• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS The original inspiration for Davies Locker! How many Treasure Maps will you dig up in...

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it is already a hashtag #forgottentreasures that people already use with over 3k pictures in it... will be hard to follow - and totally irrelevant hashtag for this game.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've never done treasure hunting before. What skills will I need?

Are plunderbeacons and mythic cargo sticking around or going away?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once the system is updated, you will need cartography, lock picking and remove trap for the basic T-hunter template + which ever skill you want to fight.

Plunderbeacons are probably going away after the next publish, though I think they should stay around in smaller numbers to spice things up.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once the system is updated, you will need cartography, lock picking and remove trap for the basic T-hunter template + which ever skill you want to fight.

Plunderbeacons are probably going away after the next publish, though I think they should stay around in smaller numbers to spice things up.
Is it a definite that remove trap is going to be required for opening treasure chests?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it a definite that remove trap is going to be required for opening treasure chests?
For higher level ones, telekinesis won't work. RT would also allow access to special loot, though Kyronix has yet to reveal how that will work.

RT is also being reworked to be less of a PITA to train. You also won't need to have detect hidden for it to function.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For higher level ones, telekinesis won't work.
To be honest, I stopped using telekinesis decades ago, I've always just popped the chest and healed up, never ever died from the splosion. Be interesting to see how they get around that other than making the chest outright kill you every time.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not use another useless skill to open the chest. Like mmnh begging.
'Please open a Bit' or 'please disarm ur trap little chest '. What a mess to skill up the TH.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
haha!

for years i have been rattling my cup against the bar's saying they need to do exactly this to T-Hunting!

im sooooooooo happy!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds to me like they are gonna bork thunting , it was enjoyable now they are gonna make it that much more of a drag if you need ANOTHER skill to open a chest. No idea why they continually have to make stuff more of a grind. I guess it is the way this team thinks we all wanna play............. grind r us.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For higher level ones, telekinesis won't work. RT would also allow access to special loot, though Kyronix has yet to reveal how that will work.

RT is also being reworked to be less of a PITA to train. You also won't need to have detect hidden for it to function.
Dope. LONG overdue.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds to me like they are gonna bork thunting , it was enjoyable now they are gonna make it that much more of a drag if you need ANOTHER skill to open a chest. No idea why they continually have to make stuff more of a grind. I guess it is the way this team thinks we all wanna play............. grind r us.
Another case of something that should have been fixed literally over a decade ago. Remove trap has always been the worst skill in the game, I'm just glad to see it get some love.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I had hoped they would let Cartography take over for mining (which can then be put back on the tinker/smith where it makes more sense) and leave that slot open for more skills related to offense/defense.

But no...as usual. Well I'll shut up.
One of these days I will learn not to get my hopes up with this team. It was my fault for even thinking we might get a decent upgrade without more hoops to jump thru.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So they are adding remove trap as a requirement, but leaving mining as well?

Correction: They are adding the mining functionality into carto. That's nice. But I would still love to make my own tmaps!

At least give us the ability to make our own tmaps and bury them. They mentioned a player-run quest system back at the 20th party. Let's throw an extra bone in if we're going to destroy every current thunter in the game.

Last edited:

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Did anyone else notice that there is no #2 on the map of Britannia ?
Two must really be a forgotten treasure

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I had hoped they would let Cartography take over for mining (which can then be put back on the tinker/smith where it makes more sense) and leave that slot open for more skills related to offense/defense.

But no...as usual. Well I'll shut up.
One of these days I will learn not to get my hopes up with this team. It was my fault for even thinking we might get a decent upgrade without more hoops to jump thru.
Did you read this post by Kyronix? High Seas Update: Treasure Chests & MIB Treasures - Page 3

and this one? High Seas Update: Treasure Chests & MIB Treasures - Page 3

and this one? High Seas Update: Treasure Chests & MIB Treasures - Page 4

and especially this one? High Seas Update: Treasure Chests & MIB Treasures - Page 4

and this one? High Seas Update: Treasure Chests & MIB Treasures - Page 4

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They mentioned a player-run quest system back at the 20th party. Let's throw an extra bone in if we're going to destroy every current thunter in the game.
I'd like to know what happened to that too, no mention of it at all since then and it was supposed to be around the same time as EJ.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes. I had already read them. And I stand by what I said, why add yet another skill to train (even if it is a trade off for mining) when you could let us use that 100 pts in defense/offense...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Having read all that crap I still stand by not wanting to train up yet another useless skill either...

I already use Magery with Telekinesis so now you are taking a skill and giving it a use and then at the same time taking a useful spell and making it useless... I fail to see the logic in any of that. EPIC FAIL IMO...

To top it off you are saving me from having to have stupid mining which I spent hours and hours working up on my T-Hunter and now making me once again have to change my template to add yet another stupid skill to it which I'll have to work hours and hours to add... and this isn't something I can just "work around" with dropping a map in a locker... NO this will be something that I will essentially NEED to have. I say it's CRAP and it peeves me off that because some jerk thought it would be fun to have this skill and give it a use (probably some miserable SOB that already worked the stupid skill up to GM)..... now the rest of us have to suffer and work it up too... Don't want to grind out yet another skill ...... when are they going to change their minds again and tell me I need to grind out item ID as well to T-Hunt????? That's a useless skill too.... what's next Camping???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just because remove trap has been a useless skill, doesnt mean it HAS to find a life. In fact, why not drop it from the list entirely? Along with a few others I can name.
Some NOOB walks into the UO forums and says why are there so many useless skills? Then the devs decide to toss one into an already full template.

Hopefully camping is not next.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:facepalm:

RT is replacing mining. This isn't a secret.

RT will be easier to train. It's also already part of the Mythic token.

Some of you are addicted to complaining...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Easier to train than what? The non required skill it replaces?

I hate skilling!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Reading through the UO.com thread, I don't see anything super objectionable. The need for mining, which always struck me as kind of weird, is going away, so those points will be freed up for remove trap. Kyronix mentioned making it more interactive like plague lords or other puzzles, and that could be neat. If the loot and content are actually interesting/worthwhile and permanent, I don't mind having to change a single skill on a character.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have NEVER used MINING on my t-hunter, so adding Remove trap is just another waste of 100 skill points. Sorry, it should of just been adding the functionality of what mining gave to cartography (for those that had mining as a crutch) and leave it at that.

When you think of what 100 skill points gives you on say magery or mysticism or weaving or necro etc etc a ton of useful spells, stuff like remove trap is at BEST a niche skill useful for a miniscule action. The fact you have points invested in something like magery with telekenensis and magic unlock etc should of been enough.

This is just added grind and a waste of 100 points. Remove trap should of just been dumped rather than make it waste so much space on a template.

I am so OVER these so called 'improvements' when they are NOT improvements just more grind.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been awhile since I read the main thread... but from what I recall, RT wouldn't be required unless you want all the special stuff. And frankly, if they're adding more special stuff to treasure maps, I think it's worth having it require another skill.

People just don't like that they have to put in some effort and possibly won't be able to solo every single level of map. There are viable templates if you make a few sacrifices and don't expect to have the most powerfully offensive character possible.

Templates like treasure hunters require some compromise. As I've said a few times recently... you can't eat your cake and have it, too. If you want power, you can't have the special stuff, and if you want the special stuff, you can't have all the power.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Don't care still trading one thing that's useless to make another thing useless... Still stupid IMO and unnecessary to make me grind out another ****ing skill that will be a ****ing grind and will add what a .0.000000000001% chance for me to get something special like everything else in the game ....... like Bait and that stupid fishing suit?!!!!?!?! NO ...... I think it's BULL.... and a crock of hooey... you can pat them on the back all you want and kiss their behinds but I think it stinks.... and I'm NOT happy about it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't care still trading one thing that's useless to make another thing useless... Still stupid IMO and unnecessary to make me grind out another ****ing skill that will be a ****ing grind and will add what a .0.000000000001% chance for me to get something special like everything else in the game ....... like Bait and that stupid fishing suit?!!!!?!?! NO ...... I think it's BULL.... and a crock of hooey... you can pat them on the back all you want and kiss their behinds but I think it stinks.... and I'm NOT happy about it.
small-violin.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:lol: I predicted those 2 replies above.

Now we should have to also have detect hidden or you wont see the HIDDEN compartment. Yes, that idea is also in the thread. Then we need Taste ID so we can lick the traps to see if they are poisoned.

Lots of T hunters never used mining so I doubt they will find this a welcome addition.

And I brought up that if they make T hunting a group activity, will the reward go to all. Nope the finder will have to share he said.

Also I thought he said carto replaces the mining bonus.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing for the people complaining... it's not even on TC yet. All you're doing is whining about speculations. No one but the devs currently know exactly what they're planning and how they're going to revamp and implement any skills.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another thing for the people complaining... it's not even on TC yet. All you're doing is whining about speculations. No one but the devs currently know exactly what they're planning and how they're going to revamp and implement any skills.
Better to express opinions now than when it is released. Whining about whiners is also whining.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better to express opinions now than when it is released. Whining about whiners is also whining.
I'm not whining. I'm merely pointing out that no one even knows for sure what the devs have planned. So why is everyone riling themselves up over something that may or may not even be implemented?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I too have never used mining on T-hunters, given I have multiple T-hunters across multiple shards all with the same template:

120 Taming
110 Lore
90 Vet
100 Mage
100 Resist
100 Carto
100 Lockpick

Now I'll be expected to sacrifice a skill (resist the very obvious choice) to train up Remove Trap on ALL my T-hunters. If I have to do it, I'll do it, but I won't be happy about it and the incentive better be worth it!

Am I whining about it, not really, maybe a little. I'm just highlighting the fact that it is not just a simple trade off Mining > Remove Trap for everyone, and It is not just on one character for many too.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People who worked a template for solo high level maps will be screwed. Get a second account or go home. But that's those Devs we got.. No way I find another 100 skill points on the TH

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My understanding is that the mining "bonus" will be incorporated by Cartography, NOT Remove Trap.

Remove Trap, is my understanding, will be needed in order to reveal or, better even, prevent from being destroyed, a secret compartment with "extra" loot.

That is, while it would be good to have Remove Trap, I seem to understand that it will not be mandatory if one does not care about salvaging the special, hidden compartment from being destroyed.

But I could well be mistaken in my understanding.....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reading through the UO.com thread, I don't see anything super objectionable. The need for mining, which always struck me as kind of weird, is going away, so those points will be freed up for remove trap. Kyronix mentioned making it more interactive like plague lords or other puzzles, and that could be neat. If the loot and content are actually interesting/worthwhile and permanent, I don't mind having to change a single skill on a character.
".....so those points will be freed up for remove trap....."

Well, to tell the story entirely, it should also be mentioned that MANY Treasure Hunting Templates ALREADY did not have Mining in them.... they would either use the better Maps of the Enhanced Client to locate the Chests or use other ways....

HAVING to put on Remove Trap WILL mess up quite a number of Treasure Hunting Templates.....

If at all, they should make it possible to have Remove Trap from ITEMS....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
People aren't just whining, they are upset because a template that they worked on for a long time will have to be changed and for what reason? To make useless skills useful again? Those skills should either have been removed years ago or some actual thought should have gone into making them useful in their own right, not annoying t-hunters who were quite happy with their templates, no complaining here, even though they could be a bit crowded. What people asked for was a boost to loot, not a revamp, revamps in UO have not always gone well. People are entitled to give their opinion, it has to be done BEFORE it gets to test or it's pretty much too late. They'll probably just ignore us and do what they please anyhow, that's how it usually goes. If you are happy to accept ANY changes thrown at you, then good for you, just say so, don't bash other people who feel differently. But it's UO so you best be careful what you wish for.

Makaveli

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think its a great itea having remove trap on a t hunter..... sounds normal... and the fact i have gm remove trap sitting on a soulstone for many years now :D

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope after this change they never ever ever 'improve' anything again. Seriously. They can't get it right.

Remove Trap for that 'special loot'...right.

In six months that special loot will be tossed just like the wooden steed and arctic death dealers lol.

We asked for a loot bump...guess just doing that was too hard for them. They were worried about power creep? Shoulda been worried about that when they made 'the roof".

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People aren't just whining, they are upset because a template that they worked on for a long time will have to be changed and for what reason? To make useless skills useful again? Those skills should either have been removed years ago or some actual thought should have gone into making them useful in their own right, not annoying t-hunters who were quite happy with their templates, no complaining here, even though they could be a bit crowded. What people asked for was a boost to loot, not a revamp, revamps in UO have not always gone well. People are entitled to give their opinion, it has to be done BEFORE it gets to test or it's pretty much too late. They'll probably just ignore us and do what they please anyhow, that's how it usually goes. If you are happy to accept ANY changes thrown at you, then good for you, just say so, don't bash other people who feel differently. But it's UO so you best be careful what you wish for.
Unfortunately, the thread on the official forum discussing the changes has been locked since about March 9th, so if you weren't paying attention to the discussion earlier this year and giving feedback on that forum, it's pretty much too late now to try to give feedback.

People also need to remember that although things may change and you won't need to have detect hidden skill on the character that wants to use the remove trap skill, you will need to have on the same character or a different one tinkering skill that needs to be trained up alongside the remove trap skill and you will have to keep trapping the training box(es) over and over again as you train up remove trap. You cannot train remove trap using boxes trapped by a GM tinker. The skill of the tinker trapping the boxes for the character training remove trap has to be 10 points or so higher than the remove trap skill for effective training.

It is going to really be a bad thing for players if making this change amounts to nothing more than a cash grab by EA / Broadsword because players will have to buy more soulstones and mythic character tokens. So, if you're in some kind of secret focus group that has the ear of the dev team, you might want to be sure you're passing along the feedback from here because I think there will be a lot of unhappy players once people wake up to what is going to happen. I trained remove trap skill several times when factions were still around. Unfortunately for me, the characters that have it now are not on the same accounts as the characters that have trained cartography. I'm not looking forward to this change and it is really making me wonder why I'm still paying for UO. Most things that have been added over the last couple of years have really been aimed at the power players who have lots of time to play and/or lots of money to burn with third-party vendors. That's not the way I want to play UO so I may have to do some serious soul searching about UO here real soon and decide if I still want to keep my 7 accounts active.

More information is needed from the dev team at this point before this all changes and it really does need to be presented to players in a way that doesn't make them feel like this is already in cement and they don't care how many customers they are going to lose.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Just learn to take 2 characters to do tmaps. One to dig it up , one to pick lock and remove traps

So easy, duh .....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I only have one paid account and I have no interest in using two characters when I deliberately made one template that was capable of doing any maps I chose to. Swapping stuff around on soulstones is pretty ridiculous too....some of us spent a lot of time making a dedicated t-hunter. I sometimes wish they would just leave stuff alone. :(