• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online: New Legacy

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
it should be up now, they said so in the stream

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Q: What is Ultima Online: New Legacy?
Ultima Online reigns as one of the longest-running MMORPGs of all time! For 23 years countless players have forged a legacy in the living, breathing world that is Britannia. Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.

Q: What is an Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is a new server that launches with the original map of Britannia using a customized ruleset focused on a core RPG experience.

We have completely rethought, reworked, and redesigned several core gameplay experiences with the goal of rekindling the classic feel of Ultima Online – focused on keeping true to the roots of Ultima as an RPG!

At the core of this experience is your new Britannian Legacy. Throughout gameplay you will be living your avatar’s quests throughout Britannia with each adventure . Where will you go? What battles will you fight? Will you rejoice in victory or taste bitter defeat? What friends will you make? What enemies will you best? The choice will be yours as you forge your new Britannian Legacy – a legacy that will be told for generations to come!

Q: Is Ultima Online: New Legacy an Ultima Online Classic Shard?
There is no magic dial to turn back Ultima Online to a specific era. Times have changed and expectations have moved past what the landscape of MMORPGs was like in 1997 and beyond. So in short, no, this is not a 1:1 recreation of a classic UO server in any given era. What we have done, however, is to rekindle the magic and nostalgia that drives the core desire to experience a classic server. As we have stated, we have completely rethought, reworked, and redesigned several core gameplay experiences with the goal of rekindling the classic experience of Ultima Online – focused on keeping true to the roots of Ultima as an RPG!

Q: What are the core gameplay experiences you have rethought, redesigned, and reworked to rekindle the roots of Ultima Online as an RPG?
With a franchise that dates back to the 1970s, a game world that has been live since 1997, and over 85 years of combined game development experience on the team, we have seen and learned a thing or two! Our primary focus with Ultima Online: New Legacy has been to take that experience and apply lessons learned to create a new world where players can experience the classic nostalgia that has made Ultima Online a game like no other for over 20 years! We have expanded upon what works, redesigned what does not, and improved the game world as our technical limitations have expanded all while not being hindered by the limitations of an elder game world.

From the game world, to skill & gear progression, to resource gathering & crafting, to socializing & PvP we have strived to make gameplay as immersive and intuitive as possible.

At the heart of all these experiences is the goal of every character on Ultima Online: New Legacy – a chance to live your Britannian Legacy and forge your place in history for generations to come via the all-new Legacy System!

In the coming months we will be highlighting these features in our monthly newsletters, so signup if you have not already!

Q: What is the Legacy System?
The Legacy System is the engine by which you write your avatar’s story as they live their life in Britannia. Imagine writing a memoir, but instead of using words on a page after the experience has concluded you instead live those experiences in real time within the world to be seen by generations to come. Earn special commendations and medals for acts of Virtue, become the subject of epic tales found in libraries throughout the realm, be memorialized as a true Britannian hero with statues, paintings and busts and build a family name to be preserved for future generations of your avatar – all this and more will be possible with the Legacy System!

Q: What is different about Ultima Online: New Legacy versus live Ultima Online?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is a completely custom ruleset server. While the fundamentals of gameplay remain the same between a live server and Ultima Online: New Legacy the implementation of those fundamentals has been redesigned to focus on the roots of Ultima as an RPG.

At the conclusion of each season of Ultima Online: New Legacy the world will end in a cataclysmic event and will be reborn with fresh adventures to be had and a new legacy to be forged!

Q: How many Ultima Online New Legacy Shards will there be at launch and where will it be located?
There will be one Ultima Online: New Legacy shard at launch located in the US.

Q: Who is eligible? Do I have to pay to access Ultima Online: New Legacy or can I access it with an Endless Journey account?
Both active Endless Journey accounts and paid subscription (veteran) accounts will be able to access the Ultima Online: New Legacy.

Q: What will happen to the live game during development of Ultima Online: New Legacy?
We have spent the last several months rebuilding the back-end of our content tools so that we can release content while minimizing server publishes. These dynamic content tools will allow us to do global quests, “Treasures of” events, and Champ Spawns to support our upcoming Fall content schedule which includes The Black Gate, The Undead Lords, Forest of the Dark, and Tears of the Ice Dragon.

We will also continue to support the live game and address any critical issues as they arise.

Finally, some of the systems we are developing for Ultima Online: New Legacy will also have a place on live – which includes some often requested system enhancements. Be sure to sign up for the Ultima Online newsletter as we showcase these features in the coming months.

Q: What types of gameplay can I experience on an Endless Journey Account?
Endless Journey accounts will have similar restrictions to live UO. Additional restrictions will apply to content that is exclusively available to Ultima Online: New Legacy.

Q: Will there be housing?
There will be limited housing available for paid subscription (veteran) accounts which does not conflict with live UO housing. We will be taking a deeper dive into housing, and all features, in our upcoming newsletters – so signup if you have not already!

Q: Will you be releasing Ultima Online: New Legacy on other distribution platforms?
In order to enjoy Ultima Online: New Legacy you will simply need to download the client from UO.com and login to the game using your account credentials – it is as simple as that!

Q: When can I expect to play this shard?
At Broadsword we believe in quality in our games. We spend the time and resources to ensure our products are polished, tested, iterated, and smoothly launched. Ultima Online: New Legacy is our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade and we want to make sure we get it right – while we have a target release window in mind, our bigger and more important goal is getting it right and opening the shard when it is ready! You can stay up to date on our progress by signing up for the Ultima Online newsletter!

Q: Will there be rares? Server births?
There will be exclusive treasures to find on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard!

Q: What happens with the Shattering? Why should I spend any time on a shard that is going to ultimately reset all of my progress?
Ultima Online: New Legacy is about forging your new Britannian Legacy! While things like the economy and the game world will be reset during the Shattering, players will have an entire year to forge that legacy! In-game items and events will serve as mementos to that legacy that will be experienced by generations to come. This is your chance to write your character’s place into Britannia’s history!

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

Q: Will there be live events on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Live events will offer your avatar the ability to earn unique rewards and recognition, especially as you forge your new Britannian legacy! The global events will help tell the story and immerse you into the narrative as you follow the lifecycle of the shard from start to finish – the question then, is how will you be part of that story?

Q: Can I play the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard with both clients?
Yes. The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support both the classic and enhanced clients.

Q: Will I be able to purchase items from the Ultima Store on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard? What happens to these items after the Shattering?
Yes. There will be a limited number of store items available on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. Unless the purchased item is shard bound the item will be eligible for transfer after The Shattering.

Q: Will I be able to claim vet rewards on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard, what happens to these items after the shattering?
Players will not be able to claim veteran rewards on the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard.

Q: Will there be open-world PvP?
The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support open world Player vs Player combat using an updated Vice Vs Virtue framework.

Noobzilla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was all in when they announced a new shard but I was all out just as fast when they said the new shard will have a season duration and then it will go poof.

If it they change it to a persistent shard I would come back to UO in a second but until then, so close but yet so far away.

Almost had me back, almost.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Digowiz Thank you for posting the questions. The new shard is not for me but I think some will like it.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still waiting for the Big announcement that's gonna bring UO to " it's largest audience ever".....

...she really hasn't got a clue.

Worst part of the stream i think was directed specifically at me, when she said "she was never leaving" ......oh the horror!!!!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So Diablo 3 invades Sosaria?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh I just read it's PvP, I was actually interested up to that point. :(
The QA says
" The Ultima Online: New Legacy shard will support open world Player vs Player combat using an updated Vice Vs Virtue framework. "

If its using VvV, wont that mean you have to actually opt into the pvp?

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of games are using the season model now. But I don’t think this brings anyone new to the game. There aren’t enough details released for me to say if I’ll play it or not.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If they had made a new shard with only Trammel I might well have re-subbed, I'm still perplexed as to what it's all about to be honest, I don't get this cataclysmic event thing....I was heartbroken when they destroyed Haven! :(

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they had made a new shard with only Trammel I might well have re-subbed, I'm still perplexed as to what it's all about to be honest, I don't get this cataclysmic event thing....I was heartbroken when they destroyed Haven! :(
Basically the shard is going to be wiped(cataclysmic event) annually(I think). Your character will be transferred off with non-shard bound items to a normal production shard of your choosing, if it has a free slot.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope they realize that a lot of us would come back to UO if the new shard was persistent and didn't go "poof" after one year.

Plenty of time between now and then. Hopefully it changes but until then, I am still out.
It is a very popular game design. Many like games that start over after a season.

Noobzilla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is a very popular game design. Many like games that start over after a season.
Oh I know, doesn't mean I like it. When it comes to MMORPGs, character progression and community are king.

Those are both wiped out after a year, popular game design or not.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I was still hoping it might be something good.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It’s big in subscription based games, which this is. It could work if they go all out with it. Hopefully they include some old Shard of the Dead type stuff with it since it’s temporary. They can always make certain things shard bound so they won’t be transferred off later.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm so happy I was watching / listening to this on the tv app, so I could get up and wander around the house doing things. Would have been pretty disappointing to be sitting there for an hour with nothing really to be presented. Sounds like it's still in the developmental / brainstorming phase. Guess the only good thing is now is the time to hit them with questions and suggestions.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I personally am underwhelmed by the announcement. In my opinion, this announcement didn't warrant the hush hush, string them along approach they used. It's a single shard that gets wiped at the end of a year so a new one can be created.

While I might try it out for giggles, it's nothing I find exciting. As they put forth new information and more specifics, that might change. Guess we'll see.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
at first i was out.
shard getting deleted yearly.
but now that i sit and think on it.... a year is long time.
it all really depends on the content they put in during that year i guess.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i had such a hit of nostalgia when they played that opening video on the live stream.
all the toons wearing the same armor and wearing the same colored clothes.
that smacked of 1997/98!

and when was the last time you saw 20 guys in a group lumberjacking.... 1997/98

that sure brought back the old feels.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at first i was out.
shard getting deleted yearly.
but now that i sit and think on it.... a year is long time.
it all really depends on the content they put in during that year i guess.
I'm glad at this point that we still have a dev team and haven't lost any of its members. I think this idea will grow on people and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm hoping it turns out to be a "best of" type thing and it doesn't bother me to think it will be wiped after a year given that you'll be able to move the characters and some items somewhere else and keep them. I think there are some real possibilities with this idea and that each iteration has the potential to be better than the last one. Training new characters has never bothered me and has been something I still enjoy doing.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok, some things no one seems to have mentioned:

1. The season model DIRECTLY addresses one of the biggest problems in UO, namely, duped items. A shard that does not allow transfers in, only offers out, means that EVERYONE legitimately starts each season on a level playing field. For whatever reason, the team has not been able to stop the duped items, and even if they did, there are YEARS worth of duped items in our shards. This fixes that. Of course scripting could start on day one of the new season, but there won't be houses full of duped tokens. THIS IS A VERY GOOD THING.

2. As a long time Siege player I am not as worried about PK issues as prodo only folks. But they said VvV similar system. No need to completely dismiss the shard because of pvp concerns until we see the new rules.

3. Crafting is buffed here. A new shard that is legacy y very likely will either have no insurance or limited insurance. This would mean there is a bigger space for crafting, esp when there are not piles of duped artifacts available.

4. I play Path of Exile a lot, which uses a season system as well. The entire game is funded through cosmetics tied to each season. Yes, lots of people play a few weeks then quit until the next season. But the numbers are good enough that the game has a healthy (and much larger) development team than UO without a single dollar of subs riptions.

Chill the fck out people and be rational for a second. The no duped items alone makes this a win for me.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that it has taken them all year to announce the announcement of something that is still sort of a work in progress just shows how this "new" shard will be run.
As for Dupes.......give it a couple days open and the new shard will be filled with dupes too.
So many exploits still work in UO and even some that got "fixed" and were long forgotten about work. (ie the instant max skill exploit).
They cannot adequately run the shards they have, so introducing another with another different set of rules is only gonna add to the mess.

wrectangle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
they should pay attention to the free shards...
classic shards are the most popular and generally have high populations than OSI
custom shards are the least popular, and don't survive long

How lit does Messana have to be to think that taking the least popular free shard concept is the smartest decision to increase the UO population?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lolz yup im still alive !!!!
really play a year then poof....i rarely log into normal uo knowadays ...it will be for some... the ones that seem to play 24 hours a day but certainly not for me.....good effort but nooooo cigar

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I for one am very excited. At first....very disappointed, not gonna lie....but after I have had time to read and digest it's VERY cool!

Think about it...I remember when Origin first opened....there was nothing....we ran around like crazy killing stuff and selling horses to players at like 50g a pop so we could place a Luna house....brand new economy, everyone starts from the beginning. A whole new dynamic quest system, new and lasting interactions. Say Larisa does something super heroic over there and gets a statue that will be there forever...

AND once your character has gone through the *Season*, has gained notoriety, made a place for themselves in history and has gotten the spoils of their adventures, they can bring back the memories and mementos to a prodo shard. For NEW players it will be easier to compete and once they have an established character can populate the other shards without having to spend a fortune on gear.

I think it has great potential.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still waiting for the Big announcement that's gonna bring UO to " it's largest audience ever".....

...she really hasn't got a clue.

Worst part of the stream i think was directed specifically at me, when she said "she was never leaving" ......oh the horror!!!!
Well that last part is even worse than the "big announcement" itself.
Always found Mesanna to be one of the worst producers in UO history.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I admit I am pretty negative & very dissapointed after listening to the broadcast & reading the FAQ. So, basically this is aimed at those who want a "classic shard". But they are not giving them a classic shard - they are giving them the "feels" of a classic shard. And as a bonus it will basically be wiped in a year! But hey you will have a legacy (continued below)!

To top everything off the capstone of all this (in my opinion) is that instead of real persistent / stimulating content, they have totally given in the the narcissistic gaming culture with this (from the FAQ):

"The Legacy System is the engine by which you write your avatar’s story as they live their life in Britannia. Imagine writing a memoir, but instead of using words on a page after the experience has concluded you instead live those experiences in real time within the world to be seen by generations to come. Earn special commendations and medals for acts of Virtue, become the subject of epic tales found in libraries throughout the realm, be memorialized as a true Britannian hero with statues, paintings and busts and build a family name to be preserved for future generations of your avatar – all this and more will be possible with the Legacy System!"

This smacks of the entire Steam system where you get recognition/badges (that everyone else can see) for additional goals met in games so that you can brag about them. Personally those type systems make me want to puke. But a lot of people buy into it. A LOT of people.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like the fact that it is temporary. Basically we get a classic shard, BUT it isn't and has its own rules set. After it is gone , it is gone.

Why is there no improved new player experience for the production shards?

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This sounds fun.

Start at base level with nothing. Everyone has to fight, group up again or die.

Special Pixal crack to sell at the end of the year to simpletons, cool.

That might be worth while playing...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why is there no improved new player experience for the production shards?

It's simple really. They made a new quest engine and "dynamic" content generator. So they can quickly put out new cookie cutter content for the production players who will continue to sit in their houses staring at all the junk they collected thinking about how awesome they are and whining about how they never get anything new. While the devs devote all of their attention to this new project.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so, my screen during this live stream said there were just over one thousand people watching, and I'm guessing that most of that number were current UO players, so we're back at the same old thing... how're they getting all these 'new' players, wishing?

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so, my screen during this live stream said there were just over one thousand people watching, and I'm guessing that most of that number were current UO players, so we're back at the same old thing... how're they getting all these 'new' players, wishing?
I think it boils down to the one issue UO has had for as long as I Can remember, regardless of who's in charge, or who's on the team, despite repeated requests for X, Y and Z features or changes, they implement stuff no one has asked for and waste god knows how much of OUR money on it.

I seriously don't get it.

Thousands of players are actively playing on Pre AOS/Pub 16 and T2a shards and have been for a decade now, yet somehow amateurs are able to create these shards, from scratch, where as the professionals come back with the same excuses they always have done ("We don't have the code!" "We lost the tools!").
I can't say I ever remember reading a thread on here asking for a shard which isn't quite pre AOS and will be wiped after a year, but yet they've spent how many months and how much money on yet another pointless addition that won't bring in any new players.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I would for sure try this out. Just for fun.

The drive for new or returning players all depends on the marketing campaign which is put into place.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I can’t wait to build an old school tank mage and use the good old explosion/flame strike/halberd combo on some dude again!