• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS The original inspiration for Davies Locker! How many Treasure Maps will you dig up in...

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know UO isn't real world but the word "cartography" means the study and practice of making maps.

Soo a cartographer can get you to the treasure map location but who will dig it up? Oh I don't know maybe someone with a mining skill?

I have a couple characters and know people that have treasure hunters with zero mining and they still get treasures. What if each level treasure needed a certain mining skill to dig it up?

But as others have said and I agree with it is why make these huge changes to character templates at this stage in the game?

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do a lot of t-maps, and I for one thinks its great they are finaly goin to start doin something with useless skills like remove trap.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At the risk of being called 'noob', I have some silly questions ...

1. Why not take an underdeveloped or new character, skill it up in RT and stone it for later when there is more info on its use?

2. If mining (skill) in the TH sense is gonna be part of carto, what is the effect of that gonna be on miners/ore collectors? Will they not need mining? Should they train up carto to get it?

I'm not a THunter, but have gone on runs with one or two. So I have SOME knowledge of the pain. To me, RT was a PITA for training up thieves and chest-hunting mages. I finally gave up and changed hunting grounds and toon specs to avoid needing it.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of being called 'noob', I have some silly questions ...

1. Why not take an underdeveloped or new character, skill it up in RT and stone it for later when there is more info on its use?

2. If mining (skill) in the TH sense is gonna be part of carto, what is the effect of that gonna be on miners/ore collectors? Will they not need mining? Should they train up carto to get it?

I'm not a THunter, but have gone on runs with one or two. So I have SOME knowledge of the pain. To me, RT was a PITA for training up thieves and chest-hunting mages. I finally gave up and changed hunting grounds and toon specs to avoid needing it.
If they implement RT, they'll likely change how difficult it is to train.

In regards to treasure hunting, it shouldn't affect miners in the least. Currently mining on a treasure hunter only affects distance from which you can locate the chest. It has nothing to do with mining ore.

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just hope they do not make to where u need 2 accounts. this would make everyone that is using one account to consider quitting. not sure if I can fit remove traps and still have mining but oh well. it seems like most everything the devs have been doing lately is geared toward the multi account use. just my opinions

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope they do not make to where u need 2 accounts. this would make everyone that is using one account to consider quitting. not sure if I can fit remove traps and still have mining but oh well. it seems like most everything the devs have been doing lately is geared toward the multi account use. just my opinions
You shouldn't need mining anymore since they're moving its functionality with treasure hunting to Cartography

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All of you suggesting "mythic token" and "underused character" method

1. Where am I going to get said token for free?
  2. Where am I going to get an underused character to use the token or train a new skill, on an account with all 7 characters complete, with all my soulstones in use except the one that's used for swapping 1 skill out?
    2.a. Who will buy the 4 soulstones I would need to get to where I could even USE a mythic token?
  3. So, where am I going to get the MONTHS of time to train the skill, since I PLAY my characters most of the time I'm on, not training for training's sake? Waiting for a faster means of training that comes AFTER the changes take effect, means losing a couple weeks.
The advice that tells everyone to spend money is a "let them eat cake", while valid for some, is insulting to those of us on a budget. The solution is to make the skill much more easy to train, at least for a couple months (preferably starting the month before, and ending a month into the changes)

BTW, I sent Kyronix a private reply to my post on that (closed) uo.com thread. I actually agree with half of what he said, and he misunderstood what I was saying about RT.

Having RT be an option (and removing Telekinesis) is perfectly fine. Making RT mandatory (where one must have it to open a chest) is not.

My character has always blown himself up, as he's a chiv melee T-hunter. Kyronix does need to investigate the explosion code, though. While most characters with 100+ HP don't die from popping a level 5, 6, or 7 chest, I have a 110+ HP character that dies to about 1 in 10 LEVEL TWO chests. I've seen damage numbers as I die appear above me of 150-170, through all 70s resists, from those map chests and paragon chests with those maps in them.

My suggestion to him would be a "Treasures" type event with possible collection type stuff, and all the chests in ALL the dungeons made to have loot (And not all-normal loot like the few that have loot tend to have), and have the event dungeon itself have its chests act like alacrity scrolls when someone under GM removes the traps.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So yeah figured I may as well start training remove trap on a char I rarely use that has lp/hide/stealth/detect etc already on it. Got the detect to over 50 so could get the RT training from the thief, Took me to 31 skill, then tried to get gains. Well tried trapped boxes down in the warriors guild but after dying 5 times for 0 gain figured that was a total waste of effort, so then created another char to make me some trapped tinker boxes at 50 skill level. I already had some at 70 tinker level, and some at gm level.

Well after an HOUR of removing where I would either get hit by the dart/heal, or fail, I had 0 gains no matter what box level i used. So then I ate some pinks to take my skill up to 37.8 figuring maybe that would help, and after a further 2 hours I have got to 38.2 so a whole .4 gain.

After much googling it seems that is the only way to train, that I could find, so what gives? This is totally moronic. I know they are talking about making it 'easier' to train but I figure if they are gonna introduce this skill then they had better do something drastic to this. I have 8 alacrity scrolls in RT, but they are not worth even using at 38.2 skill when in two HOURS I have only managed .4 in gains.

Anyone else trained this useless skill in the past few months and have any tips as to how to make it raise. I even went and got the char discorded in despise and tried removing at 27 skill again, no gains.

Oh and btw, using the crystal ball of knowledge says the 50 crafted skill boxes (used both a 50 carpenter and tinker to make them) says it is 'too challenging' and the ones in the shops are either 'too challenging' or KILL me every time or are 'too easy'.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So yeah figured I may as well start training remove trap on a char I rarely use that has lp/hide/stealth/detect etc already on it. Got the detect to over 50 so could get the RT training from the thief, Took me to 31 skill, then tried to get gains. Well tried trapped boxes down in the warriors guild but after dying 5 times for 0 gain figured that was a total waste of effort, so then created another char to make me some trapped tinker boxes at 50 skill level. I already had some at 70 tinker level, and some at gm level.

Well after an HOUR of removing where I would either get hit by the dart/heal, or fail, I had 0 gains no matter what box level i used. So then I ate some pinks to take my skill up to 37.8 figuring maybe that would help, and after a further 2 hours I have got to 38.2 so a whole .4 gain.

After much googling it seems that is the only way to train, that I could find, so what gives? This is totally moronic. I know they are talking about making it 'easier' to train but I figure if they are gonna introduce this skill then they had better do something drastic to this. I have 8 alacrity scrolls in RT, but they are not worth even using at 38.2 skill when in two HOURS I have only managed .4 in gains.

Anyone else trained this useless skill in the past few months and have any tips as to how to make it raise. I even went and got the char discorded in despise and tried removing at 27 skill again, no gains.
If possible, stone off as many skills from the training character as you can to minimize your skills total. Use dart-trapped boxes that were made with tinkering skill that is from 5.0 to 10.0 points higher than the remove trap skill. (The tinker should probably wear a tinkering talisman, at least to begin with when tinkering skill is low. I think 30 is about as low as you can start with and still be able to dart trap boxes.) Make sure your character is NOT wearing gloves, but make sure everything else it is wearing has high physical resist to keep the character alive when a trap removal fails. Make sure the character has a way to heal, e.g., healing, chiv, or magery.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just learn to take 2 characters to do tmaps. One to dig it up , one to pick lock and remove traps

So easy, duh .....
See. People with one account will be screwed. Might as well just drop it. If this goes live it's RIP TH, but like they couldn't care less.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The thought of having to train up another tedious skill when I already get very bad tendonitis from repeated mouse clicking is just not making me feel good about any changes, I didn't have tendonitis when I started to train up my T-hunter 3 years ago. T-hunts and SOS are the last fun things I can do alone, I don't need to wait for a group or try to rally guildmates, I can do it with very little preparation by myself, take that away and I don't really have much left to log in for. I really hope they will think this through better than some other 'revamps', such as Despise...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The thought of having to train up another tedious skill when I already get very bad tendonitis from repeated mouse clicking is just not making me feel good about any changes, I didn't have tendonitis when I started to train up my T-hunter 3 years ago. T-hunts and SOS are the last fun things I can do alone, I don't need to wait for a group or try to rally guildmates, I can do it with very little preparation by myself, take that away and I don't really have much left to log in for. I really hope they will think this through better than some other 'revamps', such as Despise...
This is exactly how I feel... not that I do these much anymore since well there really isn't any reason to... nothing in there that's going to be really that great save the occasional pink if you do them in Fel but I can get as many if not better pinks from doing trade runs and benefitting my city at the same time... so again... not much reason for actually doing chests anymore... the imbuing ingredients you get from them are mostly crappy ones...

It would be cool if the chests gave unique stuff... like special colored cloth, unique colored dyes, something... really anything unique to chests... the only thing there is right now is a few tamables you can only get from chests... otherwise everything else is stuff that has been around for years or stuff that you can get elsewhere just as easily...

MIB's haven't had new stuff in ages... and sadly the stuff they do have everyone has tons of... and no one wants it... and the fishing quests are such a nightmare... you either have to continually have your boat out or lose what you have built up by deleting the chest... either risk losing your boat because you aren't always using it or risk losing your standing with the quests... and you almost never get anything worthwhile from doing them anyway... and don't even get me started on getting a 0.00000001% chance at improving your chance at getting one of the rare fish with bait and the stupid suit...

Changes made to that I'd look forward to... but really they need more reasons to do them and to keep doing them... Something fresh and unique...

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I thought of something that I haven't seen anyone else bring up yet. And it will be a headache for those wishing to do multple maps while other players are doing the same.

You know the treasure chests do not decay until sever down unless you manually select it to disappear ? Imagine the chaos and upset words in gen chat when you come along and you can't dig your map because someone else has left theirs after completing it

.... I wonder if these new tmaps will have some sort of timer on them after they've been dug up?

Just something to consider ...

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought of something that I haven't seen anyone else bring up yet. And it will be a headache for those wishing to do multple maps while other players are doing the same.

You know the treasure chests do not decay until sever down unless you manually select it to disappear ? Imagine the chaos and upset words in gen chat when you come along and you can't dig your map because someone else has left theirs after completing it

.... I wonder if these new tmaps will have some sort of timer on them after they've been dug up?

Just something to consider ...
Destroying the chest after completion is just a common courtesy that I feel most treasure hunters follow. After years of doing treasure maps on both Atlantic and Catskills, I can count the number of times I've run into someone else's abandoned chest on one hand.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Maybe so

But those were probably times when not many people were on at the same time.
Imagine day 1 and 2 when this publish comes out. And two or more groups are at the same location and their map won't pull up

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe so

But those were probably times when not many people were on at the same time.
Imagine day 1 and 2 when this publish comes out. And two or more groups are at the same location and their map won't pull up
First, let me reiterate that I've been doing treasure maps for years. You know, since back when there were set locations and you could use a rune library to find them.

I feel like this is even less of an issue now than it was then given the randomization. The odds of getting two treasure chests at the exact same coordinates at the same time are slim to nil. You can get close, perhaps, but I highly doubt it'll be an issue at all.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can't see there being any problem on Europa, maybe on Atlantic people are not so polite....my husband taught me all about t-hunting and he made sure I knew it was rude to not remove your chest.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last time I hit a spot that had a chest on it, I just dug mine, it came up whjere the old one was with no problem

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Y'all are probably right , just a thought I had of an instance I can foresee happening where I play

Sadly , not every shard is full of people with respect and manners

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This just came from the test centre forum :

'So, I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes, but I just attempted telekinesis on a chest to see what would happen... and it turned everything except the gem bag and its contents to dust. Woo. Remove trap it is.'

'I've also noticed that despite having 100 lockpicking and a skeleton key, I failed to pick the lock of a Supply chest several times, costing me all the loot inside short of the gem bag. (which looks adorable, by the way)'

What happened to only needed Remove Trap for Special Extra Items?? That would have been bad enough....

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately, the thread on the official forum discussing the changes has been locked since about March 9th, so if you weren't paying attention to the discussion earlier this year and giving feedback on that forum, it's pretty much too late now to try to give feedback.
This is true - it's too late now - it was too late even back then when that forum thread started (which I followed from the beginning) - it was always too late - so now we just have to live with it

a cash grab by EA / Broadsword because players will have to buy more soulstones and mythic character tokens.
There you have it

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
FYI, I just copied a thunter to test center and posted this on the uo.com forum
1. 3 chests in a row, I've found the spot but chest won't spawn and I keep getting the message "You're already digging"
2. GM carto keep getting msg that I need more time to decode a map
3. I thought remove trap was going to be an extra, but telekinesis turns the whole chest to dust (I haven't been able to dig up a chest to test this, but people keep complaining about it in general chat, so it's apparently par for course)
EDIT: For those who don't use the UO forum, here is Kyronix's reply - especially note his statement, "What you see won't resemble the final implementation at all."
  1. Is being looked into - more information as to how you arrived in that state would be helpful. Did you move during digging? Did you cast? [my answer here: Did I cast? Yes, as a mystic, I always hit the "fly" macro, cast a rising colossus and then pre-cast invisibility while digging up the chest]
  2. We are looking into this issue as well.
  3. Nothing related to Remove Trap, Traps, Telekenesis, is finalized. What you see won't resemble the final implementation at all. For now use the test center commands to set your RT & DH skills to remove the trap."

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There seems to be a bug where you get guardians but no chest....great, what exactly are we meant to be testing again? :(

Forge002

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Anyone have any idea roughly the timescale as when this may roll out to live shards? I have 80+ t-maps and am agonizing should i do them now before these changes or wait?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
According to the plan for 2019 it should be live in June.