• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warriors' suits : Medable or not medable ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a time, when a Warrior did not have much need for mana....

Back then, there were no Masteries and spells to cast where not that much important.

So, Warriors would use, without much trouble, non-medable Suits made out of materials where meditating in them was not that of an issue....

Then, things changed and now, be it a Sampire, ABC Archer, Dragoon, you name it, Mana is paramount for all of them.

Does this mean that non-medable Armor is DEAD FOR GOOD in today's UO and only medable Armor is worth making even for Warriors ?

If so, why do we still have all of these non-medable materials ?

Sure, the "Mage Armor" property can always be impued but it takes imbuing weight "against" other Properties which would instead be imbued, if the material was medable to start with....

Opinions ?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
It sounds like you don't really grasp how it works. You only need a medable suit if you are using the Meditation skill on the character. Having medable armour otherwise just prevents you from using armour refinements.

With some armour (not sure the criteria) you can pay npc Mages to add or remove the property.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It sounds like you don't really grasp how it works.
not really a surprise if you follow just about any other channel than this one... ;-)

@popps : warriors use non-medable armor because they don't use meditation and because non-medable armor offers a bonus on lower mana cost and protection against stamina loss from taking heavy hits. Studded, stone and bone armor has an extra 3% lmc per piece with medium stamina protection, while metal armor has an extra 1% lmc per piece and great stamina protection.

There are only 2 reasons for a warrior type character to have medable armor: they either run meditation or they have less than 105 stealth. If none of these apply use non-medable armor.

Now please, before you start complaining about how there is little to no documentation and make numerous crying threads about it on every forum, just accept this as a fact and move on.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With some armour (not sure the criteria) you can pay npc Mages to add or remove the property.
I'm not 100% on this but I didn't think "mage armor" could be removed from the pieces (I know that it can be added at the mage guild though). I'll have to check this when I get home because I'd want all mage armor removed from my dexer pieces (as explained by Max) and that seems like the default property on legendary items. I'll try to remember to confirm back here unless Lord G knows for a fact it can be removed as well.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana has always been needed on a worrior in some way or another.
Some hybrid templates like archer-mage uses medable armor.
Anyways its not that big of a difference between medable or none-medable suits, just as long as you have enough leeches on you're weapon.
It does give u an edge if u use studd/metal pieces on a suit for refinement and the extra lmc. But you can go very far without it.
guild master in mage shop can remove or add mage armor property.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
guild master in mage shop can remove or add mage armor property.
Well that's two that have said it can be removed too so I'll take that as some good info. Looking forward to being able to change switch that mage armor off of some pieces!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Lord GOD(GOD)

Thanks for the heads up.
I somehow had it confused and thought that medable/non-medable was not restricted to the meditation spell but affected the gaining of mana "in general", however it was gained up.... oh well....

Question.
When paying a NPC to add the Mage Armor property to a piece of armor, does that cound "against" the 500 imbuing weight available to add mods to that piece of armor, or does it come as a "free" additional modifier, "extra" of the 500 imbuing weight ?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Don't know, sorry. Usually if the character needs medable armour and I'm crafting and Imbuing it I've made it from medable pieces to begin with.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Lord GOD(GOD)

Thanks for the heads up.
I somehow had it confused and thought that medable/non-medable was not restricted to the meditation spell but affected the gaining of mana "in general", however it was gained up.... oh well....

Question.
When paying a NPC to add the Mage Armor property to a piece of armor, does that cound "against" the 500 imbuing weight available to add mods to that piece of armor, or does it come as a "free" additional modifier, "extra" of the 500 imbuing weight ?
When it comes to imbued items you absolutely need to do this LAST (after the piece is completely imbued). I'm not sure about the weight (which I assume does have property weight) but if you add this to an item with less than 5 mods the mage armor mod will account for 1 mod. It's much like if you enhance an item with certain materials (lets say Dull copper) before imbuing fully if you enhance, you will get the property (in this case Durability) and that accounts for a property at that point. It becomes a "free" mod only after the item is fully imbued (just like enhancing).

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to imbued items you absolutely need to do this LAST (after the piece is completely imbued). I'm not sure about the weight (which I assume does have property weight) but if you add this to an item with less than 5 mods the mage armor mod will account for 1 mod. It's much like if you enhance an item with certain materials (lets say Dull copper) before imbuing fully if you enhance, you will get the property (in this case Durability) and that accounts for a property at that point. It becomes a "free" mod only after the item is fully imbued (just like enhancing).
Cool, that is good to know, thanks a lot for clarifying it !!

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The NH mage guild guy, pyronarro, can remove or add mage armor to items. You cant add mage armor if there are more than 5 properties already present, but you can remove mage armor from anything.

This is really great for those high stam legendary studded/bone pieces you'd like for an archer suit, etc where the brittle isn't much of a detriment.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mana has always been needed on a worrior in some way or another.
Prior to AoS, almost no Warrior had high INT/Mana. The only existing Special Moves that could be toggled at will, were Wrestling's Disarm (which also required Arms Lore) and Paralyze Punch (which also required Anatomy), and those consumed Stamina, not Mana. Specials like Crushing Blow (Warhammer), Concussion Blow (Axes/Bardiche/Halberd), and Paralyze (Spear) were added with Renaissance, and they had a chance to proc based on your Anatomy skill.
The only reason to have more than 25 INT on a Warrior back then, was so that you didn't get destroyed by Mind Blast in PvP. Initially, Mind Blast did a comparison between the caster's INT, and the victim's INT, and did damage based on the difference, even damaging the caster if he had the lower INT. MB annihilated Warriors back then.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prior to AoS, almost no Warrior had high INT/Mana. The only existing Special Moves that could be toggled at will, were Wrestling's Disarm (which also required Arms Lore) and Paralyze Punch (which also required Anatomy), and those consumed Stamina, not Mana. Specials like Crushing Blow (Warhammer), Concussion Blow (Axes/Bardiche/Halberd), and Paralyze (Spear) were added with Renaissance, and they had a chance to proc based on your Anatomy skill.
The only reason to have more than 25 INT on a Warrior back then, was so that you didn't get destroyed by Mind Blast in PvP. Initially, Mind Blast did a comparison between the caster's INT, and the victim's INT, and did damage based on the difference, even damaging the caster if he had the lower INT. MB annihilated Warriors back then.
Partly true i would say, most rolled with magery on their warriors for healing and recall, back then there weren't many "pure" warriors due to limitations on skills to pick.
In some way i actually liked the simplicity back then. 7xgm and you were rolling. Now you have to grind for eons to be able to compete in pvp.
Loosing stam when using specials werent a bad idea imho and makes more sense than spending mana.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
The only reason to have more than 25 INT on a Warrior back then[...]
I didnt know that about anatomy giving the proc chance, I just new the specials proc'd sometimes. And that spears were good, lol.

Interesting though, that with +mana being such a common property, 25 INT is still all you really need on a warrior. Just like the good old days, except completely different.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Partly true i would say, most rolled with magery on their warriors for healing and recall, back then there weren't many "pure" warriors due to limitations on skills to pick.
In some way i actually liked the simplicity back then. 7xgm and you were rolling. Now you have to grind for eons to be able to compete in pvp.
Loosing stam when using specials werent a bad idea imho and makes more sense than spending mana.
Most Warriors had 40-50 Magery for Recall, which was 11 Mana. They didn't use it for healing. A typical Warrior template back then would've been GM Swords/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Resist/GM Parry/50 Magery/50 Hiding. After Renaissance boosted the damage of Axes/Bardiche/Halberd with GM LJ skill, you would've swapped GM Parry for GM LJ on a Swordsman.

I didnt know that about anatomy giving the proc chance, I just new the specials proc'd sometimes. And that spears were good, lol.

Interesting though, that with +mana being such a common property, 25 INT is still all you really need on a warrior. Just like the good old days, except completely different.
Yeah, the chance to proc the Special was 1/5 of your Anatomy skill, so GM Anatomy gave you a 20% chance to proc the special. Crushing Blow did +50% damage and was practically guaranteed to destroy a shield/armor piece in PvP, real nasty against other Warriors. Concussion Blow would halve the victim's INT/Mana for awhile, which was devastating against Mages. Paralyze Blow would of course paralyze for 3 secs (which didn't break on damage at first), and you could get it to chain if you got lucky with the RNG.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Most Warriors had 40-50 Magery for Recall, which was 11 Mana. They didn't use it for healing. A typical Warrior template back then would've been GM Swords/GM Tact/GM Anat/GM Healing/GM Resist/GM Parry/50 Magery/50 Hiding. After Renaissance boosted the damage of Axes/Bardiche/Halberd with GM LJ skill, you would've swapped GM Parry for GM LJ on a Swordsman.

Yeah, the chance to proc the Special was 1/5 of your Anatomy skill, so GM Anatomy gave you a 20% chance to proc the special. Crushing Blow did +50% damage and was practically guaranteed to destroy a shield/armor piece in PvP, real nasty against other Warriors. Concussion Blow would halve the victim's INT/Mana for awhile, which was devastating against Mages. Paralyze Blow would of course paralyze for 3 secs (which didn't break on damage at first), and you could get it to chain if you got lucky with the RNG.
What is the property on items like armor/weapons etc : "Durability +100%", like on an item that has durability of 210/210? No explanation in wiki.Ty in advance.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
It means it spawned or was created with that much more durability.

You can for example enhance with DC or Shadow for 50-100% more durability. I used to make my shields 510 durability by enhancing them after POF.