• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

so.... this years Halloween event (pub 106) ???

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
RL is super busy so i have not had much time to read up on the upcoming publish but i did take a minute to read the newsletter today and the publish notes for Pub 106 and i have a question about the Halloween event for this year.

historically the Halloween events have been in a dungeon (or some sort) and you kill stuff and you get a chance of getting a drop of armor or weapons for that dungeons 'theme' (Kotl, Doom, Cult) which, and ill admit it, i REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY liked!!!!
as a set collector i really enjoyed making sets of armor in the current theme.

but this year..... no dungeon..... no theme stuff to collect?
wha.......

and this years event you need to kill Corgul, Scalis, and Charybdis???
SOLO?????

so no just logging in and killing some time doing a quick dungeon kill of low end stuff, you need to plan a day and get a group and go kill some of the big bosses in the water?

im not really feeling that.
what happens if my guild mates are not around and i am?
im not the social butterfly i once was!

i kinda like being able to take my lunch break and work and go into a dungeon and farm some stuff.
i dont see that happening with this event, unless im missing something???

am i missing something???

Pub 105 notes

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They did mention a mini event in Blackthorns dungeon. Maybe pirate themed drops? Think of it "a tricorn hat of the dread pirate" Hmmmmmmm.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one am not buying an expansion that I will never use just to participate in an event. LOL.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you actually need High Seas? Why are people acting as if you need it to participate?

1. Get the Soulbinder crafted by someone else
2. Kill mobs which are soulbound (Which I imagine dont require High Seas to kill. I mean, you can kill Scalis without High Seas)

Do you need High Seas to use a Ethereal Soulbinder?

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every year i look forward to collecting the armor and weapons that drop during the Halloween event, Well up until this year apparently... Very disappointed

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could tie the store items into the event. Make High Seas half price until Oct 31st. But EA does not give discounts to UO on Origin.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
strange, no where in there did i see anything about which dungeon is being invaded or which one will have the loot drop.... all im seeing is you need to soulbind the bosses from High Sea's.
again, not really a solo thing for 99.9% of the players i would imagine.
Discuss it on the UO Forums. They could add armor drops on whatever we are killing. Let us turn them in at Khaldun or Sorcs.

I read that they were closing off Blackthorns for this years dungeon.
Must be my: upload_2019-8-29_19-23-55.png

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All Rising Tide creatures, including Corgul, Scalis, and Charybdis can have their souls bound into ethereal soulbinders.
Reading is fundamental.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Discuss it on the UO Forums. They could add armor drops on whatever we are killing. Let us turn them in at Khaldun or Sorcs.

I read that they were closing off Blackthorns for this years dungeon.
Must be my: View attachment 101400
Yeah you read that wrong...that's for part of the Arc..not for Halloween....as far as I read it...

• As part of the continuing event arc, Blackthorn’s dungeon has become obstructed and will become home to a mini-quest having to do with the arc.

I am not thrilled about the items needed to kill the soulbound creatures...but it doesn't say that the soulbound creatures are limited to dungeons so I assume they can be found anywhere??

I haven't logged into the game in many many months so I have no idea :)

I am always looking forward to Halloween content....not so much this year :( At least it will help with my house cleaning efforts lol..no new stuff to collect YAY!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kinda sad since both corgul and charybdis are timered mobs... You can turn in a map and Corgul could have already been spawned and you are SoL...

But doesn't matter @Dot_Warner Seeing as most people aren't going to be able to do those three encounters... Most of this stuff is geared to those who can play 24/7... the rest of the people once again who play casually aren't going to have time to go mining sand all day so they can do a few short encounters and stuff... for a 20 min encounter where most that time is spent sailing around looking for something to kill... to spend 4 hours again preparing to do another 20 min of "fun"... to get turn ins.

Sounds like a pain. Especially if you have to craft 1 of these per each turn in .... that's 20 sand and 5 etherial sand for each and every thing you kill.... again... 4 hours of prep work for your 15 min of sailing and one encounter... say you do a beacon... that's needing 8 of those plus another 8 or more for the other crap that spawns with it.. that's 16 you need... that's 320 sand plus 80 etherial... for just 1 encounter... and per person... With time spent to mine, craft, prepare... if you wanted to do say 3 beacons that would be 960 Sand, 240 etherial sand, time energy and effort for an hour of farming. You'll spend 4x that gathering and preparing... Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, these devs don't play the game. They seriously think we're all out farming Charybdis.
I dont understand your comment. They are adding drops to Charybdis to actually make it worth doing. Wouldnt that mean they DO know the game, and know that currently there is absolutely nothing worth getting from that boss?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yeah you read that wrong...that's for part of the Arc..not for Halloween....as far as I read it...

• As part of the continuing event arc, Blackthorn’s dungeon has become obstructed and will become home to a mini-quest having to do with the arc.

I am not thrilled about the items needed to kill the soulbound creatures...but it doesn't say that the soulbound creatures are limited to dungeons so I assume they can be found anywhere??

I haven't logged into the game in many many months so I have no idea :)

I am always looking forward to Halloween content....not so much this year :( At least it will help with my house cleaning efforts lol..no new stuff to collect YAY!
The information they provided us, does not explain "soulbound" creatures or otherwise very well, and soulboud statuette? Anyone with any ideas?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I dont understand your comment. They are adding drops to Charybdis to actually make it worth doing. Wouldnt that mean they DO know the game, and know that currently there is absolutely nothing worth getting from that boss?
They don't know the game as they would know that Charybdis has a VERY LONG timer... so doing that encounter you will have very few opportunities to get squat from it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Incase you didn't know per UOGuide: Charybdis is a sea monster that can be summoned by using a special spyglass called the Oracle of the Sea and a special fish bait. The summoning is limited to once every seven hours per shard. although the Oracle can only generate a new one if the previous isn't raised correctly once every 24 hours.

So unless you are in the group that actually does the encounter the "first" time... you will have ZERO clue when the next opportunity to summon it is... and waste hours planning to do it only to have it done already and you be Out of Luck for several hours... that's ONE encounter basically per shard per "normal play hours" as in Prime time... So if some other guild does a Charybdis you and all your friends won't be doing it that day. And how do you know it's already been done... Well, you don't.... just like the maps for doing Corgul... You can turn one in 20 seconds after another group has already spawned and killed it and you will get a map to their already done island. Sucks to be you.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They don't know the game as they would know that Charybdis has a VERY LONG timer... so doing that encounter you will have very few opportunities to get squat from it.
Considering Charybdis isn't temporary content, I don't see the problem.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The information they provided us, does not explain "soulbound" creatures or otherwise very well, and soulboud statuette? Anyone with any ideas?
I clearly have no idea. But,

All Rising Tide creatures, including Corgul, Scalis, and Charybdis can have their souls bound into ethereal soulbinders.

So there will be more creatures. Maybe anything that dropped a crate will fill soulbinders.

I cant believe there is no dungeon. :(

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not thrilled about the items needed to kill the soulbound creatures...
@Larisa

What do you mean by that ?

Are we supposed to use some "special items" in order to kill the Rising Tide Creatures and then bound their Souls to the Soulbounding Crystal Ball ?

What are these items ?

And, by the way, what does it mean "Rising Tide" Creatures ?

Are these "Rising Tide" creatures the same as all High Seas creatures ? Are they just a "sub-set" of the High Seas Creatures ?

From reading the Publish notes, it looks like Corgul, Scalis, and Charybdis are for sure "Rising Tide" Creatures but there is MORE creatures referred to as "Rising Tide" creatures....

I imagine, for those players not skilled enough or with the necessary high end gear to face Corgul, Scalis, and Charybdis to STILL be able to accumulate points towards Forsaken Foes Rewards....

Question is, WHICH are these "other" Rising Tide creatures ?

I could find no list nowhere....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a pain. Especially if you have to craft 1 of these per each turn in .... that's 20 sand and 5 etherial sand for each and every thing you kill.... again... 4 hours of prep work for your 15 min of sailing and one encounter... say you do a beacon... that's needing 8 of those plus another 8 or more for the other crap that spawns with it.. that's 16 you need... that's 320 sand plus 80 etherial... for just 1 encounter... and per person... With time spent to mine, craft, prepare... if you wanted to do say 3 beacons that would be 960 Sand, 240 etherial sand, time energy and effort for an hour of farming. You'll spend 4x that gathering and preparing... Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I do not follow you.

Where does that "math" you point out to in your post comes from ?

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the Ethereal Sand comes ONLY from killing Corgul and a LIMITED quantity (per account) purchased from the Mining Cooperative.

Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes – Ultima Online

• Ethereal Sand can be collected from Corgul the Soulbinder upon his death

• Limited quantities of Ethereal Sand can be purchased from the Mining Cooperative in Minoc

• Quantities are limited by account

• The Mining Cooperative vendor will restock anytime Corgul is defeated
How did you come up with calculating that "prep time" when we do not know how quickly the ethereal sand will be restocked at the Mining Cooperative in Minoc ?

You also mention that players will need to take down 8 Beacons plus other 8 Beacons (16 beacons total ?) and that would make it necessary 320 sand and 80 ethereal sand ? To kill 18 Beacons ?

That I know of, there is no need neither for sand nor ethereal sand to go shoot and take down a Plunder Beacon....

I am lost and do not quite follow you.... could you please explain ?

Thanks.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Incase you didn't know per UOGuide: Charybdis is a sea monster that can be summoned by using a special spyglass called the Oracle of the Sea and a special fish bait. The summoning is limited to once every seven hours per shard. although the Oracle can only generate a new one if the previous isn't raised correctly once every 24 hours.
At the Oracle of the Sea - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Link, it says :

You can have multiple Charybdis active at the same time, if you have multiple Oracles; but each Oracle can only place once, and each spot is tied to the Oracle that places it. The Charybdis will be placed on the same Sub-Server upon which you first successfully use the Oracle, so you can to some extent manipulate roughly where he will appear. However, if you use it on any other facet, or on a Sub-Server where it cannot find enough legitimate deep sea water (around Cove for instance) it will fail:

"The spyglass goes dark, it has failed to find what you seek."
It also mentions...

The Charybdis location is good for 1 day and locating the monster initially consumes a charge on the Oracle which can be brought back by using Fish Oil. The Oracle will not consume further charges until Charybdis' current location expires, but will repeat the co-ordinates when used. There does not appear to be a limit for how many times you can feed it fish oil for recharging the Oracle back to 5/5 charges. Once the timer expires, if you try and fish the previous spot you will see this message instead of tentacle related fun;

"The Charybdis has moved on from this location, consult the Oracle Of The Seas again."
The Oracle can be Insured, as can the bait, which considering what can happen at sea, you should seriously consider doing.
My understanding is, that not only multiple Charybdis summoned by players at the same one time, but each of those independent locations, lasts 1 day and multiple Charybdis can be summoned at that one location (as well as at the other concurrent locations elsewhere on that shard) until the "timer expires" which is when the player will get the message that "The Charybdis has moved on from this location, consult the Oracle Of The Seas again."

I am not sure where you are getting this only 1 Charybdis every 7 hours per Shard.... from reading that Link I get a completely different understanding, multiple Charybdis on a Shard and at each individual location, multiple Charybdis can be fished up until that location's timer expires giving the message that Charybdis has moved away from that location...

Am I understanding it all wrong ?

Anyone with experience in fishing Charybdis knows precisely how it works ?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do not follow you.

Where does that "math" you point out to in your post comes from ?

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the Ethereal Sand comes ONLY from killing Corgul and a LIMITED quantity (per account) purchased from the Mining Cooperative.

Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes – Ultima Online

How did you come up with calculating that "prep time" when we do not know how quickly the ethereal sand will be restocked at the Mining Cooperative in Minoc ?

You also mention that players will need to take down 8 Beacons plus other 8 Beacons (16 beacons total ?) and that would make it necessary 320 sand and 80 ethereal sand ? To kill 18 Beacons ?

That I know of, there is no need neither for sand nor ethereal sand to go shoot and take down a Plunder Beacon....

I am lost and do not quite follow you.... could you please explain ?

Thanks.
Well it says you need to craft the soulbinder to capture souls .... ie to turn in for the rewards for the event... 1 soulbinder per soul... so killing mobs ie the stuff that spawns on the sea ie the content we've been doing all along getting the chests and all we will also be killing to bind souls to get rewards to turn in..... HENCE the Prep time and all the sand mining to get the stuff to make the soulbinder...... read the patch notes...

YOu can buy the Etherial sand... limited amounts per Corgul being killed however you won't know when corgul has been killed..... you are limited in getting that..... pity the people with only 1 active account..... but the 20 other normal sand you need you'll need to mine... you need 5 etherial sand which you can BUY.... this means have money..... pity the poor and new players...

Which I don't know about you but how many players even have a Mempo of Fortune? Not like those have spawned in YEARS... Yes they are butt ugly .... but they aren't something people have in abundance...

But whatever. Each soul you turn in needs a soulbinder from what I gather....... don't know what you read.... but these are your turn ins to get the halloween event rewards hello..... so spend hours crafting this crap so you can spend a few min getting points. Doesn't sound fun to me....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it says you need to craft the soulbinder to capture souls .... ie to turn in for the rewards for the event... 1 soulbinder per soul... so killing mobs ie the stuff that spawns on the sea ie the content we've been doing all along getting the chests and all we will also be killing to bind souls to get rewards to turn in..... HENCE the Prep time and all the sand mining to get the stuff to make the soulbinder...... read the patch notes...

YOu can buy the Etherial sand... limited amounts per Corgul being killed however you won't know when corgul has been killed..... you are limited in getting that..... pity the people with only 1 active account..... but the 20 other normal sand you need you'll need to mine... you need 5 etherial sand which you can BUY.... this means have money..... pity the poor and new players...

Which I don't know about you but how many players even have a Mempo of Fortune? Not like those have spawned in YEARS... Yes they are butt ugly .... but they aren't something people have in abundance...

But whatever. Each soul you turn in needs a soulbinder from what I gather....... don't know what you read.... but these are your turn ins to get the halloween event rewards hello..... so spend hours crafting this crap so you can spend a few min getting points. Doesn't sound fun to me....
What if 1 Soulbinder can store MULTIPLE Souls ?

I did not seem to understand, from the notes, that we'll need 1 Soulbinder per Creature... I was actually understanding that it would be 1 Soulbinder Crystal capable to hold MANY Souls inside of it....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What if 1 Soulbinder can store MULTIPLE Souls ?

I did not seem to understand, from the notes, that we'll need 1 Soulbinder per Creature... I was actually understanding that it would be 1 Soulbinder Crystal capable to hold MANY Souls inside of it....
From my understanding you'll need 1 soulbinder per soul... My characters already carry a crap ton of stuff... I am not really too pleased about the concept of having to run around with a mass of extra items in my pack...

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I admit I will miss an event that gave us the awesome jack in the box. As for this one I have no idea what is still hidden. Thing is we can ride in a pumpkin rowboat! Imagine the possibilities!, RP or just for fun. I am impressed with the idea and the art. Ty team.
Llamas floating down the river in a pumpkin! Ha! ty! (live ones)

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO, it's insane to have to get in a boat to get the recipe for the new power items. Kinda like the green slugs, I said I'm not getting in a boat for this garbage idea. ALL events have either been town invasions or in a dungeon. Putting this event on the seas is FUBAR!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMHO, it's insane to have to get in a boat to get the recipe for the new power items. Kinda like the green slugs, I said I'm not getting in a boat for this garbage idea. ALL events have either been town invasions or in a dungeon. Putting this event on the seas is FUBAR!
Thing is, though, that all of the 2019 ongoing event, called Rising Tide is based on a revamp of High Seas, which was all about the Sea....

So, given the theme, I do not see anything wrong, in having it all based on the Sea.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was looking forward to more armor sets will have to wait until next year

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
one huge mistake the devs have done was allowing free to cheat accounts to get cargo from towers. while a single paid account will/may get a cargo, the 10 plus free to cheat account will/may get up to 8 cargo off just one tower. most of you do not know how many tritons and/or gold coins these multi using accounts have received. I cant say what I want to about this.

will they allow 10 or more free to cheat accounts to buy up the ethereal sand once boss dies?
I bet the devs let them script it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, did I miss the part about what the Fellowship Coins are for, and what the Mysterious Fragments are for?

Did I miss the part about why the developers insist on making having fun in the game (you know, the purpose of the game) about 1,000 time more difficult than it needs to be?
If the coins have no purpose then why did they code the event that way ? They could have simply made it give the same message after you reach coin stage. If the coins indeed aren't worth anything or have no future use in bulk, then what they did was cheat people out of cargo value by leading us to believe they should all be turned into the fellowship instead of either benefiting cities through donation, or benefiting ourselves through the Pirate NPC.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
one huge mistake the devs have done was allowing free to cheat accounts to get cargo from towers. while a single paid account will/may get a cargo, the 10 plus free to cheat account will/may get up to 8 cargo off just one tower. most of you do not know how many tritons and/or gold coins these multi using accounts have received. I cant say what I want to about this.

will they allow 10 or more free to cheat accounts to buy up the ethereal sand once boss dies?
I bet the devs let them script it.
Why was this a huge mistake in your opinion ? And why the secret " I can't say what I want about this" part ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Fellowship NPC moved to the Fellowship Hall.

They have an item blocked.
upload_2019-8-30_19-58-34.png

Drop the ethereal soul binders in the box and get Fellowship Silver to buy the items?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cant keep up with all the recipes and NPCs and who gives what. Where do the Coins and the Mysterious Fragments fit in.

Gonna be busy soon!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, these devs don't play the game. They seriously think we're all out farming Charybdis.
Maybe they do now that nobody is farming him and are trying to change that? I'd encourage them in making positive changes to the content that nobody uses anymore.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
one huge mistake the devs have done was allowing free to cheat accounts to get cargo from towers. while a single paid account will/may get a cargo, the 10 plus free to cheat account will/may get up to 8 cargo off just one tower. .
Don't you need High Seas to do beacons?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I cant keep up with all the recipes and NPCs and who gives what. Where do the Coins and the Mysterious Fragments fit in.

Gonna be busy soon!
we should find out on the 3rd with the final publish to TC