• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ideal Sampire Build for Champ Spawns

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I've got a decently geared samp and finding that I can't solo champ spawns.

I'm wondering if there is an ideal build just for spawns (or certain spawns that are best to try)

My template:
Necro
Chiv
Bush
Weapon (fencing right now because i can get away with less stam and more life in my gear, but can switch to swords)
Parry
Tactic
Anat

I'm considering dropping tactics for healing. I only seem to die when I miss a few hits and get hit by spells at the same time. Seems like 60 heal bandages every 2 secs would allow me to survive and that would save me tons of time doing spawns.

I'm also riding an armored swamp dragon with exceptional armor. Seems like 1 armor set lasts the spawn.

My goal is to get in and out of fel spawns at off peak hours to sneak out some power scrolls, but dying slows it down a ton.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dont take tactics off it's very important to hit. You need resist and a whirlwind weap that has hit x area (depending on spawn type).

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The biggest problem with Fencing is there is only 1 single viable whirlwind weapon and even then, it's the barbed whip which you can't buy (less it's from a player vendor), nor can you craft them without the recipe. It's also 1 handed so it's lower damage and screws with your parry chance especially if you use a shield with it. Swords is optimal, mace fighting is workable.

On a side note, I really do wish they would revamp the weapons even if it was just making the special moves like masteries so they were not just fixed to one weapon. seeing 99.9999% of people running around with double axes and bladed staves becomes tiresome. There are soooo many smart looking weapons in the game that never see the light of day. Maybe it could be a crafting thing, like reforging one special move on a weapon to something else.

Anyway, I digress, fencing really is not optimal for champs.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I was thinking I can use maces for champ spawns. Any specific weapon and mods I should look for. ?

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I was thinking I can use maces for champ spawns. Any specific weapon and mods I should look for? Does the mace whip work ?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was thinking I can use maces for champ spawns. Any specific weapon and mods I should look for? Does the mace whip work ?
You need the correct slayers mixed with hit area effects on whirlwind weaps for spawn. Boss spam AI. This is why everybody uses double axes and blades staffs like above poster said.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I took resist off and put anatomy back on. I do just fine without resist.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Template should have Swords, Tactics, Bushido, Parry, Chivalry, Necromancy, Resist Spells. If you need healing on a Sampire template to stay alive or Anatomy to do more damage - you're not doing it right.

Perhaps you could switch up which Melee Weapon skill to use, but tough to be anything other than Swords. Should be 120, or 100 if you are using a Captain John's Hat. Tactics should also be 120 in order to do more damage and leach back more life. Necromancy should be 100 in order to keep up Vamp Form.

The other skills you can adjust to various levels, but they should all be present. Personally, I run with 120 Bushido, 100 Parry, 80 Chiv and 100 Resist Spells. You should be hitting hard enough and leaching enough life back to clear spawn and stay alive with that template and the right weapons/gear. I wouldn't suggesting going much lower than 70 on Chiv as you will begin to fail casting. You can adjust Bush/Parry/Resist according to your play style and particular needs. I also have a set of Jewels I will occasionally switch to which will boost my Resist Spells to 115, but only need to use that for certain encounters with alot of casters.

I've seen people successfully run some minor amount of Spirit Speak on this build, but I have never agreed with that school of thought and believe it takes away from the core skills I have noted above.

Last edited:

Turkish

Journeyman
The biggest problem with Fencing is there is only 1 single viable whirlwind weapon and even then, it's the barbed whip which you can't buy (less it's from a player vendor), nor can you craft them without the recipe. It's also 1 handed so it's lower damage and screws with your parry chance especially if you use a shield with it. Swords is optimal, mace fighting is workable.

On a side note, I really do wish they would revamp the weapons even if it was just making the special moves like masteries so they were not just fixed to one weapon. seeing 99.9999% of people running around with double axes and bladed staves becomes tiresome. There are soooo many smart looking weapons in the game that never see the light of day. Maybe it could be a crafting thing, like reforging one special move on a weapon to something else.

Anyway, I digress, fencing really is not optimal for champs.
I ran with a Fencer sampire for a while, and used the Kama as the WW wep. It was fine for many encounters, but swords are certainly superior.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I ran with a Fencer sampire for a while, and used the Kama as the WW wep. It was fine for many encounters, but swords are certainly superior.
Oops, yup, I missed the Kama. I've had that down as a mace, not sure how that happened. I stand corrected. :thumbup::grin:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'd argue that if you have chiv, you're not doing it right. But to each their own.
In the 20+ years I've been playing, I've never heard someone once say that about a Sampire. Consecrate Weapon, Divine Fury, Enemy of One, Remove Curse - pretty crucial spells to be used by a Sampire. For a boss fight, in addition to getting Honor, you should be keeping up Enemy of One as much as possible.

What are you replacing Chivalry with on your template?

In the 20+ years I've been playing, I've never heard someone once say that about a Sampire. Consecrate Weapon, Divine Fury, Enemy of One, Remove Curse - pretty crucial spells to be used by a Sampire. For a boss fight, in addition to getting Honor, you should be keeping up Enemy of One as much as possible.

I am guessing anatomy. Since I came back, anatomy seems to be the "new" thing folks are replacing chiv with. However, this is just my assumption/guess.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am guessing anatomy. Since I came back, anatomy seems to be the "new" thing folks are replacing chiv with. However, this is just my assumption/guess.
I think your mixing dragoon and sampires. Sampires need chiv.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Anatomy to maximize damage. I use reforged weapons for elemental damage, don't need DF, EOO is useless with double super slayer or single specific slayer, remove curse can be done with apples if you feel the need.
The only boss that you "need" EOO for is Neira and the Harrower. You can reach the damage modifier cap with slayers/honor on every other champ.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anatomy to maximize damage. I use reforged weapons for elemental damage, don't need DF, EOO is useless with double super slayer or single specific slayer, remove curse can be done with apples if you feel the need.
The only boss that you "need" EOO for is Neira and the Harrower. You can reach the damage modifier cap with slayers/honor on every other champ.
I agree :)
I wont say that chiv is useless, but who wants to press their concentrate key 3000 times during a champ spawn, when we have 100% elemental weapons? Same goes for divine fury.
Both 100% elemental weapons, and ssi is so easy to get.
I have both builds with and without chiv, and i use elemental weapons on both.
When i do niera on my samp with chiv, i dont use chiv before boss is up, same for divine fury, there really is no need for it. Kinda sad, but thats just how it is.
For group stuff, sure chiv is a must have, but anything else u solo and u get the honor, and there is a slayer for that encounter, hell no i pick anatomy any day for the extra damage.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My build
120 swords
120 tactics
120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Resist
100 Necro
20 Chiv

stats are:
str / hp 149 144
dex / stam 150 183
int / mana 27 89

20 SSI in suit 25 with town buff
100 DI 50 on weap 50 in suit
1250 luck to boot

Key is to have the right elemental slayer, something like this:

Double axe
Hit Fire Area 51
Hit Mana Leech 81
Hit Stam Leech 50
Repond Slayer
Fire Damage 100
Damage Increase 50

I could do without chiv entirely but ive been to lazy to change and put 20 skill points into something else. Its all about the weapon if your stats on your suit are right. I like having a couple plate pieces in the suit for stam protection because if your not swinging your dieing. Overall the suit is 45 LMC. Any champ can be solod in 25 to 30 minutes with the exception of a couple(those can take 40-45 minutes). The trick is just to use a hot key to open your paper doll while walking aroind in order to aggro the spawn. With Neira you will want a bladed staff with mana drain in addition to an undead double axe. Onslaught is your friend on Boss's. Its expensive and time consuming to get your suit like this but this build makes gold fast. All the weapons are similar except the slayer mod and damage type with the exception of the Neira Bladed staff. Building the suit is addictive but fun as hell. On a side note I would never go without resisting spells because even being parad for short times contribute to deaths when you have half a spawn on you.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I only run enough chivalry skill to cast sacred journey, remove curses and such. I don't need it for anything else. And I only run resist over anatomy if I'm doing a champ spawn solely for the reason if I get raided.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With Neira you will want a bladed staff with mana drain in addition to an undead double axe. Onslaught is your friend on Boss's. Its expensive and time consuming to get your suit like this but this build makes gold fast. All the weapons are similar except the slayer mod and damage type with the exception of the Neira Bladed staff. Building the suit is addictive but fun as hell. On a side note I would never go without resisting spells because even being parad for short times contribute to deaths when you have half a spawn on you.
I run hit lower attack and hit fatigue on my bladed staff for Rikktor. It helps quite a bit for slowing him down.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Thanks for all the input. I ended up going swords, tactics, parry, resist, bushido, necro, anat. I rarely used chiv after a while so I dropped it entirely.

I keep a 4x bard with me and disco him while running peace songs and rikktor still gets me kind of close to dead sometimes. Even with 149hp. The guy can really do some huge bursts of damage, but it’s an easy fight once it is set up.

I seem to lose the most time if I die so I keep resist and parry at 100 with 45DCI. Anat is at 80 for me and it is a decent damage boost. I don’t miss chiv at all.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for all the input. I ended up going swords, tactics, parry, resist, bushido, necro, anat. I rarely used chiv after a while so I dropped it entirely.

I keep a 4x bard with me and disco him while running peace songs and rikktor still gets me kind of close to dead sometimes. Even with 149hp. The guy can really do some huge bursts of damage, but it’s an easy fight once it is set up.

I seem to lose the most time if I die so I keep resist and parry at 100 with 45DCI. Anat is at 80 for me and it is a decent damage boost. I don’t miss chiv at all.
Do you spawn in fel on a shard that is active?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why do you run 45 dci?

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
i do 45DCI because i feel it helps me live during the spawn better when i am surrounded. i think that is debatable because i know people like to run lower for more counter attacks.

I normally only die when i'm surrounded by 20 mobs and I whiff on a hit, i think not getting hit helps me live long enough to get a second swing in before i die. would love to hear more from people who like lower dci. the boss fight is a piece of cake, i only die if i run in too aggressively because i wanna finish fast.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i do 45DCI because i feel it helps me live during the spawn better when i am surrounded. i think that is debatable because i know people like to run lower for more counter attacks.

I normally only die when i'm surrounded by 20 mobs and I whiff on a hit, i think not getting hit helps me live long enough to get a second swing in before i die. would love to hear more from people who like lower dci. the boss fight is a piece of cake, i only die if i run in too aggressively because i wanna finish fast.
I farted around with it for a pvp toon, I'd rather keep the dci.

I try to always keep the CA toggled on my sampire, but I don't see enough damage from the hits to warrant lowering dci. I should prolly make a better concerted effort to try this out.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Refine your suit, Will benefit you more to have ~ 75/75/75/75/80 (Elf) with 20% Dci than 70/70/70/70/75 with 45 Dci. Resists effect ALL damage where Dci only effects melee chance to be hit. Resists are also guaranteed Damage reduction vs Dci which is RNG.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ill jump in here,

iam running my samp since years and all my warriors (except pvp) are running 120 chiv to benefit fully from EOO and DF. thats makes a lot of room on the weapons and ensures that i always have max output.

at the moment iam running the following template.

120 Anatomoy / Resist (sometimes i swap it like at neira)
120 Swords
120 Tacs
120 Bush
90 + 30 Chiv (+ 30 on Jewel)
80 + 30 Parry (+ 30 on Jewel)
70 + 29 Necro (+ 29 on Jewel)

Suit is Refined to 75 75 75 75 80

150 HP
190 Stam
85 Mana

45 hci
19 dci (yes i know...)
100 DI
35 SSI which is enough for two handed axes and double axes

Cameos for Slayers

i have no SSI or DI on the Weapons so i can freely choose 5 mods to put on

i can use 100% leech forged weapons and not have to think about which kind of elemental i need due to Consecrate Weapon

works quite OK

planned improvements would be replacing some metal armor parts with studded to get lmc back to 55 (49 atm) but those pieces can get nasty in price.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Refine your suit, Will benefit you more to have ~ 75/75/75/75/80 (Elf) with 20% Dci than 70/70/70/70/75 with 45 Dci. Resists effect ALL damage where Dci only effects melee chance to be hit. Resists are also guaranteed Damage reduction vs Dci which is RNG.
I run 75/75/70/70/80 (Elf), 30% DCI on my Sampire. Cold and Poison damage is fairly rare, especially significant amounts of it.

i can use 100% leech forged weapons and not have to think about which kind of elemental i need due to Consecrate Weapon
You want 100% Elemental for Onslaught with Double Strikes from Double Axe. Onslaught would lower enemy Resist by -20 with your template, which Resist is determined by the damage type of your weapon, does not work with Consecrate Weapon.
For example, you could be using a 100% Physical Double Axe and hitting a 90/90/70/90/90 Rikktor (max resists Rikktor), using Con Wep to target his Cold Resist, but if you use Onslaught, you'll lower his Physical Resist by 20, down to 70. With a 100% Cold Double Axe, that Onslaught would lower his Cold Resist to 50.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I run 75/75/70/70/80 (Elf), 30% DCI on my Sampire. Cold and Poison damage is fairly rare, especially significant amounts of it.

You want 100% Elemental for Onslaught with Double Strikes from Double Axe. Onslaught would lower enemy Resist by -20 with your template, which Resist is determined by the damage type of your weapon, does not work with Consecrate Weapon.
For example, you could be using a 100% Physical Double Axe and hitting a 90/90/70/90/90 Rikktor (max resists Rikktor), using Con Wep to target his Cold Resist, but if you use Onslaught, you'll lower his Physical Resist by 20, down to 70. With a 100% Cold Double Axe, that Onslaught would lower his Cold Resist to 50.
yeah for onslaught i ofc use elemental weapons. there i dont use CW your explanation is 100% accurate here
but that depends on the enemy, i havent testet rikktor with double axe so i cant say if double strike or AI works better there.

other thing, for a while using cameo + slayer on wepp game more damage than alone on one of the two, is this still the case or was that fixed?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Personally, I am a fan of using the Bushido mastery. The passive is +15 Mana is more valuable to me than warrior's gift from Swords/Mace/Fence since I already have maxed out the benefits from that passive. The extra protection for Confidence provided by the Anticipate Hit mastery ability and the reduction of damage when using the War Cry mastery ability beef up your defensive stature a bit.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
ill jump in here,

iam running my samp since years and all my warriors (except pvp) are running 120 chiv to benefit fully from EOO and DF. thats makes a lot of room on the weapons and ensures that i always have max output.

at the moment iam running the following template.

120 Anatomoy / Resist (sometimes i swap it like at neira)
120 Swords
120 Tacs
120 Bush
90 + 30 Chiv (+ 30 on Jewel)
80 + 30 Parry (+ 30 on Jewel)
70 + 29 Necro (+ 29 on Jewel)

Suit is Refined to 75 75 75 75 80

150 HP
190 Stam
85 Mana

45 hci
19 dci (yes i know...)
100 DI
35 SSI which is enough for two handed axes and double axes

Cameos for Slayers

i have no SSI or DI on the Weapons so i can freely choose 5 mods to put on

works quite OK

planned improvements would be replacing some metal armor parts with studded to get lmc back to 55 (49 atm) but those pieces can get nasty in price.
So they have changed it so you can use rings to 99 for Necro? I thought it was real skill 99-100 Necro..

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have to keep the jewelry with the Necro on to maintain vamp form. If you take them off and drop below 99 you will lose vamp form.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I just switched to bushido mastery 3 after I maxed out my suit to no longer need warriors gift passive. I was alway using AI, so don’t need onslaught.

Do you notice a good boost from anticipated hit? I only ever die during very heavy parts of a spawn where I was over aggressive about aggroing

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I find that to be a great bonus. If you get hit while Confidence is active without it, there would normally be a penalty. This reduces that penalty and is especially during higher levels of spawns where there are alot of casters.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Any agreement on what parry to use? I have real parry 115, with a 115 scroll, and I wonder if 115 parry is necessary. I hear of folks using parry 60 for sampire.
This plus dropping the necro to 80 (99 with rings) would allow a lot of points to be put on Tactics to 115, and also Anatomy for more damage, vs more magic resist to get less intense curses, and blood oaths. Also Chiv is down to 50-60 and likely would be better higher.
What is most people's agreement on parry?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Any agreement on what parry to use? I have real parry 115, with a 115 scroll, and I wonder if 115 parry is necessary. I hear of folks using parry 60 for sampire.
This plus dropping the necro to 80 (99 with rings) would allow a lot of points to be put on Tactics to 115, and also Anatomy for more damage, vs more magic resist to get less intense curses, and blood oaths. Also Chiv is down to 50-60 and likely would be better higher.
What is most people's agreement on parry?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Parry is the one skill everyone has on their template - but arguments will be made for having it anywhere from 60 to 120. There is no one school of thought on this one.

A more offensive sampire will have 60 Parrying, assuming that they have enough skill points across the rest of their template to qualify for the Lower Mana Cost bonus (see description here: Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia ). If you don't have the 300+ skill points necessary for the bonus, you should adjust one of your skills accordingly.

At the moment, I run 100 Parry on my sampire. I feel that is the sweet spot. I note that I will be increasing to 120 after acquiring a high end clean bracelet with some skill point bonuses that will allow me to move around some points.

Personally, I prefer a defensive sampire and put a premium on my ability to survive - whether it be a PVP raid or higher level spawns and bosses. I also have Resist on my template, whereas someone who wants more offense would likely have Anatomy. Some folks will argue that you can eat apples and use Remove Curse from Chiv instead of using Resist Spells. Others have a minimum amount of Chivalry on their template as they do not need it to hit the damage cap. All depends on your playstyle.

Another helpful tool is the Parrying calculator - see here: UO Stratics - Parrying

Do you have more specifics on the rest of your skill breakdown?

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I ran some quick calculations here for reference. I assume atleast 150 Dex and 120 Bushido for all. Screen captures posted below:

At 60 Parrying and 120 Bushido:
1599590177392.png

At 100 Parrying and 120 Bushido:
1599590219432.png

At 120 for both Parrying and Bushido - and the formula:
1599590254520.png

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Tyvm for info. I will see if can leave Parry at 115, and just boost Tact to 115 and Chiv to 80-85 with tings and see how this works.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Is it fair to say that the biggest upgrade to clearing out the spawn for most spots is adding a cameo to your slayer weapon?

you normally need a greater slayer on your spawn weapon, but no one can run EEO or perfection for the spawn waves.

So best way to reach 300 modifier cap during spawn waves is to use greater slayer weapon and cameo to hit 300% max modfier

@Merlin i recall you posted that you run full cameos. is this the main reason? i assume stacking greater slayer on weapon and cameo is by far the biggest damage gain when clearing out the spawn waves

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is it fair to say that the biggest upgrade to clearing out the spawn for most spots is adding a cameo to your slayer weapon?

you normally need a greater slayer on your spawn weapon, but no one can run EEO or perfection for the spawn waves.

So best way to reach 300 modifier cap during spawn waves is to use greater slayer weapon and cameo to hit 300% max modfier

@Merlin i recall you posted that you run full cameos. is this the main reason? i assume stacking greater slayer on weapon and cameo is by far the biggest damage gain when clearing out the spawn waves
1601483869861.png

The HCI, SSI, DI - I need those for my build. HPR and Str help too. If you're not equipping Cameo - what are you running?

I have been able to get through spawns without much issue without needing to run double slayers for max damage. If you have high enough base damage and damage modifiers, I don't think you need to squeeze out every point to get to the max in both of those categories in order to complete spawns easily. I do have double slayers for a few of the spawn bosses, but I am already carrying alot of weapons and don't feel it necessary to have a greater slayer weapon for nearly each level of every spawn. By all means - I know that it is helpful and I do have a couple (Spider spawn in particular), but I feel like I would need to compromise another mod somewhere else in order to do that. Just a personal playstyle preference.

I have been experimenting a bit more with replacing Chiv with Anat, so that's been my most recent focus of my sampire build.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I highly recommend dropping chiv and picking up anat for spawning. It is a wasted skill for most spawns and the bump to base damage from anat is well worth it.

The main reason for chiv is for bosses that have no slayer vulnerabilities and I believe only Neira would falls into that category. (And 2 out of 4 roof bosses. I go 120 chiv for roof.)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I highly recommend dropping chiv and picking up anat for spawning. It is a wasted skill for most spawns and the bump to base damage from anat is well worth it.

The main reason for chiv is for bosses that have no slayer vulnerabilities and I believe only Neira would falls into that category. (And 2 out of 4 roof bosses. I go 120 chiv for roof.)
Chiv is also used for the Khal Ankur Champ Spawn in Khaldun. The first two levels have Skeletons that are immune to all but one Element depending on their color (so Con Wep is practically a must there), and Khal Ankur himself doesn't have a Slayer.