3 are probably the target audience. Not sure what other games have seasonal content.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not. "

Diz iz da part dat worriez meez. Soundz like - sure yooz dun hab to gooz but yooze will hab to iffn yooz want diz shinie.
Good point I wasn't thinking about. You're a smart goblin.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good point I wasn't thinking about. You're a smart goblin.
Girkle Hummie! Meez will let yooz lib when da REBOLUTION beginz!

wait wait ..ummm. nerg nerg dere nerg rebolution in da wurkz...... all yooz hummiez und flappiez iz saf......

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think he was juggling a number of things at one time (e.g., releasing an update to the website at just the right time, making sure the website didn't crash, starting the video that Kyronix put together, keeping an eye on comments people were making) while everyone else only had to log in and talk.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh meez hab planz to peez all ober da mean hummiez - jus kause meez tooz busie rulin ober all da hummiez und flappiez to mezz wif dat shard dunt mean dere aint udda goblinz day may wanta gooz play wif demz.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From latest newsletter:

Q: Will UO: NL be another Siege/Mugen?
No, we are not modeling UO: NL after Siege or Mugen in any way.

________

There you have it from the devs... its not a Fel/Siege shard. Like I said on the other thread, you're the one that needs to re-listen. They discussed how PVP will be different.

Not sure why every post from you needs to be some negative hateful blather.

Not every post is... when they fix the things that are seriously broken and making it impossible to enjoy the game then I'll quit being negative. Until then they get little but disgust from me.

When returning friends can actually return without having to spend a week to ten days trying to navigate the BS that is the account Mismanagment system...

When I can once again loot a public corpse at a champ spawn, at an EM Event... On the Roof... would really be nice to be able to loot again. I'm not going back to playing the CC... If that's the only option then I'd rather not play at all... And I'll be pretty bitter about till it's fixed.

When they fire the carpenters in Nu'Jelm... and fix the broken stuff there... taking some pride in how the game actually looks...

When it stops taking days to get a GM response when you page at any time other than 9-5...

When they stop coddling the Rares community and start doing something for the other people who play...

When bugs reported on their own website stop getting released onto the servers and are actually addressed beforehand...

And maybe when they realize that you can't put the cat back in the bag and move on with things and stop having a stroke over the powercreep problem they are stuck with since someone thought AoS was a great concept... get over it and learn to deal...

When I can play in the EC without constantly having to reboot the game because there are several "ghost" things staying on my screen that aren't really there... It's seriously annoying to do a champ spawn or work somewhere like Exodus and have 5 or 6 left over images of mobs from the last spawn still lingering on my screen...

When they fix the EC circle of Transparency to not be a joke... I can barely even see my feet... let alone anything that might be near my feet...

When the things in my house that are animated don't vanish when I have CoT on... while using the EC... Sometimes I forget I have Fountains of Life... Because they are invisible to me most of the time.

When I can play in the EC and the bars actually update... especially my pets bar... it really sucks to think your pet is doing fine just to find out he's dead 2 seconds later because it's health bar wasn't updating properly...

But No none of that stuff matters... You think I should just give them a gold star for having the server up and running "most" of the time...

Well, I don't think that way. I'm tired of trying to play a broken game and I'm fed up with it getting ignored year after year... Other people might be fine with it but I'm not... eventually all those little annoying things add up and you just get fed up...

And finally ... absolutely sick and tired of everything being hyped up... lingering for MONTHS in complete silence wondering WTF is going on... Only to finally hear something but it's not anything with much of any detail at all..... and yes getting seriously disappointed again and again and again...

I stuck around quite a while waiting on the Pet revamp... was excited to finally get to tame a bunch of things that I really wanted to tame... Only to have them nerfed to oblivion and changed... and weakened to the point that they aren't worth the time. Shadow Wyrms... My lovely Dread Spiders... sadly the Necromancy is just broken beyond any hope... and shadow wyrms without being able to use most of their necromancy kinda stink... not worth 5 slots and a 4 slot one isn't worth training... Isn't much you can do to help it... but gosh forbid tamers might get something decent to use. Disappointed to the max... The only ones not disappointed were the ones sitting on 100's of PS... and maybe the CuSidhe who finally got back on the field after lingering in the stables for ages...

I could go on with more and more examples of things but I think this list is plenty long... but you keep praising them and giving them blessings for every little thing they do while they ignore the BIG issues... You go right ahead.

Now while I enjoy Trick or Treating and all in UO... it'd be nice if we could switch out a LOT of the rewards and just focus more on newer stuff... I'd like to have the plain white cobwebs spawning again not the hideous orange and black ones that you almost can't see when you get them... I miss the white ones... those were at least useful in deco... Instead, it will be 400 old items before you finally get a new one... Seems to me that the Artists are the ones doing the lions share of work... as most of what we been getting is just new deco. We've asked before if they could limit the "rewards" to the last 2 or 3 years... so you aren't constantly getting things from 6 or 7 years ago... got so many ghost chairs I could tile a house with them... but nope... can't be bothered to do that... just tack on 1 or 2 "new" things and spit it out again... Minimal effort... seriously... it's old... How about I don't carve the same 10 pumpkins from the start of pumpkin carving and get more of a chance in hades to carve a newer one???? Nope cause coding something like that might actually be ... you know work...

Now I gotta stop... But no I should pat them on the back for a great job of what??? Adding a couple of new art items here and there... while they work on some shard I'm supposed to waste my precious time on why???? so it can get wiped and we do it all over and over and over again. Nope... I have a lot of accounts and I've built far more characters than a person should... really don't care to be grinding up another one... even if I can move it to some other shard... cause certainly isn't going to fit on my home shard...

no just no...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When it stops taking days to get a GM response when you page at any time other than 9-5...
Mark that one off. I don't play 9 to 5. I had a GM show up at midnight central a few weeks ago. Like I said, Last night came in 20 minutes and fixed my issue.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do wonder how the "opt-in" PvP will work because it will need to be a balancing act. I'm not sure how the opt-in thing would work because pre-AOS playstyle was based on non-consensual attacks (aka killing miners etc) which actually made templates like thieves & murderers an actual "legacy" versus what we have now where not much can be stolen and being red is just a different shade of grey (no real reason to be red bc most people who WANT to fight have no problem flagging).

It's probably not the most popular idea but I wouldn't mind it being like it was pre-Tram in the sense that you are safe in guard zones but wondering outside could make you a target (and reds cannot go into town). That way your reputation of Despicable (aka your legacy/title) actually meant something if you were in town (likely a thief) and being red actually meant something and had consequences for praying on the good. It will certainly be interesting to see how they will "balance" it.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe (and it really is just a thought) that dungeons will be the only true non consent pvp areas (maybe a few others as well). So, sure you can go around and be safe from pks. But if you want to fight for the best items possible, you'll have to take the risk in dungeons.

Again, just my two cents.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
if its modeled after VvV, i am GUESSING you can be attacked anywhere, anytime if you opted in. if you didn't sign up for VvV then you can't be attacked except in 'red zones'.

i hope they do away with pardons. and bring back stat loss. it pisses me off when a blue pk's everyone in site with no consequence. today the blue turns red and eats a pardon 5 minutes later to turn blue again. the pk gets killed? he gets a rez and is right back at it. let him go into stat loss and make him work off the murder counts just like the old days.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
if its modeled after VvV, i am GUESSING you can be attacked anywhere, anytime if you opted in. if you didn't sign up for VvV then you can't be attacked except in 'red zones'.

i hope they do away with pardons. and bring back stat loss. it pisses me off when a blue pk's everyone in site with no consequence. today the blue turns red and eats a pardon 5 minutes later to turn blue again. the pk gets killed? he gets a rez and is right back at it. let him go into stat loss and make him work off the murder counts just like the old days.
Completely agree, the play style is a choice and choices come with both benefits and consequences.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If we simplify what they are saying ("bring back the nostalgia") it's really not that surprising what they are doing. We started with recycling ToT... then recycled invasion... then built a tool to help drop in recycled content like "treasures of" events or Krampus or Artisan fair... and then today they announce they are recycling old content from 20 years ago for sake of nostalgia. They don't want it to be a one trick pony so they are going to blow it up every X months so they can recycle it again. GOT YA!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I still think it's hilarious how the live stream went down though... literally admitting they hadn't used Skype before except yesterday (which is kind of sad being they are in the tech industry and haven't used it more than once during the pandemic). On top of that we had Bleak losing connection or timing out on his dial up connection and we had Messana or Misk (not sure which one) fumbling with muting their mic so there was an echo when Messana was talking... oh and then Messana muted herself for like 3minutes and nobody on her team even said anything. You cannot make this stuff up!!! I was dying laughing during most of it. Honestly for what it's worth Kyronix is the only one that seemed like he had his act together and was professional and prepared.
What's even more sad... The Tech industry is starting to abandon Skype, Microsoft is dropping the online version of Skype for Business next year. The Dev's are WAY behind the times on that.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What's even more sad... The Tech industry is starting to abandon Skype, Microsoft is dropping the online version of Skype for Business next year. The Dev's are WAY behind the times on that.
Microsoft Teams. It’s the way forward supposedly - just a pancake to get your head around if you’re used to Skype. Imagine our Dev team using a platform they were even less used to that Skype

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds interesting. I hope they'll release bit more concete info soon. FAQ leans quite heavily on buzzwords. Like..bringing back " original UO experience" and RPG-elements..what will this actually mean in practice?