• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Max Number of Mods on an Item?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was sorting my armor and came across this. Is this the max number of mods? Not sure when I acquired it and I realize its Cursed and likely worth nothing - just crazy number of mods. Thats 13 mods plus -100 luck plus resist bumps x5. So what 20 mods?

GargishLegs_Legendary.jpg

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
18 positive, 4 negative.... An item before the change to items being limited to 1 negative property.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally don't understand the whole "max number of properties" debate since the last couple of tweaks - even the devs contradict themselves on it.

I was just explaining the FIRST item had FOUR negative properties, which was an artifact of the first iteration of the revised system, and no longer happens. That version had some pretty obscene items.......

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That version had some pretty obscene items.......
It did, but the 'negatives' at that time were actually bad enough people didn't want to use an item with 3/4 of them... -100 luck was the only tolerable one, unless it was an incredibly common item (like the mana phasing orb) where it was easy and/or very inexpensive to replace should it ever break. The random-generated loot items had to be replaced too often if they had brittle/cannot be repaired, or either combination of the two, you often wouldn't get another worthwhile replacement before said item wore out... wasn't worth it. not to mention, most of the people farming for items were wearing high luck pieces, and +luck pieces almost never dropped.... they still almost never drop lol.

Nowadays the negative that would have the strongest negative impact (aside from Cursed -which no one uses) is 50 stones because too many of those items can get you killed or at minimum heavily restrict how much you're able to carry, But, the '50 stone' property doesn't spawn on anything higher than 'lesser artifact' quality though, so it's pretty pointless.... so people are running around in full suits of brittle legendary artifacts.

No one's going to say "Hey... I think I'll change out my 'imbued' item, for this '50 stone' piece..." 100% because the quality of those items is so low compared to far less impactful negative & higher quality items.
like many things in UO, half of the dev's work is done backwards.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If there's a hard limit to the number of mods, we don't know what it is. A couple of years back we had a visitor named "Anon" who was holding a spellbook with so many mods they went off the screen.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It did, but the 'negatives' at that time were actually bad enough people didn't want to use an item with 3/4 of them... -100 luck was the only tolerable one, unless it was an incredibly common item (like the mana phasing orb) where it was easy and/or very inexpensive to replace should it ever break. The random-generated loot items had to be replaced too often if they had brittle/cannot be repaired, or either combination of the two, you often wouldn't get another worthwhile replacement before said item wore out... wasn't worth it. not to mention, most of the people farming for items were wearing high luck pieces, and +luck pieces almost never dropped.... they still almost never drop lol.

Nowadays the negative that would have the strongest negative impact (aside from Cursed -which no one uses) is 50 stones because too many of those items can get you killed or at minimum heavily restrict how much you're able to carry, But, the '50 stone' property doesn't spawn on anything higher than 'lesser artifact' quality though, so it's pretty pointless.... so people are running around in full suits of brittle legendary artifacts.

No one's going to say "Hey... I think I'll change out my 'imbued' item, for this '50 stone' piece..." 100% because the quality of those items is so low compared to far less impactful negative & higher quality items.
like many things in UO, half of the dev's work is done backwards.

Actually, there's a LOT of people who use Cursed.

Cursed effectively has NO EFFECT on Siege Perilous & Mugen, unless you want to use your ONE "Siege Bless" on it. (its only effect is no bless or insurance)
And, there's very little risk using a Cursed item outside of Fel, on the other shards, unless you solo stuff in isolated places a lot.

A lot of people don't understand "Brittle" either. It's just like having an imbued item. It can be enhanced, repaired, etc. And I've had some items in use for 3-4 years that are brittle that are still above 200 max resist. Brittle (or even antique) shields for non-humans without parry rarely take damage, unless you run into something (like an event monster) with a Monstrous Interred Grizzle style equipment attack.

I've even used some antique items such as jewelry) for a couple years on characters that are "stand-off" types (Bards, tamers, mages) that avoid melee. Where Antique really sucks is on melee equipment (weapons/shields) especially if the character has parry, followed by armor.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, there's a LOT of people who use Cursed.

Cursed effectively has NO EFFECT on Siege Perilous & Mugen, unless you want to use your ONE "Siege Bless" on it. (its only effect is no bless or insurance)
And, there's very little risk using a Cursed item outside of Fel, on the other shards, unless you solo stuff in isolated places a lot.

A lot of people don't understand "Brittle" either. It's just like having an imbued item. It can be enhanced, repaired, etc. And I've had some items in use for 3-4 years that are brittle that are still above 200 max resist. Brittle (or even antique) shields for non-humans without parry rarely take damage, unless you run into something (like an event monster) with a Monstrous Interred Grizzle style equipment attack.

I've even used some antique items such as jewelry) for a couple years on characters that are "stand-off" types (Bards, tamers, mages) that avoid melee. Where Antique really sucks is on melee equipment (weapons/shields) especially if the character has parry, followed by armor.
Cursed property doesnt spawn anymore on Siege perilous. Ive never seen anyone use cursed items on production shards. When you die with cursed items, monsters can loot you, even in Trammel you could end up loosing your cursed items.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use cursed items, even on production shards. I have a cursed armor of fortune on Siege... Any buyers?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cursed items are fine tbh. Especially for my sampire. Even if I happen to die with honor retrieving my goods is usually pretty easy. Can't stand antique though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're not playing in Fel, the chances of a cursed item being looted is low, and the chances of not getting it back even lower.

I donate cursed items to a Player Center for new/returning players (some of them artifact level), and cursed items don't seem to be any less popular than prized or clean (and since everything is free, price isn't a consideration). Of course, they probably replace the items once they get one not cursed.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're not playing in Fel, the chances of a cursed item being looted is low, and the chances of not getting it back even lower.

I donate cursed items to a Player Center for new/returning players (some of them artifact level), and cursed items don't seem to be any less popular than prized or clean (and since everything is free, price isn't a consideration). Of course, they probably replace the items once they get one not cursed.
The problem wasn't with cursed items per se - its the implementation of them.

If the cursed items came from a known set (limited) and you could readily replace it by hunting - then they would be useful. THe problem is cursed items are every bit as variable as any other loot. When you are crafting a suit to hit max DCI and Max resists and max LMC and 100 LRC and you have a gorget with the right resists and LMC 10 and LRC 20 and DCI 5 and then you lose it - what are the odds getting the same cursed gorget again? Like 1 million to 1. So you pick up a new gorget and have to start the suit building all over again.

Now if there were 3 cursed gorgets that dropped and lost gorget A....then you could hunt for another gorget A to throw back into your suit and carry on.

If cursed items worked like this - this would be useful but not overpowering because eventually you would run out of said gorget and have to hunt again.

As it stands now - most people just throw out cursed. Yes you can build some random sutis for newbs out of it - but for the regular player - they have little use because you can't find one like it if you lose it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
how about this only 1 negative and 12+ mods , what explanation you have to this @Basara ? why can this not spawn anymore?
View attachment 97695
I can give some clarity on this as I've picked a few things up regarding this specifically but I'm not 100% certain on everything myself. I believe these are commonly referred to as "no name" or "unnamed" legendary artifacts (if you see people buying these that's what they call them). You will notice that it only says "Wooden shield" instead of something like "Towering Wooden Shield of Fortune". Typically items WILL have a some adjective before and after the item name which essentially give it the item's attribute. This is a super simplified example to make it more clear without diving into all mods for a particular name... for example "of fortune" property is something that gives the item higher luck intensity (doesn't have to be 150) and that is the only type of stats that would go on there (you wouldn't get spell channeling from Auspicious of Fortune).

This is where is it gets a little unclear for me (would love if someone else had knowledge and could elaborate)... I think these items used to spawn more commonly but still spawn now if you have super high luck (or maybe just a certain luck amount) and are killing something that can drop legendary artifacts. Based on my understanding the item is created as a legendary but it doesn't receive the property names a typical item would and therefore it isn't confined to just those mods and is able to have anything on the list of mods (I thought the more luck on your suit meant more mods / more intense mods). So both pieces shown are no namers so you will find all the mods available like + stats / regens / Spell channel / luck / defense chance / swing speed / etc.

Would love for some confirmation on this though as this is kind of what I've pieced together from talking to different people throughout the years.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can give some clarity on this as I've picked a few things up regarding this specifically but I'm not 100% certain on everything myself. I believe these are commonly referred to as "no name" or "unnamed" legendary artifacts (if you see people buying these that's what they call them). You will notice that it only says "Wooden shield" instead of something like "Towering Wooden Shield of Fortune". Typically items WILL have a some adjective before and after the item name which essentially give it the item's attribute. This is a super simplified example to make it more clear without diving into all mods for a particular name... for example "of fortune" property is something that gives the item higher luck intensity (doesn't have to be 150) and that is the only type of stats that would go on there (you wouldn't get spell channeling from Auspicious of Fortune).

This is where is it gets a little unclear for me (would love if someone else had knowledge and could elaborate)... I think these items used to spawn more commonly but still spawn now if you have super high luck (or maybe just a certain luck amount) and are killing something that can drop legendary artifacts. Based on my understanding the item is created as a legendary but it doesn't receive the property names a typical item would and therefore it isn't confined to just those mods and is able to have anything on the list of mods (I thought the more luck on your suit meant more mods / more intense mods). So both pieces shown are no namers so you will find all the mods available like + stats / regens / Spell channel / luck / defense chance / swing speed / etc.

Would love for some confirmation on this though as this is kind of what I've pieced together from talking to different people throughout the years.
These ''unamed'' legendary artifacts with no prefix or suffix names means there is a third or fourth category of mods on the item. Which means alot of mods are allowed to be mixed together, I just have not found a ''unamed'' gear legendary piece with over than 8 mods in a while.. In the shield I posted above I beleive all the prefix and suffix names on it would be : ''Invigorating / of Restoration'' + ''animated/haste'' + ''towering/defense'' + ''arcane/wizardy'' so thats 4 names total .

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
These ''unamed'' legendary artifacts with no prefix or suffix names means there is a third or fourth category of mods on the item. Which means alot of mods are allowed to be mixed together, I just have not found a ''unamed'' gear legendary piece with over than 8 mods in a while.. In the shield I posted above I beleive all the prefix and suffix names on it would be : ''Invigorating / of Restoration'' + ''animated/haste'' + ''towering/defense'' + ''arcane/wizardy'' so thats 4 names total .
That sounds about right. I've seen a few items like this on other people but I'm not sure if they are newer or older. It seems that when there are a lot of mods on a piece the intensities aren't always very high of the mods. I think your shield is certainly as exception there and this is completely just my take on it but I think a "Mystic X of Wizardry" would have something like 10 mana 5 int 4 MR etc whereas an unnamed piece might be 8 mana 2 int 2 MR but also have HP & HPR etc.

Do you happen to know if these legendary items are still being spawned today? If so, am I correct with the maxing out luck or are they randomly created?

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That sounds about right. I've seen a few items like this on other people but I'm not sure if they are newer or older. It seems that when there are a lot of mods on a piece the intensities aren't always very high of the mods. I think your shield is certainly as exception there and this is completely just my take on it but I think a "Mystic X of Wizardry" would have something like 10 mana 5 int 4 MR etc whereas an unnamed piece might be 8 mana 2 int 2 MR but also have HP & HPR etc.

Do you happen to know if these legendary items are still being spawned today? If so, am I correct with the maxing out luck or are they randomly created?
5 Mana increase is cap on shields , some mods are lowers on shields , but all the mods on mine are all capped (imbuing cap) or overcapped.

They were spawned with only high luck yes, I might have found 1 or 2 jewels with like 9-10 mods recently but thats it , not a single gear pieces with more than 8 mods without counting the resistances as a mod