• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Macroers and Houses

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She could have been that rational sounding in the first place.
I don't think I would have believed it then and I do not believe it now.

Happy Thanksgiving !! :)
You can always cover your Turkey with that hat you wear.
Happy Thanksgiving !

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So as long as they are not scripting in a house everything is just fine? Resources can be put in a bank box as well, just saying! Unattended macroing to raise skills can also be done in a secluded area, especially on dead shards

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
So as long as they are not scripting in a house everything is just fine? Resources can be put in a bank box as well, just saying! Unattended macroing to raise skills can also be done in a secluded area, especially on dead shards
Quit the stupid drama. None of this is about that. Seriously

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as they pay for all accounts. This is all just about EJ when they say it only recently became a problem.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the numbers showing the sudden 'huge problem' were made up, it all seems a bit odd and convenient, there has not been a steady rise in numbers, only that sudden huge jump.....Scripting and cheating were rife long before EJ started, the EJ players are now a convenient scapegoat, Messana herself said EJ accounts would be banned immediately, no warning, the bulk of the cheaters are still on paid accounts. They know they are much less likely to get banned, because they need the paid subs.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it just has to be said...

As long as people like “Avatar” are allowed to openly and consistently flaunt the ToS, any talk of banning house owners for skill macroing in private “for the good of the game” is blowing smoke.

IMO, the focus should be on scripting and ToS violations like advertising RMT sites, script farming mobs, multi boxing events, IDOCs, etc... not what some skill person is doing in his house.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Everyone, Keep in mind this is not a change to the TOS, this is a change as to how we will handle macroers from this point forward. In case you haven’t read the newsletter for the past few months the numbers being banned are rising and we feel are out of control. Scripting/macroing needs to stop and this is the step in doing that . So this is how it will be handled in the future by the GM’s. This is not to punish the innocent but to catch the cheaters. Moving forward, we are going to start noting […]

Continue reading...
If you really wanted to cut down on scripting - then limit the amount of goods any account can acquire in a day. After lumberjacking 2,000 boards you can't lumberjack anymore for another day. That would cut it down drastically. That and keeping endless journey accounts from acquiring resources.

Again - rethink your systems and you wouldn't have to chase scripters.

Endless journey has NOT brought back players and only really caused existing players to open a bunch of accounts. Another epic fail.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it just has to be said...

As long as people like “Avatar” are allowed to openly and consistently flaunt the ToS, any talk of banning house owners for skill macroing in private “for the good of the game” is blowing smoke.

IMO, the focus should be on scripting and ToS violations like advertising RMT sites, script farming mobs, multi boxing events, IDOCs, etc... not what some skill person is doing in his house.
Good ol 'Avatar' must be connected to the Dev team. Thats the only explanation for how only one person is able to blatently span general chat on all shards, all days, with no repercussions.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good ol 'Avatar' must be connected to the Dev team. Thats the only explanation for how only one person is able to blatently span general chat on all shards, all days, with no repercussions.
Not only that, go check out his websight, it's a complete ripoff of intellectual property rights, there's no way BS/Mesanna doesn't know about that site and greenlighted it a long time ago.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They could kill scripting by putting in some sort of "minigame" that you have to perform to continue... If you mine for more than say 5 min then all of the sudden something pops up randomly that you have to do to continue... if you lumberjack for more than 5 min then once again something pops up you have to do...

And they should have something that flags them if an account is running more than 16 hours in a day... anything more than that ought to flag them to send out a GM to have a look at what is going on. Especially if it happens more than 1 day... Sure some folk might play that much... but a normal person does sleep. Yes the GMs would then check up on some folk who aren't cheating or running bots but more often than not I'm fairly sure they would find a TON of bots this way.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
oh boy...

alone from some posts here i sadly have the strong feeling that most people have no idea how far good scripts go and they would be shocked to see them in action (really "seeing" not just "assuming")

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you really wanted to cut down on scripting - then limit the amount of goods any account can acquire in a day. After lumberjacking 2,000 boards you can't lumberjack anymore for another day. That would cut it down drastically. That and keeping endless journey accounts from acquiring resources.

Again - rethink your systems and you wouldn't have to chase scripters.

Endless journey has NOT brought back players and only really caused existing players to open a bunch of accounts. Another epic fail.
No offense intended, but there are trees out there where you can STILL get upwards of 1000 LOGS. Tram and Fel Have a great day. Keep putzing.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no btw did you ever get "paperdoll" to work??
I forgot to even try lol... I'm like 300k away from vollem crystal. Juat gonna bang that out a while lol

As for the trees. I've never come across one that plentiful. 1k plus

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot to even try lol... I'm like 300k away from vollem crystal. Juat gonna bang that out a while lol

As for the trees. I've never come across one that plentiful. 1k plus

Most logs I've ever got from one tree is 240. Years ago I heard about these mythological super trees but in 15 years plus of regular lumberjacking I've never found one.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Its known but can be known again west tree in delucia just north of dungeon entance is an almost endless tree on all shards. You get like 8 resource spots in one so just whack away.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its known but can be known again west tree in delucia just north of dungeon entance is an almost endless tree on all shards. You get like 8 resource spots in one so just whack away.
I'll have to check it out, thx.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That explains the trees. I remember YEARS ago being able to do stuff like that plus a few Extras to the standard client.

I tried EC, just sont like what it does to terrain and character looks etc.
you can strip the trees in CC, just have to change the uo.cfg file to say "Canopy=off" on the line that will say "canopy=on" IIRC

**my apologies, the line is "TreeCanopies=off"

Last edited:

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can strip the trees in CC, just have to change the uo.cfg file to say "Canopy=off" on the line that will say "canopy=on" IIRC

**my apologies, the line is "TreeCanopies=off"
I might have to give the EC it's fair shake then if you can actually edit some of those variables.

Admittedly I tried it and made an opinion of it I think 6.months after its initial release.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I might have to give the EC it's fair shake then if you can actually edit some of those variables.

Admittedly I tried it and made an opinion of it I think 6.months after its initial release.
you have to stick with it. I used to jump back and forth on clients but when i deleted the CC to force myself, I have not been able to go back to the CC since.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have to stick with it. I used to jump back and forth on clients but when i deleted the CC to force myself, I have not been able to go back to the CC since.
Ya. But that's the thing. U had to force yourself to do it. Even to this day, theres gotta be some stuff you dont like, which I'd imagine is variables you can pronably.turn off lol

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya. But that's the thing. U had to force yourself to do it. Even to this day, theres gotta be some stuff you dont like, which I'd imagine is variables you can pronably.turn off lol
at this point, I like everything about it. in the beginning it was just the graphics that made me not like it, i quit caring that they were different because the functionality and smoothness of the client are the most important to me.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Man.. every time I think about returning I see more stuff like this.

Actioning people for activities happening in a space that they allowed "game friends" access to is so insanely ridiculous it's not even funny. I have many "friends" in UO. You guys have pushed for years to get the community less solo based, and here you go with a change that will turn everyone into paranoid hermits. I understand many people use EJ accounts and train them in their main houses or whatever, but I bet it pales in comparison to the number of people who innocently add friends and guild members to their houses. They obviously do not intimately know these people, but have a basic affiliation with them in UO and as such have added them to make use of community space or guild resources. This is the whole reason behind being able to have multiple security settings for your storage.

My game time in this game over the past 3 years has been minimal to non-existent. However, I have several houses across a few servers in which I have added guild members to make use of for potions or repair deeds or whatever. So this means that even though I have not been playing in months/years if any of those people decided to macro something repeatedly in one of my houses I will be banned and/or my account noted? In other words, I will be banned from being a good guildmate and opening my doors to people to build a sense of community?

There are not enough facepalm memes in the internets to express the level of insanity this action/threat really is.

So now I get to decide if I want to clear my friend lists, make my houses private, remove all guild members and sense of community... Or if I just wanna say to hell with it and wait for a ban for actions I had no part in.

Say goodbye to community houses and guild houses. So sad....

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Indeed,
They should have listened to Chicken Little all along :lick:

At the very least, 8 more accounts are closing. No sense paying to keep guild and friend houses up if I can be actioned for other peoples actions :rolleyes2:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still don't understand their thinking anyway.
All this commotion, not many people were pissing and moaning about someone being in the house macroing a skill.

The problem is scripters... and they don't know the difference, evidently.
Scripters and multiboxers... maybe someone can go to the official boards, and typing real slow, explain it to them?

Who really cares at all if someone is standing in a house macroing spirit speak, or whatever.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way I read it and correct me if I'm wrong is that if someone is using a macro/script unattended that is using a house to dump resources then that's bad. Soo let's say they're chopping trees then recalling to house to dump logs then recalling out to chop more logs then recall back to house to dump logs and continue until they're caught.

Is that what they're talking about? I doubt they're after someone macroing spirit speak in a house because you can probably do that anywhere. Heck if you're doing that in town in an inn they won't ban the inns owners! Hehe

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way I read it and correct me if I'm wrong is that if someone is using a macro/script unattended that is using a house to dump resources then that's bad. Soo let's say they're chopping trees then recalling to house to dump logs then recalling out to chop more logs then recall back to house to dump logs and continue until they're caught.

Is that what they're talking about? I doubt they're after someone macroing spirit speak in a house because you can probably do that anywhere. Heck if you're doing that in town in an inn they won't ban the inns owners! Hehe
Posters like to make up scenarios that will not happen. None of our public houses are being closed on LS.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is better to be overdramatic and safe than careless and actioned/banned imo.

It took our team a significant amount of time to understand the difference between multi-boxing and using multiple accounts. I am quite sure the determination between homeowner and his/her associated scripting accounts vs guild-members and friends/aquantiances will be even more tricky.

Any threat of action (especially super vague and cryptic threats) against YOUR account for the actions of OTHER accounts possibly not even owned by you should be taken very seriously. That is a line no game should cross.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What you are describing is scripting, and if that's what they meant then that should be what they said.

As always, the communication from this crew is abysmal and their CS would get them fired anywhere but UO...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EJ accounts can't open any containers in a house even if they have guild access or set to anyone. They can't add to locked down stacks either. Only paid accounts can do the resources in a box or stack. Maybe they're after the main accounts instead of just repeat banning of the bot accounts? Mesanna did say skills in the latest newsletter too.

Here's why I think you're foolish to have complete confidence in the system. You can open an EJ account using a false name and false email. Since there is no email verification of any kind you can just enter anything and go play. Combine that with a vpn and you too can have your very own troll account. If say I didn't like Giggles, I could put a few of these EJ accounts in her public house to macro until I'm caught over and over and over. If they can't figure out who I am and it's only happening in HER house they'll eventually decide and sanction her. We've all had an experience with some of the absolute trash that plays this game. Still confident now?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is better to be overdramatic and safe than careless and actioned/banned imo.

It took our team a significant amount of time to understand the difference between multi-boxing and using multiple accounts. I am quite sure the determination between homeowner and his/her associated scripting accounts vs guild-members and friends/aquantiances will be even more tricky.

Any threat of action (especially super vague and cryptic threats) against YOUR account for the actions of OTHER accounts possibly not even owned by you should be taken very seriously. That is a line no game should cross.
As of a Month or so ago they obviously still do not understand the difference between multi clients and multi box. And that is all I am going to say about that weird experience.